A composite full-rigged ship Ein Vollschiff in Komposit ... - Halmstad

halmstad.se

A composite full-rigged ship Ein Vollschiff in Komposit ... - Halmstad

A composite full-rigged ship

HMS Najaden (1897) is 48.8 meters long, 8.4 meters broad and 3.7

meters draught. Fully equipped, weighs 350 tons and has 740 m² of

sail area (excluding stun sails). Her crew consisted of 20 officers and

100 ship’s boys.

Najaden is a full-rigged ship which is characterized by having at least

three masts with square sails on all masts. The masts are called foremast;

main mast and mizzen mast.

Along with the Cutty Sark Najaden is the only remaining full-rigged

ship with composite built hull (iron steel frames with planking). The

sister ship HMS Jarramas, in Karlskrona has a metal hull and was built

3 years later (1900).

Najaden has since 1946 - been a beautiful symbol for Halmstad.

A piece of cultural history that helps us remember the old days when

sailing ships large and small were plying on the Nissan. Najaden is

now registered as a museum at the Ministry of Transports registry of

shipping, with the management and conservation by the ”Association

Friends of Najaden” in cooperation with the Municipality of

Halmstad.

Milestones

1897 Built and launched in Karlskrona

1940 Port Blockade in Torekov

1946 Donated to the city of Halmstad

1956 Moved to its present berth

1971-72 New Mast’s

1976-77 Re-rigged and the masts re-painted

1984-85 New deck layed

1988 ”The association Friends of Najaden” formed

1989 Major repairs in Råå

1990 Return to Halmstad

1990-02 The interior is restored

Flag Signals

Signal flags in shipping is an international communication tool ships

to ship. Flag signaling was before the arrival of radio and one of the

few means by which admirals could control their fleet. Each flag has,

besides a letter, a short meaning.

Najaden became a civilian vessel at the handover 1946.

Najadens call sign 1) Navy 2) Civil

Call sign Call sign

S

B

Q

F

S = I’m going astern

B = I’m loading / unloading /

S

carrying dangerous Goods

Q B= The vessel is free from infection

F = I’m disabled, please contact me.

G Q= I need a pilot.

W = I need a doctor

F

L = At sea: Stop immediately.

Ein Vollschiff in Kompositbauweise

HMs Najaden (1897) ist 48,8 m lang, 8,4 m breit und 3,7 m tiefgehend.

Voll ausgerüstet wiegt das Schiff 350 Tonnen und hat 740 m²

Segelfläche (ohne Leitsegel). Die Besatzung bestand aus 20 Offizieren

und 100 Schiffsjungen.

Najaden ist ein Vollschiff, ausgerüstet mit mindestens drei Masten

und Rahsegel an allen Masten. Die Masten heißen Fockmast, Großmast

und Kreuz- oder Besanmast. Zusammen mit Cutty Sark ist Najaden

das einzige noch existierende Vollschiff mit Komposit-Schiffskörper

(Eisen- oder Stahlspanten unter hölzernen Schiffsplanken). Das

Schwesterschiff HMS Jarramas in Karlskrona hat Stahlschiffskörper

und wurde drei Jahre später gebaut (1900).

Najaden ist seit 1946 ein wunderschönes Symbol für Halmstad. Ein

Stückchen Kulturgeschichte, mit Erinnerungen an eine verschwundene

Zeit wo noch Schuten und große Segelschiffe auf der Nissan gefahren

sind. Najaden ist heutzutage bei den Seefahrtsbehörden als Museumschiff

registriert und wird vom Verein der Freunde der Najaden

behütet und gepflegt in Zusammenarbeit mit Gemeinde Halmstad.

Meilensteine

1897 Gebaut und Stapellauf in Karlskrona

1940 Hafensperre in Torekov

1946 Geschenk an die Stadt Halmstad

1956 Verlegt zum jetzigen Liegeplatz

1971-72 Neue Masten

1976-77 Tagelagearbeiten, Masten ummalen

1984-85 Decksbeplankung umgelegt

1988 Der Verein der Freunde der Najaden gebildet

1989 Größere Reparationen auf Råå

1990 Zurückkommst nach Halmstad

1990-02 Die Einrichtung wieder installiert

Signalwimpel

Signalwimpel sind bei der Seefahrt ein internationales Kommunikationswerkzeug

zwischen Schiffen. Die Anwendung von Signalwimpeln

war zum Beispiel vor der Einführung der Radioverbindung eines der

wenigen Werkzeuge die ein Admiral hatte um seine Flotte steuern zu

können. Jeder Wimpel hat seine eigene Bedeutung und ist außerdem

ein bestimmter Buchstabe. Najaden wurde bei der Übergabe 1946

zum zivilen Schiff umregistriert.

Najaden’s Anrufssignal als 1) Kriegsschiff 2) Handelsschiff

S = Meine Maschinen laufen volle Fahrt zurück

B = Ich laste/lösche/habe gefährliche Güter an Bord

Q = Das Schiff ist frei von Krankheiten

F = Das Schiff ist beschädigt,

Bitte nehmen Sie Kontakt mit mir auf

G = Ich brauche einen Lotsen

W = Ich brauche einen Arzt

L = Auf hoher See: Stoppen sie unmittelbar.


1897 saw the launching of

HMS Najaden

Najaden is the world’s smallest full-rigged composite built ship. She

was built in 1897 as a training ship for the boy sailor Corps and was

used for training the boy sailors in seamanship during the three summer

months of each year up until 1938.

One cold winter day on February 11, 1897 HMS Najaden was launched

at the naval dockyard in Karlskrona. The launching with icecovered

sea attracted much attention and hundreds of spectators

witnessed the spectacle as she elegantly floated out on the sea.

The lovely Najaden, built of pine on steel frames, along with Cutty

Sark are the only composite-built full-rigged ships that still remain.

And alongside sistership, Jarramas she is one of the smallest full-rigged

ship, ever built.

At sea Najaden worked as a training ship between the years 1897 -

1938 and every summer she sailed with 100 boy sailors. Voyages went

from her home port Karlskrona along the western and East Coast and

sometimes she took a detour to England, Scotland, Holland, Germany,

the Baltic States or any of the other Nordic countries.

With the coming of World War II. Najaden served her country as a

barracks ship for contingency workers before she was towed to the

Port of Torekov to serve as a port blockade against enemy ships.

Unfortunately Najaden was much the worse for wear and very badly

damaged after her time at Torekov.

The project Najaden to Halmstad.

On July 20, 1946 Najaden was donated to Halmstad, after renovation

in Karlskrona, by the merchant Bernhard Aronsson on the initiative

of Captain CO Johansson. It was felt that Halmstad thus would have a

memorable ship. Najaden received a grand reception from the residents

of Halmstad and was moored at the East bridges, east abutment.

With the advent of the Slotts bridge in 1956 she was transferred

to her present location at the Castle Quay.

Today Najaden is over 100 years old and has become a unique museum

where visitors can learn about Najaden and the boy sailor’s life

and history.

1897 lief HMS Najaden vom

Stapel

HMS Najaden ist das kleinste kompositgebaute Vollschiff in der Welt.

Sie wurde 1897 Ûbungsschiff für das Schiffsjungenkorps erbaut und

unter drei Monaten jeden Sommer bis 1938 zur Segelausbildung der

Schiffsjungen angewendet. An einem kalten Wintertag, dem 11.Februar

lief sie das erste Mal auf der Marinewerft in Karlskrona vom

Stapel. Der Stapellauf auf dem eisbedeckten Meer weckte große Aufmerksamkeit

und Hunderte von Schaulustigen wurden Zeugen des

Spektakels, als sie elegant zur See stach.

Die schöne Najaden, gebaut aus Kiefernholz auf Stahlspanten, ist neben

der Cutty Sark das einzige noch existierende Vollschiff mit Kompositbauweise.

An der Seite vom Schwesterschiff Jarramas ist sie eines

der kleinsten Vollschiffe, die jemals gebaut wurden. Auf dem Meer

arbeitete Najaden als Übungsschiff unter den Jahren 1897 bis 1938

und jeden Sommer segelten mit ihr Hunderte von Schiffsjungen. Die

Segeltouren startete im Heimatort Karlskrona und verlief entlang der

West- und Ostküste, und manchmal machte sie einen Abstecher nach

England, Schottland, Holland, Deutschland, den Baltischen Ländern

oder zu einem unserer nordischen Nachbarn. Dann kam der Zweite

Weltkrieg. Najaden leistete ihrem Land als Unterkunft für Bereitschaftsangestellte

dienst, bevor sie in den Hafen Torekov‘s überführt

wurde, um als Hafensperre für feindliche Schiffe zu dienen. Leider

wurde Najaden dabei sehr stark beschädigt.

Das Projekt Najaden nach Halmstad.

Am 20. Juli 1946 wurde Najaden, nach einer Renovierung in Karlskrona,

durch den Kaufmann Bernhard Aronsson nach einer Initiative des

Kapitäns C. O. Johansson, nach Halmstad verschenkt. Man war der

Meinung, dass Halmstad damit ein Gedenkschiff erhalten würde. Najaden

bekam einen großartigen Empfang durch die Einwohner Halmstads

und wurde auf der östlichen Landseite der Österbro (Brücke)

festgemacht. In Verbindung mit dem Bau der Schlossbrücke 1956

wurde Najaden auf ihren jetzigen Liegelatz am Schlosskai verlegt.

Heute ist HMS Najaden über 100 Jahre alt und ein einzigartiges Museum,

wo Besucher das Schiff und seine Geschichte sowie diese der

Schiffsjungen kennen lernen können.

Najadens launching 1897 Najaden’s Stapellauf 1897


Najadens ships bell

Die Schiffsglocke

Ship’s bells has been around in boats and ships since the 1600s. A

ship’s bell, a bell with a clapper that ruled life on board. The clapper

was struck by means of a so-called bell rope that is the handle that is

attached to the ship’s bell clapper.

The rope is about 1 - 1.5 times the bells diameter. By striking the bell

with the clapper the bell could warn other ships in fog. Or you could

”ring the hour glass” (bells) that indicated the time for ship’s crew to

the changing of the watch.

The day on board was divided into 6 4-hour intervals, time being

measured over a 30-minute hourglass, which was turned as soon as

the sand had run through. When the glass was turned the ship’s bell

was rung. The next time the hourglass was turned the bell was struck

twice, etc, around the clock.

Schiffsglocken hat es an Bord von Booten und Schiffen seit dem 16:en

Jahrhundert gegeben. Eine Schiffsglocke ist eine Glocke mit Klöppel

die das Leben an Bord steuerte. Der Glockenklöppel wurde mit einem

sogenannten Klöppelstropp manövriert, der im Klöppel der Schiffsglocke

befestigt ist. Der Stropp ist ca. 1 – 1,5 x das Diameter einer

Schiffsglocke. Mit einem Schlag des Klöppels konnte man im Nebel

andre Schiffe warnen.

Man schlug auch Glas, um die Zeit für die Wachablösung anzugeben.

Die Zeit an Bord wurde in 6 Interwalle eingeteilt, jedes mit 4 Stunden.

Die Zeit wurde mit einer 30 Minuten Sanduhr gemessen, die

man wendete sobald der Sand in die untere Hälfte geronnen war. Im

gleichen Moment schlug man ein Glas auf der Schiffsglocke. Bei der

nächsten Wendung schlug man zwei Glas und so weiter den ganzen

Tag herum.

Ring the hour glass / Glas schlagen

Numer of bell Bell Pattern Middle watch Morning watch Forenoon watch Afternoon watch First dog watch Last dog watch First watch

Anzahl Schläge Schlagordnung Hundswache Morgenwache Vormittagswache Nachmittagswache Erste Plattfußwache Zweite Plattfußwache Abendwache

One bell . 0:30 4:30 8:30 12:30 16:30 18:30 20:30

Ein Schlag

Two bells .. 1:00 5:00 9:00 13:00 17:00 19:00 21:00

Zwei Schläge

Three bells .. . 1:30 5:30 9:30 13:30 17:30 19:30 21:30

Drei Schläge

Four bells .. .. 2:00 6:00 10:00 14:00 18:00 22:00

Vier Schläge

Five bells .. .. . 2:30 6:30 10:30 14:30 18.30 22:30

Fünf Schläge

Sex bells .. .. .. 3:0 7:00 11:00 15:00 19.00 23:00

Sechs Schläge

Seven bells .. .. .. . 3:30 7:30 11:30 15:30 19.30 23:30

Sieben Schläge

Eight bells .. .. .. .. 4:00 8:00 12:00 16:00 20:00 0:00

Acht Schläge


Najadens kapstan

Najadens Gangspill

Najadens deck with anchor chain and capstan.

Najaden has, as all large ships have, an attractive capstan, which was

the seaman’s name for today’s windlass.

It was a hand-powered winch in the form of a standing drum which

was driven around by using the bars that was wedged into the drums

top. It took several people to man the capstan which was used to cast

or weigh the anchor.

Najadens capstan has sockets for twelve bars. It took a tremendous

force to drive around the capstan and the Najadens 48 of the boy sailors

put all their weight against the bars and with joint effort to the

capstan hauled up the anchor.

The anchor chain is a heavy chain that was attached at the anchor

and lay over deck from the bows hawse pipe, a steel lined hole in the

bow of the ship, to the capstans wild cat. The anchor chain was lead

then to the chain pipe down through the deck and gathered together

in large chain lockers placed in the bowels of the vessels. The

chains could be up to 270 meters long.

It was no easy task to get Najaden into or out from quay without an

engine. To do so she was warped. An anchor;

where the end of a rope (hawser) was fixed on board, rowed out in

a boat (Launch*) and released to the bottom at a distance from the

ship. The rope is then hauled in by means of the capstan on the ship,

thus warping in or out of the harbour.

*A launch is a strongly built boat for transporting people and supplies.

Najaden’s Deck mit Ankerkette und Gangspill.

Najaden hat wie alle große Schiffe ein schönes Gangspill oder Capstan,

was die Seemännische Bezeichnung für das heutige Ankerspiel

war. Es war eine Hand-operierbare Winsch, bestehend aus einer

Trommel, die mit Hilfe von in der Trommel fest gekeilten Spillhaken

rund getrieben wurde. Es wurden viele Seeleute gebraucht um das

Gangspill zu drehen und den Anker fallen zu lassen oder zu hieven.

Auf Najaden‘s Gangspill gibt es zwölf Nutschen für zwölf Spillhaken.

Man brauchte viel Kraft um das Gangspill zu betreiben und auf Najaden

setzten 48 Schiffsjungen ihre ganze Kraft gegen die Spillhaken

um mit gemeinsamen Kräften das Spill in Rotation zu bringen und

die Ankerkette zu hieven. Eine Ankerkette ist eine grobe Kette die im

Anker befestigt ist und über das ganze Deck läuft, den ganzen Weg

von der Ankerklüse, ein stahlgefuttertes Loch im Bug, zum Gangspill

und dann festgesetzt ist im sogenannten Kettenkasten. Die Ankerketten

werden unter das Deck geleitet und in großen Kettenkästen

gesammelt, in Kästen die in Hohlräumen im Schiffskörper verteilt

sind. Die Ankerketten konnten bis zu 270 Meter lang sein.

Es war nicht leicht, Najaden ohne Maschine am Kai anzulegen oder

von der Kaikante auszulegen. Man anwendete sogenanntes warpen.

Ein Anker, mit an Bord fest gemachter Trosse, wurde mit einer Barkasse*

ausgerudert und in gewisser Entfernung vom Schiff auf den

Meeresboden gesenkt. Danach zog man die Trosse mittels Gangspill

zum Schiff ein und warpte sich so zum oder vom Kai.

*Eine Barkasse ist ein kräftig gebautes Boot zum Transport vom Menschen

und Proviant.


Najadens Boy sailors

The boy sailor Corps was founded in 1685 in Karlskrona to take

care of the many orphaned boys who, as a result of Sweden’s warfare

in Europe, and to build up the Navy with able-bodied seamen

and NCOs. Their primary task was to recruit and train young boys

for service on board ships.

In 1692 the clergy in Karlskrona decided that the boy sailors would

have to learn to read and write, which at the time was unusual.

The training would lead to the boys becoming good able-bodied

sailors to be included in the fleet’s contracted sailors. The system

has demonstrated good results with the boys becoming proficient

in seamanship and the possibility to learn navigation to eventually

be able to train as an officer. The boy sailor Corps felt that they

brought up their wards for good and God-fearing citizens. Strict

discipline and corporal punishment was common, even bullying occurred

which led to many boys running away from the Corps.

Unemployment and poverty led many boys to search service in the

Corps. Orphaned boys could be forced into service.

Although the corps was known for it’s harsh discipline and it was a

philanthropic endeavor, whose main task was to take care of poor

children, many officers enlisted their sons because of the high standard

of education.

The boys were young, minimum admission age was 8 years, however,

in one case 6 months. In 1848 the age limit was increased

for admission to 13 years and in 1899 the minimum admission

age raised to 15 years. The first year the boys were called rabbits

and third year boy’s old guys. When a boy sailor turned 18 he was

declared coming of age, which meant that he left the boy sailor

Corps to become a sailor of the fleet and contracted to 6 years service.

To become a boy sailor they had to sign a contract of 9 years.

The only way to dissolve the contract was through illness, dependents

at home, or inadequacy.

Summers were spent by the boys’ aboard the various training ships

at sea. In winter most of the time was devoted to study, gymnastics

and armament training. The boy’s were housed in barracks on land

or barrack ship.The boy sailor Corps began disbandment in 1937 to

cease as an institution in 1939.

3rd. boy sailor no. 39

Erik was born in 1903 and was

orphaned at the age of 6. His older

brothers and sisters were sold into

service by auction and Erik, at the

age of 12 was taken in as a boy

sailor. At the age of 19 he came to

HMS Najaden, after HMS Fylgias

goodwill visit to India 1921–22.

Die Schiffsjungen der Najaden

Das Schiffsjungenkorps wurde 1685 i Karlskrona gebildet, teilweise

um die vielen elternlose Jungen aufzufangen, die ein Resultat der

Schwedischen Kriegsoperationen in Europa waren, teils zur Versorgung

der Marine mit arbeitstauglichen Seeleuten und Unteroffizieren.

Die vornehmste Aufgabe war das Rekrutieren und Ausbilden

von jungen Burschen für den Dienst auf den Schiffen der Marine.

1692 bestimmten die Prälaten von Karlskrona das die Schiffsjungen

auch Lesen und Schreiben lernen sollten, was zu dieser Zeit sehr

ungewöhnlich war. Die Ausbildung sollte dazu leiten dass die Jungen

gute Seeleute wurden und in die Mannschaft der Flotte als Kontraktangestellte

Seeleute eingegliedert werden konnten. Diejenige die

gute Resultate aufweisen konnte und tüchtig waren in Seemannsschaft

konnte auch Navigation erlernen um sich in der Zukunft zum

Offizier auszubilden.

Das Schiffsjungenkorps glaubte das die Lehrlinge zu Guten und Gottgläubigen

Mittbürgern erzogen wurden. Harte Disziplin und Prügel

war gewöhnlich, auch Pennalismus kam vor, was viele Jungen zum

Davonlaufen brachte.

Arbeitslosigkeit und Armut trieb viele Jungen zur Ansuche in das

Schiffsjungenkorps. Elternlose Jungen konnte mit Zwang rekrutiert

werden. Trotzdem dass das Korps für seine strenge Disziplin bekannt

war und die Wirksamkeit philanthropisch, mit der Aufgabe vorwiegend

arme Kinder anzunehmen, meldeten viele Offiziere ihre Söhne

zur Ausbildung an da diese als sehr gut angesehen war. Die Jungen

waren sehr jung, das niedrigste Eintrittsalter war 8 Jahre, doch

gab es einem Fall von nur 6 Monaten. 1848 wurde das Eintrittsalter

auf 13 Jahren erhöht und 1899 bestimmtes das niedrigste Eintrittsalter

auf 15 Jahre. Im ersten Jahr nannte man die Schiffsjungen „Kaninchen“

und im dritten Jahr „Alte Knirpse“. Im Alter von 18 Jahren

wurde ein Schiffsjunge als Erwachsener eingeschrieben und verließ

das Schiffsjungenkorps um Matrose bei der Marine zu werden, Kontraktverbunden

für 6 Jahre. Um Schiffsjunge zu werden musste man

nämlich einen Kontrakt unterschreiben für 9 Jahre Dienst. Die einzigen

Möglichkeiten den Kontrakt zu löschen waren Krankheit, Versorgungspflicht

im Elternhaus oder Untauglichkeit.

Den Sommer verbrachten die Schiffsjungen auf See an Bord von

verschiedenen Schiffen. Im Winter verwendete man die meiste Zeit

mit Studium, zum Turnen und Waffen hantieren. Die Schiffsjungen

waren dann an Land in Kasernen oder auf Logierschiffen verlegt. Die

Abwickelung des Schiffsjungenkorps begann 1937 und es hörte 1938

als Einrichtung ganz auf.

Dritter Schiffsjunge Nr. 39

Erik wurde 1903 geboren und mit sechs Jahren Elternlos. Seine älteren

Geschwister wurden auf einer Versteigerung verkauft und selbst

blieb er im Alter von zwölf Jahren Schiffsjunge. Als 19-jähriger kam

er auf Najaden nach einer langen Reise 1921-1922 mit HMS Fylgia

nach Indien.

Curiosities

Ship’s boys’ trousers were narrow and outdated and the boys

stretched them during the night at the bottom (bell bottom) with

wooden wedges to get the right shape.

The boys’ were issued a SEA BAG in which all their belongings

would be placed, carelessness was punished hard. A boy, who had

dropped his handkerchief, received a four-day furlough ban.

Kuriosität

Die Hosenbeine der Schiffsjungen waren schmal und unmodern und dafür

wurden sie, um das richtige Aussehen zu erhalten, nachts mit Holzkeilen

im niederen Bereich ausgeweitet. Jeder Schiffsjunge bekam seinen eigenen

Seesack um darin seine Eigentümer zu verwahren. Nachlässigkeit wurde hart

bestraft. Ein Junge der zum Beispiel sein Taschentuch verlor wurde mit vier

Tagen Ausgangsverbot bestraft.


Najadens renovation continues

Najaden was and is a floating tourist attraction of rank. Heating

elements were installed in the 50’s and Najaden was used as a café.

This ended in the early 1960’s, and Najaden boasted up to 70’s as a

foremost landmark for tourists. 1971-72 she was taken back into the

shipyard for a major overhaul, including renewal of all three masts

and 1976-77, it was time for re-rigging.

The first Najaden party was organized in 1973 by the Tourist Association

in Halmstad and the Naval Association. The public was invited

and former boy sailors who acted as guides, showing Najadens facilities

and equipment. The entertainment consisted of watching movies

and dancing on board. The event was highly appreciated and the Ladies

Club Bojen hosted a resumtion of café serving on board. Najaden

festivals remained an annual feature in Halmstad during the summers

of 1973–1980.

Najaden had over the years become badly damaged due to lack of

maintenance and breaking her up again became a topic. In 1987 the

municipal council decided that a new deck would be laid, which was

done, costing the municipality around 8 million kronor. That same

year the ”Association of the Friends of Najaden” was formed. They

see as their primary mission to preserve, take care and restore this

unique vessel to its original condition so that the public has access to

this historic symbol of Halmstad. But also to tell the story of the boy

sailors history and life on board.

During the years 1989-1990 Najaden was in Råå shipyard and underwent

extensive repairs, on the lower hull, masts, rigging and some

yards (a horizontal bar on a mast to carry and hold out a sail) were

renewed. Then began the ”association of the Friends of Najaden”

their work, the industrious carpenters went immediately on to the

raising of the interior bulkheads at the same time Najaden was rigged,

with the masts and yards in place. It was very hard and extensive

work, because the whole interior had been ripped out before the

renovation in Råå.

Feverishly working and cleaning - all with the aim of the planned

return to Slotts Quay 1990.

When Najaden returned to Halmstad, July 29, 1990, she was received

with pomp and ceremony the quay was full of people and a large

number of small boats followed her to her mooring place in the

Nissan, outside the castle, the hull being still empty inside.

”The association of the Friends of Najaden” is a totally volunteer

association who help in the restoring of Najaden. During the period

1990-1996, they have spent approximately 25,000 working hours of

work in restoring the interior. The aim has been to maintain as much

as possible of Najadens original equipment.

In 1994 the association’s hard work was awarded, by the Preservation

Society of Halland, a “Diploma for best building conservation effort.”

This effort has brought to Halmstad municipality a large public

invasion, a popular photo motif and has led to much international

interest.

Najaden wird laufend renoviert

HMS Najaden war und ist eine schwimmende Touristenattraktion

ersten Ranges. Eine elektrische Heizung wurde in den 50er Jahren

installiert und Najaden wurde u. a. als Konditorei und Café angewendet.

Dieses endete zeitig in den 60er Jahren und Najaden präsentierte

sich bis in die frühen 70er Jahre meistens als Sehenswürdigkeit

für die Touristen. 1971 bis 1972 wurde sie auf der Werft einer

gründlichen Überholung unterzogen, unter anderem wurden alle

drei Masten ausgetauscht und im Jahre 1976 und 1977 war es Zeit für

Austausch der Takelage.

Das erste Najaden-Fest wurde im Jahre 1973 vom Touristenverkehrsverein

in Halmstad und der Marine Kameradschaftsvereinigung

organisiert. Die Öffentlichkeit war eingeladen und ehemalige Schiffsjungen

stellten als Fremdenführer auf und wiesen die Einrichtung

und die Ausrüstung der Najaden auf. Für Unterhaltung sorgten

Filmvorführungen und Tanz an Bord. Die Veranstaltungen wurde sehr

geschätzt und mit dem Damenclub Bojen als Hostessen wurde wieder

an Bord serviert. Das Najaden-Fest blieb ein jährlicher Höhepunkt in

Halmstads Sommer zwischen 1973 und 1980.

HMS Najaden war im Laufe der Jahre durch mangelnde Wartung

stark beschädigt und verschrotten war wieder aktuell. 1987 wurde

beschlossen, dass die Kommune ein neues Schiffsdeck verlegen sollte.

Dies wurde getan, es kostete der Kommune ca. 8.000.000 SKR. Im

selben Jahr gründete man den Verein für Najaden’s Freunde, welcher

die Bewahrung, Pflege und Wiederherstellung dieses Schiffes in den

ursprünglichen Zustand zu seiner Aufgabe gemacht hat. Weiterhin

sollte die Öffentlichkeit Zugang zu der Sehenswürdigkeit und dem

Symbol von Halmstad haben. Nicht zuletzt sollte auch die Geschichte

und das Leben der Schiffsjungen lebendig gehalten werden.

Zwischen 1989 bis 1990 lag Najaden auf der Werft in Råå und wurde

einer umfangreichen Reparatur im unteren Teil unterzogen, Masten

und Takelage wurden erneuert. Danach fing der Verein für Najaden’s

Freunde mit seiner Arbeit an und fleißige Zimmermänner begannen

gleich mit dem Bau von Schotten auf dem Zwischendeck, zur gleichen

Zeit wurde Najade getakelt nachdem Masten und Rahen auf ihren

Plätzen waren. Es war eine sehr schwere und umfangreiche Arbeit,

weil das gesamte Interieur herausgerissen wurde ehe die Renovierung

in Råå begann. Es wurde gearbeitet und gearbeitet – alles

mit dem Ziel der geplanten Heimreise zum Schlosskai 1990.

Als HMS Najaden am 29. Juli 1990 nach Halmstad kam, wurde sie mit

Pauken und Trompeten in Empfang genommen. Der Kai war voll mit

Menschenmassen und eine große Anzahl kleiner Boote begleiteten

sie zu ihrem Platz auf der Nissan vor dem Schloss – der Rumpf war da

innen immer noch leer.

Der Verein für Najaden‘s Freunde hat uneigennützig geholfen, das

Schiff wieder herzustellen. In den Jahren 1990 bis 1996 investierten

sie mehr als 25.000 Arbeitsstunden, um die Einrichtung des Schiffes

wieder herzustellen. Die Ambition war von der Innenausstattung so

viel wie möglich im Originalzustand beizubehalten.

1994 wurde die uneigennützige Arbeit des Vereins von Hallands

Museumsverband mit einem Diplom für die beste Bauerhaltungsinitiative

ausgezeichnet. Dieser Einsatz bewirkte einen großen Besucheransturm,

ein populäres Fotomotiv und ein internationales Interesse

für die Kommune Halmstad.


The boy sailors training ships

In the late 1700s, Sweden was at war with Russia. At that time the

boy sailor Corps did not have their own ship and boy sailors were

placed on board and trained on ships of war, vessels that were in the

midst of raging war. It was with their lives at stake, with bad food

and water that the boys began their marine careers. It was a long

time before the boy sailor corps’ had their own ship where the boys

could be trained. First in 1799 was the a training ship built, the brig

Diana. HMS Najaden was incorporated as a training vessel for the

boys along with HMS Diana (1799), HMS Gladan (1857), HMS Snappopp

(1859), HMS Skirner (1867), HMS Falcon (1877), HMS af Chapman

(1888) and Najadens sister ship HMS Jarramas (1900).

Today there are only three of the boy sailors ships left. Najaden our

own museum ship, Jarramas which is a museum ship in Karlskrona

and af Chapman, which is located in Stockholm and used as a youth

hostel.

Die Übungsschiffe der Schiffsjungen

Am Ende des 17:e Jahrhundert lag Schweden im Kriege mit Russland.

Zu dieser Zeit hatte das Schiffsjungenkorps keine eigenen Schiffe,

sonder die Schiffsjungen dienten an Bord von Kriegsschiffen, die

am brennenden Krieg beteiligt waren. Die Schiffsjungen begannen

ihre seemännische Laufbahn mit dem Leben als Einsatz, mit knapper

Verpflegung und wenig Trinkwasser. Lange hatte man keine eigenen

Übungsschiffe zur Ausbildung der Schiffsjungen. Erst 1799 wurde das

erste Schulschiff gebaut, die Brigg Diana. HMS Najaden war Übungsschiff

zusammen mit HMS Diana (1799), HMS Gladan (1857), HMS

Snappopp (1859), HMS Skirner (1867), HMS Falken (1877), HMS af

Chapman (1888) und Najadens Schwesterschiff HMS Jarramas (1900).

Heute existieren bloß noch drei der Übungsschiffe: Najaden, unser

eigenes Museumsschiff, Jarramas, Museumsschiff in Karlskrona, und

af Chapman, liegend als Wanderheim i Stockholm.

HMS Gladan

A cargo brig built entirely of wood. She was built in 1857 in Karlskrona

Naval shipyards. 1872-1873, she participated in polar expeditions

and was converted into a training ship for the boys sailor Corps in

1881 The last voyage was in 1924.

HMS Snappopp

A brig, which was launched at Karlskrona shipyard in 1859 and entered

service 1860.

HMS Skirner

A brig, which was completed at the Karlskrona shipyard in 1867 and

entered service the same year.

HMS Falcon

A sail-training ship, built in 1878 in Karlskrona naval shipyards. Falken

was used during her active time in the Navy as a training ship.

Her last trip by boy sailors was in 1932 She was towed to Stockholm

in 1937 and was sold to a private person in 1943 when she decommisioned.

HMS Af Chapman

A full-rigged ship of steel that was built in 1888 in Britain. During

the first 25 years, she carried cargo under the English and Norwegian

flag and rounded both Cape Horn and the Cape of Good Hope.

1915 she moved to Gothenburg to become a training ship. Swedish

Navy became the new owner in 1923. The ship was renamed HMS

af Chapman and trained boy sailors until 1934, which became her

last sailing year. That same year she sailed across the Atlantic to the

United States.

HMS Jarramas

One of the world’s smallest three-mast frigate tackled full-rigged

ship and is built of steel at the Karlskrona naval shipyards. She was

launched on February 1, 1900 and sailed until 1946. Her last trip with

the boy sailors was in 1938. In 1950 Jarramas was owned by Karlskrona

Municipality and was moored at Borgmästarekajen. Today she

is owned by Sjöhistoriskamuséet in Karlskrona.

HMS Gladan

Ein Lastschiff, 1857 ganz in Holz auf der Marinewerft in Karlskrona

als Brigg gebaut. 1872-1873 nahm sie an Polarexpeditionen teil und

wurde 1881 zum Übungsschiff für die Schiffsjungen umgebaut. Die

letzte Reise machte man 1924.

HMS Snappopp

Eine Brigg die 1859 in Karlskrona vom Stapel lief und 1860 in Dienst

genommen wurde.

HMS Skirner

Eine Brigg gebaut 1867 in Karlkrona und im selben Jahr in Dienst

getreten.

HMS Falken

Ein Segel- und Übungsschiff, erbaut 1878 auf der Marinewerft Karlskrona.

Falken war unter seiner ganzen aktiven Dienstzeit Übungsschiff

der Marine. Die letzte Reise mit Schiffsjungen machte man

1932. Sie wurde 1937 nach Stockholm bugsiert und nach dem Ausmustern

aus der Flotte 1943 an eine Privatperson verkauft.

HMS af Chapman

Ein Vollschiff in Stahl, gebaut 1888 in Großbritannien. Unter den

ersten 25 Jahren fuhr sie als Handelsschiff unter englischer und norwegischer

Flagge und rundete sowohl Kap Horn und Kap der Guten

Hoffnung. 1915 wurde sie nach Göteborg überführt um Schulschiff

zu werde. 1923 wurde die schwedische Marine neuer Eigentümer.

Das Schiff bekam den Namen HMS af Chapman und diente der Schiffsjungenausbildung

bis 1934, das letzte Dienstjahr. Im selben Jahr

segelte sie über den Atlantischen Ozean in die USA.

MHS Jarramas

Einer der kleinsten Vollschiffe der Welt mit drei Masten und Fregattentakelung,

gebaut in Stahl auf der Marinewerft Karlskrona. Sie lief

am 1:e Februar 1900 vom Stapel und war bis 1946 im Dienst. Ihre Die

letzte Reise mit Schiffsjungen fand 1938 statt. Von 1950 gehörte sie

der Gemeinde von Karlskrona och lag am Bürgermeisterkai vertäut.

Der heutige Eigentümer ist das Seehistorische Museum in Karlskrona.

Weitere Magazine dieses Users
Ähnliche Magazine