Makes: 6 servings
Cook TiMe: TurboChef: 2 hours | Conventional: 3 hours
Tools: 3x9x13-inch covered ovenproof dish (ceramic or glass), large saute pan, sauce pan
Braised short riBs with VeGetaBles
6 1-pound short ribs
Fine sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons butter
½ medium onion, quartered
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
1 medium canned or fresh tomato,
¹/³ cup peeled, cubed celery root
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 sprig rosemary
2 sprigs thyme
1 sprig sage
1 bay leaf
3 cups Japanese plum wine
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
12 cremini mushrooms,
peeled and stemmed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Freshly ground white pepper
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 star anise
¹/³ cup red wine
2 teaspoons arrowroot
12 baby carrots, sliced on the diagonal
1 11-ounce rutabaga,
peeled and cut in wedges
1 turnip, peeled and cut in wedges
½ cup thinly sliced scallions,
white and pale green only
1. Select “Bake” on the CookWheel. Select “Cookbooks” followed by
“Cooking with Guenter Seeger,” “Entrées,” “Beef,” and “Braised Short
Ribs with Vegetables.” Press “Start” to preheat the oven.
2. Sprinkle the ribs with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour.
3. In a large sauté pan, melt the butter and sear the outside of the ribs.
Remove ribs from pan and place in the ovenproof dish. In the drippings,
sauté the onion and carrots until caramelized. Add the tomato,
celery root, and garlic.
4. Pour the vegetables over the ribs and place the herbs on top.
5. Deglaze the sauté pan with the plum wine and add the spices. Pour
over short ribs.
6. Place in oven, covered, and press “Start.” Cook for 2 hours. Do not
cancel setting once ribs finish cooking.
7. In a pot of boiling water, blanch the vegetables starting with the
densest, like the carrot and rutabaga, to the least dense mushrooms.
Once vegetables soften, place in ice water and drain.
8. Remove short ribs to a platter. Strain sauce into a saucepan, pressing
the vegetables with the back of a spoon to release additional flavors.
9. To reheat, select “Cook Another” and press “Start” to begin preheat.
Place ribs, covered, in the oven and press “Start.” Allow ribs to reheat
8 to 10 minutes.
10. While the ribs reheat, place the strained sauce over a medium heat.
Whisk together the red wine and arrowroot. Whisk into the sauce. Simmer
and whisk until sauce is thickened. Pour over the short ribs.
11. At the same time, sauté the vegetables on the stove top with 1 tablespoon
of water. Once water is almost evaporated, add the butter and
season with salt and white pepper.
12. To serve, spoon sauce over ribs and garnish with the vegetables.
Wine pairing: Cabernet Sauvignon