Survey of services John Perrott - APPGITA

Survey of services John Perrott - APPGITA

Staffordshire PCT NO

and North Staffordshire PCT NO and the letter from the Clinical secretary points out that despite the need

and also their obvious understanding of the problem, there are no services.

Apologies for the delay in responding to your email, however the email account that your

correspondence had been forwarded to had been temporarily suspended during a IT transfer.

I have liaised with the Head of Medicines Management over your query and he has advised

that there is no specialised service to assist with the withdrawal of the prescribed

medications. Discussing the withdrawal with the patients GP is the first step. All Gp's have

guidance on the withdrawal of these types of medication and can assist in the process.

If the issue is that this has already been discussed with the GP and the advice provided has

not been helpful, then if the GP's contact details are provided we can discuss that with the GP

practice directly, or our office can assist with locating a new GP for the patient to register with.

I hope this has helped, however if you would like clarification or further assistance, please do

not hesitate to contact our office.

Kind regards

Michelle Kiernan

Complaints & Enquiries Officer

Complaints & Enquiries Office

NHS Staffordshire Commissioning Support Services

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in my response, but I hope I now have the

answers to your questions; please see the attached and the copy response below.

Kind Regards,

Cath Barratt

Cath Barratt

Admin Assistant

NHS Staffordshire Commissioning Support Services

St George's Chambers

31 Merrial Street




Tel: 0845 602 6772 Extn: 1529

Fax: 01782 298228

Dear Cath,

In answer to Mr Perrott’s query below,

He is correct in that the Drugs and Alcohol Teams routinely do not treat involuntary

tranquilliser addiction, only illicit addiction.

The PCT/CCG does not provide a specific service for these patients and it would be

something they would need to discuss with their prescribing doctor who should have

sufficient expertise to offer a safe withdrawal programme within their own practice.

There are unfortunately many patients in this predicament in the Stoke-on-Trent area,

Stoke-on-Trent is the one of the highest prescribers of these type of drugs in the West


Benzodiazepine hypnotics should be used only if insomnia is severe, disabling or

causing the patient extreme distress. The lowest dose that controls symptoms should

be used, for a maximum of four weeks and intermittently, if possible. Due to the lack

Similar magazines