Woolston / Heathcote Cemetery Tour - Christchurch City Libraries


Woolston / Heathcote Cemetery Tour - Christchurch City Libraries

Born in Lyttelton in 1860, the son of Hugh and Elizabeth, John Henry Murray-

Aynsley was, educated at Mr. Turrell’s private school, Christ’s College and St.

George’s Hospital, London. A general practitioner and staff member at the public

hospital, Christchurch, he was a general practitioner in Eketahuna and, eventually,

settled in Wigtown and Montrose, Scotland. He was also a surgeon, gaining the

qualifications of M.R.C.S. and L.R.C.P. In Montrose, Murray-Aynsley married a

daughter of Dr. Key. There were no children.

Towards the end of 1916 J. H. Murray-Aynsley fell ill and returned to Christchurch

where his aged father was dying. Hugh, 88, died on 22 February 1917. Thereafter

John lived at the family home in Holly Road, St. Albans. He dwelt in retirement and

was ‘practically an invalid’. He died on 21 September 1917.

As well as Hugh, Elizabeth and John, the gravestone recalls another son, Archibald

Cryer, 39, who died on 20 August 1903.

Row K

No. 213


Arthur Morton, eighth son of Elizabeth and John Ollivier, was born on 23 March

1851, emigrated with his parents and attended Christ’s College from 1862-65. A

popular student, he became, in adulthood, Fellow of Christ’s College and, at his death,

was President of the Old Boys’ Association.

A businessman, Ollivier worked for several firms, eventually being in partnership

with Trevor Grierson as an accountant and auditor.

Ollivier was an angler, mountaineer and gardener. In the latter field he enjoyed

frequent success at Christchurch Horticultural Society shows. He played chess, being,

in 1888, colonial champion. In rugby he played against Auckland and Otago.

A Canterbury representative cricketer, Ollivier first played against Otago at Hagley

Park when but 16. He was chosen for his fielding ability but ‘signalled his first

appearance by making the only double figure - 11 - on the Canterbury side’. His

batting did much to secure for Canterbury seven wins in a row. He was in the first

Canterbury-Auckland match, played against the visiting English and was the most

successful Canterbury batsman in a tour of Victoria in 1878. T. W. Reese wrote that

Ollivier ‘was an admirable defensive bat and had many scores to his credit’.

An injury prevented Ollivier from playing sport after 1883 but, for a number of years,

he was the sole selector of Canterbury cricket teams. In 1893 he was appointed to

select the New Zealand team which played against New South Wales.

In Ollivier’s youth, sporting teams met on public reserves. People came to watch and

officials had to walk round begging the spectators to give money to cover the cost of

the games. Arthur Ollivier pushed for the establishment of a ground which was to be

owned by the sporting codes and where spectators must pay to get in. On 8 May 1880,

Woolston / Heathcote Cemetery



More magazines by this user
Similar magazines