Woolston / Heathcote Cemetery Tour - Christchurch City Libraries


Woolston / Heathcote Cemetery Tour - Christchurch City Libraries

With the exception of one night, Mr. Bunz led the orchestra whenever there

was any performance at the theatre. In his adherence to duty - he never

allowed anything to interfere with his work at the theatre - Mr. Bunz provided

a strong incentive to the other members of the orchestra to put duty first ….

Mr. Bunz probably influenced more young musicians for good, both in respect

of music and of personal conduct than any other teacher in the Dominion.

In the 1880s Bunz had a holiday home in South Brighton or ‘Eastbourne South’, then

a remote district. He laid out attractive gardens as he ‘anticipated the connection of

New Brighton and Sumner’ via a bridge across the Estuary. The scheme did not

eventuate and Bunz became one of the many New Brighton Borough Council

ratepayers who, over the years, petitioned the local authority about heavy rate

demands and the little he received in the way of services.

Here are buried Emmeline Bunz, 1853-1906; her husband, Charles Ferdinand Bunz,

1844-1923; their son, Leonard Merton Bunz, 21 December 1880-23 December 1927,

and his wife, Mary Ellen Bunz, 12 December 1879-7 March 1951.

One Bunz son, Alfred, an ‘able and well-known pianist’, was to carry on his father’s

good work in Christchurch.

Row H

No. 397

George Victor Monck, drowned at Sumner on 22 March 1882, aged 7.

The child’s gravestone has the plaintive words:

Without a moment’s warning,

while busy at his play,

this bright and loving fair-haired boy

was quickly snatched away.

George, second son of Emma and John Stanley Monck of Monck’s Bay, Sumner, was

‘a great favourite with all the … people’. Late in the afternoon of 12 March 1887, ‘the

little fellow’ was playing with a friend on the banks of the Estuary, tried to get into

the boat which was moored at the small jetty close to his parents’ home, lost his hold

and fell into the water which was near high tide. The companion called for help and

watched as George rose to the surface three times before disappearing altogether.

Shortly after midnight on the day of the accident, a fisherman, John Durant,

recovered the body. At the inquest, at the parents’ house, on 23 March the jury

returned a verdict: ‘Accidentally drowned’.

Woolston / Heathcote Cemetery



More magazines by this user
Similar magazines