Developing Information Center
Model for Farmer Community
In corporation with Indonesian Infocom Society (MASTEL)
Taufik Zamzami (firstname.lastname@example.org)
System Development, TELKOM R&D Center
PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia, Tbk
• Services Demand
• Network Model
• Potential Enhancement
• Key Success Factors
• Provide information to people in the rural
• Develop system model that is suitable for
• Increase the speed of culture
transformation from traditional behavior
into more adaptive to IT.
Information Collaboration Education
General Network Model
• Content management and SMS-push application will be
installed to the server. These applications can be
developed by third party or purchased separately at a
lower price; some are free to install.
• The setup and maintenance cost for this application
center include :
– One time payment :
• server machine
• operating system software
• database system software
• content management software
• SMS-push software
• SMS-terminal for sending/broadcast SMS
– Monthly payment :
• SMS subscription.
• Can be provided by TELCOs that offer any
kind of access: internet, fixed phone, fixed
wireless (CDMA) and mobile
• Offers many type of services like : instant
internet, turbo internet, GPRS/EDGE,
• Already established and stable.
• Monthly usage cost for this public network
include : internet and SMS subscription.
• Setup and installed by community and local government.
• Each CTC (provided by BIM) must have access to internet (via fixed
phone/fixed wireless or GPRS/EDGE) and accessed from one main
• If CTC have several PC to access the internet, these can be done
through internet connection sharing from main PC. So the
connection access to the internet remain only one line.
• This PC act as sharing terminal to access the content from internet.
• If the location in the coverage of GSM/CDMA, the information can
be retrieved from SMS terminal.
• This facilities cost will include: PC with browser, internal/external
modem or mobile terminal with built-in modem, telephone line/fixed
wireless/GSM subscription and ISP.
• Using LAN and WLAN to increase the total terminal at
each CTC, and decrease internet subscription payment.
Key success factors
• Network Infrastructure.
• Involvement intensity of farmer community
in using the CTC.
• Active participation of observer and
sponsor of rural community