Mills For centuries the squires of the manors Soenderskov and Estrup had their grain milled at their own mills. According to first Danish land register of 1662, Hulkjaer Mill belonged to Estrup Manor. Likewise Holsted Mill, which Thomas Juel bought from Joergen Krag of Endrupholm Manor in 1611. At the same time Soenderskov Manor used Frisbaek Mill, which later had its name changed to Soenderskov Mill. The copyhold of the mill was given to a man by the name of Hans Nielsen, who was also a blacksmith and who lived south of the mill at a place called the Sheephouse. The squire had the right to decide the mill his tenant farmers had to use for milling their grains. In 1700 the squire af Soenderskov Manor, Joergen Skeel Due, proclaimed “that none of his tenant farmers were allowed to use any other mill than Soenderskov Mill, otherwise they might be punished according to the law”. The earliest written record of Frisbaek Mill is from 1662, but presumably its history goes back much further. During the restoration 1986-91 the displayed fragment of a millstone was found in the basement of the centre building. The millstone was reused as a step in a staircase and may well originate from the very first mill. The baking oven of the old Soenderskov, where the flour from the manor’s mill was baked into bread, was found and made accessible during the restoration.
The Mill as an independent establishment Soenderskov Mill belonged to the manor Soenderskov until 1804, when Christian Saxesen sold the mill to Peder Kaargaard Jørgensen. His family owned the mill for seven generations until 2001. In miller Ebbe Ebbesens days (1880-1910) the milling was supplemented by dairying in the farmhouse basement. The photograph shows the staff of the mill around 1892. Soenderskov Mill, photography from 2005. Baking Oven The old baking ovenfrom Thomas Juel’s time may be seen in Sonderskov’s basement.