TheexhibitionManorLifeTheexhibition of “Manor life”, in the process of being set up, presents a number of selected subjects related to the life at the two local manors of “Soenderskov” and “Estrup”. Theexhibition covers the period from approx. 1500 to approx. 1925. The collection comprises objects, documents and pictures often gathered by the descendants of the manor inhabitants. Also the exhibition comprises archaeological items and building parts, most which were found during the restoration of “Soenderskov” 1986-91. A large collection of documents related to either manors are presented. They are either gathered passively or as results of research. Selected items exhibited are supplemented by reconstructed dresses and models. Theexhibition is being mounted in this room as well as in the five rooms of this building facing south. The exhibits are not selected in accordance with chronological criteria’s, and the rooms may by and large be viewed independently. However, it is recommended that you begin in this room and continue in the five rooms on this level facing south. Each main subject is presented by a text panel headed by “the exhibition logo” in the top left corner. The logo is the photograph of the coach pulled by two horses and of the coachman “Switzer”, who was employed at “Soenderskov” in the early 20 th century. Each main subject may have one or more supplementary text panels, but these have smaller letters and are without “the exhibition logo”.
The geography of the manors This map of Skads (yellow), Gjoerding (red) and Malt (blue) districts show the locations of Soenderskov and Estrup Manors in the south west of Jutland. Both Manors had most of their tenant farms located in the district of Malt, but in the 17 th century Estrup had some tenant farms located as far away as the Skads district. The nearest market town was Ribe. South west of the Manors please note “Foldingbro”, which was the locality where the import exports of bullocks took place. The map is drawn 1762-67 for the squire Thoeger R. Teilmann of the manor “Endrupholm”. The map is reproduced from the original on loan from The Royal Library. The Danish Atlas Estrup Manor did not compare to the larger jutlandish estates but nor did it belong to the smallest of the 18 th century. According to “The Danish Atlas” published 1760-65 and displayed here, the Manor’s demesne land was valued at approx. “28 barrels of hard grain” and the tenants’ farms were valued at “259 barrels of hard grain”. Further, the esquire of Estrup would receive tithes of “166 barrels of hard grain”. “Hard grains” were barley, rye, and peas. A “barrel of hard grains” was equal to approx. 1383 acres, disregarding varying land qualities. The Danish Atlas was donated by Karen Stafford.