MINUTES OF CONNECTIONS BOARD MEETING 11-16-10

jls.pausd.org

MINUTES OF CONNECTIONS BOARD MEETING 11-16-10

MINUTES OF CONNECTIONS BOARD MEETING 11-­‐16-­‐10

PRESENT: Katie Schramm, Sharon Ofek, Kim Lohse, Ramji, Xia, Linda, Chris,

Catherine Whitmar, Natasha Moiseyev

1. Last Month’s Notes: approve -­‐-­‐ approved unanimously.

2. Confirmation of expenditures: Xia asked to confirm that expenditures for

Quickbooks and flip cameras were approved last time. It was agreed that these

expenditures had been approved. Quickbooks was chosen because of multiple user

online capacity.

3. Spaghetti Feed – Chris will put it on JLS online on 11/17 to advertise, and it will

be announced on KJLS. Kim noted that the kids are figuring out all the

responsibilities and are going to run the entire event. Kim plans to send out a

reminder to parents on 11/17. All proceeds from the Feed go to DC Scholarships.

Last year, some people donated directly at the Spaghetti Feed.

4. DC Scholarships – 34 registered, 1 more expected to register. Need $5400 right

now based on information from parents. A lot of the families have need but don’t

meet requirements for available scholarships. This fund will enable those children

to attend.

5. Current state of finances: A $3000 check was in fact already deposited during the

summer (refund from World Strides) and has already been absorbed into the

general funds. But the issue of a matching gift from Adobe ($1970) is unresolved.

Xia followed up with Jag, who followed up with Mary Ann. Still tracking – it

probably just has not arrived yet. Linda asked if it would be applied to DC expenses

(scholarship fund) and no one was able to answer that question. We need to

fundraise whatever is not raised (last year, JLS PTA absorbed about $2,500) The

amount is fully due at the end of February.

6. Direct Appeal:

Total amount requested: $12,500 – total annual budget -­‐ $100 from $150 families.

Ramji suggested sending out Direct Appeal information in December so that people

would be able to get a tax deduction for the donation, with a second round of

appeals in January to follow up. We are limited to current kids – but we will maybe

try to fundraise from alum parents.

Becky Epstein has sent out a draft message for the direct appeal, and all were asked

to review and comment. Linda will write a new email and send it out for comment.

It was noted that the fundraising in December is for any number of projects – not

just the DC trip. Part of the fundraising is for costumes – Kim applied for PiE grant

for this and will hear in January.


Erina will need to talk to Sushant about sending to Alumni – clarify if he has a

master list.

It was agreed that WE WILL START WITH DIRECT APPEAL AND THEN WE WILL

SEE HOW MUCH WE HAVE AND SEE HOW MUCH WE STILL NEED TO GET.

7. Future planning: Kim discussed informing new Connections parents in acceptance

letters that the DC trip is in 8 th grade and alerting parents to start saving now. Sixth

and Seventh Grade classes could start fundraising now – and keep those funds in an

earmarked account. Spanish Immersion does this too – they do a giant garage sale

and booths at Stanford – if you are the workers, then your organization gets a share

of the proceeds made by that booth.

Sharon mentioned that she has been to a lot of the silent auctions and other “buy it

now” auctions. Some were happy hour at a restaurant. We could also have dinner

nights. Some possibilities are Mayfield Café and Cedro. We just need to talk to PTA.

Other suggestions were: Do an Amazon wishlist for people to donate items

requested by teachers; ask James Sperry if we have a counter saying how many

people look at it and whether that is feasible just for the Connections link (Sharon

to ask).

Katie will send an email asking if anyone has an interest in putting together a

restaurant night.

BOTTOM LINE: Direct appeal in December, Wishlists online, possibly other

fundraisers during rest of the year.

8. Budget: The Board discussed difference between cash balance and income

obtained throughout the year. We had no fundraiser last year. The budget is a list

of anticipated direct income. We have already spent about half of the amount that

we started with.

Marina to talk to Xia about the budget before we approve it. They will backtrack

and confirm the numbers. There was about $8600

We are holding out until next time for approving budget.

We are adjourned at 7:49 pm.

More magazines by this user
Similar magazines