St Pauls Papanui Cemetery - Christchurch City Libraries

christchurchcitylibraries.com

St Pauls Papanui Cemetery - Christchurch City Libraries

In 1873 Turrell had, as a pupil, Robert Heaton Rhodes, later Sir Robert Heaton

Rhodes. At that time the fees were 25 pounds and four shillings, there being textbooks

in arithmetic, spelling, geography, history, English and French grammar and a junior

Reader. To give some idea of how expensive Turrell’s fees were, one can note that, in

1888 average private wealth in the country was 216 pounds per head and the average

income of breadwinners in 1893 was 91 pounds.

‘A thorough linguist’, Turrell became part time lecturer and, eventually Professor of

Modern Languages, at Canterbury University College. He was well-known locally as

a chess player.

Turrell’s wife, Charlotte Wilhelmina Turrell, 63, died on 9 October 1900. Turrell died

at Mays Road on 27 October 1906.

No. 210

Forwood

Henry Forwood, son of T. W. J. Forwood of Tiverton, Devonshire, was educated at

the Forest School, Walthamstow, Essex, and, for 12 years, worked in the Dorking

branch of the London County Bank. He arrived in Lyttelton on the Red Gauntlet in

1879, gaining employment as a clerk. On 2 September 1880, at St. Mary’s church,

Merivale, he married Susannah Jane Foote. Henry, a bachelor, was ‘full age’ while

Susannah, a spinster, was ‘under age’; Henry was 30, his bride 17.

The Forwoods lived at Oak Hill Lodge, 7 Murray Street Place, a St. Albans enclave

where the social elite were ensconced. They became well known when they leased 50

acres of rich quality land in Church Road (Rutland Street), an area which, though not

far from their home, was the dwelling place of more humble people.

Part of the property belonged to a deceased estate and part was Church Property Trust

Land. On the property Henry established ‘Churchill Farm’ or the ‘St. Albans Model

Farm’. A ‘perfect picture’, this example of intensive farming was also highly

profitable. The farm was devoted to cropping, dairying and the raising of pigs and

poultry. It gave regular employment to four men (including a manager), a boy and a

dairymaid.

Crops included spring sown wheat, oats which were used for winter feed, carrots,

potatoes, meadow hay and rye grass.

Forwood was a great believer in housing and feeding his stock well. The corrugated

iron sheds on the property were lined with timber, possessed of evenly laid brick

floors, open to the sun and housed a dozen Jersey and Shorthorn cows. In the winter

the cows were fed on oaten and meadow hay and carrots, the latter being first put

through a slicing machine.

Two compact dairies stood under the shade of trees and were match-lined for the sake

of coolness and cleanliness. In the centre of the concrete floors, artesian fountains

played during the summer months. The comment was made:

St. Paul’s Papanui Cemetery

2007

39

More magazines by this user
Similar magazines