Conservation Plan Addington Cemetery - Christchurch City Libraries

Conservation Plan Addington Cemetery - Christchurch City Libraries

Conservation Plan for Addington Cemetery

children died in infancy and the premature death of their son James who died in his

early teens is recorded on the left hand headstone. The right hand headstone notes

the death of six of David Scott and Lilly Lintin’s children in infancy.


Mary Ann Farr, 86, died on 22 September 1912

Samuel Charles Farr, 91, died on 14 July 1918

Samuel Charles FARR was born at Baldock, Hertfordshire. His father was a builder and he

learned the occupation of architect in the parental yard rather than through having spent

the requisite number of years studying in an architect’s office.

Farr and his fiancée, Mary Ann Pavitt, were on the Monarch when it crossed the Tasman in

a heavy gale, the rudder ‐ and a second rudder ‐ being lost. The ship limped into Akaroa

Harbour on 2 April 1850. They and others decided to stay ‐ thus becoming pre‐Adamite

settlers, people who were here prior to the arrival of the First Four

Ships in December 1850.

While in Akaroa, Farr rebuilt the crushed cogwheels in Canterbury’s first flourmill in the

Grehan Valley, built sawmills in partnership with his Pavitt in‐laws at Robinsons


Barrys Bay, Duvauchelle and the Head of the Bay, designed the first small Anglican church

in Akaroa.

Farr practised as an architect in Christchurch. He was architect of the original


owned Town Hall and designed the Presbyterian churches at Papanui, Lyttelton, Kaiapoi

and Leeston and the normal School in Cranmer Square. Farr also designed a number of

private dwellings.


More magazines by this user
Similar magazines