historical walking tour of - Toronto Public Library
Toronto and York Radial Rallway Company Repair Barns and Marshalling Yard, November 22, 1911 ORIGINALLY TORONTO AND YORK RADIAL RAILWAY COMPANY, DEER PARK CARHOUSE AND SHOPS. NOW THE BADMINTON AND RACQUET CLUB OF TORONTO 25 S1 CLAIR AVENUE WEST 1907 ) Renovation by George. l1oorhouse & King. 1924. The Metropolitan Street Railway Company of Toronto was incorporated on March 2, 1877 to provide street railway service north on Yonge Street from Yorkville to the Town Hall at Eglinton. Service began on January 26, 1885 when the company began to operate'horsedrawn streetcars on a single track (with sidings for crossings) on the west side of the roadway. Riders could buy 25 tickets for one dollar, and according to the company's franchise there were to be a minimum of four round trips a day. In 1889, the company decided to electrify its streetcars. The first electric car service began on September 2, 1890, but was soon withdrawn due to technical difficulties, and the horsecars were reinstated. The 36 MSR rebuilt the entire line and the electric cars were once again in service early in 1891. A power house and shops were built at the top of Cemetery Hill, south of the Belt line Railway bridge, on what was then the northwest corner of the Mount Pleasant Cemetery property, just west of Yonge Street. In 1904, the Toronto and York Radial Railway (incorporated in 1898 and controlled by the Toronto Railway Company from 1904) acquired the Metropolitan Railway Company (as renamed in 1897). The TRC was headed by Sir William Mackenzie (1849-1923), a local reSident, having purchased Simeon H. Janes' beautiful Avenue Road manSion, Benvenuto, in 1897. The electric street railway began at the CPR crossing and by 1909 service had reached Sutton. The carhouse, shops and yards for the suburban and interurban systems were located on the west side of Yonge Street, south of St. Clair Avenue. They replaced the original Cemetery Hill facility, and were enlarged in 1910. In 1920, the Toronto
Transportation Commission was established to provide public transit for the city, and the Deer Park property· had to be vacated by the Toronto and York Radial Railway. Three years later, the T&YRR offered the property and buildings for sale. The newly-formed Badminton and Racquet Club of Toronto purchased part of the site and the buildings in 1924. The club sold the Yonge Street frontage -access to the club is now by a private driveway from St. Clair Avenue West - and converted the buildings for racquet sports. The barn Badminton and Racquet Club of Toronto, 1925 37 became seven badminton courts, and the marshalling yards were transformed into four clay tennis courts. The old machine shops were changed into squash courts and clubhouse facilities. Since 1924, the club has had some alterations, some major construction, and a tennis bubble added. During one construction period, a section of railway track from the marshalling yards was uncovered. The metal pieces were forged into fire irons for the fireplace in the lounge.