Minutes of the Freeport Park District
Board of Commissioners Regular Meeting
Held on February 6, 2007
1. In attendance were Commissioner Keith, Yarzak, Jungen, Collin, Executive Director
Carey, Secretary Witt, Superintendent Ehlbeck and Schneider, Dave Phillips, John
Whiton, Sally Spudich, JC Wilson, John Cook, Cheryl Hartman, Martha Furst, Mayor
George Gaulrapp and Jim Drehoble. Dana Stewart: Absent.
2. President Jungen called the meeting to order at 6:30 P.M.
3. President Jungen called the public hearing on Bond Issue Notification Act to order.
The reasons for the proposed issuance of Bonds includes: the payment of capital
improvements and/or addition to District property relative to two State of Illinois Open
Space, Land Acquisition and Development (OSLAD) grants, a State of Illinois Boat
Access Area Development (BAAD) grant and other planned Capital improvement
4. Executive Director Carey presented the districts capital improvement program
including these grant projects and funding options available to us and a schedule for
repaying the bonds.
5. President Jungen asked for written testimony to be read. None Received.
6. President Jungen asked for all persons desiring to express oral testimony or any public
comments concerning the proposed issuance of the bonds to be heard now.
7. A written statement was read by John Cook and received. Cheryl Hartman and Martha
8. With all persons wishing to be heard have been given the opportunity to present
testimony with respect to the proposed issuance of bonds, on a motion by
Commissioner Collin and second by Commissioner Keith the public hearing was
adjourned at 7:20 P.M. Roll Call Vote: Aye: Collin, Aye: Keith, Aye: Yarzak, Aye:
9. On a motion by Commissioner Keith and second by Commissioner Yarzak to approve
the minutes of the January 16, 2007 board meeting. Motion passed.
10. On a motion by Commissioner Yarzak and second by Commissioner Keith to adopt
Bond Ordinance #07-02-06 abating the tax levied for the year 1998. Roll Call Vote:
Aye: Yarzak, Aye: Keith, Aye: Collin, Aye: Jungen.
11. On a motion by Commissioner Collin and second by Commissioner Yarzak to approve
the Stephenson County Historical Society’s request for a fund 15 match of the $500
conservation grant received from the Illinois Association of Museums. Roll Call Vote:
Aye; Collin, Aye: Yarzak, Aye; Keith, Aye: Jungen.
12. Executive Director Carey and Superintendent Ehlbeck presented a State of Illinois
Recreational Trails Program grant opportunity, funding 80% of the cost of completing
a portion of the west loop extension from the Wes Block/Jane Addams Trailhead south
through Preston Bottoms across Business 20 and Lily Creek Road, past Countryside
Estates and around the Golf Course to West Stephenson Street.
13. On a motion by Commissioner Keith and second by Commissioner Yarzak to release
executive session minutes from January 17, 2006; February 7, 2006; March 14, 2006;
May 2, 2006; and July 18, 2006, all others to remain confidential. Motion passed.
14. On a motion by Commissioner Keith and second by Commissioner Collin to move into
executive session at 7:45 P.M. for the purpose of discussing the appointment and
compensation of an employee pursuant to Sections 2(c)(1) of the Illinois Open
Meetings Act. Roll Call Vote: Aye: Keith, Aye: Collin, Aye: Yarzak, Aye; Jungen.
15. On a motion by Commissioner Keith and second by Commissioner Yarzak to move
out of executive session and reconvene into regular session at 8:02 P.M. Roll Call
Vote: Aye; Keith, Aye; Yarzak, Aye; Collin, Aye; Jungen.
16. On a motion by Commissioner Yarzak and second by Commissioner Keith to approve
a 2 year contract agreement for employment of the Executive Director Jack Carey.
Roll Call Vote: Aye; Yarzak, Aye: Keith, Aye: Collin, Aye; Jungen.
17. On a motion by Commissioner Keith and second by Commissioner Yarzak to adjourn
the meeting at 8:05 P.M. Motion passed.
Thomas Jungen, President
Vickie L Witt, Secretary