fall gazette 2004 - Gateway Riders Index


fall gazette 2004 - Gateway Riders Index

Vol. 32 Number 5 Fall 2004

Gateway Riders BMW Club


Legendary Riders of the Midwest

The Editor Speaks!

Editor: Art Wheeler

phone: (636) 391-4874

email: wnodrog@hotmail.com

50,000 Miles…

…wow do they really last that long? That

was the question posed to me by a GE service

engineer after looking at some photos of my

bike, I have at work. Sure I say, in fact I have

no reason to believe it wonʼt go 100,000+

miles without any major repairs other than

normal maintenance. It turns out he has a Suzuki TL1000s with

a few thousand on the clock. After I learned that fact I understood

his question better, could you imagine putting that many miles on

a motorcycle if your only reference was a TL1000? Just thinking

about your riding position on one makes my whole body ache. Iʼm

sure that if I turned over enough rocks I could fi nd a few TLʼs with

50,000+ miles, just the same for low mileage BMWʼs (I found 5

ranging from 1996 – 1970 with under 10,000 miles in the September


Prior to 1996 when I bought my current bike (96 R850r) I had pretty

much the same train of thought and not only would I have thought

that a motorcycle (or a cage for that matter) with 50k on the clock

was worn out, I couldnʼt have imagined packing it up and hitting the

road to places like Maine, Oregon, or Canada.

All of that changed in 1996 with the purchase of my 850. Today

if you were to give me the time, I would be gone tomorrow, never

a second thought. Of the 50,000 on it the majority are from long

distance travel to places I had never seen before. I have never been

one to commute to work on my bike for one reason or another, I can

come up with lots of excuses but, mostly itʼs because Iʼm lazy (not

afraid to say it).

Who knows, that may change in the future. For now though I can

only imagine where the next 50,000 will take me, hopefully to places

Iʼve never been and a few I have. When my young daughter gets to

the age she can ride, I hope to share some of the miles and places

with her. And if the next 50,000 passes before she is ready so be it,

there will always be next 50.

Until next time,

Ride Safe, Ride Far, and Every Chance You Get.

On the Cover: The Number One vote getter for our Gateway Riders Calendar.

Art Mester took this photo during his “Tour de Elk” 2002.

Page 2 The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004

Gateway Riders BMW Club

P.O. Box 11563

Clayton, MO 63105

AMA #4770 BMW MOA #22

President: Marilyn Roberts

phone: (314) 878-5097

email: mrob46@earthlink.net

Vice President: Susan Anderson

phone: (314) 831-7363

email: susnandrsn@aol.com

Treasurer: Ed Fusco

phone: (314) 369-0818

email: EdF@wilsonmfg.com

Secretary: Jim Shaw

phone: (314) 521-0341

Rally Director: Larry Floyd

phone: (314) 892-7012

email: sickleguy@aol.com

Technical: David Griffi n

phone: (636) 300-3388

Membership: Peter Hayden

phone: (636) 256-3306

email: PeteSally@aol.com

Web Master: Art Mester

phone: (314) 830-1544

email: artk75@swbell.net


Please send all submissionʼs to the

Editorʼs email address at left. For snail

mail please call for instructions. MS

Word, Apple Works, & text fi les are the

best. Photos, send the originals and I

will scan it, or .jpg, .gif, or .tiff. If you

are unsure about fi le type or photos give

the Editor a call or email fi rst. You canʼt

blame me for any mistakes, if I have to

type it. Deadlines are Feb 1st, Apr 1st,

Jun 1st, Aug 1st, and Oct 1st.

Events Calendar:

Events Director: Jeff Ackerman

Fall 2004

Phone: (314) 838-2161 email: Mary.Ackerman@worldnet.att.net

Note: For those rides starting there, we are meeting at the McDonaldʼs, which is about 1 mile east of the Manchester entrance to

West County Center.

NOTE: Your Events Directorʼs ride list is getting somewhat sparse. Please let me know what kind of rides

(types and destinations) you would like to have so I can fill out the calendar into next spring. (Thanks - Jeff)

Also, now is the time to think about running for office next year. We are looking for good candidates. Please

see Marilyn or Jeff.

∗ Oct. 23: Fall Technical Session at Art Mesterʼs house (4038 Hounds Hill Dr. in North County). Please feel

free to come and work on your bike. Tools are available for most jobs done to prepare your bike for the end of

the riding season (or the cold season). Bring a jug for used oil or antifreeze. 10 AM 314-830-1544

∗ Oct. 24: St. Johnʼs GildenHaus Sausage Dinner; Take the scenic route down to the Church; and leave early to

beat the crowd. Meet at the McDonalds on Manchester (see above) at 9:00/Leave 9:30; Ride Leader Needed

∗ Oct. 31: Turkey Hill Grange Sausage Dinner. This Oct. has 5 Sundays so we can go to both (Gildenhaus and

here). Meet at the McDonalds on Manchester at 9:00/Leave 9:30;. Jeff Ackerman 314-838-2161

∗ Nov. 7: St. Patrickʼs in Ruma (Chicken & Strawberry Festival) has their Wurstmart and Meat Shoot. Meet at

the McDonaldʼs off Manchester at 9:00/Leave 9:30 – We may split into two groups with the GS group taking

the lesser traveled “levee” roads (with gravel in varying amounts). The road group can take the Bluff Road.

Mary and Jeff Ackerman 314-838-2161

∗ Nov. 14: Pizza Ride to celebrate Veteranʼs Day – Art Wheeler will lead a Pizza Ride. Meet at the McDonaldʼs

on Manchester, about 1 mile east of West County Center at 9:30/Leave 10:00. 636-391-4874

∗ Nov. 17: Wednesday General Meeting at Maloneʼs Pub and Grill; 1320 Triad Center Drive (off McClay), St.

Peters, Arrive no later than 6:30 if you plan on eating. Meeting starts at 7:30 sharp. 636-447-1707

∗ Nov. 21: Riderʼs Choice (maybe Missouri Hickʼs BBQ in Cuba). Meet at the McDonalds on Manchester at 9:

00/Leave 9:30; Ride Leader Needed


∗ December 17: Christmas Party at Catering to You (same place as the last several years) 12775 New Halls

Ferry Rd.; 314-839-3244, Check this newsletter for more info. RSVP with Jim Shaw (314-521-0341) early so

we can get an accurate head count. $10 for members / $20 for guests this year

∗ Dec. 31: New Yearʼs Eve Party – Volunteers to hold the party needed

NOTE: We need volunteers for the New Yearʼs Eve, Super Bowl, and Valentines Day parties. A supplement

with the early 2004 events and New Yearʼs Eve party information will be sent out with the election ballots in


∗ Events that are starred are point events. BMW rallies greater than 500 miles away are point rides, even if not listed. Note: See the

MOA magazine or website: www.bmwmoa.org for more Rally information.

The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004 Page 3

Presidential View...

By: Marilyn Roberts

As I write this I am sitting in a KOA Kamping Kabin

in the Tetons. Summer is winding down or maybe itʼs

already wound down, and the past summerʼs riding

brings some fond memories. Here in the Tetons itʼs

pretty cool but I still think about my bikes back

home and wish I could ride them out


The ride home from the ʻMOA

rally in Spokane with The

Postmaster, Rich Race and Jay

Green has to be a highlight

of the summer. In addition to

some good hard riding and some

wonderful sights, the company

was good. And after a sustained

2800 mile ride, I fi nally bonded with Valentino (my

ʼ03 R1150R).

The Hard to be Humble Rally is an excellent Midwest

rally and this year was no exception. The weather was

wonderful… beginning on Saturday. As I watched

the rain fall on

Friday I put out

an invitation to

other “pansies”

who might

want to wait

out the rain

and drive up

on Saturday.

Three others

met me early

Saturday morning at the Pontoon Beach McDonalds

and we had a great ride up to Pontiac, arriving in time

for an early lunch. The Dinksʼ theme this year was

“Elvis” and Beth Forristal and Gene Kautz looked

just like The King in a wig that Beth brought to the

rally. After the rally a few of us met some other club

members in Peoria to watch the dirt track time trials

(just like fl at track racing but thereʼs a right-hand

curve and a hill in the course), and do a little people

watching, too. It was a great weekend.

Page 4 The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004

BMW Motorcycles of St. Louis fi nally moved to

the new building and seventeen Gateway Riders

volunteered to work all day to get the shop moved.

That was an excellent turnout—more than some club

rides—and I thank you all for spending a Sunday

working your butts off. George, Mae and Gene even

went back on Monday. I know that Diane and Fred

appreciated the help, too. The new phone number

is 314-991-8777 and the address is 2121 Adams

Executive Dr. (basically Lackland Rd.). If you havenʼt

been there, the shop is located between Page Ave. and

Lackland Rd., but the entrance is off Lackland Rd.

From I-270, exit Page Ave. east, go to the fi rst traffi c

light at Schuetz Rd. and turn right, then turn left on

Lackland at the next traffi c light. The shop is about a

quarter mile down Lackland.

BMW MOA held its 3 rd open house late in September

and I noticed that a whole bunch of Gateway Riders

were there chowing down. Well, thatʼs what we like

to do, isnʼt it? Thanks to all of you who came out to

share our barbeque and other goodies.

Keep the shiny side up and donʼt miss the Falling



Going to Daytona

next year?

Going to Daytona next year?

Would you like to share a camp site

with fellow Gateway Riders? If so

contact Mae & George Glascock

(bmweml@worldnet.att.net) or

(314)522-1763. They have a

camp-site on the Ocean & near the

BMW site ($20 / person). They

can take up to six (6) more people

for there site. The site has electric

and is within 60 yards from tap

water and restrooms. The site is

reserved March 7th to 12th, 2005.

If you are interested let them know


Now Open!

BMW Motorcycles of St. Louis

new location is now Open! You

can fi nd them at:

2121 Adam Executive Drive

Saint Louis, MO 63146

GPS N 38º 41ʼ54.8”

W 90º 25ʼ36.6”

The Fine Print:

The Gateway Gazette is

published bi-monthly by the

Gateway Riders BMW Motorcycle

Club. Subscription is free to

members of the Gateway Riders

BMW Motorcycle Club.

The Gateway Gazette accepts no

paid Advertising. For Permission

to reprint or quote excerpts

contact the editor.

50 th Anniversary

Our very own George and Mae Glascock are celebrating their 50 th anniversary.

Thatʼs quite a milestone, so the next time you see them let them

know. Congratulations George & Mae!!

The Christmas

party has moved!

Mark it on your calendars Now!

The Christmas party will be

December 17 th . A little later in the

month than it has been the past few

years. It will still be at the same

location. More details to follow in

the Holiday Extra newsletter.

What in the World is it?

The Contest! Rules are: You must

submit your answerer in writing

to the editor before the dead-line.

The dead-line is listed below the

photo. Only one entry per-person.

Your chances of winning will

be determined by the number of

correct answerers. Prize will be announced

at time of drawing.

The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004 Page 5

By: Bret & Denise Ransom

Switzerland branch of the Gateway Riders.

It all started innocently enough with an E-mail from

fellow club member Bill McAllister. “Going to

Garmisch?” was the question it posed. Having no idea

what Bill was talking about, I felt compelled to call him

and ask him what was a Garmisch. Only the biggest

BMW rally in the world, over 24000 bikes last year,

held in Germany. Oh, that Garmisch I replied. (I wasnʼt

fooling anybody though) I hadnʼt really though about

it, but decided to consult a map and find out just where

it is. As it turns out the rally is only three short hours

from Luzern by motorcycle and since Iʼve been putting

in hellish hours I thought I might be able to leave work,

guilt free, early on Friday and be there in time for the

kickoff festivities. Good plan.

Denise booked a room for us in Zirl Austria, about

24 kilometers from the rally site. Hopefully close

enough to easily attend the festivities every day and

far enough away to get a reasonably priced dinner at a

nice restaurant if we were so inclined. But what to do

with the bike? I had been battling with a VERY stiff

throttle cable since early spring and the mountain riding

Page 6 The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004

had done nothing to improve it.

Either the throttle cables would

have to be replaced or I would

have to use a strap wrench to open and close the throttle

enroute. A service bulletin has been published covering

the K1200LT sticky throttle condition, but there was an

ordeal about the timing of my request for action. After

some haggling with the service and parts managers at

St. Louis BMW I departed with a set of free cables

and a copy of the service bulletin, but was on my

own to install them. According to the shop manual a

skilled mechanic would only need 4 hours to install

the new cables. Confident that this would be easily

accomplished in fewer than 8 novice hours, I went to

the garage with Denise Saturday morning and began

removing the plastic. Two hours later the old throttle

cables were coming out. So far so good. Two hours

and fifteen minutes into the project and I discovered

that St. Louis BMW had given me 2 closing cables and

no opening cables. Since the country of Switzerland

closes on Saturday afternoon to Monday morning,

(remember the Missouri Blue Law?) alternative action

would have to be taken on Monday.

The company where I am working is quite motorcycle

friendly. Bikes are welcome to

come onto the compound and can

be parked under covered shelters

whereas cars must park in a lot a

quarter mile walk away. A couple

of weeks ago I saw a BMW

R1200C custom parked under an

overhang near our hangar that was

no doubt the best looking BMW

Iʼve ever seen. I looked up the

owner and he informed me that

this was indeed a custom that

was purchased from a company

called Gruter and Gut (www.ggtechnik.ch),

located not 5 miles

from our plant. If anyone could

help with a cable these guys

probably could. I went over

during lunch and was treated to

the site of some beautiful custom

motorcycles and one brilliant

yellow R1150 quad that was

featured in the Geneva motorcycle show last year. The

manager on duty informed me that my cable would be

there on Tuesday morning. I vowed I would be there

with my checkbook and my digital camera.

I arrived bright and early on Tuesday morning and was

presented with a brand new closing cable. Now I had

three closing cables and still no opening cable. The

miscommunication was understandable since the only

German I know is “Weʼll have two beers please and my

friend will pay”. After a quick consultation with the

illustrated parts catalog, I departed, the proper cable on

order and scheduled to show up on Wednesday morning.

When we started this task on Saturday I thought we

would have plenty of time, now I was starting to sweat

it. The new cable would

have to go in perfectly

and the reassembly of

the fuel injection rail,

charcoal filter valve,

and numerous shrouds,

snorkels and brackets,

now disassembled 4

days ago would have

to be remembered with

perfect clarity and

reassembled without

mistake. My friend Ron

volunteered to come over

Wednesday after work

and give me a hand.

My plan was to spend

as much time as needed

to get the throttle cable

installed, and the bike

running on Wednesday night, and then finish up the

plastic installation on Thursday night. Ron and I

worked feverishly taking time only to drink numerous

Swiss beers to replace the vital bodily fluids we were

sweating out. Turns out that was a bad idea.

By nine oʼclock the bike was reassembled, minus the

plastic, and fired up. The bike started easily and idled

well and the throttle worked like new. Confident that the

installation of the fairings would go well on Thursday

we called it a night. The next night, Denise and I hit

the garage right after dinner. Thanks to Deniseʼs clever

taping of all the fasteners in their correct positions as

the fairings came off, we were able to complete the

reassembly in short order.

Friday morning, D-day. I thought Iʼd give the bike a

quick test hop to work to make sure all was well, then

leave around two, pick up Denise and be on the road to

Garmisch by three. The LT fired right up and we crept

out of the garage to make the 6 kilometer ride to work.

When I opened the throttle to pull out onto the main

thoroughfare three of the four cylinders performed

flawlessly!!! I couldnʼt believe that two amateur, beer

soaked mechanics could do such a crappy job!! My

guess was that the one of the fuel injectors or fuel

injector connectors was not properly seated or became

contaminated by 5 days of exposure, waiting on the

part. To make matters worse it was raining and now

my kill switch and cruise control werenʼt functioning

either. Time was definitely not on my side but there

was no way we were going to miss the weekend. I

enlisted the aid of an interpreter and called my new

friends at Grutter and Gut. I told them I would need to

rent a bike for the weekend because there was no way I

was going to a BMW rally in a Honda CRV.

As it turns out, this dealership will rent BMWʼs and

Ducatiʼs for reasonable rates and they had a nearly new

R1150RT available for immediate departure. Club

members who would like to attend the Garmisch rally

next year should take note of this. Luzern is a beautiful

departure point for the rally and the time on the road

can vary from 3 hours to 6 hours depending on whether

you would like a blast down the autobahn or to snake

through the twisties. Denise and I are definitely going

Continued on Page 17

The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004 Page 7

Mary’s Peak

By: Larry Floyd

The RPMʼs were winding up again as I twisted the

throttle to get some momentum for yet another steep

switchback ascent. The K-100 answered with its

characteristic whine and, even with Sharon in the

Hannigan and a full load of camping gear, another slope

was conquered. I could see Smitty on his K-1200 in my

rear view mirror as he made the tight turn behind me.

Gene and Barb would not be far behind. Even though

they were fully loaded with a sidecar as well and pulling

a trailer, I was certain their Gold Wing would handle

the grade. While the scenery was gorgeous, it was late

and I was ready to set up camp and get some grub in the

pot. Frankly, the further we climbed the less optimistic

I became. Then we hit the gravel.

About an hour before I

was in the lead on route

34 about 20 miles west of

Alsea, Oregon. We were

rolling along, enjoying

the nice twisty road when

I spotted a guy ahead in

an orange vest and a hard

hat holding up a big STOP

sign – road construction.

When I flipped up the lid

on my helmet and asked

how long it might be,

he replied, “About 15

minutes.” One might think

a delay like this would be

an irritant. In fact, I was

glad to cut the engine

that had been roasting

my legs to medium well

all day and stretch a little

bit. Since we had not

yet picked a campground for the evening, I asked the

highway sign guy if he knew of any places nearby. He

sort of screwed his face up a little and said he wasnʼt

from this area and really didnʼt know what was around.

But, by that time, a few cars had pulled up behind us.

The sign guy yelled out to one of the people standing

by their car asking if he knew of any campgrounds. He

Page 8 The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004

thought for a minute, and then said there was a state

park south of Alsea, and there was a national forest

campground on Maryʼs Peak. He recalled there were

pit toilets there, but said he didnʼt think there were any

showers. National Forest campgrounds are often on the

primitive side. We had made considerable efforts to

pick campgrounds with showers on this trip, but as late

as it was getting we were running out of options.

We pulled out our maps and searched the area, but it

looked like it was either one of these or we would have

to settle for a KOA about two hours away. Gene and I

conferred a little bit, but how can you possibly pass up

any campground with the word “peak” in it? When the

sign guy twisted the pole and we saw “GO”, our target

destination was set.

When we turned onto the road to Maryʼs Peak, I was

immediately skeptical, as the sign pointing to the park

said nothing about camping. It did say that it was

5 miles to the summit. I mentally calculated that it

would take us at least a half hour to make it up to the

summit and then back down if it turned out there was

no camping available. Then, we would face a good

hour or more to get to the next town where we had no

idea whether or not there would be any place to stay. If

Maryʼs Peak did not pan out, we would not be settled in

until after dark and dinner, if there was one, would most

likely be a sandwich.

When my wheels touched the gravel road there was

a deep pang of worry. The sidecars could handle the

loose stuff just fine, but Smitty was on two wheels and

pulling a trailer. I could not safely stop to turn around

on the slope, so I pressed on. Thankfully, the gravel

only lasted about a quarter of a mile then turned to

blacktop again. At that point, I pulled over to have a

conference to decide if it was worth it to keep climbing

and risk another gravel patch, or whether we should

just turn around and look for something else. Gene

volunteered to go on up in his sidecar and come back

with a report. In just a minute he returned with great

news. We were actually almost to the campground.

Had we turned around we would have missed it by just

a few hundred yards.

The campground was primitive but some of the sites

were large enough to handle our group as long as we

racked ʻn stacked the two pop up trailers the right way.

There was a pit toilet - a nice one as pit toilets go. By

nice I mean it had a concrete floor, wasnʼt dirty, didnʼt

smell nasty, had a full roll of toilet paper, and there were

no mud dauber nests. My definition of “nice” varies a

good bit depending upon how many days I have been

on the road and how late it gets.

There were only 6 campsites hacked into the woods.

When we arrived, all of them were empty. This was

kind of eerie. As soon as we stepped off the bikes,

the mosquitos started swarming. They were the deep

woods type, you know tiny and very persistant. But it

was now twilight and, like it or not, this was going to be

our home for the evening.

After weeks on the road we were almost robot like in

setting up camp in minimal time. As soon as we could,

Gene started a smoky fire in the large fire ring to help

repel the blood sucking insects while we put together a

simple meal.

After dinner, Sharon and Barb announced they were

going to take a walk. According to the signs we were

close to the peak and they wanted to see the view

before it got too dark. A view is what they wanted and

a view is what they got. From the road just outside the

campground, there was an area overlooking the valley

to the west. But, the valley was not visible because

it was covered by fog. The setting sun to the West

reflected off the top of the fluffy vapor cover in beautiful

hues of red, with a brilliant blue sky behind. Words are

marvelous vehicles, but sights like this one have to be

experienced. Fortunately, Sharon had her camera with

her and we now have some treasured images of those

few minutes of sheer awe.

Owing to the elevation, which was above 5,000 feet, the

evening was cool. The combination of insect repellent

and the smoky fire did a pretty good job of keeping

the bugs in check. Gene sneaked out into the woods

and tried to fool us with a lame moose call that we all,

with the exception of Sharon, immediately identified

as bogus. The collective mood of the group lightened


A cool night in a thick sleeping bag in the deep woods

is a great thing as long as you donʼt have to get up and

go outside the tent to pee. It was a great night.

In the morning, we were once again renewed and ready

to mount the bikes for another day of sightseeing. First,

we decided to ride up to the summit to take a last look.

I have seen a lot of vistas from high places, and this one

was pretty typical. However, the field at this summit

was slathered in wild flowers of all colors making this

place on the earth totally unique. I donʼt know who

Mary was, but I sure liked her peak. Too soon, we

saddled up to seek out more unique places.

There are moments in time when I understand why we

put up with cantankerous vibrating machines, searing

heat, and aching joints. Some things are just worth the


The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004 Page 9

By: Art Mester

The weather forecast for Salida was good when we left

St. Louis. I had high hopes for a good weeks worth of

dual sport riding with my friends Chuck Lanczkowski

and Darrel Kuhse. As we got closer to Salida, the

weather report was changing. Rain and snow at the

higher elevations early in the week was forecast. It

was a relief to find good weather, when we arrived the

weather was great! Cool and clear.

Monday got off to a rocky start when I lead everyone 15

miles in the wrong direction. After finally recovering

my bearings, we rode south out of Salida on route 25.

We rode over county roads that were easy enough. Then

came the trail marker for the Colorado trail. The trail

still looked passable by our big dual sport bikes, and

the trail marker indicated that two-wheel vehicle could

ride over it, so away we went, with Darrel leading the

way. After a mile or mile and a half the trail tightened

up considerably and turned very rocky. So, discretion

being the better part of valor, we turned around while

the trail was wide enough. That was our first experience

with the Colorado Trail. We would see it many times

through out our riding.

Back on CR200 we rode it to the end and picked up CR

243. This road takes you past Ouray peak and back to

Page 10 The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004

highway 50 west of Monarch pass. We rode 50 east

back into Salida and then the hotel for a quick rest and

a view of the map. Darrel and I went across the street

to an ATV place and asked about where some trails

were. The owner told us how to get to Rainbow trail

very quickly. Armed with this information we geared

up again and took off.

The road we turned off on was only a mile and a half

away and quickly went up into the mountains. The

road turned to gravel, then quickly to 4 WD drive road.

It was great! We road three or four miles before we

came to a locked gate. We turned around and went

back down this time taking one of the turn offʼs we

spotted on the way up. This trail went on for quite a

long way before we ran into the Rainbow trail. We

decided to take it, as it looked wide and fairly easy.

This portion of the trail was great! We rode it for over

5 miles before fallen trees blocked the trail. There was

a secondary single-track trail that lead off at a sharp

angle. I walked the trail for over a quarter of a mile

(remember, we were at about 8,000 feet altitude) to

check the trail out. I was all for taking it as I believed

it was just a short distance to highway 24 on the other

side of the mountain. However, we were all tired, and

the light was fading fast. We opted to return the way

we came. On the way back to the hotel we stopped at a

local restaurant for dinner. We were soaked with sweat

and tired! It turned to be a fantastic day!

Tuesday I woke up early and hiked down to the Shop

and Save store for a cup of coffee while the others

slept. The weather had turned cloudy, windy and cold.

I should have put on long pants and not the shorts I had

on. When I returned and we got ready for breakfast, it

was raining hard. So, we spent the day looking around

and resting. I did purchase a new set of goggles and

a quick release kit. It turned out to be a very good

purchase. Most of this day was resting, reviewing the

map and planning the next dayʼs riding.

Wednesday morning dawned partly cloudy in the west,

but a beautiful sunrise gleamed off the snow-covered

peaks. I took some photos and talked to a man from

Kennit Missouri in the parking lot. After everyone got

up and we returned from breakfast, it was get on the

bikes and ride!

Our first destination was Mount Shavano. We rode

to just outside Salida and took the county road until

it turned into a 4-wheel drive trail. When this ended,

we double backed to a turn-off we saw earlier. When

this trail ended we took another turn-off. We stopped

on top of the 4-wheel drive trail and took a breather

(about 9500 feet in altitude). Here is where Darrel

repaired a sticking caliper. While he was working it

started snowing. Chuck stated that he would like to see

it come down hard. Well, he got his wish. It snowed

hard for about 20 minutes and we all really wanted it to

stop as the ground was getting covered. Also what was

melting was turning the ground very slippery.

With the offending caliper repaired, we rode down the

trail to CR 220. From this county road there were two

trails that are fairly long. We rode down Green Creek

trail until we could not ride any more. This trail was

just too narrow and rocky for our big bikes. Turning

around was a job for all of us. The trail was very tight

and required all three of us turned around each bike.

Once back on the main trail we rode until the end again.

What a pretty road! The aspens were yellow and the

leaves thick on the trees.

After this trail we headed back to the hotel. While

Chuck rested, Darrel and I rode back to Willow Creek.

It was a tougher trail, but we made good time. What

stopped us was the snow! The ground was covered and

we were finding it hard to pick up the ruts and rocks.

We turned around at a switchback and rode down to

a small beaver built pond. Here we took some more

photoʼs and relaxed a few minutes. When we were

getting ready to leave I discovered that my taillight,

which holds my license plate, was missing. So, I rode

up the trail again to find the missing taillight.

Twice I had to brush the snow off my goggles

to view the trail. By now the ground was

covered and the snow was very slippery.

Where it had melted it turned the ground very

slick. I was most of the way up the trail when

I noticed a flash of red. Stopping was no

problem but getting off and turning the bike

around was a trick. With the taillight securely

tied to the back of the bike, it was back down

the trail. As I was getting ready to mount up

for the ride down I noticed something in the

snow. It was a 4-wheel drive car coming up

the trail. He managed to get by and the return

to where Darrel waited was without further

incident. As we got to the lower elevations,

the snow turned into rain. By the time we were

back at the hotel, the roads were just wet.

After dinner we decided to visit the hot mineral springs.

It was a warm and refreshing visit. We also met a local

who provided information on some good riding. He

suggested a place called Aspen Ridge. We chatted for

over an hour and finally left, wrinkled and loosened


The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004 Page 11

The next morning I got up early and repaired the wiring

and remounted the tail light assembly. Everyone was

ready for breakfast, which gave me more time to look at

the map. Aspen

Ridge is north of

Salida in a pretty

open area. I also

took the helmet

camera today

for this ride.

After gearing

up we headed

out of town

and up into the

hills. Our first

stop was a ghost

town named

Turret. It was

an interesting

place with newer

buildings built

to resemble the

construction of

an earlier era.

We rode through both streets and then back on the

trail for Aspen Ridge. The Aspen groves were more

bare than Mondayʼs riding. The combination of the

wind, rain and cold weather appears to have just about

stripped the leaves off the trees. There were a few quite

beautiful groves that we rode through. This is also the

first time that I saw ATVʼs.

We rode with quite a few

this day.

Around 1 PM we stopped

at Buena Vista and had a

light lunch and got more

suggestions for good

places to ride. We then

took the county road out

to the old railroad tunnels.

The county road was

built on an old railroad bridge. The road goes through

several tunnels that were cut into the rock. It was pretty

interesting to ride through.

Next we turned up another county road that quickly

became a parking lot. There were lots of ATV trailers.

The 4-wheel drive trail had lots of ATV trails off it. We

Page 12 The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004

took one of these trails and it was not too bad to ride

through. It looped around nicely and aside from some

loose ground and tight turns, was very enjoyable. The

second ATV trail was a bit different.

I was in the lead and stopped after a drop in the trail.

The slope consisted of bare rock surrounded by loose

soil. Half way down it took a turn to the left and got a

bit steeper. At the bottom was a hard turn to the right.

Both Darrel and I looked this over and I finally said,

“Think we should walk the bike down this?” Darrel

said that he thought we could make it down by riding.

While he started down off the trail, I slowly eased the

GS down the trail. Very quickly the rear wheel was

skidding and coming around to my right. I thought this

was not so bad as I leaned the bike uphill and let it slide

down the hill. The only problem was I had to let off

the brake to steer the bike to the left. Once pointed in

the correct direction I again applied the rear brake and

the rear end again came around to my right. I had too

much speed so I eased in the front brake and leaned

more uphill.

I am now going down the hill at a fairly good speed,

faster than I liked, with both the front and rear wheels

sliding. As I neared the bottom, I let off the front

and rear brake to allow the rear end to come back

behind me. To my surprise, it still skidded. Now I am

beginning to worry about what kind of pile I will make

at the bottom, especially with Darrel behind me. Then

I remembered to pull in the clutch! The bike snapped

smartly into line and I was able to point it into a clear

area until I started the motor again. Before driving off I

was thinking I was glad to be down and I am not really

sure I could ride back out that way if I had to.

With the hill and I thought the worst behind us I

lead off again. Less than quarter of a mile later the

trail disappeared around a rock. As Darrel pulled up

beside me we looked at the rock ledge in front of us

and he said, “I canʼt ride up that.” It was now time to

get off and take a good look at the next portion of the

trail. It did not take us long to find out the trail took

a different direction. Thatʼs the good news. The bad

news is the trail was not going to get much easier.

After spending a few minutes in looking the lines

through the trail over Darrel decided to go first.

The trail had a hard turn to the right, while going

uphill over two rocks. The first rock was fairly

smooth, but had loose soil all over it. The second

rock was about 8 to 10 inches higher and to the left

of these rocks the trail dropped off. Darrel fired up

his KLR and off he went. He did very well until

his rear wheel hit the loose soil. The bike and

Darrel went down. Fortunately, neither was hurt.

I shut my bike off and helped Darrel get the KLR

onto the tires again. We let it sit a while before

starting it. As we were sitting a bit off the trail two

ATVʼs drove by. After they passed, Darrel started

the KLR up and between running the bikeʼs engine and

the two of us pushing, we managed to get his bike past

the hard spot in the trail.

Now my turn came. As I walked back to my bike I

almost slipped and fell on the rock. I had the brilliant

idea to brush all the loose soil off the rock. After this

was done I looked at how to ride through this turn again

and got on my GS. I really did not want to wait too long

to try to get past this spot.

I have the GS geared down somewhat, but not enough

to get past this type of obstacles. I just plain run out

of energy and the bike fell over, with me on it, against

a big rock on the right. I was surprised to not feel any

weight from the bike. I was lucky enough that the

handlebars and the back end rested against the rock

with enough room for me to fit in between. I was even

more amazed to look back and see the riders of the two

ATVʼs that had just drove through. Apparently they

decided not to attempt to go up the hill either. It did

not take long to get the GS up the tough spot in the trail

with four people. I gratefully thanked them and we

rode to the end of the trail. I then told Darrel, no more

ATV trails today!

Back on the 4-wheel drive trail we rode for several

miles. We came to another ATV parking area and

brought out the map. By now it was after 3 PM and we

wanted to get a good handle on where we were. One

person there showed us where we were and provided

information about the routes back to the road. We

decided to take the long trail and come out on the road

at Trout Creek pass. The distance was about 10 miles.

That may not sound like a lot, but on a 4-wheel drive

trail, it could take over an hour.

However, the decision was made and off we went. The

trail was actually very smooth for half the distance

and we made good time. Other parts took a lot of

concentration. We were pushing pretty hard, as we

wanted to get back on the road and back to the hotel

before dark. Also, we stopped once so Darrel could

replace a blown fuse that contained the circuit for his

headlight. At approximately 4:30 we rode out onto

highway 24 and headed west to highway 50. We turned

south on 50 and rode into Salida as the sun was setting.

What a day and what a trip!

Several things come to mind with this trip. Always have

at east one other person with you. There will be some

situations you cannot get your bike out of by yourself.

Next is get a good forestry map and get familiar with

it. Use your GPS if you have one. This can help you

make sure you will be back on a good road before the

sun goes down. Take the right clothes. Riding in the

snow would have not been fun if you were cold. We all

took the correct gear for the weather (which could be

sun or snow at that time of year).

Lastly, ride well and have fun! See you on the trails.

The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004 Page 13

And the Winner is...


Worldʼs Best Street Bike*

Cycle World (October)

And what did they say about the R1200GS?

Page 14 The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004

Best Open-Class Streetbike

Ten Best Bikes 2004

Cycle World (July)


Motorcycle of the Year

Motorcyclist (September)

“…the R1200GS tops it by being almost everything to everyone.” Cycle World

“… the GS has evolved into the only motorcycle that does what all motorcycles

used to do: Just about anything you want.” Motorcyclist

“…suddenly seem to make this the finest traveling tool youʼve ever ridden.”

Cycle World

* The R1200GS had to share top honors with the Yamaha FZ1.

K1200LT (2005) Best Touring Bike

Ten Best Bikes 2004

Cycle World (July)

“Add the smartest accessory ever fitted to a Luxo-

Tourer, a self-deploying centerstand, and just like

that, this year Americaʼs Best Touring Bike comes

by way of Bavaria.” Cycle World

Gateway Riders General Meeting: August 18, 2004

Pres. Marilyn Roberts called the meeting to order at

~7:40 PM

Secretary: June general meeting minutes read and


Treasurer: Ed Fusco absent – no official report but

adequate funds.

Membership: Pete Hayden introduced three

prospective members, Tony Orso, Kathleen Johnson

and Dave Armstrong. Tony and Kathleen were voted

in with all yeas, but Dave still needs to go on a ride.

Supplies: No Bill – no report. (heʼs on vacation)

Technical: Grif had no news to report, but was provided

information about sources for custom shocks and

brake accessories.

Events: Jeff reviewed upcoming scheduled events,

plus Bikers for babies – March of Dimes Illinois ride

on Sept. 12th and St. Louis ride on Oct. 10th. The June

pool party cost $5.32 per person.

Rally: Larry indicated that the pin design was

available for viewing on our website. He needs help

taking large items to the rally. A new vendor, Roadgear

will be providing a jacket as door prize, see website for

details. Porta-Potties were discussed, extra units are

$60 each but cost to clean out is unknown, so the Board

will make an executive decision in the near future. Pete

Hayden asked for permission to allow the two ladies

from the Potosi area historical society to get free passes

to the rally, motion passed without debate. One gallon

milk jugs (washed) are needed for prize tickets.

Newsletter: Art W. provided the printed Gazette.

Problems with the medium resolution online version

caused most to download the low resolution (which still

looks OK). Articles for publication suggest maximum

of 4 pages. Next issue Oct.

Webmaster: Art M. had no news.

BMWMOA: Ray Zimmerman indicated that about

6200 attended the Spokane national. There will be an

open house at the headquarters site on Sept 25th from

10 to 4. Food and beverages will be provided. Call

or look on website for details. St. Louis BMW helped

with funding.

AMA: Vintage days highlights included the BMW

Mobile-Traditions display plus the Vintage owners

club and the MOA information booth. Ray Z will try to

get the new BMW CD video premiered at the rally. Itʼs

about 1⁄2 hour long with some sensational riding in the

desert, dirt and on highways.

Continued on Page 19

Gateway Riders General Meeting: Sept. 15, 2004

Pres. Marilyn Roberts called the meeting to order at

~7:30 PM

Secretary: August general meeting minutes read &


Treasurer: Ed Fusco absent – Ed is traveling for work

and canʼt make meetings.

Membership: Pete Hayden absent & no prospective

members present. Dave Armstrong attended the ERC

course and was thereby eligible to be voted in – He was

voted in without objection

Supplies: Bill has stuff in saddlebags – just ask.

Technical: Grif reminded us about the winter

preparation day at Art Mesters in October.

Events: Jeff reviewed upcoming scheduled events,

St. Louis dealer to move Sunday, helpers should be

at old shop by 8:00 AM. Food & beverages provided.

Another sausage dinner ride for November.

Rally: Larry showed the pins (neat), no shirt transfers

– so no rally clothes, need volunteers to sign-up. Porta-

Potty situation solved by clean-outs on Saturday instead

of additional units. ($25/clean vs. $85 for unit)

Newsletter: Art W. needs articles for publication by

end of Sept., guideline is 4 pages, not limit. The next

“what is It” contest in October issue.

Webmaster: Art M. indicated that Gazette to be

available directly on site, plus “flash” is in-process.

BMWMOA: Ray Z., HQ open house Sat. 25th.

ERC class was successful and a Spring 05 course was

requested by many.

AMA: BMW on cover of Motorcyclist magazine and

two historic racers purchased at auction for BMW

museum and Mobile-Traditions collection. Justice for

All campaign discussed.

Old Business: Art W. brought club calendar photos to

be voted on, also go to our website ASAP.

New Business: Nominating committee chaired by Jeff

Ackerman plus Jim Shaw & Bill McCallister.

Ed Fusco will not run for Treasurer again.

Announcements: Beth Forrestal sent thank you card

to club. George Glascock has reserved camping area

near Flagler Beach for a lucky 3 going to Daytona

in spring of 05, but needs confirmations ASAP. Phil

Sulfstede suggested having a BBQ to celebrate the

clubʼs 30 years of Incorporation. Mae indicated that

past members, Logsdonʼs may move back to St. Louis

now that parents are deceased.

Adjourned at 8:10 PM

The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004 Page 15

What in the World was It?

Summer 2004 Gateway Gazette:

It was the foot-peg

mounting plate on my


Ed O. was the only

person to submit a

correct anserw.

Late Summer 2004 Gateway Gazette:

Page 16 The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004

If you see one of

the winners ask

them about there

great prize.

It was the soon to

be HQ for BMW

Motorcycles of St.


Ray Zimmerman

Marilyn Roberts

Sandee Lumpkin

Ed O.

... to Garmisch Continued from Page 7

back next year and would like to take any interested

club members with us.

Now a few complimentary words about the R1150RT.

Since Iʼm a returning rider from a 13 year absence the

K1200LT is all Iʼve known for the last year and a half.

For the most part it is a gentle giant that comports

itself down the road surprisingly well considering itʼs

substantial girth. The bike is a compromise between

touring comfort and backroad handling which is

biased heavily in favor of the interstate touring. In

contrast the R1150RT is more about having fun in the

twisties but still has room for two and a weekendʼs

worth of luggage. I was able to lean the bike much

harder through the numerous hairpin turns with more

control and confidence than I ever could with the LT.

The engine pulls strong from just off idle and ran well

throughout the wide range of altitude we encountered.

The sixth cog in the transmission was a welcome

attribute when cruising the autobahn at 140 KPH. The

bike felt like it would cruise happily all day at 200 if

called upon and itʼs rugged simplicity is very attractive

to me after eighteen months on the LT. The fairing

and adjustable windshield work quite well to keep the

comfort level high and the removable luggage is both

classy and handy.

So we loaded up our rented R1150RT and pointed it

toward Garmisch in search of fun and adventure. We

decided to take the scenic route and if we had time to hit

the rally on Friday night fine, if not, we would overnight

in Zirl and get off to a fresh start on Saturday morning.

As it turns out we had a ball riding the bike from

Luzern north to Zug and then due east, past Waldensee,

a lovely lake with the road all but hanging over the lake

and massive peaks thrusting skyward from the water

on the opposite shore. A quick dash to Leichtenstien

via the autobahn and then north to Feldkirch where we

jumped off the autobahn and hit the back roads through

the mountain passes all the way to Zirl. As it turns out

we arrived in Zirl around 8:45 and were pretty tired so

we elected to get a good nightʼs sleep and start off fresh

Saturday morning.

After an excellent hot breakfast at the hotel we guided

the bike through a beautiful mountain road towards

Garmisch. At first we would give a quick wave to the

two wheelers we encountered on the road but this soon

became impractical as bike after bike went by. As we

came into town it was plain to see that the town now

belonged to the BMW riders. I large sign beckoned

riders to the rally site at the edge of town at the base of a

large ski run. Manufacturerʼs tents, rally tents, vendors

galore and custom bikes and hacks filled the exhibition

area along with all the latest bikes and gear from BMW.

Test rides on all BMW models were available and the

food tent was incredible. Guided tours, historic bike

exhibits, travel presentations and bike maintenance

were all offered along with free camping (not a single

camp trailer… all tents), musical entertainment and a

roving reporter chatting with the many exhibitors all

broadcast onto large screen T.Vʼs strategically located

throughout the site. We ran into people from Desloge

Missouri of all places and had some nice chats with

fellow BMW enthusiasts from Australia, UK and

South Africa. Denise and I took a walk into the town

and enjoyed a coffee at an outdoor café at the busiest

intersection in town. We were treated to a steady parade

of two wheeled machinery.

After a very full day, Denise and I returned to Zirl

via the mountain pass again. This time our ride was

interrupted by two police motioning for us to slow down.

I thought that maybe the day would not be ending well

but I was wrong. The reason for the warning was that

the BMW parade ride was coming back into Garmisch

via the route that we chose to depart on. I pulled the

R1150 over and we sat there for well over 10 minutes

as thousands of BMWʼs rolled by. Itʼs indescribable to

witness 6 or 7 miles of BMWʼs making their way down

the highway and it put the perfect capper on an already

perfect day.

There were many additional activities that we did not

avail ourselves to. Live music, biker party, drawings

and contest, guided GS rides and tours. It would be

quite easy to spend the entire three days at the rally but

since we were on a rented bike and I had not scheduled a

day off on Monday we decided to head back on Sunday.

When departing Garmisch, even if youʼre riding alone

you are riding with someone. There are just that many

bikes. On the way back we got pretty lost, took some

great pictures and had a great time winding our way

through the mountain passes in Austria. Monday came

all too soon and the rented R1150RT was returned. The

K bike was actually suffering from an injector wire that

was not fully connected. Easily fixed, back on the road

and ready for next year.

The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004 Page 17








Page 18 The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004


Was recently spotted in central Illinois riding a black

BMW R1100RT. There was concern it was an imposter,

until the photographer heard him belt out a

incredible rendition of “Viva Las Vegas” while eating

a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

Start Planning Now!

2005 BMW MOA International

Rally Information

By Marilyn Roberts

The 2005 BMW MOA International Rally will be held

at the Allen County Fairgrounds in Lima, OH July 21-

24. Of course, if you take interstate highways to Lima

from here, it’s going to be boooooring riding. But

check this out... Rand McNally indicates scenic routes

up the Mississippi River to Wisconsin. Southwestern

Wisconsin has some great riding and from there you

can ride into Michigan’s Upper Peninsula (Eh!) and

cross the Mackinaw Bridge into Michigan’s mitten,

where you’ll find more scenic riding along Lake

Huron as you wind your way down to Lima. Or if

you’ve always wanted to take that ride around Lake

Superior, this would be the time to do it, then drop

down through Michigan to Lima. Or if you want

something different you could take the new, highspeed

Lake Express ferry (www.lake-express.com)

that crosses Lake Michigan from Milwaukee to

Muskegon, MI in only 2.5 hours.

Although I haven’t personally seen the rally grounds

I hear that the fairgrounds will make for a wonderful

rally site. Rally chair Sue Rihn-Manke plans to turn it

into “Beemerville” for the duration of the rally. If you

are camping, there will be plenty of shade trees.

If you want to motel it, here are some motels in the


Wingate - Located 3 miles away in “downtown.” It

is the nicest of all the hotels. Guaranteed rate is

$89+tax. Phone 419-228-7000.

Super 8 - Located just under the freeway about 1 mile

from the rally site. Rate is $69.95 + tax.

Phone 1-800-854-9518

Motel 6 - Has only about 20 rooms left (as of the end

of July 2004). Rate has not been determined, but

will probably be around $50. One mile from the site.

Phone 1-419-228-0456

Holiday Inn - Total of 150 rooms. About 1 mile from

the rally site. $79/night+tax. Phone 419-222-0004.

Comfort Suites - A short 3 minute ride up the freeway,

about 4 miles away from the rally site. $75/night (or

more - for fancier rooms). Phone 419-228-4251.

Best Value Inn - About 5 miles from the rally site, just

up the freeway. Rates $55/night; has lots of rooms.

Phone 1-800-352-2168.

August 18th minutes Continued from Page 15

Old Business: Ray Z. indicated that ERC course has

an opening for one student. Art W. talked about the

club calendar, both digital and analog photos should be

submitted soon so they may be voted on when placed

on our website.

New Business: A nominating committee will be

formed at the September general meeting.

Announcements: Diane Pueschel from BMW St.

Louis invited members to the new building site on

Sunday Aug. 29th at 2 PM. She described the new

building will allow all customer bikes to be kept inside

plus a special “Club” area with bulletin board. She also

made a promise to be customer friendly.

Adjourned at 8:31 PM

The Gateway Gazette Fall 2004 Page 19

The Stamp

goes Here.

In this Issue...

50,000 miles


The Road to Garmisch

Mary’s Peak

What in the World is it? The Contest!

If you think you know see page 5 for complete

rules. Dead-line: October 1st 2004.


Elvis sighting.

P.O. Box 11563

Clayton, MO 63105

From: Gateway Riders BMW Club

and much, much more.

More magazines by this user
Similar magazines