II. Berlin Program Calendar 2012/2013 - Bing Overseas Studies ...


II. Berlin Program Calendar 2012/2013 - Bing Overseas Studies ...

Berlin 2012-­‐‑13


Table of Contents















Helpful BOSP Contacts:

Tori Wilhelmsen Alyssa Poey

Orientation Coordinator Enrollment Services Coordinator

(visas, materials etc.) (applications, waitlist, etc.)

vwilhelmsen@stanford.edu apoey@stanford.edu


(650) 736-­‐-­‐-­‐2038 (650) 725-­‐-­‐-­‐6769

BOSP Fax Number: (650) 725-­‐-­‐-­‐7355 Website: http://bosp.stanford.edu/orientation

I. Berlin Program Contact Information


Pacelliallee 18-­‐-­‐-­‐20

14195 Berlin, Germany

Tel: (49) (30) 834 096 330

Fax: (49) (30) 834 096 340


Dr. Karen Kramer, Director

kramer@stanford.fu-­‐-­‐-­‐berlin.deTel: (49) (30) 834 096 333

Maria-­‐-­‐‐Elisabeth Biege, Associate Director

biege@stanford.fu-­‐-­‐-­‐berlin.deTel: (49) (30) 834 096 331

Georg Eppenstein, Hausmeister and Technology Assistant

eppenstein@stanford.fu-­‐-­‐-­‐berlin.deTel: (49) (30) 834 096 334

Dr. Wolf-­‐-­‐‐Dietrich Junghanns, Internship Program Coordinator

junghanns@stanford.fu-­‐-­‐-­‐berlin.deTel: (49) (30) 834 096 332

Edeltraut Krüger, Financial and Facilities Officer

krueger@stanford.fu-­‐-­‐-­‐berlin.de Tel: (49) (30) 834 096 337

Jutta Ley, Student Services Coordinator and Internship Assistant

ley@stanford.fu-­‐-­‐-­‐berlin.deTel: (49) (30) 834 096 338

Student Advisors

Molly Field

Angad Sigh



Faculty in Residence

Winter Quarter 2012/13

Orrin Robinson, German Studies


II. Berlin Program Calendar 2012/2013

Winter Quarter

Arrival Date: Thursday January 3

Orientation: Thursday – Monday January 3-­‐7

First Day of Classes: Monday January 7

Holidays: None

Last Day of Classes: Friday March 15

Final Examinations: Monday-­‐-­‐-­‐ Wednesday March 18-­‐20

Last Night of Residence: Wednesday March 20

Date of Departure: Thursday March 21

III. General Program Information

i) Arrival

You are responsible for making and paying for your own flight arrangements. BOSP recommends

that you book a round-­‐-­‐-­‐trip, not just a one-­‐-­‐-­‐way, reservation. Having a round-­‐-­‐-­‐trip ticket will help you

with immigration and visas. Immigration officials may require seeing some evidence that you are

leaving the country at the end of your stay.

You are required to arrive on or before the stated arrival date and depart on or after the stated

departure date. See above program calendar for those dates. In most cases it is not possible to make

special arrangements for other travel plans to arrive late or depart early.

Detailed arrival instructions for your program are located farther down in this

packet. Luggage and Packing

Always plan to pack lighter than what you think you will need. It is most often possible to purchase

items in abroad. Please check ahead of time how many pieces of luggage you are allowed to bring

and/or how many kilos or pounds of luggage will be transported free of charge by your airline. This

is especially important if you choose to travel around by plane either before arrival, or before

returning home. Within Europe, carriers often go by kilos (limit is 20 kilos), whereas

transcontinental flights usually allow a certain number of pieces. There may be extra charges for

excess kilos, and rates for this service tend to be high.

Travel and Transportation

Avoid very reduced airfares on risky airlines with little or no flexibility, reduced hostel/room costs

in unsafe conditions, credit card use while traveling (cloning, etc.), eating in unhygienic conditions,

all just to save a couple of dollars. This is particularly important when making reservations before

traveling with insufficient information. Many students arrive with horror stories of delayed or

cancelled flights, lost luggage, airport transfers and shady hostels when they ignore this advice.

Understanding local transportation is the responsibility of the student. Research the available

reliable transportation options and understand the limitations, such as when the last bus leaves for

the evening. Do not hitchhike or accept rides from strangers.

Because of the risks associated with driving under unfamiliar road conditions (including

signage and rules of the road), Stanford strongly advises against driving abroad.

For information on traffic-­‐-­‐-­‐related safety conditions in countries abroad, including bus safety

information in your host country, please consult the Association for Safe International Road Travel

at http://www.asirt.org/

Cell phones

All students must have cell phones that operate in their abroad locations. Most students purchase

these cell phones upon arrival. Newer U.S. mobile phones that can operate on any of the three

wireless frequencies in place worldwide are becoming more common in the US. However, global

roaming rates still remain quite high, so be sure to check with your phone company to learn all of

the rules before you go abroad.

ii) Before Departure

Communication and Privacy Policy

Remember that your family and friends would love to share in your overseas experience. Therefore

it is absolutely necessary that you create a regular communication plan before you go abroad! It

is a good idea to figure out a reliable method of communication (such as e-­‐-­‐-­‐mail, phone, or mail) with

your loved ones so that they can contact you easily. Host families will not allow their student to make

long distance calls from their family phone. Students in the past have used weekly emails, Skype or

even Facebook to update their friends and family about their whereabouts and their study abroad


BOSP complies with federal law regarding privacy of student’ records (The Family Educational

Rights and Privacy Act of 1974), which means that we communicate directly with you, the student,

and cannot discuss any details about your overseas experience with your parents without your

written consent. We are delighted that your parents are interested to share in your BOSP experience.

However, if they have questions or concerns, please have them share them with you and then you, as

the student, can contact us directly. To keep them informed, please refer them to the “Parents and

Family” section of the BOSP website located at:


Money Recommendations:

You should have more than one source of money while you are studying abroad. Bring at least a

major credit card and/or an ATM card. Make sure your credit cards and ATM cards are

activated for international use. Inform your bank of your itinerary, and in what countries and

cities you will be likely to access your accounts. Write down all of your credit card numbers and

keep these numbers separate from your cards. Leave a copy of the numbers (along with a copy

of your passport and any visas) with someone you trust and whom you can easily reach while

you are abroad. Savings accounts are very difficult to access from abroad. If possible, arrange

for web access to your bank accounts. Do not carry all of your cards and cash in the same wallet

and consider using a money belt or pouch to protect your valuables. Research the currency and

bank practices of the country such as what time banks close and what currency is accepted. Do

not exchange money with an individual on the street and do not provide complete credit card

information on-line or via fax.

IV. Immigration and Visa Matters—Germany

It is the responsibility of the student to understand the laws and immigration regulations

of the host country for their respective citizenships and to abide by all such laws and



A passport is a travel document that functions as an official form of identification and allows the

bearer to enter and leave most foreign countries. Every BOSP participant MUST have a signed

passport that is valid for at least 6 months after the scheduled RETURN date from the overseas

program. In some cases, such as for programs that require visas, the length of validity may be longer.

U.S. Citizens:

If you need to apply for a U.S. passport, please request expedited service to ensure that your passport

will arrive before the required materials deadline. To apply for or to renew a U.S. passport, go to

http://travel.state.gov/. Do not forget to make a photocopy of your passport before you depart and

leave it at home with family or friends in case your passport is lost or stolen overseas.

Non-­‐-­‐-­‐U.S. Citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents:

Please make sure that you notify the Orientation Coordinator in the BOSP office of your nationality

shortly after you are accepted to the Program. Visa applications for non-­‐-­‐-­‐U.S. citizens often involve

a processing time of up to three months; you may also need a visa for the country to which the

group will travel on the “Will Trip on European Expansion”.

All participating non-­‐-­‐-­‐US citizens who are studying at Stanford on a F-­‐-­‐-­‐1 or J-­‐-­‐-­‐1 status, need to

equest a “travel signature” on their DS-­‐-­‐-­‐2019 (formerly IAP-­‐-­‐-­‐66) or I-­‐-­‐-­‐20 from Bechtel International

Center before departure. You will be permitted to re-­‐-­‐‐enter the US on the same student status

only if you get this signature before you leave. For more information go to the Bechtel

International Center at Stanford University website:



A visa is an endorsement or stamp inserted by consular officials of a foreign country into a passport

that legally authorizes the bearer to visit, study, reside, or work in that foreign country for a

specified time period. For the purposes of the Bing Overseas Studies Program, the majority of visa

applications made by Stanford students are student visas.

U.S. Citizens:

BOSP Centers where a visa is SOMETIMES REQUIRED:

Berlin, Florence, Madrid, Paris, Cape Town

BOSP Centers where a visa is ALWAYS REQUIRED:

Australia, Beijing, Kyoto, Moscow

Non-­‐-­‐-­‐U.S. Citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents:

Depending on their nationality, non-­‐-­‐-­‐U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the United States are

normally required to apply for a visa for all of our overseas programs. With a typically longer

processing time of at least 6-­‐-­‐-­‐8 weeks, it is essential that non-­‐-­‐-­‐U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent

residents notify the Orientation Coordinator of their immigration status as early as possible in the

Orientation Quarter in order to facilitate the visa application process.

i) German Visa Regulations-­‐-­‐‐ FAQs

The following answers are not BOSP policies, they are immigration regulations. U.S. citizens

should consult the webpage on the US Dept. of State website specific to U.S. travel in Germany,


Who does NOT need a visa ?

U.S. citizens (and a few other nationalities—please consult the German Consulate website or

contact the Orientation Coordinator at BOSP) may travel to Germany (and the Schengen area) for

up to 90-­‐-­‐-­‐days without visa.

U.S. citizens have a visa waiver with the Schengen area (see appendix for Schengen Fact Sheet) that

allows you to travel in the Schengen area without a visa for 90 days in a 180-­‐-­‐-­‐day period. You

CANNOT overstay the 90 days. Our program is 78 days which means you can remain in the

Schengen area for a total of 12 additional days in the same 180-­‐-­‐-­‐day period without a visa. Any

travel beyond 90 days is at your own risk. You should know that you could be detained and fined at

passport control upon departing the Schengen area if you've overstayed the 90 days.

Only students participating in the Krupp Internship and those staying an additional quarter in Berlin

will get a “Permit to Stay” upon arrival in Berlin and will be able to stay in the Schengen area beyond

the 90 days.

Who needs a visa ?

Non-­‐-­‐-­‐US citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents need visas to enter Germany. They need to apply for

their visa for Germany far in advance. Please check with the BOSP Orientation Coordinator and the

German consulate. Please make sure to also apply for the appropriate visa for your group’s Will Field

Trip (these trips usually go to new EU member countries, and EU candidate countries – the BOSP

Orientation coordinator will be able to give you details.) Please know that you will need to apply for

two different visas, and that processing time will be involved – time during which you will not have

your passport.

I am planning to stay in Berlin for a second quarter of study, AND/ OR will participate in the

Krupp Internship Program later – what do I need to do?

To stay longer than 90 days for either a Krupp internship or second quarter in Berlin, you will

definitely need a visa.

1. If you are a U.S. citizen, you will be able to apply for a “Permit to Stay” in Berlin, soon after

your arrival. Berlin Center staff will assist you in the application process on site if you

intend to stay on for a subsequent quarter and/or participate in the Krupp Internship

Program. The Berlin staff WILL NOT assist students who are not participating in a second

quarter in Berlin or a Krupp internship apply for a “Permit to Stay.”

Please note that the application for a “Permit to Stay” requires that you provide a proof of

health insurance for the entire time span – from the beginning of your first quarter(s) of

study in Berlin all the way through the final day of your Krupp Internship (even if you will be

outside of Germany for a period in-­‐-­‐-­‐between). For example, if you will be studying in Berlin in

the Fall, but won’t start your internship until the Summer, your proof of health insurance

must cover Fall Quarter and extend over the entire time span including the summer of the

following year. The ID card issued by your health insurance provider will not be sufficient for

the “Permit to Stay” application process. A formal letter from your health insurance

provider is required. Please make sure to procure it early enough, i.e., before you leave


2. Non-­‐-­‐-­‐U.S. Citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents: Since you will need a visa to enter

Germany in the first place, make sure that you apply for a D (National) Student visa. A D

(National) Student visa will allow you to extend your stay in country to participate in a

Krupp internship. If you would like to do more than one quarter of the academic program in

Berlin, you would note that on your visa application. DO NOT INCLUDE THE DATES OF


Who obtains the visa?

You do. BOSP will issue the letter of enrollment needed for the visa application.

What kind of visa should I get?

You should apply for a D (National) Student visa in most cases, though in very few cases you can

apply for a C (Schengen) Student visa. If you are concerned about which visa you should apply for,

please contact the Orientation Coordinator.

How do I apply for the visa?

You make an appointment with the German consulate in San Francisco. You will need to take a

letter of enrollment (issued by BOSP Orientation Coordinator only if requested by the student)

and some other documentation as outlined in the consulate’s website.

How long does the visa process take?

It can take up to three months or longer to process, so please notify the Orientation Coordinator at

BOSP right away in order to get your letter of enrollment so that you can apply early.

German Consulate Phone (415) 353-­‐-­‐-­‐0303 (Visa Section)

1960 Jackson St. Fax (415) 353-­‐-­‐-­‐0340

(Visa/Passport) San Francisco, CA 94109 Website:


Visa regulations are subject to change at any time with no advance notice. You are

responsible for knowing and abiding by all current regulations.

V. Health Abroad

Health Insurance Coverage

As a participant in the Bing Overseas Studies Program, you are required to have medical insurance

that includes:

• International coverage for medical treatment for the entire duration of your program and

for all countries in which you intend to travel

• Medical evacuation

• Repatriation of remains

Coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation of remains pays for transport to your home

country in case of severe illness, injury, or death. The latter two clauses may not be part of your

regular policy, and may have to be purchased as a supplement. Students can fulfill the health

insurance requirement by purchasing one of the two choices of coverage listed below:

Cardinal Care Coverage

Students who are covered under Cardinal Care will sufficiently satisfy the three categories of

coverage listed above.

Coverage begins on September 1st. Every student will be enrolled automatically in this plan for the

full year unless waived via Axess.

For more information go to http://vaden.stanford.edu/insurance.html

Insurance Office Location: Vaden Health Center, 866 Campus Drive

Office Hours: Mon-­‐-­‐-­‐Fri, 9:00am to 1:00pm and 2:00pm to 5:00pm

Private Health Insurance Coverage

Students who are covered under a private health insurance plan must make sure that they satisfy

the three categories of coverage listed above.

In most cases, private health insurance only satisfies the first category, “International Coverage for

Medical Treatment.” In order to satisfy the other two categories, “medical evacuation” and

“repatriation of remains,” a BOSP participant can purchase an International Student Identity Card

(benefits outlined below) or supplemental insurance of your choice that covers the last two


The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) can be purchased online or at the Overseas Resource

Center in Bechtel (cost: approximately $24). The ISIC card provides some very basic travel insurance

in addition to student discounts on plane tickets, museums, and other amenities. The following

benefits and services are included with your ISIC card.

Please see: https://www.myisic.com/MyISIC/Travel/Main.aspx?MenuID=5004 for more

information about these following benefits and services.

a. $300,000 Emergency Evacuation

b. $25,000 Repatriation of Remains

c. $25,000 Accident Medical Expense

d. $5,000 Accidental Death & Dismemberment – Air

e. $1,000 Accidental Death & Dismemberment – All Other

f. $500 Lost Document Replacement (includes your ISIC card)

g. $165 Per day Sickness & Hospital Benefit (up to 61 days)

h. $100 Baggage Delay

i. $100 Travel Delay (domestic ONLY)

j. Included – Travel Guard Assistance

During the Program

It is important to know that all medical expenses abroad are paid out of pocket by the student.

Please consider how you would access funds to pay for such expenses.

If at any time you need to seek medical care during the program you should contact the program staff.

The staff in the program center will provide you with information about local medical facilities during

onsite orientation.

If you are in need of medical assistance, let your program staff know as soon as possible. The

conditions of overseas medical facilities and how health care is afforded often have marked

differences from U.S. practice. The concept of when expert attention and medical intervention is

warranted may be different than in the United States. If you need a doctor’s attention while you are

traveling away from the campus overseas, you may ask for a “western style” hospital in order to

eceive western-­‐-­‐-­‐style care.

Non-­‐-­‐-­‐emergency visit: If you need to be seen for a non-­‐-­‐-­‐emergency visit, you should contact the

program staff first who can refer you to a local medical facility. If you are on Cardinal Care you must

coordinate care with On Call International, the travel insurance provider. If you are privately

covered, go to your appointment, save all receipts and contact your insurance provider about

reimbursement. In most cases, the cost for a non-­‐-­‐-­‐emergency visit will be less than your deductible

and therefore not reimbursable.

Medical emergency: Students on Cardinal Care must contact On Call International to coordinate

care. Claims for services not arranged by On Call International will NOT be accepted or reimbursed.

Students with private insurance should coordinate emergency care with International SOS.

It is the student’s responsibility to know the terms of their insurance policy and understand the

claim procedure and reimbursement process.

Health Planning and Risks

Health Issues

Students on international programs should be aware that attitudes toward medical

conditions, disabilities, and psychological conditions vary by culture and under the laws of the host

countries. These differences impact the level of treatment and accommodation available abroad.

Students should give serious consideration to their health and personal circumstances when

accepting a place in a program.

Because Stanford wants you to enjoy a successful and rewarding study abroad experience, we

encourage you to disclose your medical conditions and or accommodation requests at the time of

acceptance and no later than the Required Materials deadline (the third Friday of the quarter). The

information you provide is considered confidential and will be shared only with those individuals

who will need to know. If you choose not to request an accommodation, Stanford will not be able to

provide you with arrangements after the start of the program.

Stanford will work to assure reasonable accommodations for students with documented disabilities

(e.g. physical, learning, psychiatric, visual or hearing conditions). If you presently require such

arrangements, please let us know so that we can work towards making suitable arrangements while

you are abroad. Students with medical conditions should consult with their families and personal

physicians for ways to manage their conditions while overseas.

Physical and Psychological Considerations

Studying abroad can be stressful. Mild physical or psychological disorders that may be under

control at home can become serious under the additional stresses of adjusting to a new culture. If

you have a physical or psychological concern that requires constant treatment or surveillance by a

doctor, you should consult with your physician about the prospect of studying abroad and the

consequences of cultural adjustment and different medical practices. If you are concerned about

these issues, you are welcome to speak with the BOSP Residence Dean, Arcadio Morales. He can be

reached at arcadio@stanford.edu and at (650)-­‐-­‐-­‐723-­‐-­‐-­‐3297.

If you have had psychological difficulties currently or in the past, talk with someone at Counseling

and Psychological Services (CAPS) at Vaden Health Center before deciding to study abroad.

Consultation with CAPS is confidential, unless you specifically ask that Overseas Studies be alerted.

You can reach CAPS 24-­‐-­‐-­‐hours a day at (650) 723-­‐-­‐-­‐3785. Finally, please notify the on-­‐-­‐-­‐site program

director or staff of any illness/medical condition so that they are informed and can help you in case

of an emergency.

Thinking About Alcohol and Drugs Abroad

As soon as you leave the United States you are subject to the laws of the country you are traveling to.

Alcohol and other drug laws will vary depending on where you study abroad. Some countries are

stricter than others when it comes to public intoxication and drug use. The best resources for finding

out local laws and policies will be your local program staff, the American Embassy/Consulate in your

host country, and the US Department of State Travel website. Check out this site for specific

information about laws for the country you will be visiting:


As you know, even though you’re not on the farm, you’re still expected to uphold the Fundamental

Standard, the Honor Code AND the Student Alcohol Policy at all times while you are away. As Stanford

students, you are always representing Stanford University no matter where you go.

Top things to consider when drinking alcohol abroad

• Consider how laws regarding alcohol and other drug use vary by country and are often times

more severe than in the US.

• Alcohol concentrations might be stronger in some countries. For example, one beer made in

Belgium might have a stronger effect on you than the same brand of beer made in the US.

• Keep in mind that students are representing Stanford University while abroad and the purpose

of this experience is to provide students with a rich learning environment.

Whether you choose to drink or not, it is important that you stay safe and look out for one another. At

Stanford we have a culture of taking care of one another. It is important to continue that culture at

each of our abroad programs. Be sure to stick together and don’t be afraid to say something to your

friend or the local program staff if your friend is engaging in harmful behavior.


Fill all your prescriptions before you leave and make sure you bring a sufficient supply to last during

your time overseas, along with a doctor’s note or the original prescription to avoid problems with

customs. Discuss this in advance with your doctor and insurance provider before you go. You cannot

have prescription medications mailed to you overseas. Be sure to take a copy of the full prescription

drug name (preferably generic, if possible) with you in your hand luggage in case your medication is


stolen, or expires.

*See the website of the embassy for your program location for common prescriptions that are

banned from your program location. *


Make an appointment early in your Orientation Quarter with the on-­‐-­‐-­‐campus Vaden Health Center

Travel Clinic at (650) 498-­‐-­‐-­‐2336 ext. 1 or your personal doctor to discuss any health concerns you

may have before going abroad. Plan to do this early, because you may choose to have immunizations

that need to be administered several weeks before you leave in order to be effective. Depending on

the vaccinations administered, costs for Cardinal Care students range from $0-­‐-­‐-­‐$260. If you are not

covered under Cardinal Care and wish to have a vaccination done at the Vaden Health Center, add on

approximately $30 for each scheduled vaccination cost. You should ask for “International Certificates

of Vaccination” (yellow pamphlet). They may also be ordered by calling the CDC at 202.512.1800.

Keep this with your passport while overseas to show what vaccinations you have had and leave with

your family at home.

If you are traveling from your BOSP destination to another international location be aware of local

health conditions abroad. You should be especially aware of any public health service

recommendations or advisories. For current health conditions and recommended vaccinations

contact the country desk at the State Department (202.647.4000), or the Centers for Disease Control

at http://www.cdc.gov/. Some countries may require an AIDS test before letting you enter. Please

check into this before you arrive at the airport because they will turn you away if you do not have the

necessary documentation.

*It is your responsibility to obtain the proper vaccinations. *

Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)

Lack of adequate protection in situations where you could contract a sexually transmitted

disease can lead to serious complications. If you think that you may have contracted an STD, see

a doctor recommended by your program. Do not put this visit off because you are unsure or

because you are embarrassed; the doctor has treated such problems before.


If you intend to be sexually active overseas, please bring your own supply of contraceptives.

Condoms, diaphragms, and other contraceptive devices may be difficult to obtain overseas. The

program staff and/or local doctor can assist you in finding appropriate information. Any

discussion with the staff will be confidential.

Medic Alert

If you have specific allergies which are debilitating or life-­‐-­‐-­‐threatening, or have a medical condition

that is not immediately apparent or easily identifiable (such as diabetes, allergies to drugs, epilepsy,

etc.), wear a Medic Alert bracelet obtained from the Medic Alert Foundation, 2323 Colorado Ave.,

Turlock, CA 95382-­‐-­‐-­‐

2018; (800) 432-­‐-­‐-­‐5378 or http://www.medicalert.org. Notify the director of your program, the

office administrator, and friends traveling with you.

***Internship Participants: All students who participate in the Krupp Internship Program will need

to provide a proof of coverage letter to secure a permit to stay and internship permit. Students on

private insurance must contact their provider and request a letter that states they are covered

internationally for the time span they spend abroad.

VI. Safety and Security Abroad

General Information

The BOSP staff are familiar with Stanford University’s safety and security policies. In addition, they

keep a close watch on the situation in their specific location. Their knowledge of locale and long

experience in hosting Stanford students overseas make them an excellent source of advice on

behaviors you may want to avoid and situations in which you should be careful. Do not hesitate to

call on them for information.

In general, keep the following guidance in mind:

• Do not walk in unfamiliar areas of the city at night or accept rides from strangers.

• Be careful with money in public.

• The less you stand out the safer you will be.

• Never leave your bags or any personal belongings unattended. If anything is lost or

stolen report it to the local police. It is also necessary to report the loss of travelers

check to the nearest issuing office and passports to both the local police and then to

the consulate to apply for a new one

• Be sure your program director knows where you will be traveling and when, in case

you must be contacted.

The US State Department’s website (see links below) is a resource for information on issues related to

US citizens traveling internationally.

In compliance with Stanford’s International Travel Policy, BOSP will not send undergraduate

students to countries for which the State Department has issued a Travel Warning. This

applies to program locations as well as to field trip destinations.

Worldwide Assistance & Emergency Evacuation Services

All Stanford students on BOSP programs will be covered by International SOS Worldwide Assistance

& Emergency Evacuation Services. The services provided by International SOS range from telephone

advice and referrals to full-­‐-­‐-­‐scale evacuation by private air ambulance for medical necessity. This

coverage does not provide health and medical coverage overseas. You remain responsible for

ensuring that you have such coverage in the countries and for the duration of your travels.

In case of emergency, International SOS information can be found at:


Further information about ISOS and Stanford University is available at:


Please be aware that some of ISOS’s services carry additional charges. Should you request a service

which has an additional charge, ISOS will inform you in advance and will require a credit card

number in order to activate the service. If, in the event of an emergency, Stanford provides the

financial guarantee to ISOS on your behalf, the University will bill you for this charge upon receipt of

the actual amount by ISOS. Please know that such charges may not be billed until after you return

from the trip abroad.

Cultural Issues and Perception

Don’t assume you know and understand the local culture. Try to learn about your host culture’s

values, customs, popular culture, etc. as much as possible. Most people will experience some

difficulties adjusting to their new country and culture. This is totally normal, and should be expected.

Cultural adjustment comes in stages and people react differently to the changes. Try to look at things

from their perspective. For every behavior you don’t understand, try to figure out what its

underlying value is.

Sexual Harassment

Cultural difference in interactions on romantic or sexual levels can be a problem area: some

behaviors might be very inappropriate in the US, but considered perfectly acceptable in the culture in

which you are living, and vice-­‐-­‐-­‐versa. Sexual harassment is a particularly difficult area because of the

extreme variance in acceptable behavior between cultures. In some cultures it is difficult or

impossible for non-­‐-­‐-­‐sexual relationships to exist between men and women. Until one is fully aware of

the cultural norms combined with the verbal and non-­‐-­‐-­‐verbal clues that he or she is sending, one

must be very mindful of the emotions and expectations that are evolving. You are encouraged to

contact center staff to report any behaviors that you feel are sexually harassing. They will assist you

in resolving the situation in a culturally appropriate way.

Compliance with Laws

When you are in a foreign country you are subject to its laws and not protected by U.S. laws.

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. It is important that you learn about local laws and

regulations and obey them. You are responsible for obeying all host countries’ laws and

regulations, which can be both different and stricter than in the United States. Do not assume that

you will be treated gently because you are an American.

If you become involved in a legal problem, please contact center staff immediately. Please note,

however, that it is unlikely that BOSP can intervene on your behalf if you are arrested for an illegal


Do not use illegal drugs while you are abroad. Most countries have very strict drug laws and

enforcement can result in prison sentences and even the death penalty. If you attend a party at

which others are using drugs, leave immediately. If you are arrested for drugs, the US consular

officer cannot get you released from jail.


Upon your return you may have trouble re-­‐-­‐-­‐assimilating into American culture and campus life.

Students may have difficulty readjusting to the schedule on campus or life at home. The challenging

period of re-­‐entry is inevitable and even the best prepared will have some adjustment issues.

Adjustment is a process which already starts abroad as you are planning your return; by getting

prepared for your trip back home (buying gifts for the ones you leave behind and for those back

home), and by thoughtfully and realistically getting adjusted to the different life you will have to

expect upon your return, you may take the process of “saying goodbye” and “hello” as a valuable

part of your abroad experience. Take the time to adjust and remember how you adapted when you

were abroad.

Emergency Situations

All programs arrange a “telephone tree” so that any urgent messages from the director can reach

all students. You will receive a copy of an emergency card, which includes phone numbers of the

program location and staff members. Emergency procedures will be explained to you during

onsite orientation.

If your physical safety is threatened and you have not been able to reach your director or the local

police in your host country, call the Stanford Operator, (650) 723-­‐-­‐-­‐2300, and they will connect you to

the appropriate University office.

Useful Websites:

U.S. Department of State Websites:

Bureau of Consular Affairs— http://travel.state.gov/

Travel Tips for Students:


Travel with Disabilities: Mobility International: http://www.miusa.org/

Students Abroad: Disabilities:


LGBT Travel:

Students Abroad: For GBLT Travelers:


International Lesbian and Gay Association:


NAFSA Rainbow SIG Student Resources http://www.indiana.edu/~overseas/lesbigay/student.htm

Women’s Travel:

Students Abroad: For Women Travelers:


Advice for the Woman Traveler


Register Your Trip

If you are a U.S. citizen going abroad, you should register your trip with the U.S. Department of State



Keep a printout of this registration with you overseas.

BOSP Participation Agreement, Fundamental Standard, and Honor Code

In signing the BOSP contract, you agreed to uphold the Fundamental Standard and Honor Code while

abroad. A copy of these documents is included in the Appendix for your reference.

VII. Specific Program Information

i) Berlin Program Academics

Program Objectives:

The academic objective of the Berlin Program is to offer students an in-­‐-­‐-­‐depth perspective into

the historical and contemporary dynamics of this ever-­‐-­‐-­‐changing city.

The Berlin Program’s Krupp Internship Program (full-­‐-­‐-­‐time, paid internships during any quarter

following a quarter of study in the Berlin Program) aims to give students access to a rich

international experience, contributing to future career goals, language development, and an

enhanced understanding of the world.

Courses and Course Credit Information:

For information about courses and course credit, students should consult this section of the

program’s website for further details:


Course Syllabi and Other Course Details

Students can find available course syllabi after enrollment opens on the following website:


For other details on the courses for this quarter, please email the center staff directly.

Research & Internship Opportunities:

The Program encourages students to stay for more than one quarter, and offers mentored

internships and research opportunities to students intending to spend more than one

quarter in Berlin. Please consult this section of the program website:


and the Berlin Program website:


ii) Arrival in Berlin

As soon as you have your flight or train information, please let the housing coordinator,

Edeltraut Krueger, know about your arrival date and time: krueger@stanford.fu-­‐-­‐-­‐berlin.de

On the "Day of Arrival" the center opens at 9 a.m. You are expected to arrive no later than 2

p.m. on the arrival date. Please come directly to the Center with your luggage, to meet staff,

and receive Orientation materials. Arrangements for transfer to your home stay will be made.

Contact your family at home immediately upon arrival to let them know you have arrived


For your pre-­‐-­‐-­‐arrival preparation, we recommend the “Distributed Campus” portal. You will

find Berlin Program-­‐-­‐-­‐specific materials prepared by the Stanford Center´s staff, and general

resource materials about living and studying in Berlin prepared by the Freie Universität. Please

fill in the registration form available under http://www.distributed-­‐-­‐-­‐campus.organd choose

“Stanford Berlin” at “Study Abroad Program”, and a wealth of information will become

available to you.

Getting to the Stanford Center in Berlin

Best resource: the Berlin Public Transportation Authority’s (BVG) website:

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/index.html -­‐-­‐-­‐ detailed information available in English.

An “Einzelfahrschein” (single ticket) will be valid for 2 hours and includes transfers, on any

means of public transportation (bus, tram, S-­‐-­‐-­‐Bahn, U-­‐-­‐-­‐Bahn) , going in one direction.

Closest U-­‐-­‐-­‐Bahn (subway) station to the Stanford Center: Podbielskiallee, on U-­‐-­‐-­‐Bahn line 3

(directions: Krumme Lanke/Nollendorfplatz). As you exit at U-­‐-­‐-­‐Podbielskiallee, turn left into

“Im Dol”, walk about 5 minutes, until you hit the traffic light, then turn to the right onto

Pacelliallee. Entrance to the Stanford Center is through a white door on your right.

With luggage, it may be easier to come by taxi or by bus, since it is a shorter walk to the

Stanford Center from the bus station than from the U-­‐-­‐-­‐Bahn station. Therefore, the following

instructions concentrate on bus connections.

From Flughafen Berlin Tegel (TXL)

Tegel Airport will be operating throughout 2012. The new Airport in Schoenefeld will only open

in mid-­‐2013, so you will still be landing at Tegel Airport, which is located approximately 7 miles

northwest of Berlin. Taxis are available and cost 15+ euros to reach central Berlin. There is also a

JetExpressBus “TXL” which takes you downtown – to connect to bus 110, you get off at U-­‐

Adenauerplatz (U-­‐7) and take bus 110 heading to OSKAR-­‐HELENE-­‐HEIM. The Center is located at

stop “IM DOL”. When you get off the bus, just walk a few steps back and cross the street at the

junction. The entrance to the Center is a white wooden door on Pacelliallee, house ‘ 18-­‐20).

From the main train station, Berlin-­‐-­‐‐Hauptbahnhof

Option 1) Cab will cost about EUR 25.00 – please get a receipt (“Quittung”), since the Center

will reimburse you for one arrival taxi ride, either for the cab from the airport to the Center,

OR for the cab from the Center to your home stay.

Option 2) Public transportation: Buy a “single ticket” (Einzelfahrschein) at the BVG public

transportation window and take any S-­‐-­‐-­‐Bahn going West from “Hauptbahnhof” to the station

“Zoologischer Garten” Get off the S-­‐-­‐-­‐Bahn here, and find the BVG bus stations in front of the train

station. Take Bus 110 going in direction “Oskar Helene Heim”. Then please follow instructions

given above.

If you should arrive at either Schönefeld airport, or any of the other train stations, take

any S-­‐-­‐-­‐Bahn going to Bahnhof Zoo (Zoologischer Garten) and then take the bus as described


Temporary Housing

If you arrive before the scheduled day of arrival and seek temporary accommodation (or any

other type of information about Berlin), please consult http://www.Berlin.de for information

on hotels, bed-­‐-­‐-­‐and-­‐-­‐-­‐breakfasts, youth hostels, guesthouses and private hostels. Private hostels

are particularly popular with students and anyone traveling on a budget.

As an exception, it may be possible to move into your housing a day or two earlier. If you

would like to see whether there is a chance that this can be worked out with your home stay

host, please contact the housing coordinator, Frau Edeltraut Krueger, well ahead of time.

Hotel close to the Stanford Center

Hotel am Wilden Eber,

Warnemünder Str. 19

14199 Berlin Tel. ++49-­‐-­‐-­‐30-­‐-­‐-­‐897-­‐-­‐-­‐77990, Fax ++49-­‐-­‐-­‐30-­‐-­‐-­‐


iii) Living in Berlin


The Berlin Center arranges home stays for all students. Most of these are with individuals,

rather than with traditional families. Housing is provided from the official Day of Arrival until

and including the Last Day of Residence, as listed in the Program Calendar.

Some Berliners have been hosting Stanford students for over 15 years and some will be hosting

students for the first time the quarter you come to Berlin. Hosts are found mostly via word-­‐-­‐-­‐of-­‐-­‐-­‐

mouth and private recommendations. We carefully screen all prospective hosts and try very

hard to match you with the host that seems to suit best the preferences indicated in your online

orientation form. A successful home stay depends a lot on good and frequent communication

with your host and with the Housing Coordinator, Edeltraut Krüger -­‐-­‐-­‐ especially during the first

couple of weeks. Frau Krüger is here to assist you, and to act as a mediator between students

and hosts. Our group of hosts is composed of:

• Single parent, child or children

• Single person (male, female)

• Couple, no children

• Couple with child(ren)


Berlin is a conglomerate of many different urban centers with their own complete

infrastructure, i.e. townhalls, weekly markets, shopping areas, recreation centers, movie

theaters, etc. Geographically speaking, most of our hosts live in central areas of Berlin. Some

live closer to the Stanford Center, i.e. in the vicinity of the Freie Universitaet. All areas have

public transportation access. You will be commuting and need to budget time for this (up to 50

minutes). Upon arrival, you will receive a public transportation pass for the first month of stay,

and funds to purchase two further monthly passes. This pass will enable you to commute from

your home stay to the Stanford Center, and it allows unlimited use of all public transportation

in Berlin.


Each student will have a single room. Just as each one of our hosts is unique, so are their

homes, and so are students´ rooms. While there is a wide variety of home stays which differ

significantly from one another, all of our hosts must meet a strict set of standards and are

carefully and closely monitored and mentored.

Sharing a home

Both you and your host are likely to lead very busy lives, and your hosts understand that you

may not be able to spend a lot of time at home. Living in a metropolis means being “on the go”.

We do our best to ensure Internet access at all home stays. Meals are not included – you will

be responsible for your own meals, and will receive “Essensgeld” (meal money) to cover

breakfast, lunch and dinner. Laundry should be done at the Center (free of charge), rather

than at the home stay.

Basic home stay guidelines (same for all home stays and students) are displayed in each

student room. Please read them carefully and ask your host for clarification if needed.

Additionally, your host may have his or her own set of expectations. Recycling and energy

conservation play a big role in German homes. It goes without saying that one should always

behave in a courteous and respectful manner and remember that one is a guest in someone

else’s home, and that assumptions and customs may differ from those one is accustomed to.

Linens, Towels and Personal Items

Both linens and towels are provided in the homestay. There is no need to bring either with you.

Keep in mind that the voltage level is 220V, so small appliances (hairdryers, alarm clocks, etc)

that do not have an attached converter will not work there. Those items can be bought in



You will be required to open a local student bank account; your "Essensgeld" (meal money) for

the entire quarter will be deposited at the beginning of the quarter onto that account.

Essensgeld (meal money) is calculated at 14.00 per day, with the Day of Arrival and the Last

Day of Residence counting as half-­‐-­‐-­‐days. Students sometimes cook simple meals at the Center,

but it is recommended to eat lunch at the Freie Universitaet Student Union, only three bus

stops away; a good place to meet local students. -­‐-­‐-­‐ A variety of fast food places can be found in

nearby Dahlem-­‐-­‐-­‐Dorf. The downtown restaurant scene is as diverse as the city itself, and

restaurant or “Imbiss” (fast food) meals are quite affordable.

Student Jobs

A limited amount of part-­‐-­‐-­‐time work is available: a) Assistant to the Language Partner

Program and b) Hashing Manager for the student kitchen. Preference given to students on

Fianancial Aid. If interested, please apply to Maria Biege upon arrival in Berlin


Digital Library Resources

All of Stanford University’s digital library resources are available to you while you are at the

overseas campus. These resources include e-­‐-­‐-­‐journals, e-­‐-­‐-­‐books, and digital image collections.

These e-­‐-­‐-­‐resources can be searched from:


Center cluster computers should be already set up to access these resources. For personal

computers, please read on for directions below.

Off-­‐-­‐-­‐campus Access to Stanford Library's Online Databases and Journals

To use restricted databases and journals from computers outside the Stanford network, you

must connect through Stanford's authenticated proxy server. The proxy server stands between

your computer and a remote server, providing an Internet address that the server recognizes

as part of the Stanford domain and sending remote data back to your browser.

Please use the following instructions for off campus access should you want to

configure Firefox (Mac/PC) or Internet Explorer (PC) on your personal laptops if you

have not already done so: http://library.stanford.edu/apcproxy/.

Once you have configured your web browser, you can access online databases and journals from


Stanford libraries website, http://library.stanford.edu.


Monthly public transportation student passes are subsidized by 100%. A ticket for the first

month, and funds for purchasing two additional passes for the ensuing months, will be

disbursed at the beginning of the quarter. Transportation related to required course-­‐-­‐-­‐related

activities outside Berlin, and transportation to Krupp internship interviews, are also covered

entirely by the Program.

Cultural Activities

Any cultural activities that are an integral part of courses are free of charge to students enrolled

in these courses. “Committed auditors” who are not enrolled in the course, but commit to take

part in all course-­‐-­‐-­‐planned events/performances throughout the quarter, will receive a ticket

subsidy. – The Berlin Program Culture Subsidy is available to encourage everyone to take

advantage of Berlin´s rich High Culture offerings; subsidy options will be described on site.

Most cultural institutions in Berlin offer student reductions; an international student I.D. (ISIC)

is required.

There will be a modest co-­‐-­‐-­‐payment toward the purchase of tickets for donor-­‐-­‐-­‐sponsored Bing

Cultural Events (2.50 € for each of two events), and a modest contribution to any non-­‐-­‐-­‐class-­‐-­‐-­‐

related overnight field trips organized by the Center, such as the Will Field Trip which takes

students to member or candidate states of the European Union each quarter. If this presents a

financial hardship, an additional subsidy may be possible, if agreed upon by the Director.

Textbooks and Readers

Students in the Accelerated Beginning German Courses: please bring the appropriate German

language textbook and workbook along with you. The specific textbook and workbook are

listed on the course syllabus. For other courses, books and readers will generally be available

in Berlin. A limited number of textbooks for E40 and 50W will be on Reserve. At the end of the

quarter, during “Financial Checkout”, you will be billed for books and course materials

(copying and permission costs for readers, etc.) received during the quarter.


Any package received in Berlin from abroad with a declared value of above 40 Euros is

automatically subject to customs fees (which need to be paid by the recipient, i.e., YOU). This

is true even if the goods contained already belong to the recipient, or are used. The monetary

value declared by the sender on the package is what counts. Therefore, we strongly

recommend that you inform friends and family, or anyone likely to send a package during your

stay, that they will save you a lot of trouble and expense by only sending packages with a

declared value below 40 Euros.

Personal Expenses

Personal expenses are your responsibility and include books and related course materials, and

photocopies. Personal expenses also include extra clothing, cultural activities, photography,

dry cleaning, optional travel, cell-­‐-­‐-­‐phones and long-­‐-­‐-­‐distance phone charges. Especially these

latter items make it difficult to estimate a fixed amount that you will need to cover the personal

expenses of one quarter on

an overseas studies program.

The figures below are meant to give you an idea of what certain items cost in Germany. You

need to try and estimate yourself, how often you will purchase any one of these items. Good

sources of advice on this matter are the student advisors who have recently returned from your



Price per unit in Euro (EUR)

Mail a postcard home (Airmail) 0.75

A letter (Airmail) 20 grams 0.75

A local phone call 0.20

A 10 minute call to USA Pre-­‐-­‐‐paid card: 0.30-­‐-­‐‐0.50


Taxi from airport/train station to center 25.00

Train fare for a weekend 50.00 -­‐-­‐‐ 200.00

Public Transport within city (one month pass) 72.00

Transportation to nearest major city 50.00

Youth hostel accommodation 25.00


Museum admission as individual 10.00

Concert admission 20.00

Theater admission 20.00

Movie admission 9.00

Dinner, inexpensive 10.00

Dinner, expensive 35.00

Night club entrance fee


Athletic facility fee

80-­‐-­‐‐90 Euros for membership in





Personal Items


Sweater 50.00

Shoes 70.00

Umbrella 5.00

Raincoat 120.00

Shampoo 3.00

Haircut 10.00

Sandwich at café 3.50

Cup of coffee 3.00

Beer at bar/pub 3.00

Snacks between meals 3.00

Bottle of water/soda 1.50

The Appendix now follows:

i. 2012/13 BOSP Participation Agreement

ii. The Fundamental Standard

iii. The Honor Code

iv. The Student Alcohol Policy

v. The Schengen Fact Sheet

vi. CDC Travelers’ Handout-­‐-­‐-­‐Germany

viii. Fellowships and Grants Handout

2012-­‐2013 BOSP Participation Agreement

This agreement applies to students who are studying abroad.

All students must sign the Bing Overseas Studies Program (“BOSP") Participation and Assumption of Risk,

Release of Claims, Indemnification and Hold Harmless Agreement (“BOSP Agreement”) as part of their

application. The parties to this agreement are the student (“Participant”),Participant’s parents or legal

guardian if Participant is under 18 years of age (all referred to hereafter jointly and severally as “Participant”)

and the Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University, its officers, trustees, faculty, agents,

representatives, volunteers, students and employees (collectively referred to hereafter as “Stanford”).

Participant enters into this agreement in consideration for being permitted to voluntarily participate in a Bing

Overseas Studies Program, seminar, internship, Consortium Program or activity that involves travel or

residency off the Stanford University campus (“Program”). Please read the contract carefully so that you fully

understand before signing. If you have any questions regarding the agreement you can email us at


The BOSP Agreement contains important information about the obligations and responsibilities you assume

when you are accepted to or waitlisted for a Bing Overseas Studies Program. For your application to be

complete, you or your parent or guardian if you are under the age of 18 must sign this online agreement

below, indicating that you have read and understand this agreement and agree to abide by all its terms and


If accepted or waitlisted to a Bing Overseas Studies Program. I agree to all of the following terms and

conditions. I understand that if my circumstances change and I am no longer able to meet the obligations and

responsibilities described in this the BOSP Agreement, I must notify the Bing Overseas Studies Program

immediately and that, as a result, I may be required to withdraw from the program and to pay late

withdrawal penalties.

1. Standards: I will uphold and abide by all Stanford policies, rules, and regulations, including but not limited

to Stanford's Honor Code, Fundamental Standard, and Code of Conduct. I understand that any perceived

violations of the above policies may give rise to a complaint being filed with the Judicial Affairs Office for

possible investigation. I also understand and agree to abide by the policies of collaborating institutions (if

any). I promise to act responsibly and will become informed of, and will abide by, all such laws, regulations,

policies and standards. I agree that Stanford has the right to enforce all standards of conduct described above.

I also understand that I am subject to the laws and immigration regulations of the host country and agree to

abide by all such laws and regulations. I am responsible for completing all the necessary steps to obtain a visa

(if required) in a timely manner and am responsible for associated costs and for complying with the term of

the visa. I understand that I am fully responsible for the visa process and Stanford University cannot

guarantee that the appropriate visa will be issued to me. It is further understood that in the event of arrest

Stanford University has no obligation to provide legal assistance and, based on local laws and practices, any

assistance Stanford University may elect to provide may be limited. I understand that my acceptance into the

program may be withdrawn or I may be dismissed from the program for reasons including, but not limited to,

if 1) I violate University policy, 2) I present a substantial risk of harm to self or others or engage in actions

endangering to others or myself, 3) my conduct is considered to be disruptive, detrimental or incompatible

with the best interest and welfare of the program; 4). I am unable to participate meaningfully in education

activities; and/or (5) I require a level of care from BOSP that exceeds the resources and staffing that BOSP can

be expected to provide. I further agree, if dismissed from the program, to be responsible for all costs incurred

in returning to the United States or my country of origin.

2. Eligibility: I also understand that I am not eligible to participate in any Bing Overseas Studies Program

while a freshman (44 or fewer academic units, less than one year in residence) or if I am on provisional

registration or on University suspension for any reason. If I am on probation, my participation requires the

approval of a professional advisor at Undergraduate Advising and Research (UAR), a Residence Dean, and the

Bing Overseas Studies Program. I am ineligible to participate in an Overseas Seminar if I have previously

participated in an Overseas Seminar.

3. Participation Requirements: I will complete and pass the minimum language or academic prerequisite

prior to the first day of the quarter in an overseas program or the arrival date for an Overseas Seminar,

Special Program, and/or Consortium Program. I will be in good academic standing prior to the first day of the

start of my overseas program. I understand that if I cannot meet these prerequisites I must immediately

notify the Bing Overseas Studies Program. I understand that if I fail to provide timely notice or at the sole

discretion of the Bing Overseas Studies Program after providing timely notice I may be involuntarily

withdrawn from the program and subject to late withdrawal penalties. I will attend all scheduled BOSP

orientation sessions (or scheduled make-­‐up sessions). I will submit all required materials by the deadline

established by the Bing Overseas Studies Program. I understand that if I fail to attend a scheduled orientation

session or fail to submit all required materials to BOSP by the established deadline, I must immediately notify

the Bing Overseas Studies Program. I understand that if I fail to provide timely notice or at the sole discretion

of the Bing Overseas Studies Program after providing timely notice I may be involuntarily withdrawn from

the program and subject to applicable late withdrawal penalties.

If participating in the Krupp Internship Program, I declare that I commit to completing an internship in

Germany and that I will not apply concurrently for other internships in the United States or elsewhere.

I attest that I am physically and mentally capable of participating in the Program and living or traveling

outside of the United States and have no known health restrictions that might jeopardize my safety or health

or the safety or health of others during their participation in the Program.

4. Academic Requirements: I will enroll in and will complete a minimum of 12 units of coursework from

courses offered by the Program each quarter, including the appropriate language coursework where

relevant. I will enroll in and complete all predetermined required courses offered by the Program during the

quarter; in Australia, this includes all five courses, 16 units, in the set curriculum. I will be responsible for the

costs of any instruction outside of the normal framework of the Program.

If participating in an Overseas Seminar, I will enroll in any required prerequisite course(s), enroll in the

seminar and will complete 2 units of coursework, as determined by the Seminar Leader. I will be responsible

for the costs of any instruction outside of the normal framework of my seminar.

If participating in a Special Program, I will enroll in any required prerequisite course(s), enroll in the program

and will complete the required units of coursework, as determined by the Program Leader. I will be

responsible for the costs of any instruction outside of the normal framework of my program.

5. Insurance: I agree to obtain and maintain in effect for the full duration of my Bing Overseas Studies

Program (and, if asked, provide proof in documentation acceptable to Stanford University) Stanford Cardinal

Care (student health insurance) or health insurance coverage equal to or greater than that offered by the

Stanford Cardinal Care plan. Said coverage shall, at a minimum, include coverage for medical care and

treatment outside the United States and coverage for both medical evacuation and repatriation of remains. I

will be solely responsible for payment-­‐in-­‐full of all costs for medical care I may receive overseas and/or for

medical evacuation and/or repatriation of remains and waive any right to hold Stanford University and its

agents and employees responsible for any such costs.

6. Medical Emergency Authorization: I understand and agree that if, during participation in the Program,

Stanford learns that I am experiencing serious health problems, have suffered an injury, or an otherwise in a

situation that raises significant health and safety concerns, Stanford may contact the person whose name I

have provided as an “emergency contact.” I hereby give permission for Stanford or its representative to

provide immediate and reasonable emergency care should it be required.

7. Tuition, Housing, and Fees:

Bing Overseas Studies Programs (quarter-­‐length programs):

For each quarter I am enrolled in a full quarter Bing Overseas Studies Program, I will pay regular,

undergraduate Stanford tuition and the Overseas Fee (room, board, and program costs) by the Stanford

home-­‐campus payment deadline. BOSP will make arrangements for my housing for the duration of the

program, from the scheduled arrival date through the last day of residence for each quarter of my program

and will provide for approximately 19 meals per week, either as meals or as a meal stipend. It shall be the

sole discretion of BOSP whether I am provided with meals or a stipend, and the amount of the stipend, if any. I

am responsible for meals and lodging costs at all other times including inter-­‐quarter breaks. I am fully

responsible for all incidental costs incurred while participating in a BOSP program, including but not limited

to airfare to and from the program location.

Overseas Seminars:

For participation in an Overseas Seminar, I will pay the published Overseas Seminar Fee, or arrange to have it

covered in part or in full with funds provided by the Financial Aid Office. While attending an Overseas

Seminar, BOSP will make arrangements for my housing from the scheduled arrival date through the last day

of the seminar, and will provide for approximately 19 meals per week, either as meals or as a stipend. It shall

be the sole discretion of BOSP whether I am provided with meals or a stipend, and the amount of the stipend,

if any. I am responsible for meals and lodging costs at all other times. I am fully responsible for all incidental

costs incurred while participating in an Overseas Seminar, including but not limited to airfare to and from the

program location.

Special Programs:

For participation in the Special Program, I will pay the published Special Program Fee, or arrange to have it

covered in part or in full with funds provided by the Financial Aid Office. While attending a Special Program,

BOSP will make arrangements for my housing from the scheduled arrival date through the last day of the

program, and will provide for predetermined number of meals per week, either as meals or as a stipend. It

shall be the sole discretion of BOSP whether I am provided with meals or a stipend, and the amount of the

stipend, if any. I am responsible for all incidental costs incurred while participating in a Special Program,

including but not limited to airfare to and from the program location.

Consortium Programs:

For participation in a Consortium Program, I will pay regular, undergraduate Stanford tuition and program

fees stipulated by the Consortium Program by the Stanford home-­‐campus payment deadline and/or the

payment deadline established by the respective Consortium Program, whichever is earlier. I am fully

responsible for all incidental costs incurred while participating in a Consortium Program, including but not

limited to airfare to and from the program location.

8. Arrival and Departure: I will arrive at the designated overseas site no later than the designated arrival

date specified by BOSP unless I have advance, written permission from the Program Director to arrive at a

later time. Such requests should be made no later than sixty (60) days prior to the designated arrival date. I

will depart the designated overseas site no earlier than the last day of residence specified by BOSP unless I

have advance, written permission from the Program Director to depart at an earlier time. I understand that

Stanford University, the Bing Overseas Studies Program, and the overseas program staff assume no

responsibility for knowing my whereabouts at any time. If participating in an Overseas Seminar, I will arrive

at the seminar site no later than the designated start date and stay until the designated seminar end date.

9. Assumption of Risk: I expressly understand and agree that the Program presents risks to me and my

property and that Stanford cannot guarantee my safety. I understand and agree that the Program activities

may be dangerous and may involve risks to personal safety and physical risks which can range from (but are

not limited to): minor injuries such as scratches, bruises, and sprains to catastrophic injuries, including

paralysis and death. I understand and agree that the Program involves international travel and may involve

unfamiliar or different terrain, customs, climate, food and drink, laws, social and sexual mores, sports

practices, rules and regulations, communications, criminal and law enforcement activities, disability access,

driving practices and road conditions, premises conditions and/or maintenance. Risks may also include:

disease, inadequate health care, natural disasters, acts of God, war, civil unrest, terrorism, kidnapping and

assault, physical violence, verbal abuse, sexual abuse, short and/or long term disability, loss of income and/or

career and earning opportunities.

I am responsible for researching and evaluating the risks I may face and am responsible for my actions. Any

activities that I may take part in, whether as a component of the Program or separate from it, will be

considered to have been undertaken with my approval and understanding of any and all risks involved. This

includes, but is not limited to, risks associated with the consumption of alcoholic beverages and/or drugs or

other intoxicants, property loss, injury to person or property, or death arising out of traffic accidents, assault,

and theft or other activities. I acknowledge that I have reviewed the advisories posted by The United States

Department of State currently located at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_1168.html and

by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control health advisory at http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/.

I acknowledge that it is my responsibility to take every precaution to safeguard my health and personal

belongings from damage or theft. I acknowledge that Stanford recommends that I never travel alone,

particularly at night.

It is Participant’s intention that this assumption of all risks shall be legally binding and a complete bar

to Participant, Participant’s heirs, personal representatives, relatives and assigns. This assumption of

risk applies to all activities arising out of, associated with or resulting directly or indirectly from

Participant’s participation in the Program and residing and traveling outside of the United States,

including but not limited to those risks listed above.

I further recognize, understand and agree that Stanford does not assume responsibility for any liability as

regards damage or injury that may be caused by my negligence or willful acts committed prior to, during or

after participation in the Program, or any liability, damage or injury caused by others, including other

participants. I agree that Stanford shall not be subject to claims or suit to be made by or on behalf of me or my

heirs, representatives or assigns as a consequence of my participation in the Program.

10. Release of Claims: In consideration of being accepted into and/or participating in the Program, I agree

for myself and on behalf of my heirs, executors, administrators, employers, agents, representatives, insurers,

and attorneys, to release and discharge Stanford of and from any and all claims which may arise from any

cause whatsoever, including any negligent act or omission by Stanford or others. I further release and

discharge Stanford from liability for any accident, illness, injury, loss or damage to personal property, or any

other consequences arising or resulting directly or indirectly from my participation in the Program. I

acknowledge and agree that Stanford assumes no responsibility for any liability, damage, or injury that may

be caused by my negligent or intentional acts or omissions committed prior to, during, or after participation

in the Program, or for any liability, damage, or injury caused by the intentional or negligent acts or omissions

of others, including other participants.

I intends that both the assumption of risk and the release of claims be complete defenses to any and all

actions, claims or demands that I, my heirs or legal representatives have or may have for injuries to person or

property, including death, as a result of activities for which the I have assumed risks and/or released and/or

waived claims.

11. Indemnification and Hold Harmless: I hereby agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Stanford

from any injury, loss or liability whatsoever including reasonable attorneys' fees and/or any other associated

costs, from any action, claim, or demand that I, my heirs or legal representatives, have or may have for any

and all personal injuries I may suffer or sustain, regardless of cause or fault as a result of, arising out of,

associated with, or resulting directly or indirectly from my voluntary participation in or decision to

participate in the Program, travel to and from the Program and any and all related activities. I will be

responsible for all damages, losses, and/or charges for extra services in my room. I will further be

responsible for all damages, losses, and/or charges to any that are caused or contributed to by me to common

areas and grounds of my housing and my Center. I understand that Stanford University, the Bing Overseas

Studies Program, the onsite overseas program staff, seminar/program leaders, internship host organizations,

and/or Consortium Programs assume no responsibility and do not provide insurance or other financial

protection for me, my guests, or any personal property. This indemnification and hold harmless

agreement is intended to be all encompassing.

12. Activities Outside the Program: I acknowledge that should I choose enter or remain in a foreign country

before or after participation in the Program, Stanford will not be acting as a sponsor for me during this time.

Should I withdraw from the Program voluntarily or involuntarily, Stanford will cease to act as my sponsor

thereafter. In the event of either of the foregoing, this agreement shall remain in full force and effect.

13. Change of Status: Once I have been accepted to a particular program for the specified quarter(s), and

have agreed to enroll in the program for those quarters, I understand that the conditions and penalties shown

below apply if I change my status and/or if I fail to meet the prerequisites and/or participation requirements

outlined above. I will provide the Bing Overseas Studies Program with written notice of any change in my

status and understand that an email sent by me by the deadlines listed below and acknowledged by Overseas

Studies will be considered sufficient notice. Deferral of admission is not permitted under any

circumstances. Withdrawing from a quarter or the first quarter of a multiple-­‐quarter stay will result

in withdrawal from all subsequent quarters and I must reapply for admission. BOSP may waive fees

only under extreme, unforeseen, and/or extenuating circumstances.

14. Withdrawal Policy: I understand that if I notify the Bing Overseas Studies Program prior to the end of

the business day on May 31 (for Autumn Quarter programs), October 31 (for Winter Quarter programs), or

February 15 (for Spring Quarter programs), I will not be penalized. If I give notification between June 1 and

July 31 (for Autumn Quarter programs), November 1 and November 30 (for Winter Quarter programs), and

February 16 and March 15 (for Spring Quarter programs), I will be charged 25% of the Overseas Fee. If I give

notification on or after August 1 and prior to the first day of classes for the program I am participating in

abroad (for Autumn Quarter programs), on or after December 1 and prior to the first day of classes for the

program I am participating in abroad (for Winter Quarter programs), or on or after March 16 and the first day

of classes for the program I am participating in abroad (for Spring Quarter programs), I will be charged 50%

of the Overseas Fee. If I give notification on or after the first day of classes for the program I am participating

in abroad, I will be charged 100% of the Overseas Fee. Please note the Kyoto, Krupp Internship Program, Asia

Internships, Overseas Seminars, Special Program, and Consortium Program withdrawal policies below.

For the Overseas Seminars, the following withdrawal policy applies: I understand that if I notify the Bing

Overseas Studies Program prior to the end of the business day on April 15, I will not be penalized. If I give

notification on or after April 16, I will be charged 100% of the Seminar Fee.

For Special Programs, the following withdrawal policy applies: I understand that if I notify the Bing Overseas

Studies Program prior to the end of the day on March 15, I will not be penalized. If I give notification on or

after March 16, I will be charged 100% of the Special Program Fee.

For the Krupp Internship Program in Germany, the following withdrawal policy applies: I understand that if I

notify the Krupp Internship Coordinator after formal application but prior to formal placement (for whatever

reason), I will be charged a fee of $200. If I withdraw after formal placement as determined by the Krupp

Internship Coordinator, I will be charged a fee of $400.

For Consortium Programs, the following withdrawal policy applies: I understand that if I notify the Bing

Overseas Studies Program prior to the end of the day on March 15 for Autumn Semester or October 15 for

Spring Semester, I will not be penalized. If I give notification on or after March 16 for Autumn Semester or

October 16 for Spring Semester, I will be charged a fee of $400 in addition to any nonrefundable payments

made directly or indirectly to the Consortium Program and/or tuition payments made to Stanford based on

the Stanford campus tuition refund schedule established by the Office of the University Registrar.

PLEASE NOTE: These deadlines are based on the academic calendar of the home campus. Stanford

University's regular tuition refund policy applies in all cases.

I grant permission to BOSP to release only my name and email address to other Stanford students accepted or

waitlisted to the same program(s) to which I am applying. If I do not want my name and email address

released, I understand that I must contact bospstudy@lists.stanford.edu to withdraw my consent within a

week of my acceptance.

Registration as a student and attendance at or participation in classes and other campus and University

activities constitutes an agreement by the student to the University's use and distribution (both now and in

the future) of the student's image or voice in photographs, video or audio capture, or electronic reproductions

of such classes and other campus and University activities.

If any student in a class where such photographing or recording is to take place does not wish to have his or

her image or voice so used, the student should raise the matter in advance with the instructor.

I hereby grant Stanford University permission to use my name, photographic and/or videographic image of

myself and photographic and/or videographic images of my work product (research posters, final

presentations, speaking engagements), if applicable, provided or captured as part of The Office of the Vice

Provost for Undergraduate Education (VPUE) programs, or by VPUE, in any way, in all media now known or

later invented for any educational or publicity purposes. I understand that Stanford intends to make

information about or images of me available on the Internet for public access and information, and I hereby

grant permission for such publication and use. I further grant permission to the photographer /videographer

who captures any such image/footage described above to include the photograph or video in a portfolio (in

any form in any media) of the photographer's/videographer's work.

I release Stanford and Stanford's assigns and licensees from any claims that may arise regarding such

specified use of my image and/or biographic information, including any claims of defamation, invasion of

privacy, rights of publicity or copyright. Stanford is permitted, although not obligated, to include my name as

a credit in connection with the image. Further, I understand and agree that Stanford is not obligated to utilize

any of the rights granted in this Agreement.

I understand that any academic projects produced while participating in a Bing Overseas Studies Program

may be used for publicity purposes and/or as a resource for prospective students.

I understand that by submitting an application, Stanford accepting the application and my confirming a space

if admitted or waitlisted I am expressly agreeing to the above terms. I further understand that my

participation in the program is contingent upon acceptance of the above terms and that Stanford’s agreement

to allow me to participate in the program is in reliance on my acceptance of the above terms.

15. Program Modification and Cancellation: Stanford reserves the right to cancel or modify the Program

before or during its operation for any reason, including natural disasters, emergencies, low enrollment, or

unavailability of facilities or personnel or compliance with the University travel policy at


16. Severability: It is understood and agreed that, if any provision of this agreement or the application

thereof is held invalid, the invalidity shall not affect other provisions or applications of this agreement which

can be given effect without the invalid provisions or applications. To this end, the provisions of this

agreement are declared severable.

17. Governing Law and Venue: This agreement shall be construed in accordance with, and governed by, the

laws of the State of California. The venue for any action arising out of this Agreement shall be the County of

Santa Clara, State of California. The parties agree to submit to jurisdiction in Santa Clara County, California.

18. Construction and Scope of Agreement: The language of all parts of this agreement shall in all cases be

construed as a whole, according to its fair meaning, and not strictly for or against any party. This agreement is

the only, sole, entire, and complete agreement of the parties relating in any way to the subject matter hereof.

No statements, promises, or representations have been made by any party to any other, or relied upon, and

no consideration has been offered or promised, other than as may be expressly provided herein. This

Participation and Assumption of Risk, Release of Claims, Indemnification, and Hold Harmless Agreement

supersedes any earlier written or oral understandings or agreements between the parties.

Participant acknowledges that he/she has read this Participation, Assumption of Risk, Release of

Claims, Indemnification and Hold Harmless Agreement, understands its meaning and effect, and

agrees to be bound by its terms.

The Fundamental Standard http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/print/4182

Published on Student Affairs (http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu)

The Fundamental Standard

What the Fundamental Standard Is

The Fundamental Standard has set the standard of conduct for students at Stanford since 1896. It states:

Students at Stanford are expected to show both within and without the University such respect for order,

morality, personal honor and the rights of others as is demanded of good citizens. Failure to do this will be

sufficient cause for removal from the University.

Violations of the Fundamental Standard

Over the years, the Fundamental Standard has been applied to a great variety of situations. Actions that have been found

to be in violation of it include:

Physical Assault

Property damage; attempts to damage University property

Theft, including theft of University property such as street signs, furniture, and library books

Forgery, such as signing an instructorʼs signature to a grade change card

Sexual harassment or other sexual misconduct

Charging computer time or long distance telephone calls to unauthorized accounts

Misrepresentation in seeking financial aid, University housing, discount computer purchases, or other University


Misuse of University computer equipment or e-mail

Driving on campus while under the influence of alcohol or drugs [1] [1.1.1]

Sending threatening and obscene messages to another student via e-mail, phone or voice-mail

Penalties for Violating the Fundamental Standard

There is no standard penalty that applies to violations of the Fundamental Standard. Infractions have led to penalties

ranging from formal warning and community service to expulsion. In each case, the nature and seriousness of the

offense, the motivation underlying the offense and precedent in similar cases are considered.

Judicial Affairs [2]

Copyright ©2012 Stanford University. Terms of Use | Copyright Complaints | Report a Problem with this site.

Source URL (retrieved on Aug 16 2012 - 10:03am): http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/judicialaffairs/policy/fundamental-standard


[1] http://www.stanford.edu/dept/vpsa/judicialaffairs/students/dui.rationale.htm

[2] http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/category/owner/judicial-affairs

1 of 1 8/16/12 10:04 AM

Honor Code http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/print/4185

Published on Student Affairs (http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu)

Honor Code

What the Honor Code Is

The Honor Code is the University's statement on academic integrity written by students in 1921. It articulates University

expectations of students and faculty in establishing and maintaining the highest standards in academic work.

Honor Code Text

1. The Honor Code is an undertaking of the students, individually and collectively:

1. that they will not give or receive aid in examinations; that they will not give or receive unpermitted aid in class

work, in the preparation of reports, or in any other work that is to be used by the instructor as the basis of


2. that they will do their share and take an active part in seeing to it that others as well as themselves uphold the

spirit and letter of the Honor Code.

2. The faculty on its part manifests its confidence in the honor of its students by refraining from proctoring

examinations and from taking unusual and unreasonable precautions to prevent the forms of dishonesty mentioned

above. The faculty will also avoid, as far as practicable, academic procedures that create temptations to violate the

Honor Code.

3. While the faculty alone has the right and obligation to set academic requirements, the students and faculty will work

together to establish optimal conditions for honorable academic work.

Violations of the Honor Code

Examples of conduct that have been regarded as being in violation of the Honor Code include:

Copying from anotherʼs examination paper or allowing another to copy from oneʼs own paper

Unpermitted collaboration

Plagiarism [1]

Revising and resubmitting a quiz or exam for regrading, without the instructorʼs knowledge and consent

Giving or receiving unpermitted aid on a take-home examination

Representing as oneʼs own work the work of another

Giving or receiving aid on an academic assignment under circumstances in which a reasonable person should have

known that such aid was not permitted

Penalties for Violating the Honor Code

In recent years, most student disciplinary cases have involved Honor Code violations; of these, the most frequent arise

when a student submits anotherʼs work as his or her own, or gives or receives unpermitted aid. The standard penalty for

a first offense includes a one-quarter suspension from the University and 40 hours of community service. In addition,

most faculty members issue a "No Pass" or "No Credit" for the course in which the violation occurred. The standard

penalty for multiple violations (e.g. cheating more than once in the same course) is a three-quarter suspension and 40 or

more hours of community service.

Back to top

Judicial Affairs [2]

Copyright ©2012 Stanford University. Terms of Use | Copyright Complaints | Report a Problem with this site.

Source URL (retrieved on Aug 16 2012 - 10:05am): http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/judicialaffairs/policy/honor-code


[1] http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/judicialaffairs/integrity/plagiarism

[2] http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/category/owner/judicial-affairs

1 of 1 8/16/12 10:05 AM


This document clarifies the University’s expectations and approach related to the use of alcohol

by students.


The Fundamental Standard has set the standard of conduct for students at Stanford since

1896. It states: “Students at Stanford are expected to show both within and without the

University such respect for order, morality, personal honor and the rights of others as is

demanded of good citizens.” Implicit in the Standard is the understanding that students are

responsible for making their own decisions and accepting the consequences of those decisions.

The University is committed to the health, safety and well-­‐being of each member of the

Stanford community. In order to further student learning, development and success and to

promote the University’s academic mission, Stanford fosters an environment of personal and

collective responsibility and respectful citizenship. This means that all members of the

university community—students, faculty and staff—have a role in safeguarding a healthy

learning environment free of the consequences of alcohol misuse. The University also strives to

create a culture that supports students who do not use alcohol and students who use alcohol in

a safe, legal and responsible fashion.

Legal Background

Members of the Stanford community are expected to abide by all federal, state and local laws,

including those governing alcohol consumption and distribution. Under California law, it is

illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to purchase alcohol or to possess alcohol in a public

space. It is also illegal for anyone to furnish alcohol to an individual under the age of 21. Other

state laws governing the use of alcohol are listed below.

While it is not the responsibility of most Stanford officials to enforce state law, it is the

responsibility of the University’s Department of Public Safety, and accordingly they enforce all

state alcohol laws when they encounter violations. All community members should understand

the law and, as individuals, ensure that they themselves do not violate it.

In addition, it is the responsibility of all community members to ensure that the University does

not, through their actions, violate the law. Accordingly, official University functions, including

events held by registered student groups, are not allowed to provide alcohol to those under 21,

and no University funds may be used to purchase alcohol for that purpose. Violations of this

requirement can result in both criminal prosecution and University administrative action,

including dismissal from the University.

Responsible Alcohol Use

Stanford students are expected to behave responsibly, both in the classroom and outside, both

on campus and off. In particular, the University does not tolerate reckless drinking—lawful or

unlawful—and its consequent harmful behaviors. The University is especially concerned about

the misuse of distilled alcohol products (“hard alcohol”), and the dangers that arise from that


All students should understand the physical and behavioral effects of alcohol misuse, and

should avoid such misuse themselves. In addition, they are expected to do their part to ensure

the safety of fellow students whom they perceive to be engaged in reckless drinking behavior

or to be suffering from its consequences.

The University provides educational resources to assure that students understand the effects of

alcohol misuse and know how to respond when they perceive others to be engaged in

dangerous behavior.

Reckless drinking and encouraging reckless drinking are violations of University policy, and may

be subject to disciplinary action. Extreme or repeated violations may result in dismissal from

the University.

More generally, students are expected to make healthy, responsible choices concerning their

personal use of alcohol and the University supports them in this endeavor through education

and other resources. The University sponsors activities and programs focused on students who

choose not to drink or to drink lightly, as well as resources and services to assist students who

need help for themselves or others related to alcohol use.

Authority, Application and Enforcement

Responsibility for application of the Student Alcohol Policy resides with the Vice Provost for

Student Affairs. The Office of Alcohol Policy and Education reports to the Vice Provost for

Student Affairs and is expected to coordinate and implement alcohol programs. (The

Stanford University |August 2011 2

University’s Controlled Substances and Alcohol Policy is also applicable. The full text is

contained at: http://adminguide.stanford.edu/23_6.pdf).

The Stanford University Department of Public Safety enforces federal, state and local laws

among students, other community members, guests and visitors.

Alcohol Policy Violations

The Office of Alcohol Policy and Education will work with the following offices to address

violations of the University’s alcohol policy as determined by the specifics of each situation.

• The Office of Residential Education for undergraduate students, residential groups,

fraternities and sororities

• Graduate Life Office (GLO) for graduate students

• Student Activities and Leadership (SAL) for voluntary student organizations

• Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (DAPER) for student

athletes and athletic groups

• Such other offices as are appropriate under particular circumstances

Violations may be referred to the Office of Judicial Affairs (for individual students) and

the Organization Conduct Board (for student groups). The Dean of Student Life may take action

as well in certain circumstances.

Getting Help: Resources Available to Students

Students have access to a variety of University resources.

Additional University Regulations

• Students living in University residences sign a residence agreement that outlines

housing policies and expectations for conduct. Violations of the residence agreement

can lead to loss of housing. [http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/shs/res_agree.htm]

• All parties must be registered with the University, and availability of alcohol is regulated

by party planning guidelines coordinated by the Office of Alcohol Policy & Education


Other restrictions apply to particular circumstances

• Frosh Housing -­‐ Alcoholic beverages are prohibited at all-­‐frosh house events in common

area spaces.

• University Funds and the Purchase of Alcohol -­‐ No University funds or funds collected by

the University may be used in a way that violates the alcohol policy. In student

Stanford University |August 2011 3

esidences, house funds (funds collected by Student Financial Services or other

University offices) may not be used to buy alcohol. Any decision to use student-­‐collected

funds to buy alcohol must be made lawfully, thoughtfully, fairly and in a way that

respects the views of all students. Students must not be required to contribute to the

purchase of alcohol.

• Dining Halls – Students may not possess or consume alcoholic beverages in Stanford

Dining Halls during meal times and food service. University Dining staff can deny

admission, access or meal service to anyone who is believed to be intoxicated by the

Dining Management staff.

• White Plaza -­‐ Alcoholic beverages in White Plaza are prohibited.

• End of Quarter Period and Finals Week -­‐ No registered parties (with or without alcohol)

can occur during the End of the Quarter Period (dead week) or Finals Week.

• Athletic Facilities -­‐ No alcohol is permitted inside Stanford athletic facilities public spaces

during athletic events.

• Stanford Conferences and University Facilities -­‐ The University requires that event

sponsors and student groups wishing to offer alcoholic beverages at their programs and

events operate within state and local laws as provided by the Department of Alcohol

and Beverage Control (ABC). Alcohol service is not allowed in classrooms.

• Admit Weekend -­‐ Stanford students are prohibited from providing, serving or in anyway

making alcohol available to any prospective frosh (ProFro). All student

groups/organizations and residences may host only alcohol-­‐free parties or events during

Admit Weekend. This specifically means that no alcohol is to be present, served or

consumed at any student group/organization and/or dorm function during Admit


• New Student Orientation (NSO) Period -­‐ At no time should any Stanford student provide,

serve or in any way make alcohol available to any new, incoming undergraduate student

(freshman or transfer). All undergraduate student groups/organizations and residences

will host only alcohol-­‐free parties or events during Orientation. This specifically means

that no alcohol is to be present, served, or consumed at any student group/organization

and/or dorm function during NSO.

California State Laws

Students should be familiar with California laws governing the consumption of alcohol. The

following summarizes those laws most relevant to individuals.

o It is illegal for persons under the age of 21 to possess an alcoholic beverage in

any public place or any place open to the public (CA Business and Professions

Code 25662).

o Any person who furnishes gives or sells any alcoholic beverage to someone

under the age of 21 is guilty of a misdemeanor (CA Business and Professions

Code 25658(a)).

Stanford University |August 2011 4

o Any person under the age of 21 who attempts to purchase an alcoholic beverage

is guilty of an infraction (CA Business and Professions Code 25658.5).

o Any person under the influence of alcohol in a public place and unable to

exercise care for one’s own safety or that of others is guilty of a misdemeanor

(CA Penal Code 647(f)).

o It is illegal for persons to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of

alcohol or other intoxicants or with a blood alcohol level of .08% or higher (CA

Vehicle Code Section 23152). NOTE: A golf cart is a motor vehicle.

o It is unlawful for a person under the age of 21 years who has 0.05 percent or

more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood to drive a vehicle (CA Vehicle

Code Section 23140(a)).

o It is illegal for a person under the age of 21 to drive a vehicle when he or she has

a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .01% or higher (CA Vehicle Code Section


o It is a misdemeanor to ride a bicycle under the influence of alcohol, drugs or

both (CA Vehicle Code Section 21200.5).

o It is an infraction to possess an open container of an alcoholic beverage while in

a motor vehicle (CA Vehicle Code Section 23223).

o It is an infraction for an owner or driver of a motor vehicle to allow an open

container of alcohol in the passenger area (CA Vehicle Code Section 23225).

Stanford University |August 2011 5

Schengen Fact Sheet http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_4361.html

Schengen Fact Sheet

There are 25 European countries that are party to the Schengen Agreement, which eliminates all

internal border controls between them. Once you enter one Schengen country you may travel

continuously for up to 90 days within the member countries. Within the Schengen area, you do

not show your passport when crossing country borders.

If you are traveling for business or tourism:

You don’t need a visa for the initial entry into the Schengen area, but you must have a

passport valid three months beyond the proposed stay.

For example, for a two-week business trip, the passport must be valid for four months; for a

two-month holiday the passport must be valid for five months.

Note: Travelers for business or tourism are permitted to stay in the Schengen area for 90 days

within a six month period. Once the 90 day maximum is reached, leaving for a brief period and

re-entering the area does not entitle a traveler to 90 more days within the Schengen states. The

traveler would have to remain outside of the Schengen zone for 90 days before reentering without

a visa. Immigration officers at the port of entry have the right to determine whether your planned

activities are consistent with business or tourism. You should check with the Embassy or Consulate

of the country to which you are traveling if you have questions about whether your proposed trip

qualifies for visa-free travel. U.S. Embassies cannot intervene on behalf of U.S. citizens who are

denied entry into a foreign country.

If you are traveling for reasons other than business or tourism (such as employment, study,

internship, etc.):

you may need to obtain a visa before you leave the U.S. depending on the host country and

port of entry to the Schengen Zone. Check with the Embassy or Consulate of the country or

countries to which you are traveling for their specific requirements. The State Department’s

Foreign Embassy website page contains our most updated list.

Although European Union regulations require that non-EU visitors obtain a stamp in their

passports upon initial entry to a Schengen country, many borders are not staffed with officers

carrying out this function. If you want to be sure your entry is properly documented, you must ask

for a stamp at an official point of entry. Without the stamp, you may be questioned and asked to

prove how long you have been staying in Schengen countries when you leave.

The member countries of the Schengen agreement are:



Czech Republic
















1 of 2 8/16/12 10:29 AM

Health Information for Travelers to Germany - Travelers' Health - CDC http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/germany.htm

Travel Notices in Effect

Health Information for Travelers to Germany

Measles Update (/travel/notices/outbreak-notice/measles.htm) June 25, 2012

Human Infection with Avian Influenza A (H5N1) Virus: Advice for Travelers (/travel/page/human-infection-avian-flu-h5n1advice-for-travelers-current-situation.htm)

December 14, 2011

Guidelines and Recommendations: Interim Guidance about Avian Influenza (H5N1) for U.S. Citizens Living Abroad

(/travel/page/avian-flu-americans-abroad.htm) January 13, 2011

Safety and Security Abroad

Registration of Traveler Emergency Contact and Itinerary Information (/travel/page/register-contact-info.htm) January 13,


Transportation Security Administration (http://www.tsa.gov) (http://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html)

U.S. Department of State (http://travel.state.gov/) (http://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html)

Preparing for Your Trip to Germany

Before visiting Germany, you may need to get the following vaccinations and medications for vaccinepreventable

diseases and other diseases you might be at risk for at your destination: (Note: Your doctor or

health-care provider will determine what you will need, depending on factors such as your health and immunization history,

areas of the country you will be visiting, and planned activities.)

To have the most benefit, see a health-care provider at least 4–6 weeks before your trip to allow time for your vaccines to take


Even if you have less than 4 weeks before you leave, you should still see a health-care provider for needed vaccines,

medications, and information about how to protect yourself from illness and injury while traveling.

If your travel plans will take you to more than one country during a single trip, be sure to let your health-care provider know

so that you can receive the appropriate vaccinations and information for all of your destinations. Long-term travelers, such as

those who plan to work or study abroad, may also need additional vaccinations as required by their employer or school.

Be sure your routine vaccinations are up-to-date. Check the links below to see which vaccinations adults and

children should get.

Routine vaccines, as they are often called, such as for influenza, chickenpox (or varicella), polio, measles/mumps/rubella

(MMR), and diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) are given at all stages of life; see the childhood and adolescent immunization

schedule (http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/child-schedule.htm) and routine adult immunization schedule.


1 of 4 8/16/12 10:31 AM

2 of 4

Vaccination or Disease

Routine (http://www.cdc.gov



Hepatitis B (/travel/yellowbook



Preventable Diseases

Recommended if you are not up-to-date with routine shots,

such as measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) vaccine,

diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) vaccine, poliovirus

vaccine, etc.

Recommended for all unvaccinated persons who might be

exposed to blood or body fluids, have sexual contact with the

local population, or be exposed through medical treatment,

such as for an accident, even in developed countries, and for all

adults requesting protection from HBV infection.

Rabies vaccination (/travel/yellowBookCh4-Rabies.aspx) is only recommended for travelers involved in any

might bring them into direct contact with bats. These travelers include wildlife professionals, researchers, v

adventure travelers visiting areas where bats are commonly found.

Items to Bring With You

Medicines you may need:

The prescription medicines you take every day. Make sure you have enough to last during your

their original prescription bottles and always in your carry-on luggage. Be sure to follow security guide

(http://www.tsa.gov) (http://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html) , if the medicines are liquids.

Note: Some drugs available by prescription in the US are illegal in other countries. Check the US Departme

Consular Information Sheets (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1765.html) (http://www.cdc.gov

/disclaimer.html) for the country(s) you intend to visit or the embassy or consulate for that country(s). If you

allowed in the country you will be visiting, ask your health-care provider to write a letter on office stationer

medication has been prescribed for you.

Other items you may need:

See suggested over-the-counter medications and first aid items for a travelers' health kit (/travel/yellowBookC

Note: Check the Air Travel (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/index.shtm) (http://www.cdc.gov/Other/dis

section of the Transportation Security Administration (http://www.tsa.gov/) (http://www.cdc.gov/Other/dis

website for the latest information about airport screening procedures and prohibited items.

Other Diseases Found in Western Europe

Risk can vary between countries within this region and also within a country; th

in-country surveillance also varies.

The following are disease risks that might affect travelers; this is not a complete list of diseases that can be p

Environmental conditions may also change, and up to date information about risk by regions within a coun

always be available.

Tickborne encephalitis (TBE) (/travel/yellowBookCh4-Tickborne.aspx) occurs in warmer months of the southe

nontropical forested regions of Europe.

Leishmaniasis (/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-5/cutaneous-leishmaniasis.aspx) (cutaneous and visceral) is fou

countries bordering the Mediterranean, with the highest number of cases from Spain, where it is an import

infection in HIV-infected persons.

3 of 4

updates from the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) (http://www.oie.int/downld/AVIAN%20INFLUE

Asia.htm) (http://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html) .

Staying Healthy During Your Trip

Prevent Insect Bites

Diseases, like tickborne encephalitis (/travel/yellowBookCh4-Tickborne.aspx) (TBE) and leishmaniasis (/travel/

/2010/chapter-5/cutaneous-leishmaniasis.aspx) are spread through tick and sandfly bites respectively. One of th

is to prevent such bites by:

Using insect repellent with 30%-50% DEET. Picaridin, available in 7% and 15% concentrations, needs t


Wearing long-sleeved shirts which should be tucked in, long pants, and hats to cover exposed skin. Wh

with ticks and fleas, wear boots, not sandals, and tuck pants into socks.

For detailed information about insect repellent use, see Insect and Arthropod Protection (/travel/page/insect

Prevent Animal Bites and Scratches

Direct contact with animals can spread diseases like rabies or cause serious injury or illness. It is important

bites and scratches.

Be sure you are up to date with tetanus vaccination.

Do not touch or feed any animals, including dogs and cats. Even animals that look like healthy pets can

other diseases.

Help children stay safe by supervising them carefully around all animals.

If you are bitten or scratched, wash the wound well with soap and water and go to a doctor right aw

After your trip, be sure to tell your doctor or state health department if you were bitten or scratched du

For more information about rabies and travel, see the Rabies chapter (/travel/yellowBookCh4-Rabies.aspx) of t

(/travel/page/home-2010.htm) or CDC's Rabies homepage (http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/) . For more information

protect yourself from other risks related to animals, see Animal-Associated Hazards (/travel/yellowBookCh6-

Be Careful about Food and Water

Diseases from food and water are the leading cause of illness in travelers. Follow these tips for safe eating a

Avoid unpasteurized dairy products.

Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially before eating. If soap and water are not availab

alcohol-based hand gel (with at least 60% alcohol).

Diseases from food and water often cause vomiting and diarrhea.

Avoid Injuries

Car crashes are a leading cause of injury (http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowBookCh6-Injuries.aspx) among trav

yourself from these injuries by:

Not drinking and driving.

Wearing your seat belt and using car seats or booster seats in the backseat for children.

Following local traffic laws.

4 of 4

After You Return Home

If you are not feeling well, you should see your doctor and mention that you have recently traveled. Also tel

were bitten or scratched by an animal while traveling.

Important Note: This document is not a complete medical guide for travelers to this region. Consult wit

specific information related to your needs and your medical history; recommendations may differ for preg

young children, and persons who have chronic medical conditions.

Map Disclaimer - The boundaries and names shown and the designations used on maps do not imply th

any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concerning the lega

country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or bound

Approximate border lines for which there may not yet be full agreement are generally marked.

Page created: August 29, 2008

Page last updated: June 25, 2012

Page last reviewed: January 13, 2011

Content source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID)

Division of Global Migration and Quarantine (DGMQ)

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 1600 Clifton Rd. Atlanta, GA 30333, USA

800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636) TTY: (888) 232-6348 - cdcinfo@cdc.gov

Fellowships and Grants

Student Grants for Research and Creative Projects

Undergraduate Advising and Research sponsors several types of grants designed to

support rigorous, independent scholarship in all disciplines. Students undertaking

research or creative projects in any field (including the natural sciences,

engineering, social sciences, humanities, and fine arts) are eligible for this

funding. These grants vary in their duration and budget, but they adhere to the

same eligibility requirements, application procedures and other administrative




Haas Center for Public Service

The Undergraduate Fellowships Program offers resources for Stanford

undergraduates who wish to make contributions to public service organizations and

communities. Depending on the fellowship, fellows can participate in either

prearranged placements or self-­‐designed fellowship opportunities in both domestic

and international settings.


or visit

the FISP database for a list of opportunities:


More magazines by this user
Similar magazines