Presented to: ISM‐SEMSEM
February 17, 2011
Yodit Mesfin Johnson
Accomplished, strategic‐thinking leader offering a
combination i of business, technological l and financial i acumen accompanied by diverse industry experience;
Proven track record of launching initiatives that
include gains to the bottom line, restoring profitability
to troubled operations, and facilitating business
expansion; Expert communication and interpersonal
skills; Proficient in the use of technology to enhance
AND?? SOOO?? WHAT????
W’ll We’ll come back to this…..
What a traditional brand does…
• Delivers the message clearly
• Confirms your credibility
• Connects your target prospects emotionally
• Motivates the buyer
• Concretes User Loyalty
Brands we know…..
lately, at least
What YOUR brand does
Personal Branding consists of three elements:
• Value Proposition: What do you stand for?
• Differentiation: What makes you stand out?
• Marketability: What makes you compelling?
New Economy realities
• Job market poor; Employer’s market basically
• Increased competition
• You’re just not the only one with that skill set
• Huge cross‐section of generations – someone younger will do
the same work cheaper
• Languishing Corporate Loyalty
• It costs more to keep you
What Makes You So Special?
• What DO you stand for?
• What makes YOU stand out?
• WHAT makes you compelling?
It’s Your Ethos…
Personal branding is reflected in our appearance, our
intonation (uh hem…Barry White ;), our non‐verbal
language, our business approaches...in fact, it is
reflected in everything we do.
Start thinking about your own personal brand…. Ask
yourself: 'What do I want to be known for?'"
10 Ways to build your Brand
1. You’re already doing it. Do MORE of what you do best
2. Claim it; define your brand
3. Leverage WHO you are
4. BE AUTHENTIC
5. Buy in to it
6. Create a visual “hook” (for yourself)
7. Simplify and Center
8. Look Inside to Grow Outside
9. Engage others ; ask for help
10. Grow Smart
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and
expecting different results.
When’s the last time you switched things up?
• You’ll know this is working when:
1. It’s not just a job; it’s what you love
2. Your family, friends and pets enjoy being with you
3. Your health improves
4. The people around you do better
5. You make more money
6. You lose weight
7. You feel better overall
Don’t believe me….
Dynamic, passionate, engaged, confident, honest,
fragile, leader type who used her life and her
experiences to break people free of the barriers that
get in the way of them being their best selves and
living their best lives.
This is who I am, who I want to be and how I want
people to see me. What’s your truth.
Q & A? Miss Something? Comment?
Yodit Mesfin Johnson
on FB: Yodit Mesfin Johnson
Follow me on Twitter @ yoditmj