Broaden your Horizon guide - Oulu

Broaden your Horizon guide - Oulu


Exchange Programmes for Outgoing Students


International Services

January 2013

Pictures: International Services, Janne Harpela

(New Zealand), Sanna Heikkinen (Denmark,

Iceland), Kristin Davies (Iceland),Teija Skants


International Services reserves the right for


1. General principles of student exchange 4

2. Application process 5



5. Bilateral agreements 14

6. ISEP 16

7. UNC-EP 17

8. FIRST 18

9. north2north 20

10. North-South-South 21

11. Language proficiency 22

12. Transferring the credits 23

13. Important to remember! 24

14. Checklist before going on exchange 26

15. Contact information 28



In general, all degree students of the University

of Oulu can apply for a student exchange. This

means that they can study a part of their degree

in a partner university abroad. There are several

programmes and hundreds of universities to

choose from. The length of a student exchange is

usually 1 or 2 terms. For more information on this

please see exchange programme specific details

in this guide.I n order to go on exchange students

need to have their first year of academic studies

completed at the University of Oulu.

Information on student exchange possibilities

can be found in this guide, and on the International

Services website. Available exchange places

are announced through a call for application

(hakukuulutus) when an application period begins.

Application rounds are organised either by the

International Relations (e.g. bilateral places) or the

departments/faculties (e.g. ERASMUS) depending

on the exchange programme. In a nutshell,

European exchange programmes (ERASMUS and

NORDPLUS) are coordinated by the departments

and faculties. The International Services

coordinates exchange programmes outside

Europe. Please note that application periods

and deadlines vary depending on the exchange


Each faculty/department in the University of

Oulu also has its own international coordinator,

who is there to help with student exchange

matters. Departmental coordinators and the staff

members of International Servces are available for

personal counselling and for detailed information

about the application and selection procedure.

Please note that all academic matters should be

discussed at the department/faculty.

When you start planning your exchange

international master’s degree students should bare

in mind that the duration of a master’s programme

is 2 years and graduating in time is important.

Master students’ study plan contains a set of

precisely defined courses, which are required for

graduation. This sets more specific requirements

for the planning of your exchange period. Thus,

before applying for an exchange, it is essential to

discuss your study progress and your possibilities

for exchange studies with your master’s degree

programme coordinator.

During the selection process the applicants

will be ranked on the basis of the GPA of their

university studies, the amount of study points

earned, and the language skills required by the

host university. Academic references may also

be required. Applicants are usually invited to a

group interview. Kindly note, that some exchange

programmes apply terms and conditions based on

nationality and citizenship, so foreign students are

encouraged to check carefully and well in advance

whether they are eligible to apply..



The exchange programmes offered at the

University of Oulu are open for both bachelor and

master level degree students unless otherwise

stated. In order to be eligible for exchange a

student must be enrolled at the University of

Oulu as a degree student. First year students are

not eligible to go on exchange but they can apply

for an exchange place for their second year of

studies. The lenght of an exchange period is 3 to

12 months.

2.1. Call for Applications

International Services announces the available

exchange destinations through a Call for Exchange

Applications. The call includes all necessary

information on the application period, times of the

possible information sessions, required enclosures

and possible interviews. A printed version of

the call is always available from the International

Relations office. Students will also receive the call

through e-mail if they have subscribed to some of

the guild lists.

N.B.! Some of the exchange programmes

are coordinanted by the departments (e.g.

ERASMUS). In these cases the departments

are responsible for the call for applications.

Please note that departments’ ways of informing

studens about their calls can differ from that of

International Services’.

2.2. SoleMOVE Application Database

For all exchange applications regardless of

the programme or the cooridinating unit the

University of Oulu uses an electronic database

called SoleMOVE. Through the database

students can also scroll the list of existing

exchange destinations. SoleMOVE is an internet

based system and students can log on from any

computer that has an internet connection by using

the same username and password as they use for

the university network.

The whole application is filled out electronically

meaning that even all enclosures (e.g. Transcript of

records) are uploaded to the SoleMOVE system. If

a student is required to hand in certain documents

after the exchange, that too will happen through


Please note that SoleMOVE is used for

incoming and outgoing exchange applications by

the University of Oulu only. Should a student

be accepted for an exchange period s/he could

be required to fill out another application to the

host university according to the host university’s


Every term during the application periods

the International Services organise information

sessions in which students are adviced on how to

use SoleMOVE. Separate info sessions are available

for those applying to European destinations and

for those applying for an exchange place outside



2.3. Application Enclosures


A Motivation Letter, also known as Personall

Statement or a Statement of Purpose, is a

mandatory enclosure for all exchange destinations

coordinated by the International Services. The

aim of a motivation letter is to give a clear and

concise description on why the student is applying

for an exchange place. The letter should also tell

something about the personality of the applicant

as well as underlining why the applicant is suitable

for the specific destination(s) s/he has chosen to

apply to.

At . least the following matters should be included

in a motivation letter:

1. The name of the university the student is

applying to and the period of exchange.

2. What are the aims of the exchange and the

possible long term advantages gained from the


3. A description of planned studies and why those

studies are beneficial to the applicant.

Other matters can also be included should they

seem important for the writer. It should be borne

in mind that the main emphasis of the letter should

be on academic reasons. A motivation Letter is

written in English and should not be more than

one A4 sheet in length (one sided)


A Letter of Reference (or Academic Reference),

written by a member of the academic staff,

highlights the applicant’s academic skills and

achievements. It is desirable that the person

writing the reference has some kind of personal

insight to the student’s personality, for example

through teaching. This way the reference will be

more in-depth without being simply a summary

of the applicant’s transcript of records. The

person giving the reference does not need to

be a professor, although especially American

universities might value a professor’s opinion more

highly. The most important aspect is that the

person actually knows the student.



Most of the universities abroad require the

exchange students to provide them with some

kind of a certificate proving their language

proficiency if the student is not a native English

speaker. Language proficiency can be proven with

an official language test (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS) or

with a written certificate from the University of

Oulu Language Services according to the HOST

UNIVERSITY’S requirements. Please note that in

some cases an applicant can be asked to prove

their language skills in other languages than English,

for example, for some exchange destinations


In the Call for Application it is clearly stated

in the description of each destination if that

particular university requires applicants to provide

a TOEFL/IELTS results. If the university does not

require an official language test it automatically

means that the students accepted to that

university have to acquire the language certificate

written by the Language Services. In a nutshell, all

students applying to destinations outside Europe

should be prepared to acquire either of the before

mentioned certificates.



3.1 General information about Erasmus

exchange programme

Erasmus is a European Union exchange

programme that aims to support European higher

education cooperation and mobility. Erasmus is

part of the European Union’s Lifelong Learning

programme (Life Long Learning Programme, 2007-

2013). It is intended to citizens of the EU and to

those who have gained permanent residence in

one of the EU countries.

Erasmus programme is open to all EU member

countries and Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein,

Turkey, Croatia and Switzerland.

Programme is open for undergraduate and

graduate students in all academic fields. New

students are not eligible for a exchange during

their first year but can apply for a exchange for

their second year. Application period is usually

in spring term. In some cases departments can

organise an application round in the fall term too,

if they still have available places. Follow the notice

boards or contact the international coordinator

at your department for more information

on Erasmus application rounds. The contact

information for all departmental coordinators can

be found from chapter 3.6.

The exchange period in Erasmus programme

is 3-12 months. In practice that means 1 or 2

terms. It is a good idea to consider spending a full

term or even a full academic year abroad. Should

you decide to stay longer, it is usually possible to

extend your stay if both the home and the host

universities agree on this. However, should you

extend your stay you will not be automatically

entitled to any additional Erasmus grant.

As in all exchange programmes, you should

make sure that the studies you are planning to do

during your exchange will be transferred into your

degree in Oulu. In Erasmus you are required to

make a study plan (Learning Agreement) prior to

your exchange and have it signed by your home

and your host university. If your study plan changes

at any point, you are required to write a Changes

to Learning Agreement and have it signed.



1. Find out which European universities have

a partner agreement with your department.

All Eramus destinations are listed also in the

SoleMOVE system. Check from your coordinator

which of those destinations are available to you.

Departmental coordinators usually have a listing of

the partner universities’ websites where you can

find information on their course selection.

2. Contact your departmental coordinator,

s/he will advise you with

a) application deadlines

b) SoleMOVE database

c) Learning Agreement (i.e. study plan that

must be signed by both home and host

institution, the signature of your home department

is a reassurance that your studies will be accepted

as a part of you degree at the University of Oulu)

If your Learning Agreement changes during your

exchange a new LA needs to be signed by both


3. Find out about the language requirements

in the host university. Also, find out whether

language courses are organised and whether they

are liable to a fee. You can get more information

from the departmental coordinators, study guides

and partner university websites. It is never too

early to start practising your language skills!

4. Ask your departmental coordinator about

housing arrangements in the host university.

Check also the hosting university website for

more information.

3.2. Erasmus grant

All outgoing exchange students receive an

ERASMUS grant which can be given to a student

only once. However, the following five conditions

have to be fulfilled:

1. The exchange period is 3-12 months

2. Student makes a Learning Agreement (i.e.

study plan) which is approved and signed by the

students’ home university and host university

3. Studies in the host university must be

accepted as a part of your degree at the Univeristy

of Oulu

4. One year of university is completed

before a student can go on exchange (master’s

degree students: please consult you programme

coordinator since different rules may apply

depending on the programme)

5. Host university does not charge tuition fees

(N.B. You might be expected to pay student union

fees, library fees, etc,)

Erasmus grant will be paid to the student in

two parts so that EUR 200 of the total grant will

be detained and paid to the student AFTER the

exchange and once all the required documents

have been uploaded to the SoleMOVE system.


Exchange period:

Faculty of Humanities


3 months 800 eur

4-6 months 1200 eur

7-10 months 1800 eur

11-12 months 2200 eur


3.3 KELA Financial Aid for Students

Students who are entitled to the financial aid

by KELA will receive it also during their exchange.

Financial aid is EUR 298 per month and Housing

supplement abroad is EUR 210 per month.

Housing supplement to low-rent countries such

as Bulgaria, Romania, Slovenia, Latvia, Lithuania,

Poland, Czech Republic, Estonia, Slovakia and

Hungary varies from 58,87 to 109,32 per month.

More information can be found from Kela website


The government guaranteed study loan (EUR

600 per month) is also available during exchange.

3.4. Insurance

Students are responsible for arranging the

necessary travel and health insurances for their

exchange period. The European Health Insurance

card granted by KELA must be obtained by the

student. With this card student receives medical

care during temporary stay in the EU or EAA

countries or Switzerland. However, students are

strongly recommended to have a separate travel

and health insurance. Also note, that having a

certain kind of an insurance is often a prequisite

for obtaining a visa/residence permit to most

countries. More information about the visa

requirements can be acquired from the country’s

embassy or from the host university.

3.5 Erasmus Placements

In addition Erasmus excahange, students also

have the possibility to gain work experience

through ERASMUS Placement. Placement enables

students at higher education institutions to spend

a placement (traineeship/internship) period

between 3 months and 12 months in an enterprise

or organisation in another participating European

country. Outgoing trainees may be eligible a

monthly Erasmus scholarship from the University

of Oulu depending on whether they get paid

for the traineeship and on the number of

available scholarships.

Outgoing ERASMUS Placement students

can also apply for an intensive language course

(EILC) organised in the host country before their

placement begins.

For more information and guidance concerning

ERASMUS Placements, please contact Titta Koski

( at the Counseling and Career


3.6 ECTS-points

Erasmus programme uses European Credit

Transfer System (ECTS). ECTS system ensures

transfer of obtained study credits from one

country to another. In the University of Oulu, one

ECTS is equal to one study point (opintopiste).

Grading equivalents are following: A=5, B=4, C=3,

D=2, E=1.

3.7 EILC (Erasmus Intensive Language


The Erasmus Intensive Language Courses (EILC)

are specialised courses organised in less widely

used and less taught European languages. Students

who have been acceptd for Erasmus exchange

(or placement) can apply for EILC if courses are

organised in their host country. EILC courses

usually last for 4-6 weeks and are organised

before the actual semester starts between July-

September and January-February. The duration of

EILC course will not be regarded as a part of the

exchange period.

EILC courses are free of charge and accepted

students will receive a separate grant of EUR 400

for the course in addition to the Erasmus grant.

Courses organised during the academic year

2012-2013 can be found online at the European

Comission website at:



To apply for an EILC course, please fill out

the electronic application form at


The form has to be submitted via e-mail to

Riitta Kataja ( by the deadline.

Application deadline for the courses in Autumn

2013 is in May.

3.8 Departmental Coordinators

Each department is responsible for making and

renweing their own Erasmus agreements. For

this reason, the selection of available places can

differ considerably between departments. All valid

Erasmus agreements are listed in the SoleMOVE

database. Contact your own departmental

coordinator to make sure which agreements apply

to your department.

Departments are responsible for application

rounds during spring term. It is worth bearing

in mind that not all destinations are necessarily

open for applications each year even though the

agreement is valid.

For more information please contac your

departmental coordinator. All e-mail addresses

are unless otherwise


Oili Sievola, tel. 0294 483428

Faculty of Education

Jani Haapakoski, tel. 0294 483715

Oulu Business School

Merja Inget, tel. 0294 487780

Faculty of Medicine

Clinical Medicine: Virpi Parkkila

tel. 08 315 4125

Dentistry: Jorma Virtanen, tel. 029 485584

Nursing Science Ulla Timlin tel. 0294 485111

Biocenter: Sinikka Eskelinen, tel. 0294 484106

Medical Technology: Anna Jauho

tel. 0294 486005

Faculty of Science

Astronomy: Jouko Raitala, tel. 0294 481945

Biochemistry: Jari Heikkinen, tel. 0294 481208

Biology: Minna Vanhatalo, tel. 0294 481491

Chemistry: Marja Lajunen, tel. 0294 481632

Geosciences: Seija Roman, tel. 0294 481442

Geography: Topiantti Äikäs, tel. 0294 481728

Information Processing Science: Juha Iisakka

tel. 0294 481895

Mathematics: Tero Vedenjuoksu,

tel. 0294 481754

Physics, Biophysics: Kari Kaila,

tel. 0294 481283

Faculty of Technology

Architecture: Leena Kuorelahti, tel. 0294


Electrical and Information Engineering:

Maritta Juvani, tel. 0294 482767

Mechanical Engineering: Yrjö Louhisalmi, tel.

0294 482054

Process and Environmental Engineering:

Marita Puikkonen, p. 0294 482309

Industrial Engineering: Paulus Lakkala, p. 040




4.1. Nordplus

Nordplus and Nordlys are Nordic exchange

programmes for undergraduate and graduate

students and for university teachers. Nordplus

and Nordlys cover the five Nordic Countries

(Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Iceland)

as well as Åland, Faroe Islands, Greenland, and

Svalbard (which are autonomous regions of

the Nordic countries) and Baltic countries. The

programme began in 1988 and its objective is to

promote and strengthen Nordic collaboration in

the field of higher education.

Nordplus exchange is organised through

Nordplus networks which operate on

departmental level. Many of the departments at

the University of Oulu have set up a network with

other Nordic Universities. Each network has its

own Nordplus coordinator.

4.2. Applying for Nordplus Exchange

• Undergraduate and graduate students from

all academic fields can apply for this exchange


• New students cannot go on exchange during

their first year but can apply to go on their second


• The exchange period in Nordplus and

Nordlys programmes is 1-12 months (usually one

or two semesters). It is possible to go for Nordplus

exchange several times, however, the total

duration can not exceed 12 months

• Studies in the host university must be

accepted as a part of your degree at the Univeristy

of Oulu

• During the exchange period the student

must live in the host country (it is not allowed to

commute from Finland).

4.3. Nordlys

If your department does not belong to any

network, you can apply to Nordplus exchange

through the Nordlys network coordinated by

International Services. Nordlys can also be used

if you wish to study something else than your

own field during your exchange although priority

is given to students whose department does

not have a network. Almost all of the Nordic

universities take part in Nordlys. Nordplus

applications are submitted to your department/

faculty, Nordlys applications to the International

Services. Application periods may vary. Please

consult your department/faculty and/or Nordlys

coordinator at the International Services, Sanna

Heikkinen (tel. 0294 484047, sanna.heikkinen@

Nordplus students receive a scholarship of 200

euros per month. Some networks may also give a

separate travel grant if the network has received

funding for this.


Many Nordic universities are participating in

both Erasmus and Nordplus programmes so

there may be several paths to apply to a certain



4.4 Nordplus Networks at the University

of Oulu


Leena Kuorelahti, tel. 0294 484985


Annamari Markkola, tel. 0294 481530

Faculty of Education

Jani Haapakoski, tel. 0294 483715

Faculty of Humanities

Oili Sievola, tel. 0294 483428


Merja Inget, tel. 0294 487780


Virpi Parkkila, tel. 08 3154125


Outi Simi, tel. 0294 482004



University of Oulu has several bilateral student

exchange agreements with partner universities

around the world. In general, bilateral places are

available for both undergraduate and graduate

students in all academic fields. All partner

universities can be found in the SoleMOVE


International Services coordinate an application

round for bilateral exchanges twice a year in the

beginning of each term. The schedule for both

application rounds can be found next page.

Should some of the destinations be restricted to

certain fields of study, this will be noted in the Call

for Applications. The length of a bilateral exchange

period is one term. All selected students are

entitled to a grant which is EUR 1100 for students

going to USA and Canada and EUR 1300 for other

coutries. Grants for bilateral places in Germany

are the same as in Erasmus.

Some overseas destinations may not be open

for applications every year. Once an application

period has begun it will be announced through

a Call fo Applications (hakukuulutus) that will be

available on notice boards and online at www.oulu.

fi/yliopisto/opiskelu/vaihto-opiskelu. International

Services also send the notice through student

e-mail lists.

Please note that some partner universities

require students to take TOEFL/IELTS language

test prior to acceptance.

For further information please contact the



Riitta Kataja: Buffalo, Newcastle, RMIT, Japan,

Waterloo, Lakehead

Sanna Heikkinen: north2north-, FIRST, Nordlys

Anja Mäläskä: other bilateral agreements, ISEP

and UNC-EP programmes



Please not that the list presented below is subject to change.

24 September-15 October 2012:

Mainly English-speaking destinations


- Griffith University

- Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT)

- University of Canberra

- University of Melbourne

- University of Newcastle


- Lakehead University

- University of Waterloo

- Université de Montréal

United States

- East Carolina University

- Michigan Technological University

- Montana State University

- Pittsburg State University

- Washington College

- University of Missouri - St. Louis

- University of NC at Greensboro

- University of NC at Wilmington

- University of North Dakota

- State University of NY at Buffalo


South Korea (iKEMM)

- Pukyong National University

- Pusan National University

16 January-6 February 2013:

Asia, Latin America, Russia, Nordlys and



- Universidad del Salvador


- Universidade de São Paulo

- PUC Parana, Pontificia Universidade Catolica do



_ University Viña del Mar


- Tec de Monterrey


- Jiangxi University of Finance and Economics

- Shanghai Jia Tong University

Hong Kong

- Chinese University of Hong Kong


- Hokkaido University

- Tohoku University

- Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Osaka

University, Kyoto University

- Osaka Sangyo University


-The National University of Singapore

United States

- Michigan Technological University

- Pittsburg State University

- University of North Dakota

- Washington College

- University of Missouri - St. Louis

- University of NC at Greensboro


- Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen

FIRST, n2n ja Nordlys Programmes



6.1. International Student Exchange


ISEP stands for International Student

Exchange Programme. ISEP is available for

both undergraduate and graduate students in

all academic fields except for clinical medicine.

The exchange period is either one or two terms.

For more information please visit

International students need to consult with the

International Services staff about their eligibility for

this programme.

There are three ISEP programmes to choose

from: US ISEP, International-to-International

and Direct. The US ISEP and Internationalto-International

programmes are based on

reciprocity. This means that an outgoing exchange

student pays for housing, meals and student union

fee to his/her home university prior to departure

and hence will receive the same benefits free of

charge in the host university. An outgoing ISEPstudent

from Finland would pay the student union

fee and 2825 EUR / one term or 5650 EUR / two

terms (in year 2009-2010). In addition to these

payments, students are responsible for their own

personal expenses, insurances etc.

TOEFL language test (or equivalent) is

required for most English speaking destinations,

and a sufficient level of Spanish/Japanese is

usually required in Latin American and Japanese

universities accordingly. The application period

for all ISEP programmes is in September-October.

Study programme in the host university is planned

according to the students’ own interests, previous

studies and curriculum possibilities offered by each

of the host universities.

In US ISEP programme the destination

universities are located in USA and Canada.

Detailed list of ISEP host universities can be

found at


If selected to the programme students are

entitled to a grant of EUR 1100.

6.2 International-to-International ISEP

In International-to-International ISEP exchange

the host universities are located outside North

America. Available Internationa-to-Internationa

ISEP pratners may vary from year to year.

If selected for Internationa-to-International ISEP

students will get a grant of EUR 1300

6.3 ISEP Direct

ISEP-Direct is different from the other ISEP

programmes in a sense that it is not based on

reciprocity. Instead, students pay for the tuition,

accommodation and food themselves at the host

university according to their fees. If you choose

to go on exchange through ISEP-Direct you

are entitled to a similar grant as in other ISEP


For more information about ISEP please contact

Anja Mäläskä,



UNC-EP is a student exchange programme

between a consortium of American and Finnish

universities: sixteen universities in North Carolina

(US) and five universities in Finland (Kuopio,

Jyväskylä, Oulu, Tampere and Vaasa).

UNC-EP is available for both undergraduate and

graduate students (US citizens excluded) in all

academic fields. Exchange period is either 1 or 2


Students pay for food and accommodation at

the host universities but no tuition fees. The

application period is in September-October. If

selected students will get a grant of EUR 1100 (in

year 2012-2013).

TOEFL/IELTS language test is required for all

outgoing UNC-EP exchange students. For more

information on the US partners please see: www.

For more information about UN-CEP please

contct Anja Mäläskä,



FIRST stands for Finnish-Russian Student

Exchange. The programme is open for applications

from undergraduate and graduate students in

all academic fields. In order to participate in this

exchange programme, the student needs to

have Russian or Finnish citizenship or permanent

residense permit (A-type or P)

Exchange period is 3-12 months, and all studies

in the host university must be accepted as a part

of your degree at the Univeristy of Oulu. The

universities are located in the Russian Federation,

and the application period is in January-February.

1.Arkangelsk State Technical University (www. Fields: Engineering, Humanities

2. Karelian State Pedagogical Academy (kspu. Fields: Education, Humanities

3. Murmansk State Technical University (www. Fields: Business Studies, Engineering,

Geography, Geology, Humanities, Mathematics,

Informatics, Natural Sciences

8. Herzen State Pedagogical University of

Russia, St. Petersburg (

Fields: Geography, Geology, Humanities

9. St. Petersburg National Research University

of information Teachnologies, Mechanics

and Optics, Institute of Refrigeration and

Biotechnologies ( Fields:

Business Studies

If selected, students are entitled to a grant, the

amount depending on the destination city:

- EUR 500 for Petrozavodsk State University

and Karelian State Pedagogical University

- EUR 700 for Arkhangelsk Technical State

University, Murmansk State Technical University,

Northern State Medical University and Pomor

State University

- EUR 1200 for Herzen State Pedagogical

University and St. Petersburg National Research

University of information Teachnologies,

Mechanics and Optics, Institute of Refrigeration

and Biotechnologies.

4. Murmansk Humanities Institute (www. Fields: Business Studies, Langauges

and Philology, Communication and Information


5. Northern State Medical University (www. Fields: Humanities, Medical Sciences

The application for round for FIRST

programme will be in January-February 2013.

For further information contact Sanna Heikkinen

at the International Services or the Center for

International Mobility. CIMO’s web site: www.

6. Petrozavodsk State University (

Fields: Architecture, Urban and Regional

Planning, Geography, Geology, Humanities,

Mathematics, Informatics, Natural Sciences

7. Pomor State University (

Fields: Business Studies, Humanities


9. north2north

University of Oulu is a member in the

University of the Arctic and hence eligible to send

students on exchange through its north2north

programme. The possible host universities are

located in Canada, Russian Federation, and the

United States. Sweden, Norway and Iceland

are also icluded in the programme but it is

recommended that exchanges to these countries

are made through Erasmus or Nordplus.

The programme is open for students, whose

studies have a northern emphasis, and/or who

are dedicated to contributing to the northern

community. The application period is in January-

February. If selected, students are entitled to a

study and a travel grant from CIMO.

The amount of study grant depends on the

duration of exchange (3-4 months EUR 1000,

5-12 months EUR 1500). Travel grant is EUR 500

for Sweden and Norway and EUR 1000 for other


When considering the eligibilty of international

degree students, decisions are made on case-bycase

basis depending on the studies performed

by a student. For more information on the

programme and on the universities please visit or contact Sanna

Heikkinen (sanna.heikkinen@oulu. fi, tel. 0294 48





NORTH-SOUTH-SOUTH Higher Education

Institution Network is a programme coordinated

by the Foreign Ministry of Finland. The objective

is to build sustainable collaboration between

Finnish universities and universities in developing


In the University of Oulu the programme

is open for undergraduate and graduate

students from the fields of geography,

education, information studies and process and

environmental engineering. International degree

students can not apply to go for exchange to their

home country.

If selected, students are entitled to a monthly

grant of EUR 400 as well as to a travel grant of

EUR 1200. The application period varies according

to project and faculty. For more information please

contact the appropriate coordinator: (firstname.

• Information Science: Maija-Leena Huotari

• Teacher Education: Jani Haapakosk

• Geoprahy: Jarkko Saarinen

• Medicine: Tuula Kaisto



Standardised language tests are an important part

of student selection in most international universities,

especially in the United States. Requiring language

tests from exchange applicants as well is becoming

more and more widespread especially in universities

in North America and Australia.

11.1.TOEFL and IELTS

TOEFL and IELTS are probably the most well

known and recognized language tests. TOEFL and

IELTS can be taken in Helsinki several times per


TOEFL test is available in Helsinki and it is

organised by Premeria in their Prometric Test


For more information about the test and the

available dates can be found from

Sign up for TOEFL can be done either online at or by phone +31 320 239 540.

certificate from the Language Services if their

destination does not specifically require TOEFL or

IELTS results.

11.2. University of Oulu Language

services and tests

Language Services organize tests on specific

dates only, so students should reserve a time for a

test as soon as they are informed that they need

to take the test. Language Services offers two

different types of certificate: 1) one that is written

based on the courses the student has studies at

the Language Services and 2) one that is written

after a short exam. Only the latter certificate

is accepted for the exchange destinations

coordinated by the International Services.

A test time can be reserved either by e-mail to or by phone 029 448 3021.

TOEFL costs USD 240 (approx. EUR 191) and it

can be paid either by credit card or by check.

TOEFL practice material for the test can be

ordered online form

IELTS test in Finland is organised byt Finnbrit

which is also located in Helsinki. Test costs EUR

210 and the results are available 13 days after

taking the test. Sign up for the test can be done

online at Practice

material for the test is available from the same

address. For more information, call Finnbrit +358

(0)9 687 70420.

13.2. Language Certificates from the Language


When applying to destinations outside Europe,

students are required to acquire a language

For more information please see the Language

Services webpage under the title “Language

Services and Tests”.



In June 1994 the board of the University of

Oulu accepted the instructions on how to include

studies from other higher educational institutions

into a degree in the University of Oulu. The

instructions define the principles of compensation.

The basis is that studies at a foreign university are

accepted into the degree as fully as possible. In

order to guarantee this it is of utmost importance

that students get the approval of their home

deparmtent for their study plan aborad. Studentds

may need to modify the plan due to changes in the

host university’s courses. These changes should

also be approved by the home university.

It is the students’ responsibilty to assure that

they bring with them all the possible material

concerning the courses they have finished during

their exchange: course outlines, essays, learning

journals, examinations, etc, and a transcript of

records that show the credit and grade awarded

from each course.This way the transferring the

credits is as simple as possible.



13.1. Check your residence permit

In case you are not a permanent resident of

Finland or a Finnish citizen, make sure that you

contact the receiving institution and immigration

authorities early enough before you exchange. The

country (including other EU countries) in which

you plan to do your exchange may require you

to apply for additional permits in addition to the

ones you have received when arriving in Finland.

In some cases you are not able to acquire the

required permits from Finland and may need to

return to your home country to apply for a visa for

the destination country. Although departmental

coordinators and International Relations will do

their best to help you with these matters, you

need to be proactive and take responsibility for

fulfilling all application as well as immigration


13.2. Study support

This information is for international students,

who are eligible for study support while studying

in Finland. Exchange grant from the University of

Oulu, e.g. NORDPLUS or ERASMUS grants, do

not influence study support,. which is maximum

298 EUR/month and foreign housing support 210

EUR/month (housing support is smaller in lowrent

countries) and all together 508 EUR/month.

International Services provides an up-to-date list

of outgoing exchange students to the Student

Services which checks the relevant information on

the outgoing students.

13.3. University and Student Union


Exchange students, leaving from the University


as present or absent if they receive study support

during their exchange. KELA requires this from

all the students leaving for exchange. Register as

present, for example, if you intend also to carry

out some studies in Oulu during the exchange

semester/academic year. Outgoing exchange

students can register as present in the university

without paying the student union fee.

Students going on exchange trough the ISEPexchange

programme, to the University of North

Carolina at Greensboro or Washington College

have to register as present and pay pay the

student union fee. For other exchange destinations

the student union fee is optional. If students

need student union services and membership

benefits during the exchange period, (for example

transport discount, student price meals or health

service) they pay the fee and regisrtate to the

University of Oulu student union as usual.

13.4. Costs during exchange

When taking part in different exchange

programmes (Erasmus, UNC-EP, Nordplus,

north2north, ISEP, etc.) and university’s bilateral

programmes, student does not need to pay tuition

fees to the host university. However, be prepared

to the other costs, such as membership fee to the

local student union, library, laboratory and other

educational related fees, textbooks, photocopies



Students going to exchange through official

programmes, receive assistance in housing matters

from the host university. Rents may vary greatly

from place to place (big cities are usually more

expensive). Rent can also depend if it is a student

or rental housing. Start checking available housing

possibilities well in advance.

Student should take an insurance, for example

long-term travelling insurance, accident insurance

abroad etc. during the exchange period. Insurance

is an advantage even if leaving for exchange on

Erasmus or Nordplus programmes. If leaving to

USA, Australia or Canada, insurance is mandatory.

When going to ETA/EU countries, exchange

students are entitled to the same social security

benefits as country’s nationals.

Information about residence permit

requirements can be obtained from the embassy

of the destination country.

13.5. Health care

Before going for exchange, make sure that

your basic vaccinations, tetanus-d, ie tetanus

and diphtheria (valid for 10 years) and, where

appropriate, MPR, and polio, are valid. Basic

vaccinations are free of charge and you can get

them from YTHS (by appointment). If you need

information about the necessary vaccinations,

please contact YTHS, tel. 5637 409, Mon-Fri 9 -11.

When you go to your YTHS appointment

please remember to BRING WITH YOU YOUR



EARLIER. Vaccinations which were given during

parental care or at school can be asked from

your local health center (terveyskeskus) . Military

vaccinations are available form the reservists

archive/ Oulu tel 08-1813141

If you need a medical certificate before leaving

for exchange please contact YTHS well in advance

(approx. 2-3 month before exchange). If you are

on medication it is advisable to take with you

a doctor’s certificate (in English) concering the

medication(s) you are taking. It is also advisable to

take a necessary amount of medication with you

from Finland so that you do not need to worry

about prescriptions abroad. For more information

please contact YTHS or visit YTHS’s website

”Travel and Health”.

After you have returned from your exchange, please

contact YTHS if you have following symptoms:

• general symptoms (fever, diarrhea, etc. )

• suspicion of sexually transmitted diseases

• if you are a medical student, receiving university

requires a valid MRSA-test results.

Before your appointment with a nurse/doctor

you need to fill out a preliminary data form

concerning you health. You can either print this

form from the YTHS website ( or get

it from the the YTHS health care center.




14.1. Before the exchange


Get to know the courses offered by to

universities you are applying to

Show your study plan (Learning Agreement) to

your Departmental Coordinator at the University

of Oulu and have it signed- 1 study point

(opintopiste) in the University of Oulu is equal 1

ECTS point (for students going to Europe)

University of Oulu does not have requirements

concerning the amount of study points students

need to gain during the exchange period.

However, in order to receive study support, the

minimum amount is 4,8 study points per month.

The host university may have requirements

concerning the courses and/or the amount of

credits per semester. For more information, you

can contact the International Services or your

Departmental Coordinator.

Check the course information in case of changes

Be flexible and aware of information during the

first semester



Apply for exchange grant in the SoleGRANT

system. The information goes straight to the study

support officials once yuo submit it.

It is compulsory to register to the university,

registering to the student union is optional (except

for students who are going through ISEP or to

UNCG or Washington College)

Apply for a residence permit, from Finland or

from your home country well in advance

Get the European Health Insurance Card form

KELA if you are eligible for it.

If you are on regular medication, take some

medicine with you, as well as check its agailability

in the host country. Check if you have a need for



Take an insurance that covers the whole

duration of your exchange

Insurance of the University of Oulu is not valid

during the exchange period!

Some people think that taking an insurance is

overreacting and even waste of money. However,

every year it proves that for some students

insurance is worth more than gold.


Remember to apply for housing in time!

Finding an apartment varies depending on the

destination and exchange programme. Helpful

information can be found in feedback forms given

by previous exchange

yliopisto/opiskelu/vaihtaripalautteet (in Finnish)

14.2. During the exchange


Tuition fees are not applicable for students

participating in an exchange programme

Students might need to pay, for example,

for teaching materials, membersip fees and

corresponding costs

Take with you extra passport photos


Take with you the European Health Insurance

card as well as your own insurance. Host

university may also provide some kind of insurance

for the students. Find out more as soon as you



If needed, contact International Servicesat the

University of Oulu:, tel

+358 (0)294 484045


The materials can be found, for example on the

university web site:


If you keep a blog during your exchange, please

send us the link.

14.3. Returning from exchange

Take with you a Transcript of Records from your

host univeristy as well as detailed descriptions of

courses, e.g. courses’ literature lists

Transferring the credits is done at the

departments in Oulu


Erasmus students:

• Letter of Confirmation

• Learning Agreement possible Changes to

Learning Agreement

• Transcript of Records

• Feedback at International Services website



University of Oulu /Admissions, Recruitment and

International Services, Linnanmaa, Student Center:

Open Mon-Thurs 9-12

Main building:

Admissions, Recruitment and International


Sanna Heikkinen, tel. 029 448 4047

Riitta Kataja, tel. 029 448 4050

Anja Mäläskä, tel. 029 448 4043

Tytti Haapalehto, tel. 029 448 4042

Anne Talvio, tel. 029 448 4048

Director Kimmo Kuortti, tel. 029 448 4022

Information on international work training and

Erasmus palcements:

Titta Koski,, tel. 0294 483596

General email for all employees: international.




More magazines by this user
Similar magazines