Knights of Columbus Council #9385
General Meeting Minutes
Monday, January 28, 2013
At the Pizza Corral
Attendees: Joe La Mere, Jeff Reiter, Peter Tabor, Tom Hundt, Mike Bruha, Dave Hawes, Gary
Dvoracek and John Frie.
Meeting was called to Order by Grand Knight, Joe La Mere at 7:01 pm with a prayer.
1. TREASURER’S REPORT
• Pete Tabor reported on our Savings/ CD Accounts.
2. FINANCIAL SECRETARY’S REPORT
• Gary Dvoracek reported that he had sent out 143 statements and have 58 paided and
returned so far.
3. MEMBERSHIP DIRECTOR’S REPORT
Gary Dvoracek reported that Ed Walker and Fred Lanzel have been issued
Honorary Membership cards.
Qualifications for Honorary Membership – May be 70 years of age and 25 years
of continuance membership.
1. State Raffle – Tom Bertram
i. No Report
2. Tootsie Roll Drive – April 26 th – 28 th , 2013
i. MikeBruha and Todd Knutson will co-chair the event. Dick Cantlon has
resigned. Joe La Mere wanted to Thank Dick for all his years of service with
the Drive. It has been a great success.
3. State Meeting is April 27-28 in Wisconsin Dells
i. Jeff Reiter and Joe La Mere will be attending this year.
ii. History Book deadline is February 1 st . A huge thank you goes out to Fred
Lanzel Gary Devoracek and Tom Hundt for their work on this project.
4. Holmen Free Throw Contest – Brian Clements
i. The Free throw contest was be Friday, January 11 th .
ii. 25 participants (2 girls/ 23 boys). It was down from 2012 (38 participants (30
iii. Districts will be February 2 nd at 10:00 am at Saint Patrick’s in Onalaska.
iv. State will be March 17 th in Wisconsin Rapids at Assumption High School.
5. Christmas Poster Contest
i. Plaques and Certificates will be handed out, January 30 th by Joe La Mere and
6. Super Bowl Breakfast
i. Breakfast will be Sunday, February 3 rd . Dave reported that he has gotten all the
supplies form Sam’s club and Kwik Trip.
ii. Tom Hundt will contact Pat Bruggen about getting volunteers for the Youth
Group for the Breakfast.
7. State Bowling Tounrament
i. Jerry Glentz is working on getting bowlers together.
ii. The Tournament is March 9-10, 2013 in Sun Prairie.
1. Boy Scouts – Parvuli Dei Award
• Joe LaMere will begin the process on Sundays, (February 24, March 24, and April 28)
from Noon to 1:00 pm at the Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton.
2. Work Projects – Tom Hundt
• Tom Hundt reported that we are looking at getting the handicap ramp done and a quotes
for the Church facia. He has talked with Tom Garibaldi about getting a quote for fixing
the wood of the facia.
3. Senior Breakfast
• Pete Tabor attended. There were 32 members at cost of $104.00 for lunch. Mike Bruha,
Todd Knutson, and Ken Proctor from our council attended.
4. State Grants
• The Dwyer Family was issued their check by Joe La Mere
• Lynn Bailey was issued her check by Jeff Hammes. Joe La Mere told the touching story
that Jeff had told him about the moment.
a. Upcoming 40 TH anniversary of Roe vs. Wade
b. La Crosse Chapter of Right for Life
1. January 19 st – Sponsoring a peaceful demonstration
At Gundersen Lutheran from 10:00 am – 11:00 am.
2. Deacon Ludick will be having Holy Hour for Life from 11:30-12:30
Sunday, January 21 ST
2. Annual Appreciation Banquet
a. The Banquet will Sunday, April 7 th at the Town of Holland. Dr. Kite, from Viterbo
University’s Servant Leadership Program, has agreed to by our guest speaker. Reception
will start at 5:30 pm and Dinner at 6:30 pm
1. Grand Knight Training looking at April 20 or May 4 at St. Patricks
2. Does anyone have an interest in the KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS SUBSTANCE ABUSE
AWARENESS POSTER CONTEST
3. February 17 th at St. Patrick’s is a 2 nd and 3 rd degree ceremonies. Second degree starts as 12:30 -
1:00. Is there anyone interested in assisting our members.
KNIGHT OF THE MONTH
Dr. Mark Hein
• For his generous support of the Parish and Knights. Mark had helped with moving
furniture in the parish offices after the new carpet was installed, worked many KC
events, and is a major sponsor for the 2013 liturgical calendar and KC newsletter
• Making the work counter unit in religious education office.
FAMILY OF THE MONTH
Deacon Matthew and Denise Ludick
• They are very active in the parish and have hosted marriage preparation workshops.
They assist with the food pantry and Deacon Matthew’s new appointment to work with
our Parish fulltime.
ANYONE IN SICK OR DISTRESS
Fred Lanzel took a basket to Francis Brown has he recovered from his hip surgery.
Dan McHugh is still having more procedures done.
Tom Hundt with the passing of his Father-in-law and Uncle David Hundt.
Eugene Van Roy with his surgery.
Jeff Reiter reported that today Dave Schielbe passed. Arrangements pending.
NEXT GENERAL MEETING – February 10, 2013
NEXT OFFICERS’ MEETING – February 25, 2013
Meeting was called to adjourn by Grand Knight, Joe La Mere at 7:57 pm with a prayer with a moment of silence for