The Modular Platform System by Corus provides a swift
and cost-effective solution to platform construction –
even in the most challenging of site conditions
Care has been taken to ensure that this
information is accurate, but Tata Steel UK
Limited, and its subsidiaries, does not
accept responsibility or liability for errors or
information which is found to be misleading.
Modular platform innovation
Standardised, lightweight components
mean the system can be installed fast
and without lengthy possessions. The
cantilevered design allows the support
structure to be built behind the 1200 mm
line in a green zone.
High quality finish
Galvanised steel and high quality prefinished
components ensure a robust
and long-lasting system that is suitable
for all platform profiles including curved
or tapering platforms.
Railway Infrastructure Services
PO Box 298
York YO1 6YH
Tel +44 (0) 1904 454 600
Fax +44 (0) 1904 454 601
Offices throughout the UK
Addresses lineside build issues
Features and benefits
Majority Green Zone install
Adaptability for future changes
Platform Specification and Technical Capability
Key features and benefits of the Modular Platform System
by Corus include:
• Unique system adjustability – ensuring on-site buildability
and potential to respond to re-gauging.
• Lightweight structure – ensuring ease and speed of
installation and enabling cost-effective construction over
poor ground and tunnels.
• Designed for construction by a single-trade crew using
minimal mechanised plant – reducing timescales, costs
and safety risks and making the system ideal for use with
third rail or OLE lines and on sites with difficult access.
• Standardised, pre-finished components – minimising
installation time and providing built-in adaptability for future
growth and changes.
• Off-site design and manufacture – minimising track access
requirements and enabling accurate prediction of installation
costs and timescales.
• On-site health & safety benefits – The reduced time frame
on site, single trade platform assembly and majority green
zone work all contribute to a statistically safer and reduced
risk work environment.
Key design features of the Modular Platform System by
• Standardised hollow section components in galvanised
steel provide a column and beam structure to support the
• Cantilevered design ensures majority green zone installation.
• Telescopic platform feet and arms mean the system is
uniquely adjustable in all planes.
• Lightweight components reduce foundation impact and
avoid the need for costly and time-consuming ground
treatment measures. Each component requires only a one or
two person lift.
• Modular design enables a dry build using sustainable
• High quality finish to all components contributes to system
robustness and longevity.
• BS 5950 Part 1 2000 & Part 5 1998
– Structural Use of Steelwork in
• BS 6399 Parts 1, 2 & 3 – Loading
• Railway Group Standard GC/RT 5110
– Design Requirements for Structures
• Railway Group Standard GC/RT 5161
– Station Design and Maintenance
• Railway Group Standard GC/RT 5203
– Personal Safety Clearances
• GC/RT Structural Gauging &
• HSE / HMRI Railway Safety Principles
& Guidance Part 2
• BS 6399 Pt 1 1996
• 7.5kN/m2 distributed live loading
• 10kN point load applied over an area
of 200mm x 200mm
• 4.5kN point load applied over an area
of 50mm x 50mm
• If required different load capabilities
can be accommodated
• 315kg/m2 for a typical platform
permanently surfaced with flag paving
• 570kg loading per leg for a typical
platform permanently surfaced with
• DETR Guidance on use of Tactile
• ORR Meeting the needs of disabled
• Horizontal – standard reach of
+50mm / -170mm (range can be
increased if necessary, dependant
upon particular railway construction
• Vertical – typical working range of
+50mm / -50mm
(potential for greater range of
movement if required)