Foreign Direct Investment New Zealand and Asia
UNCTAD and OECD
UNCTAD has produced FDI profiles for 142 individual countries, including New Zealand, which identify
the destinations and sources of outward and inward FDI. However, these profiles cover investments made
between 1994 and 2006, 9 so are somewhat out of date. In this report they have been used simply to
compare New Zealand’s FDI in Asia with that of similar developed economies. In particular the researchers
have made comparisons with Australia, the United States and the United Kingdom, whose FDI profiles
were last published in 2004.
Both UNCTAD and OECD have online, up-to-date datasets that present information on inward and outward
FDI by country and regional groupings. These datasets are accessible to the public and enable useful
FDI comparisons across countries. However, there is no specific information on the activities, sectors or
businesses in which the investments have been made.
Applying the research
Using the data available from Statistics New Zealand, UNCTAD and OECD, the researchers were able to:
• measure the investment flows between and stocks in New Zealand and Asia
• identify the number of New Zealand businesses investing in Asia
• identify the number of Asian businesses investing in New Zealand
• compare New Zealand’s FDI in Asia with its total FDI in other countries and with other countries’
FDI in Asia
• measure the level of trade between Asia and New Zealand.
9 Depending upon when the profile was published. For New Zealand, FDI was identified from 1994 to 2004.
Sourced from www.asianz.org.nz
© ASIA NEW ZEALAND FOUNDATION DECEMBER 2012
PAGE 6 OF 21