PDF: 12866 KB - Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional ...


PDF: 12866 KB - Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional ...


Australian trading fleet:


Coasting trade permit:

BITRE uses as definition of the Australian trading fleet which

includes all vessels above 150 GT which are used to transport

cargo either domestically or internationally (to or from Australia)

and which are owned or operated by Australian entities. The fleet

includes vessels that carry cargo and passengers, but does not

include vessels that carry passengers only.

See also major trading fleet; minor trading fleet.

Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics.

To transport cargo on the Australian coast a vessel must either be

licensed or hold a permit. Being licensed requires that the vessel’s

crew are paid Australian wages while it is trading on the Australian


An unlicensed vessel may be granted a permit if there is inadequate

service (or no service) offered by licensed vessels for that shipping

task, and provided a public interest criteria is satisfied. Permits

can be either cargo or passenger single voyage permits (SVPs) or

cargo continuing voyage permits (CVPs).

SVPs are issued for a single voyage between designated ports for

the carriage of a specified cargo or passengers. CVPs are issued

for a period of up to three months and enable a vessel to carry

specified cargo between specified ports for the duration of that


Continuing voyage permit: See coasting trade permit.


Deadweight tonnage:

Abbreviation of ‘continuing voyage permit’. See coasting trade

permit for more information.

Often abbreviated to ‘DWT’, it is a measure of total carrying

capacity of a vessel in tonnes. It is calculated as the difference

between the vessel’s lightship (unloaded) and its loaded

displacement. As such, it includes the weight of crew, passengers,

fuel, water, and stores as well as cargo.

• 47 •

More magazines by this user
Similar magazines