OFFICIAL MAP AND GUIDE
Whilst on your visit around Liverpool World Heritage City, look out for the details
that tell the story of Liverpool’s maritime and mercantile heritage, such as those
Detail of doors in St.George’s Hall,
William Brown Street
Day, George’s Dock Ventilation Tower,
Lifting gear, Albert Dock
Clock face on Victoria Clock Tower,
Salisbury Dock, Stanley Dock
The Duke of Wellington on his memorial,
William Brown Street
Drinking Fountain inside the Dock Wall,
Prince’s Dock, Stanley Dock
News Room War Memorial, Exchange Flags,
One of the many Cat-heads found in the
Rope Walks area, Lower Duke Street
Welcome to Liverpool, World Heritage City.
Liverpool was inscribed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2004 because
it is the “supreme example of a commercial port at the time of Britain’s greatest
global influence”. The status recognises Liverpool’s Outstanding Universal Value
and the impact it has made upon mankind as a whole.
Liverpool City Council and its partners are committed to conserving the Site’s
cultural heritage whilst also encouraging the city to grow and expand. They seek
to achieve a careful balance between conservation and regeneration, creating
modern heritage and ensuring that “The future is built upon the past.”
The Site consists of six distinctive historic areas:
The Pier Head was the point of departure of millions of migrants from Europe to America
and elsewhere in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Its origins date back to the 18th century,
when the city also played a big part in the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade. These two movements
of people had a major impact on the global population today.
The conservation areas of Albert Dock, and Stanley Dock include monumental warehouses
and historic docks. The vast scale of the warehouses and the variety of commodities that
were stored in them and shipped throughout the world, demonstrate the might of Liverpool’s
commercial power. These areas also offer powerful evidence of innovation in dock construction.
The original “Old Dock” was opened in 1715 and marked the rise of the city as a port.
Part of it can be seen still as an excavation below the Liverpool ONE retail development.
The historic commercial district, centred on Castle Street overlays Liverpool’s seven medieval
streets. It is still home to many banks, shipping-line headquarters, marine insurance companies,
produce exchanges and warehouses, as well as the city’s Georgian Town Hall. Liverpool is a city
built on trade and this is the area where business was historically conducted. There is a marked
absence of medieval structures on these original streets and the quality of these Victorian
temples to commerce reflects the prestige and wealth of businesses at the time.
William Brown Street is the heart of the city’s historic cultural quarter and was endowed
in the 19th century by the city’s Corporation and mercantile classes. Lime Street Station was
an early addition to the world’s first passenger railway line, and became the city’s major gateway
for arrivals on land. Its frontage has recently been restored and a stunning new piazza in front
of the station has opened up views of the magnificent St.George’s Hall.
Lower Duke Street is part of the Rope Walks area, which developed to serve the historic
docks during the 18th century. It is an area of early merchant’s houses and warehouses, laid
out on long straight streets, formerly used for the making of rope. It is now home to a thriving
independent and creative sector.
The Pier Head is the main focal point of Liverpool’s waterfront, especially for passengers arriving
on the River Mersey and is the most recognisable image of the city. The three palatial Edwardian
buildings, the Port of Liverpool Building (1907), the Royal Liver Building (1911), and the Cunard
Building (1916) were all built within the 18th century George’s Dock to face out assertively
across the river and the Atlantic. A fourth striking building is George’s Dock Tunnel Ventilation
Building and Offices (1934) by Herbert Rowse, with its art deco exterior inspired by Egypt.
The Pier Head is also home to many monuments, mostly to commemorate the lives of
those lost at sea, such as Goscombe John’s Memorial to All Heroes of Marine Engine Rooms
(originally commissioned following the sinking of The Titanic in 1912).
The Pier Head is on land entirely reclaimed from the river and has undergone many changes
during its lifetime. Today it is once again a focus of much activity with an award-winning
landscaping design, major events, the new Museum of Liverpool, terminal for the Mersey
Ferry (also home to The Beatles Story), a cruise liner facility and canal link.
1. Liver Building, 1908-11 - Grade I Listed 2..Cunard Building, 1913-16 - Grade 11* Listed Detail,Celestial Globe,Merchant Navy Memorial,
1952 - Grade 11 Listed
3. Port of Liverpool Building, completed
1907 - Grade 11* Listed
4. George’s Dock Tunnel Ventilation Building
and Offices, 1931-34 - Grade 11 Listed
5. Memorial to Heroes of the Marine Engine Room
(Titanic Memorial), Circa 1916 - Grade 11 Listed
The Albert Dock was opened by Prince Albert in 1846. The warehouses are amongst the
earliest examples of fire-proof construction, built of incombustible materials which made
them less liable to catch fire. The warehouses constitute the largest collection of Grade1 listed
buildings in England. They are now home to shops, restaurants, bars, hotels, Tate Liverpool,
The Beatles Story, the Merseyside Maritime Museum and apartments. Tall ships still visit
occasionally and give a reminder of how the dock would have been in its heyday.
This area also includes other historic docks, such as Wapping Dock (and its warehouse),
Dukes Dock, and Canning Graving Dock. It is also home to the Old Dock (1715), the world’s
first commercial enclosed wet dock and the foundation of Liverpool’s trading power.
Mann Island, with its dramatic ensemble of contemporary structures, is also in this area.
6. Albert Dock Warehouses, opened 1846/47 - Grade 1 Listed
7. Albert Dock Traffic Office, 1846/47 - Grade 1 Listed
Canning Half-Tide Dock, 1844 - Grade 11 Listed, Great Western Railway Warehouse, 1850, Museum of Liverpool, 2011,
and Mann Island Development, 2011
The Stanley Dock Conservation Area encompasses two areas of redundant historic docks
which are linked by the Dock Wall (1821-1848). It also includes the flight of canal locks (1848)
which provided the first direct link between the dock system and the Leeds and Liverpool
These docks have always been closed to the public but dramatic views into them can be seen
from the bridge between Prince’s Dock and Prince’s Half-tide Dock and the recently restored
rolling bridge between Stanley Dock and Collingwood Dock. Redevelopment proposals for
this huge site west of the dock wall provide the opportunity to make this fascinating and
highly authentic dockland area accessible to the public.
A “Heritage” Market is held every Sunday in one of the Stanley Dock Warehouses and
provides one of the few opportunities at present to explore the interior of this unaltered
warehouse ensemble which can also be seen from the train on Merseyrail’s Northern Line.
8. Stanley Dock Warehouses, 1855 and 1901
- Grade 11 and Grade 11* Listed
9. Leeds and Liverpool Canal Locks, Circa 1848 - Grade 11 Listed
10. The Dock Wall, 1821-1848 - Grade 11 Listed
The historic commercial district is still the heart of Liverpool’s modern business district, although
changes in shipping and trading practices have resulted in many of them changing from their
original uses. Many of the grand commercial buildings have now been converted to new uses
such as the Adelphi Bank on Castle Street with its striking copper “onion dome”, now a coffee
shop, and The Albany on Old Hall Street, with its prophetic inscription “Time and tide tarry
for no man” in the courtyard, now apartments.
A wide range of architectural styles are in evidence; the early cast iron-framed Oriel Chambers
on Water Street, the steel framed Royal Insurance Building on North John Street and the
American-influenced classicism of India Buildings.
Throughout the area are high quality sculptures, both free-standing, such as the Nelson Memorial
in Exchange Flags and integral to buildings, as on Martin’s Bank Building, Water Street, with its
reliefs depicting Liverpool’s early trade links with Africa.
11. Liverpool Town Hall, 1754, 1792 and 1820 - Grade 1Listed Detail, Frieze from Liverpool Town Hall
12. India Buildings, 1924-31 - Grade 11 Listed 13. Martins Building, 1927-32 - Grade 11 Listed 14. Oriel Chambers, 1864 - Grade 1 Listed
William Brown Street was created in the mid-19th century as the Victorian cultural forum of
the city, and demonstrates the city’s aspirations to emulate the culture of ancient Athens and
Rome. It is the first sight that greets passengers arriving in Liverpool into Lime Street Station.
The newly restored frontage and public concourse outside the Station leads to Harvey Lonsdale
Elmes’ monumental St.George’s Hall (1840-55), which is a masterpiece of neo-classical design.
Its exterior overtly resembles a Greek temple, whilst the interior is more Roman influenced.
It has been comprehensively restored and is open to the public.
The popular attractions of World Museum Liverpool (1860 and 1901), the Walker Art Gallery
(1877) and the Central Library (1879 and currently closed for restoration) make this a major
destination in the city. St.John’s Gardens, with its collection of statues of eminent Victorian
Liverpudlians is the largest green space in the city centre and a pleasant place to escape the
bustle of the city. From here can be seen Herbert Rowse’s entrance portal to the Mersey
Road Tunnel (1934).
16. World Museum of Liverpool and Central Library,
1857-60 - Grade 11* Listed
15. St.George’s Hall, 1840-55 - Grade I Listed
17. The Walker Art Gallery, opened 1877 - Grade 11* Listed
Lower Duke Street is an area of early merchants’ houses and warehouses, built on land
which was only connected to the medieval core of the town when the tidal Pool of Liverpool
was infilled at the beginning of the 18th century. The Queen Anne-style Bluecoat Arts Centre
(1718) in School Lane is the oldest building in Liverpool city centre, the former Royal Institution,
Colquitt Street was originally built as the house of the merchant Thomas Parr and is a fine
example of a merchant’s town house with an adjacent warehouse.
With the closure of the historic docks to the west towards the end of the 20th century,
almost all of the warehouses became redundant and many became derelict, but sustained
programmes of action by public agencies and private business is transforming the area.
It is now a centre for independent shops, bars, restaurants, hotels, and creative industries
who are attracted to its unique mercantile character.
19. The Bridewell, 1861 - Grade 11 Listed
18. The Bluecoat, opened 1718 - Grade I Listed
20. The Royal Institution, 1799 - Grade 11 Listed
GREAT HOWARD ST
Significant buildings in
the World Heritage Site
Port of Liverpool Building
George’s Dock Tunnel Ventilation
Memorial to Heroes of the
Marine Engine Room
Albert Dock Traffic Office
Stanley Dock Warehouses
Leeds and Liverpool Canal Locks
The Dock Wall
Liverpool Town Hall
Oriel Chambers 8
World Museum of Liverpool
and Central Library
The Walker Art Gallery
The Royal Institution
Victoria Clock Tower
For more information on Liverpool’s
World Heritage Site go to
Tourist Information 0151 233 2008
KING EDWARD ST
OLD HALL STREET
All information correct at the time of going to press.
ST NICHOLAS PL
To Stanley Dock
8 9 10
KING EDWARD ST
OLD HALL STREET
Tourist Information Centre
Cruise Liner Terminal
Parking - Disabled
Toilets - Disabled
ALBERT DOCK Area
ST NICHOLAS PL
Museum of Liverpool
CASTLE STREET area
LOWER DUKE STREET area
PIER HEAD area
STANLEY DOCK area
WILLIAM BROWN STREET area
© Crown copyright and database rights 2011 Ordnance Survey 100018351
ORTH JOHN ST
SIR THOMAS ST
SOUTH JOHN ST
The Met Quarter
HANOVER ST HANOVER ST
World Museum of
Liverpool and Central Library
GARDENS St.George’s Hall
ST. JOHNS LANE
WILLIAM BROWN ST
ST. GEORGES PLACE
UPPER FREDERICK ST
GREAT CHARLOTTE ST
The Duke of
PARR ST PARR ST
Lime Street Station
LORD NELSON ST
BACK COLQUITT ST
ST. VINCENT ST
ROSCOE ST ROSCOE ST
UPPER DUKE ST
ST. JAMES ST