O K A N U N I V E R S I T Y
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING AND ARCHITECTURE
CE204 – Fluid Mechanics
Course Schedule Thursday 09:00 – 11:50 (Group 1, D303), 13:00 – 15:50 (Group 2, D303)
Asst. Prof. Dr. Onur AKAY
+90 216 677 1630 Ext.1974
Friday 08:30 – 17:30
Engineering Fluid Mechanics 10 th Edition (SI Version), Donald ELGER, Barbara
WILLIAMS, Clayton CROWE and John ROBERSON, John Wiley & Sons, 2014
Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics, Bruce MUNSON, Donald YOUNG, Theodore
OKIISHI, Wade HUEBSCH, John Wiley & Sons, 2010 ISBN: 978-0-470-39881-4
Fluid Mechanics, Atıl BULU, İstanbul Teknik Üniversitesi Yayınları, ISBN: 975-561-
Akışkanlar Mekaniği ve Hidrolik Problemleri, Cemil ILGAZ, Emin KARAHAN, and
Atıl BULU, Çağlayan Kitapevi, ISBN: 975-436-038-3
Akışkanlar Mekaniği, Şükrü GÜNEY, Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi Yayınları No:204
Students are expected to read and study the related sections in the textbook before
coming to class each week.
1. Liquids and Gases, The Continuum Assumption, Dimensions and Units,
Dimensionless Groups, Dimensional Homogeneity
2. Mass and Weight, Compressibility, Thermal Energy, Viscosity
3. Newtonian Fluids, Vapor Pressure, Surface Tension/Capillary Action
4. Forces in Fluids, Hydrostatic Condition, Pressure Variation with Elevation,
5. Hydrostatic Forces on Plane Surfaces
6. Pressure Prism
7. Hydrostatic Forces on Curved Surfaces
8. Kinematics of Fluids, Descriptions of Fluid Flow
10. Acceleration Field, Euler’s Equation, Rigid-Body Motion
11. Bernoulli Equation and its Applications
12. Control Volume Approach, Rate of Flow, Mass Flow Rate, Continuity Equation
13. Momentum Equation, Common Applications
14. Energy Equation, Energy Eq. vs. Bernoulli Eq.
Tentative Midterm Exam Week: 07 – 11 April 2014
The exact midterm date and time will be announced by the Dean’s Office.
Please check the announcement boards located at the entrance of the building
Course Grade = 50% Midterm + 50% Final
- Each student is expected to participate discussion sections of each class actively.
Sleeping, reading newspapers or any other media, listening MP3 devices or dealing
with anything else other than the class related activities will not be tolerated!
- The use of cell phones are not permitted in the exam rooms. Cell phones brought into
the exam room must be switched off.
- You are not permitted to have a MP3 player/iPod or any other electronic
communication device turned on in the exam room.
- Calculator, pencil, eraser, etc. exchange between students is not allowed during the
- You will need a calculator for in-class applications and exams.
- Programmable calculators, graphics calculators and calculators that have the
capability to communicate with other devices are not permitted in exams.
- Students are responsible to bring their own calculator into the exam room. Calculator
exchange between students is not allowed during the exam.
- Students at Okan University are expected to maintain the highest standards of
academic conduct. Plagiarism is an unacceptable behavior against academic honesty.
- Copying from someone else's paper during the exam is a flagrant violation of
- An infraction will result in the filing of a violation report and a grade of FF.