How to Use OpenSDA
In the latest version of CoIDE, CooCox supports the FRDM-KL25Z from Freescale.
The FRDM-KL25Z is an ultra-low-cost development platform enabled by Kinetis L Series KL1
and KL2 MCUs families built on ARM® Cortex-M0+ processor. The board integrates an
onboard debugger called OpenSDA, which supports CMSIS-DAP.
This document mainly describes how to use OpenSDA to download and debug in CoIDE and
2 Update firmware and install related software
2.1 Update firmware
a) To use CMSIS-DAP, you need to download the firmware, which supports the CMSIS-DAP.
Go to http://www.keil.com/appnotes/docs/apnt_232.asp to download the
APNT_232.ZIP, which contains the CMSIS-DAP.S19.
b) Update the firmware:
1) Press and hold the Reset button SW1 and connect the OpenSDA’ USB connector to PC.
2) Release the reset button when you see the green LED D4 flashing once per second.
3) A removable drive will be visible in the host file system with a volume label of
4) Drag/drop or copy/paste the firmware to the BOOTLOADER drive.
5) Unplug the USB cable and plug it in again. The D4 will flash once and then turns off.
6) The firmware update is completed. OpenSDA is working in CMSIS_DAP mode.
For details, please refer to http://www.keil.com/appnotes/files/apnt_232.pdf
c) The original firmware for OpenSDA is provided by P&E, which does not support CMSIS-
DAP, if you want to switch back to the original firmware, you can download it from
http://www.pemicro.com/opensda/ and perform the operations mentioned above.
2.2 Install related software
To use CMSIS-DAP, you need to download and install the Microsoft Visual C++2010 SP1
Redistributable Package according to the operating system. The download links are:
• http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspxid=8328 (Windows 32bit OS)
• http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspxid=13523 (Windows 64bit OS)
2.3 Configure OpenSDA in CoIDE
1. Launch CoIDE, create or open a project, and then click the Configuration button.
2. Select the CMSIS-DAP, and then close the Configuration.
3. Connect OpenSDA, click download or debug button, and then start your development.
2.4 Configure OpenSDA in CoFlash
1. In CoFlash, select CMSIS-DAP as Adapter, then execute program command: