International Affairs Department
City of Torino
Torino: the New Deal
After a century of strong development, based
on manufacturing and car industry, during the
’80s’ Torino experienced a deep crisis related
to the demographic and industrial decline. It
then started a new positive deal.
Since the 1990’s Torino has been following a
path that has transformed it from an industrial
capital - a sector which continues to play a
fundamental role - into a pole of innovation,
culture and improved quality of life.
• 1995 New Town Master Plan
• 2000 First Strategic Plan
• 2006 Winter Olympics
• 2006 Second Strategic Plan, focused on knowledge and
Torino: reshaping the urban fabric
Torino’s quest for a new identity as a driving centre
for culture, innovation and quality of life brought the
urban fabric through a process of reshaping.
In such a process the creation of cultural centres
played a crucial role in exploiting the spaces deriving
from the post-industrial transformation.
Old Spaces = New Opportunities
Opportunities do not follow a recurrent pattern.
Planning, implementation and financing of new
cultural centres followed different paths, according
to local specificities. Different areas of the city were
affected as well.
It once was a huge automobile factory, constructed by
Fiat. Built from 1916 and opened in 1923, the design
(by young architect Mattè Trucco) was unusual in that
it had five floors, with raw materials going in at the
ground floor, and cars built on a line that went up
through the building. Finished cars emerged at rooftop
level, where there was a rooftop test track. It was the
largest car factory in the world at that time.
• Multifunction structure for fairs, congresses and
• Shopping mall and multiplex cinema
1985, shared capital society leaded by FIAT. Project
awarded to Renzo Piano.
Fondazione Sandretto Re Rebaudengo
The seat in Torino of the Fondazione
Rebaudengo once was a plant of the
Fergat factory, hosting presses for the
production of alloy wheels.
The building, entirely reshaped both
externally and internally, hosts the
Fondazione Rebaudengo, observatory
on young artists and on artistic avantgardes.
The ancient building and the land have
been assigned to a private foundation -
loan to use, 99 years - which
autonomously restored them.
Former heat-producing power plant of the
The building, whose recovery has been directly
followed by the artist Mario Merz himself, until
his death, nowadays hosts his huge collection of
works and promotes initiatives in the field of
Former property of the City. Restored by the City
then assigned to a private foundation - loan
Officine Grandi Riparazioni
OGR are one of the last attestations of the
industrial past of Torino. Built from 1885 and
1895 on 190.000 sm, they’ve been hosting the
garages in which locomotives and carriages were
repaired. The H-shaped building with is
monumental architecture and its cast iron pillars
nave is an authentic “cathedral of industry”.
The abandoned industrial buildings have been
converted into tertiary structures and exhibition
spaces. The complex of the old OGR hosts the
expansion of the Politecnico di Torino: the
Cittadella Politecnica. A few metres further
north, the H-shaped building will be the heart of
the 150th anniversary celebrations of the
Unity of Italy, in 2011.
Owned by the national railways company, patronized by the Superintendence of Cultural Heritage. Loaned for use
to the City, for 30 years, which has made the interventions to make it fit for use. Waiting for a private bank
Foundation (Fondazione CRT) to buy and fully restore it - legal procedure ongoing.
Fonderie Teatrali Limone
The Fonderie Limone were founded in 1924 by Giuseppe Limone and in its sheds were fused bronze, aluminium and cast
iron. After the crisis in the sixties a long period of abandoning begun.
In 1997 the idea of transforming it into a cultural and theatrical performance factory was formalized. It is nowadays a
unique lab for planning and elaborating ideas, a tool exploited by the theatre (namely the Teatro Stabile di Torino), by
arts in general and by the local community.
Property of the City of Moncalieri, restored with EU funds and then assigned to Teatro Stabile di Torino - dowry: thanks
to the assignation Moncalieri became partner of the TST.
Casa del Teatro Ragazzi
Former industrial complex, built in the beginning
of the 20 th century, which hosted several
activities: garages, electrical systems factories.
A public and open space dedicated to creativity,
to theatre and to young people.
The City restored it and then assigned it - loan
for use - to a newborn private foundation putting
together all youth theatre companies of the
territory. The City became partner and entered
Cineporto & Museo A come Ambiente
Former Colongo plant - a woollen mill of 9.400 sm, large as an entire block.
Former Michelin plant.
A service hub for filmmakers and film studios.
A museum/lab suggesting good practices on environmental issues.
Assigned to Film Commission - of which the City is partner together with the Piedmont Region - who financed and
managed the restoration.
Assigned to a private foundation after restoration - loan for use -. The City is president of the foundation.