Table of Contents
Welcome to the first issue of CATIA
handbook, we are excited to launch
the first edition to provide the
inside tips and tricks of CATIA.
The handbook is a collective
knowledge and experience sharing
handbook created by our team of
engineers with years of experiences
in CATIA. We hope this pioneer
launch will connect MAWEA and
valued customers to create a
community to learn, upgrade and
use our creative knowledge in
Let the sharing begins……
Register Registry in CATIA
Downgrade CATIA file to lower release
Create CATIA Admin environment
Network License setup and configuration
Setup Drafting Standard in admin mode
LUM End of support & Transition to DSLS
Respect Listen Care
Register Registry in CATIA
a) To FORCE CATIA to open in specific release
b) Missing of CATIA File preview in window explorer
c) Missing of CATIA icon in window explorer
• Having CATIA installed in multiple release e.g. R19,20,21
• When double click to open CATIA file direct from the window explorer, by default it will open
the file in the LATEST release.
• To avoid data save in highest release and have problem to open in lower release later, we
can enforce CATIA system open in the specific release.
Good practice to open CATIA file is to start the CATIA application- in specifying the
release needed. Then File Open or drag and drop the file from explorer
• Missing of CATIA File preview in window explorer
• Missing of CATIA icon in window explorer
Register Registry in CATIA
1. Go to my computer, C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\B20 (R19,20,21)\intel_a\code\bin
2. Copy the above location
3. Go to command prompt. Then paste the location copied just now in the command
prompt after type cd.
4. Then type cnext / regserver and press Enter.
Remarks: spacing between words must be same as below.
5. Then go to start-----> run. Type cnext /regserver then enter.
6. Let the command run. After finish loading for the run, restart the workstation.
Downgrade CATIA file to Lower Release
In case you have save your data in a higher release,
you can downgrade the data into lower release through
downward compatibility window.
The data DO NOT have history after downgrading.
1. Go to start --- all programs --- CATIA --- tools --- batch management V5R19.
(Ex: file Release 19 downgrading)
2. Double click on the downward compatibility
3. Select convert, and the CATIA release.
Example: V5R18 to be achieved during the downgrading.
4. Click on the file selection, select member to insert the file which needs to be downgraded.
5. Click on the input directory and target directory, then click on change and select the
location for the output to be saved. To ease the searching of the downgraded file, please
store the file in a specific folder or desktop.
6. Select ok, and then click on Run to perform downgrading. Command prompt will pop out
and close after the downgrading is done. The final file will save at the location that set
previously. (example: desktop)
TO create CATIA ADMIN environment
This is to allow the user to configure their drawing
setting in the Admin environment. Once the setting
has configured it will apply to all users.
1. GO to Start>All Programs>CATIA>Tools>Environment Editor V5R18.
(if you are using other release then choose the corresponding Environment Editor)
2. Choose CATIA.V5R18.B18 and click YES.
3. Search for CATUserSettingPath, right click and choose Edit Variable.
4. Highlight the Value and right click Copy, and Cancel.
5. Search for CATReferenceSettingPath, right click and choose Edit Variable.
6. Right click and Paste in Value.
7. Repeat step 5 and step 6 for CATCollectionStandard
8. Right click on CATIA V5R18 icon choose Properties, highlight all the words in Target and
right click choose Copy.
9. Start > Run, and right click Paste. Add - admin after the words CNEXT.exe and click OK.
10. Result is as follow
"C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\B18\intel_a\code\bin\CATSTART.exe" -run "CNEXT.exe
-admin" -env CATIA.V5R18.B18 -direnv "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
11. When you are running in Administration Mode, a
message as shown above will pop up after CATIA
is opened. Click OK.
12. Go to Tools > Standards. Choose drafting in the Category and the Standard which you
want to modify the arrow size. (example: ISO.xml)
13. Go to ISO > Dress-up > Symbols > Filled Arrow. Increase the value of the Length to
14. Click on Save As New, save the file to the following directory:
C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\B18\intel_a\resources\standard\drafting
15. Go to File > Page Setup. Click Update and OK
(this is to visualize how big is the arrow head after increase the value of Length)
Create NEW symbol in CATIA drafting
In case if you want to create new 2D symbol which is
not provided in the default selection, you can create it
after entering the Catia Drafting Admin mode.
1. Go to Tools --- Standards. Select category as drafting, file type for example ISO.xml.
Expand the ISO tree, select Engineering Symbols.
2. Click on New to insert new symbol.
3. Rename the term of the new symbol, select type of font in the second tab and code
number for the symbol that need to be inserted.
(For example: Symbol name Alpha, font type Times New Roman, code number alpha 03b1)
Symbol code number
Insert new name
4. Then click on Save As New to save the new standard. For example: Customize symbol .xml
5. When open a new drawing, select Customize symbol for the standard.
6. In the text editor, the new symbol Alpha is shown using the insert symbol icon. Select the
symbol to insert in the drafting text.
Network License Configuration
(a) To set up Catia license server using License Use
(b) To set up Catia license client using License Use
License Server Configuration:
1. Go to start --- all programs --- license use runtime --- service manager tool.
2. Go to service --- stop if the service shown in green. (If it is in red, then exit the service by
selecting Service – Exit.)
3. Go to start --- all programs --- license use runtime --- configuration tool
4. Go to Configure As tab, check the Network License Server (NetworkLS).
5. Go to Direct Binding tab, insert the ip address or host name of the server workstation,
then click add.
6. Go to Start Up tab, check the Start services
at system startup.
7. Close the window, click yes on the message pop out the save the configuration.
8. Then click OK to end up the tool configuration.
9. Go to service manager tool again, select service --- start then exit service manager tool.
10. Go to start --- all programs --- license use runtime --- basic license tool.
11. Go to products --- enroll --- single product.
12. Click import, browse the license file in (C:\IFOR\LS\CONF).
13. Click ok to end up the product enrollment.
14. Then the license will appear in basic license tool.
License Client Configuration
1. Go to start --- all programs --- license use runtime --- configuration tool.
2. Go to Configure As tab, check the Network License Client.
3. Go to Direct Binding tab, insert the ip address and host name of the server then click Add.
4. Close the window and click yes to save the configuration.
The Support of LUM 1 licensing technology will end
on December 31st, 2013.
This technology has been replaced by DSLS 2 ,
which is already available in all V5 releases since
V5R21, and in all V6 releases.
Dassault Systèmes is recommending customers
and partners who currently use LUM as a
licensing system for products under support, to
migrate to the DSLS licensing system in 2013, if
and when available.
You can get more detailed information in the document
"REMINDER: LUM licensing technology End
of Support" published on January 4th 2013 on your
DS Support Portal (private access).
Customer Support Centers remain the primary focal
point of customers/partners for support questions
related to licensing.
ARE YOU READY FOR V6 WITH
PLM 2.0 ONLINE COMMUNITY
Virtual Product Design
Global Collaborative Lifecycle Management
Online 3D Lifelike Experience
MAWEA SALES TEAM
MAWEA SUPPORT TEAM
MAWEA TRAINING TEAM
MAWEA INDUSTRIES SDN. BHD. (356204-A)
A member of IME Group Of Companies
30D, Jln PJS 1/46, Tmn. Petaling Utama, 46000 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.
Tel: +603 - 7783 3459 Fax: +603 - 7781 6818
CERTIFIED TO ISO 9001:2008
CERT NO : AR 5344