Glenasmole Roads

ciarandunbar
  • No tags were found...

Glenasmole Roads

GLENASMOLE ROADSEditor’s NoteThe material in this book is taken from a manuscript which was written,rewritten and updated in the period 1950 - 1985. Much of the materialappeared in a Patrick Healy article The Valley of Glenasmole read to the OldDublin Society on 15th March 1954 and subsequently published in theDublin Historical Record in 1961. Most of the photographs used in thebook are from the author’s slide collection.Minimal editing has been carried out to reflect more recent developmentsand changes. Imperial measurements have been used throughout thepublication.1 inch = 2.54 centimeters (0.0254 meters)1 foot = 30.48 centimeters (0.3048 meters)1 yard = 91.44 centimeters (0.9144 meters)There are 12 inches in 1 foot, 3 feet in 1 yard and 1,760 yards in a mile.Crest of South Dublin CountyThe Crest or Coat of Arms of South Dublin County reflects the ancienthistory of the area, its geographical features and the work of the CountyCouncil. The motto "Ag seo ár gCúram –This we hold in Trust" is anadmonition to value, to preserve and to develop the economic, social,environmental, cultural and heritage assets of the area both for our owntime and for future generations.ii


The Valley of Glenasmole . . . . . 1Bohercolyn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2Execution of the Kearneys . . . . 4Bohernabreena . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6Friarstown Glen . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9Bohernabreena Water Works . 10Castlekelly . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13Cobbes’s Lodge . . . . . . . . . . . . 16The Shed Stone . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18Upper Reaches of the Dodder 19Cunard . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21St. Santan’s . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22Glassamucky . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26Ann Mount . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26Knockanteedan . . . . . . . . . . . . . 33Piperstown . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 33Allenton and Killininny . . . . . 37Oldcourt House . . . . . . . . . . . . 39St. Columcille’s Well . . . . . . . . 40Orlagh . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 42Dollymount House . . . . . . . . . 43GLENASMOLE ROADSContentsIntroduction by Mayor Eamonn Maloney . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . iEditor’s Note . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . iiCrest of South Dublin County . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . iiContents . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . iiiAcknowledgements . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ivPaddy Healy – An Appreciation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . vGlenasmole RoadsiiiMount Pelier . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 44Standing Stone . . . . . . . . . . . . . 48Piperstown Glen . . . . . . . . . . . . 48The Military Road . . . . . . . . . . 49Featherbed Bog . . . . . . . . . . . . . 52Dá Dearga’s Hostel . . . . . . . . . 53Summits in the Area . . . . . . . . 55Seefingan Mountain . . . . . . . . . 56Seefin Mountain . . . . . . . . . . . . 57Corrig and Seahan Mountains 58Ballinascorney . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 60Killakee Estate . . . . . . . . . . . . . 63Mount Venus . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 66The Dodder below Friarstown 67Bawnville . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 69Firhouse Road . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 70City Weir and Bella Vista . . . . 72Field Cross . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 74Delaford . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 74Cherryfield . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 75Author’s Acknowledgements . 76Appendix I — Footnotes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 79Appendix II — Bibliography . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 81Appendix III — Liosta logainmneacha agus ainmneacha páirceannaa bhailigh Tomás Maher agus daltaí ó Bhunscoil Ghleann Na Smól –List of palcenames and field names collected by Tomás Maher andpupils of Glenasmole National School. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 87


GLENASMOLE ROADSAcknowledgementsTHANKS are due to a number of people. Firstly, to the latePaddy Healy for his meticulous research, his informativewritings and his important collection of slides and photographswhich have formed this book. Initial access to Paddy ’s collectionof manuscripts and slides was graciously facilitated andsupported by a number of people, most notably Michael Fewerand Con Manning. Síle Coleman of the County Library in Tallaghtwas a great support in preparing the book for publication. JohnMcAleer is responsible for its professional design and layout.The greatest debt is owed to Peter Healy who in the sharing natureof his late brother Paddy, gave access to Paddy's papers so thatothers could share Paddy's great knowledge and deep insights.Rob Goodbody and the Irish Times kindly granted permission toreproduce Paddy Healy —An Appreciation.Thanks to Tomás Maher and the pupils of Glenasmole NationalSchool who permitted the inclusion of a list of placenames andfield names they had collected.We are grateful to the board of the National Library of Ireland forpermission to reproduce a photograph on page 41 of peoplepraying at St. Colmcille’s Well in 1954. A map drawn by PaddyHealy based on an Ordnance Survey map is reproduced on page3 courtesy of Ordnance Survey Ireland.Go raibh míle maith agaibh go léir.iv


GLENASMOLE ROADSPaddy Healy An AppreciationPADDY Healy, archaeologist, localhistorian and friend, has died after a longlife devoted to Ireland's past. Through hiswork on archaeological excavations in Dublincity and elsewhere, his meticulous collectionof information, his support of varioussocieties and his encouragement to youngergenerations, his influence has beenwidespread and invaluable.Born in Canada in 1916 of Irish emigrant parents, Paddy moved withhis family to Dublin at the age of five. After schooling in HaddingtonRoad and Marino, he studied building construction in Bolton StreetCollege, where his subjects included land surveying and technicaldrawing; both were to prove important in his later career. Aftergraduation he worked as a silkscreen printer in Modern DisplayArtists while he took night classes under Sean Keating at the NationalCollege of Art.During the Emergency Paddy served in the Army, then worked as apainter and decorator for a time. An important change came in 1949when he joined the staff of the Land Commission as a surveyor. Aftereight years he moved to the Forestry Division, again as a surveyor.In 1952 he began to attend Professor Seán P. Ó Riordáin's lectures inarchaeology in University College Dublin as an occasional student.He joined the UCD Archaeological Society, becoming its vicepresident,and his contact with the college led him to work as part ofProfessor Ó Riordáin's team on the excavation of the Rath of theSynods at Tara during his annual holidays. In 1967 he joinedBreandán Ó Riordáin's team on the second excavation at High Streetin Dublin. At this stage Paddy made a major decision to abandon thesecurity of his job with the Forestry Division to work full-time onarchaeological excavations. He went on to work on excavations atWinetavern Street in 1969, Christchurch Place between 1972 and 1979,and from 1976 in Fishamble Street.v


GLENASMOLE ROADSWhen the work on the Wood Quay site became controversial, Paddystood firmly on the side of archaeology. His quiet but determinedmanner was a great source of encouragement to his colleagues as hesat in on the site, and he was the author of a poem written about thecontroversy and sold to raise funds for the campaign.During the 1970s Paddy Healy acted as a contract archaeologistproviding advice and working on excavations. Most importantly, heprovided lists of monuments and sites of archaeological interest inCounty Dublin in the mid-1970s to assist in the preparation of theCounty Development Plan and the area action plans which precededthe development of the western new towns of Tallaght,Lucan/Clondalkin and Blanchardstown.Over the years he wrote papers and articles for a variety ofpublications, including several in which he described for the first timemonuments and artefacts which he had discovered. Some of thesewere early grave slabs from the Rathdown area of south Dublin andnorth Wicklow and these became the topic of his MA thesis presentedto NUI Galway under the supervision of Professor Etienne Rynne.Paddy, in turn, was the subject of a publication when 29 colleaguesand friends contributed papers in his honour for publication in abook, Dublin and Beyond the Pale, edited by Con Manning.Among the organisations to benefit greatly from his membershipwere the Old Dublin Society, the Royal Society of Antiquaries, theDublin Archaeological Society, Friends of Medieval Dublin, the IrishArchitectural Archive and the Rathmichael Historical Society.Paddy Healy was laid to rest on December 11th last in the cemetery atMount Venus in the Dublin Mountains, close to historical andarchaeological sites that he had investigated and overlooking the citywhich he had loved so much.R.G.Irish Times, Monday 21st January 2001vi


Glenasmole RoadsPatrick HealySOUTH DUBLIN LIBRARIESC


Glenasmole RoadsPatrick HealySOUTH DUBLIN LIBRARIESC


GLENASMOLE ROADSMap of the Valley of Glenasmole drawn by Patrick Healybased on Ordnance Survey Map by kind permission ofOrdnance Survey Ireland Permit No. 8234.3


GLENASMOLE ROADSAfter their conviction for the murder of Kinlan, the Kearneys wereescorted from Kilmainham by a troop of Dragoons to this fieldwhere three gallows had been erected. Thousands of the countrypeople had assembled to witness the execution and theirsympathy would appear to have been all on the side of theconvicted men. When the executions were over the bodies weretaken back and buried in Kilmainham Jail. 6Kearney’s House at Piperstown in 1976.The Kearney family took an active part in the revolutionarymovements of that period. William Kearney, one of the sons, whokept a public house in Bohernabreena, had been out fighting in1798. After the failure of the 1803 Rising, Robert Emmet and someof his comrades took refuge in Kearney’s house. They were hidingin the attic when the house was surrounded by soldiers andyeomanry under Mr. Latouche and Mr. Shaw. These twogentlemen entered the house and Mr. Shaw was about to climb thestairs when Mrs. Kearney dissuaded him, by assuring him that itwas unsafe.This was literally true, as one of the men was lying on the floor ofthe attic with his finger on the trigger of his blunderbuss waitingfor a head to appear. The military then left the house withoutfurther trouble. 75


GLENASMOLE ROADSAccording to Malachy Horan, Kinlan was land agent to PonsonbyShaw, and a hard man on the tenants, so it would appear in thecircumstances that his murder was probably done from bothpolitical and agrarian motives. In the year 1933 a skeleton wasfound in a sandpit near Tallaght which was believed to be theremains of the murdered man. 8BohernabreenaFurther along towards Glenasmole the road passes throughBohernabreena. This townland name, translated as “The Road ofthe Hostel” had led such scholars as O’Curry and MacNeill tobelieve that this was the location of Dá Dearga’s hostel which is sodramatically described in the old saga The Destruction of DáDearga’s Hostel. According to Henry Morris, however, thisplacename simply described the road which led to the hostel andthe hostel itself was located at the head of the glen, near the sourceof the Dodder. He makes a very strong case as far as topographyand place-names are concerned but fails to justify the building ofa hostel in such a remote area.A ring fort situated in a field 400 yards east of Bohernabreena House.6


GLENASMOLE ROADSFour hundred yards to the east of Bohernabreena House there is afine ring fort in a field of furze with a spring of water beside it. Itis 30 yards in diameter and surrounded by a bank. The area insideis levelled and bears evidence of having been tilled at some distantperiod.The straight portion of road leading to Fort Bridge over theDodder was built about 1922 to avoid the steep rise pastBohernabreena Chapel. This chapel, which is dedicated to St.Anne, was built in 1868. When it was exactly a century old itbecame the Parish church for the newly created parish ofBohernabreena.Duncan’s Map of 1821 showing a footbridge and ford where Fort Bridge is nowlocated7


GLENASMOLE ROADSFort Bridge, over the Dodder, was built soon after 1821 and onDuncan’s map published in that year there was a ford shown atthis point with a footbridge beside it. Below the bridge is a verydeep hole in the river bed known as the sheep hole, into which thewater is precipitated over a high weir. A quarter of a mile belowthe bridge there was formerly a petrifying spring, that is, the watercontained a quantity of carbonate of lime, which, trickling throughthe moss and grass transformed them into hard stone. This springcan no longer be located and may have been diverted when thenew road was made. 9 Handcock, in his history of Tallaght, 1876,states that he took blocks of this stone for rockeries. Some yearsago, on a visit to Sally Park, Handcock’s old home, blocks of thisstone could still be seen lying about the garden.Fort Bridge, built after 1821 replaced a ford and a footbridge.8


GLENASMOLE ROADSFriarstown GlenBeside the bridge is the entrance to Friarstown Glen, a picturesquedefile containing a rivulet which rises near Piperstown. This ispart of the demesne of Friarstown, or Friarsland as it was formerlycalled. Down to the time of the Reformation the Friars Minor ofDublin held land here, which was at that time granted to theLuttrell and Talbot families. 10At the end of the eighteenth century this demesne was occupiedby Ponsonby Shaw, brother of Sir Robert Shaw of Bushy Park. Heexpended a large sum of money on improving the grounds andconstructed walks, grottoes and waterfalls. He also made anartificial lake by building a dam about 40 feet high across the glen.Shortly after it was finished the dam burst and destroyed all hisimprovements. Another owner, Captain Bayley, later repaired it. 11There were remains of the bridges and the dam. The lake silted upand the area was used as a refuse dump. The dump closed in 1997after 22 years operation.Friarstown House in 1977.9


GLENASMOLE ROADSThe old house occupied by Shaw still stands. It is in poorcondition. It had been much altered in appearance by theenlarging of the windows and the pebble dashing of the outside.The back of the house and out-offices still retain much morecharacter and some of the coach houses still display their oldGeorgian Gothic adornments.Outhouses at the rear of Friarstown House in 1977.Bohernabreena Water WorksJust beyond Fort Bridge is the entrance to the water works. Thesereservoirs were constructed between 1883 and 1887 for the dualpurpose of supplying Rathmines with drinking water and ofensuring a constant supply of water to the many mills along theRiver Dodder. There were at that time forty-five mills served bythe Dodder water, of which fifteen were flour mills, the remainderconsisting of paper, paint, cardboard, cotton, saw, glue and dyemills, as well as distilleries, breweries, malt houses, foundries,tanneries, and a bacon curing factory. 1210


GLENASMOLE ROADSThe works consisted of two impounding reservoirs, the upper orclear water reservoir and the lower or mill-owners’ compensatoryreservoir. The gathering ground consisted partly of bog-landwhich comprised the mountainous area around Castlekelly andpartly of stony land free from peat which lay on both sides of thelower end of the glen. It was from the latter area that the clearwater was collected into the upper reservoir for drinkingpurposes. The peaty water off the former area bypassed the upperreservoir in an artificially constructed channel. At the upper end ofthe mill-owners’ compensation reservoir there was a gauge whichpermitted 1,500 cubic feet of water per minute to pass into apipeline through which it was conveyed into the natural riverchannel below the lower dam. The surplus water was divertedinto the lower lake where it could be held until such time as it wasrequired. 13 Entrance to the Water Works in 2006.11


GLENASMOLE ROADSFor about a mile from the entrance gate the road through the waterworks follows the winding river and after passing a gate andlodge enters a wooded area below the lower dam. From here onthe road skirts the edge of the lower reservoir which is surroundedby trees growing right down to the waters edge. At the upper damthe road divides, a branch following each bank of the upperreservoir. At the upper end they emerge close together atCastlekelly, two and a half miles from Fort bridge.Upper Lake showing the valve house and dam.12


GLENASMOLE ROADSCastlekellyThis district was visited in 1837 by Eugene O’Curry in connectionwith his work for the Ordnance Survey. In the course of one of hisletters he makes the following reference to Castlekelly: “I met aninteresting old man at the bottom of the glen from whom Icollected the subjoined list of local names. His name is WilliamRafter, Uilliam Ó Rachtabhra, he is now 84 years old with all hisfaculties in full vigour and with more activity and buoyancy ofspirit than his son, a man of about 50 years of age. He was bornand bred in the old Castlekelly, on the foundations of which hishouse is built, and part of the old wall of which may be still seenin the gable of the house. He speaks as good Irish as ever I heardspoken, as does his sister Una. He says that 40 years ago very fewspoke English in this glen, except the Dublin car men, very fewmen of 40 years of age, even now, in the glen that don’tunderstand though they don’t speak the Irish." O’Curry gives anumber of names in Irish and English which he took down asspoken by the people of the glen. 14The house which was occupied by William Rafter in 1837.Courtesy of Tomás Maher.13


GLENASMOLE ROADSCastlekelly Village in 1976.The question of how long this Irish-speaking colony survived inGlenasmole has been ably dealt with by Donn Piatt in somearticles which appeared in Feasta in 1952. He claims that Irish wasspoken down to the end of the nineteenth century, and in supportof this he quotes the case of a man named Doyle, living inBohernabreena in 1900, who stated that he used Irish when he wasat school, and also a report that when the new chapel atBohernabreena was opened in 1870 the first sermon was preachedin Irish, it being the language used in the district. He also quotesthe case of an old woman named Byrne, living in Kimmage about1930, who was suffering from pneumonia. While her mind waswandering she spoke rapid but disjointed Irish, but on recovery,stated that she had no Irish, but had spoken it as a girl, living inthe Dublin Mountains. 15As against this Malachi Horan who was born in 1850 knew noIrish, nor did he ever hear it spoken locally. Another old man whodied at Old Bawn in 1926, aged 90 years, never heard local peoplespeaking Irish, but often heard it from farm labourers from Co.Meath harvesting in the district.14


GLENASMOLE ROADSMalachi Horan of Killinardenwho dictated his memoirs“Malachi Horan Remembers”to Dr. George A. Little.The memoirs were first carriedin the Dublin Historical Recordand later published as a book.The site of the castle of the placename “Castlekelly” was pointedout to me many years ago by a local man who called it O’Kelly’sCastle and associated it with the Captain O’Kelly who discoveredand trained Donnelly for his famous bare-fisted fight with Cooperon the Curragh in 1815. This site is now occupied by a farmhouseand is directly north of the point where the Dodder joins the CotBrook through an artificial channel which was part of the waterworks scheme. The occupier of this house had no knowledge ofthe castle but was aware that the place was occupied by Rafters inthe nineteenth century. A thorough examination of the house andout offices failed to discover any evidence of old walls or masonrybut this is understandable as the O.S. map of 1843 shows that noneof the present buildings existed at that time. The three brookswhich form the river Dodder converge here at Castlekelly, theSlade flowing from Glassavullaun, the Cot brook from CastlekellyBog and the main stream from Glassamucky Brakes.15


GLENASMOLE ROADSCobbe’s LodgeJust above Castlekelly the Dodder passes along the boundary wallof the house known as Cobbe’s Lodge. A large area about here,including Castlekelly, Glassamucky and Killnasantan wasformerly church property and was, in 1755, leased by Dr. CharlesCobbe, Archbishop of Dublin, to his son Thomas. 16 He let thisportion to George Grierson, the King’s Printer, who built thehouse about 1792 and called it Heathfield Lodge. Grierson alsoresided for a time at Rathfarnham House, formerly Loreto Abbey,Rathfarnham.Cobbe’s Lodge also known as Heathfield Lodge in 1984.After Grierson’s death Heathfield Lodge was occupied by histhree daughters who were great travellers and who used to bringback numerous curiosities, which they collected during theirtravels. They altered the house into a Swiss Chalet with a deepthatched roof and a balcony around it of carved woodwork. Theyfilled the house with skins of wild beasts, antlers and othermementoes and planted the gardens with many rare plants andthe magnificent rhododendrons which still surround the house.16


GLENASMOLE ROADSThey also took a great interest in the local peasantry andintroduced woodcarving in the Swiss style among the people ofthe Glen. Specimens of this work are still to be seen in the house.The Grierson brothers, George and John often stayed here andthey travelled in a specially constructed vehicle fitted with whatwere then considered as powerful headlamps, to aid them alongthe narrow and twisted road. These two men were the founders ofthe Daily Express newspaper.Early in the nineteenth century this beautiful mansion wasdestroyed by fire and the contents completely lost, the occupantshaving to take refuge in an adjoining barn. It was later rebuilt byGeorge Grierson on plans drawn up by himself. Over the door isa tablet inscribed:Heathfield Lodge. George Grierson Esq. 1812Just inside the boundary wall where it adjoins the road toCastlekelly Bog there is a large granite boulder known as FinnMcCoole’s Stone. The Griersons had a marble slab let into it whichbore the following inscription:Finnakoom one of the Irish Giants carriedthis stone on his shoulder from the oppositeMountain on April 1st 1444. He was 9 feet7 inches high and weighed 44 stoneThis slab was removed towards the end of the nineteenth centurybut the mark where it was fixed can still be seen on the stone. 17Finn McCoole’s Stone.The mark where aplaque had beenaffixed can be clearlyseen.17


GLENASMOLE ROADSAbout 1857 the house came into the possession of Charles CobbeEsq. D.L. J.P. of Newbridge House, whose representativesoccupied it down to the end of the century. 18The Shed StoneThe Dodder flows along the eastern boundary of the demesnewhere it is joined by a small stream coming down from theFeatherbed Bog. On the northern bank of this stream, at a point300 yards up from the Dodder, is a large rock raised up on threesmaller ones, known locally as the Shed Stone and said to markthe position of a buried treasure. 19 Although this has the generalappearance of a prehistoric dolmen or portal tomb, it is obvious onclose examination that the supporting stones are actually threepieces of one stone which must have been split by the weight ofthe larger one above. These three fragments are not placed to forma chamber or enclosure which is one of the chief characteristics ofa prehistoric burial place. It would appear therefore that theunusual arrangement of these stones is purely fortuitous. Theheight is about 4 feet.The Shed Stone18


GLENASMOLE ROADSUpper Reaches of the DodderAbove Heathfield Lodge the river flows along the bottom of adeep gorge and the banks sloping steeply at both sides areovergrown with holly, ivy and mountain ash. About half a milefurther up there are two large mounds on the very brink of thestream. These were noted by O'Curry who considered that theywere partly artificial. The name he got for them was “CnocánRuad” or “Little Red Hill”, probably from the colour of thebracken in the Autumn time. Just above these mounds the fall ofthe stream is very steep and it forms a number of deep poolsconnected by cascades of water, which become regular torrents inwet weather. The name given to O'Curry for this part was “AilMáire” or “Mary's Cliff”. 20 It is about this place that the wellknown story about St. Patrick's hospitality is told as follows:Oisín in his old age related to St. Patrick stories of the life led bythe Fenian heroes of his youth. Being vexed by what he considereda lack of hospitality on the part of St. Patrick, he said to the saint:“I often slept abroad on the hills under the grey dew on the foliageof the trees, and I was not accustomed to a supperless bed whilethere was a stag on yonder hill.” To this the saint replied: “Thouhast not a bed without food, for thou gettest seven cakes of bread,a large roll of butter, and a quarter of beef every day.” Oisínrejoined: “I saw a berry on the rowan tree larger twice than thyroll, and I saw an ivy leaf larger and wider than thy cake of bread,and I saw a quarter of a blackbird which was larger than thyquarter of beef.” Later on, overcome by remorse, Oisín set outaccompanied by a guide to try and substantiate his odiouscomparisons. On arriving at Glenasmole they found a rowan treeon which was fruit of an enormous size, one of which they pulledand took along with them. A short distance further on they foundthe glen overshadowed with ivy on which immense leaves weregrowing, one of which they took and preserved along with therowan berry. They then proceeded to the Curragh of Kildarewhere they saw a huge blackbird which they killed with the aid of19


GLENASMOLE ROADSone of their hounds. Having cut off one of the legs they put italong with their other trophies and returned to St. Patrick whowas probably convinced thereby that no offence had beenintended. 21O'Curry was informed that the giant ivy leaves came from Mary'sCliff, and he was so impressed by the ivy he saw there that he sentsome samples of leaves about 9 inches long to the OrdnanceSurvey Office, along with his report. There is plenty of ivy alongthis part still, but I have seen none as big as has been described. Ashort way up from Mary's Cliff there is a hillock on the east bankof the stream, on which O’Curry saw two cairns of stones. Thiswas called “Cnocán Caortain” or “The Little Hill of the RowanTree”. These two cairns are not apparent at present. A little furtheron the stream passes by a flat grassy patch, surrounded by steepheatherclad slopes. It is joined here by a brook flowing down fromKippure Mountain. This is named “Tromán Allison”, or “Allison’sBrook”, the main stream being now called “Aidin Máire” or“Moreen’s Brook”. A small stream named “Eas Caorthain Duinn”,or “The Cataract of the Brown Rowan Tree”, comes down fromGlassamucky Brakes, and the junction of the three streams wasnamed by O’Curry “Bun na Trí Tromáin”, or “The Bottom of theThree Streams”. 22 John O’Donovan, in a note preserved in theOrdnance Survey memoranda, states “Tromán is the elder or boretree. Srothán is a stream, I don’t believe that tromán is a stream”. 23It is of interest to note that what is now the Cot Brook, was named“The Dodder“ by O’Curry and that he applied the name“Moreen’s Brook” to the whole stretch from Castlekelly toKippure mountain, as also does Duncan in his map of 1821.We will not proceed any further along Moreen’s Brook now butwill return to it later, in connection with the story of Dá Dearga’sHostel.20


GLENASMOLE ROADSCunardOn the hillside above Castlekelly and parallel to the river Dodderis the road which forms the boundary between Cunard and theBrakes. A narrow and steep road rises from Cunard village andnear to where the two roads join, the old maps show a group offour circles of stones. These are not to be seen now but there aremany boulders scattered over the area and there is some doubt ifthese circles ever existed.On the lower side of the Glassamucky Road are a number ofunusual structures consisting of rows of large stones set on edge.Each row is about 10 yards long and has a slight hollow along theupper side and a low bank above this. Each end of the hollow isclosed by a large slab. There are three of these structures in a rowwith a space between each and two more, slightly lower down thehill. It is not known for what purpose these were erected and theredoes not appear to be any local tradition related to them. 24Cunard Village in 1976.21


GLENASMOLE ROADSA short distance above the road is an ancient hut platform with aretaining wall of large boulders and a circular level area where ahut of some sort would have been built. The age of this isunknown but other hut sites in Glenasmole which have beenexamined were found to belong to the stone age. In the valleybelow is the village of Cunard, a group of farm houses picturesquein their irregularity and about half a mile along the road isGlassamucky, overlooking the upper lake and the tiny burialground known as St. Anne’s.St. Santan’sThis old graveyard is approached by a narrow and twistedlaneway, which is closed at the upper end by an iron gate bearinga cross. The correct name of this site is Kilmesantan, the church ofSantan, a bishop who is mentioned in the Book of Leinster whichdescribes him as a son of the king of Britain. The Annals of the FourMasters record in 952 the death of Ceanchomraic, Abbot of CillEaspuig Sanctan. 25 In 1216 Pope Innocent III confirmed it with itsGlassamucky in 1976, St. Anne’s burial ground is visible right of centre.22


GLENASMOLE ROADSappurtenances to the See of Dublin and it was constituted a manorfrom which the Archbishop received rent from the tenants andprofits from the demesne land. From 1270 however there were noprofits owing to the incursions of the Irish and in 1276 it wasnecessary to employ John de Peter with five armed horsemen andfifteen followers, as well as the bailiff and posse of Clondalkin tokeep the peace in the mountains of Kilmasantan. In 1294 thechurch was returned as waste and early in the following centurythe manor was reported as being in the Irish territory andworthless. 26 An enquiry of 1547 mentions the curate’s stipend andrepairs to the chancel in connection with the Rectory ofKillnasantan and in 1672 there is a reference to repairs to thechurch of Glassniminby als Templesaunton als glassmocy, so itwould appear that the church was in use down to this period.St. Anne’s burial ground overlooks the upper lake.In the centre of the burial ground are the remains of the churchwhich lie approximately north-east and south-west. The onlyportion standing is a part of the south-east wall. However, theposition of the foundations can still be traced among the graves.The inside width of the nave was 16 feet 4 inches and the wallswere 3 feet thick. The nave was approximately 36 feet long and the23


GLENASMOLE ROADSRemains of St. Santan’s Churchchancel 12 feet. There are no remains of door or window openingsand no cut stone work lying about the ruins, which might help todate the building. The existing fragment is built of irregularuncoursed masonry.Beside the gateway is a massivestone font 3 feet square and 2feet 4 inches high. The basin forthe water is only 11 inches deepand there is a draining hole inthe front. A large piece is brokenaway from the back. Many yearsago a local gentleman attemptedto remove this font to his ownFont at St. Anne’s graveyard.land. His men, having put achain around it, yoked it to two horses and tried to draw it away.First the chains broke, then the swingbar and finally one of thehorses fell and broke his leg, which put an end to the project. 27In recent years a Mass has been celebrated at St. Anne’s burialground on a Sunday close to the 26th July, the feast of St. Anne.24


GLENASMOLE ROADSEarly Christian Cross which was inSt. Anne’s burial ground.In recent years a certainamount of cleaning up hasbeen done in the burialground and loose stonesgathered together in heaps.In the course of this work asmall simple cross of a veryprimitive type was found,which may well date backto the early days of BishopSantan’s church. Later thiscross was found uprootedfrom the ground byconcerned visitors to thegraveyard and it waspassed to the NationalMuseum for safekeeping.Near the church ruin is a fine monument erected to the memory ofBrother Maurice Collins of Ann Mount which will be mentionedin connection with the history of that establishment.In a field about 250 yards to the northof the burial ground is St. Anne’s HolyWell, from which a strong spring issuesand flows down into the reservoir. Thewell is faced around with a loose stonewall and is overshadowed by a rowantree. According to a report written in1843 an annual pattern was held on theSunday nearest to the 26th July, thefeast of St. Anne. The name of Santanwas then forgotten and the ruin wascalled by the local people St. Anne’schurch. 28 No patterns have been heldhere within living memory.St. Anne’s Holy Well25


GLENASMOLE ROADSGlassamuckyOn the high ground above the village of Glassamucky there is anancient burial site. In 1953 James Brindley, Professor of Geology,University College Dublin noticed the existence of prehistoric siteswhile engaged in a geological survey. Later that year they weredescribed by him to the Archaeological Society of the Universityduring a visit to the area. All that was then visible were two smalllow burial mounds on a flat area south of the summit. This isactually in Piperstown, in the part of that townland that comesdown in a point above St. Santan’s church and is 75 yards from thetownland boundary. It consists of two mounds, the larger of whichis 20 feet in diameter and 2 feet high. It is enclosed by a kerb ofstones, of which about six are visible and is overgrown withheather. A smaller mound, 9 feet in diameter and 1 foot high lies60 feet to the south. Here also, six or seven kerb stones are inposition. A short distance away, to the north, are two smallermounds, but those are very slight and may not be artificial.Between Glassamucky and Piperstown village is a high summitwhich commands a magnificent view to the north, west, andsouth. This hill was named on Rocque’s map of 1760 “TheBishop’s Hills” but it is known locally as “Spinkeen”, a namewhich signifies a view point.Ann MountAbout half a mile further down the glen the road passes on theright the old girls’ schoolhouse situated on a height and shelteredby a plantation of fir trees. A few hundred yards further on, at thecorner of the road to Piperstown is the farmhouse named AnnMount, well known in the nineteenth century as a monastery forCarmelite lay-brothers.The monastery of Ann Mount was founded in 1821 by MauriceCollins and John Stewart, who, distressed at the lack of educationamong the children of the locality, leased these premises from26


GLENASMOLE ROADSRoque’s Map of 1760 showing the “Bishop’s Hills.”27


GLENASMOLE ROADSCharles Cobbe, the landowner, and with a few other brothers setabout establishing the monastery and school. These men werebrothers of the third order of Carmel, and although the history ofthat order records the foundation of such a school in Dublin at thebeginning of the nineteenth century and of St. Joseph’s monasteryat Clondalkin in 1813, we are told nothing about Ann Mount or thebrothers who laboured there. 29Ann MountMaurice Collins appears to have been a local man. A number offamilies of this name are recorded in the Cobbe Estate records backto 1763 and the Christian name Maurice occurs several times inthat period. These brothers got no help from the Board ofEducation but had to depend on voluntary contributions to keepthe school open. In addition they conducted a guest house forvisitors, provided they brought their own provisions or orderedthem beforehand. 3028


GLENASMOLE ROADSThe monastery consisted of a range of thatched buildings aroundan enclosed yard and included the dwelling place of the monks,the schoolhouse, oratory and guesthouse. On each pier of theentrance gate was a stone cross. According to the law at that time,the Prior had to become the proprietor of the premises as areligious community was not allowed to hold property. Collins,who was described as the Prior, died in 1865 at the ripe old age of94 years and his place was taken by John Stewart.Entrance to Ann Mount.About this time a social society known as St. Anne’s Club used tomeet here for dinner on Sundays and spend the fine eveningsplaying quoits and other games. According to a contemporarywriter many of its members were more famous for their musical,facetious or gastronomic achievements than for their athleticendeavours. 31 A fixture card for the year 1872 lists among themembers, J.F. Lombard, S.S. Waterhouse, M.H. Chamberlaine, T.Fry, H.J. Tyrell, J. Ireland, B. Elliott, M. Brooks, T. Nedley, T.Cranfield and G.J. Alexander, all names well known in theprofessional and commercial life of the city.29


GLENASMOLE ROADSA story is related concerninga farcical wrestlingmatch between twomembers, Dr. O’Leary, M.D.who was well known for hisdiminutive size, and Dr.Meldon who was a hugeman. Dr. O’Leary fell andbroke his leg and had to bebrought home with theinjured limb tied up with anumbrella. 32At this time there were onlya few brothers left andwhen John Stewart died in1887 little effort was madeto continue the communitylife. Although a newA fixture card for St. Anne’s Club. pavilion had been built, theschool was no longerconducted. The building was later used as a barn. A disastrous firedamaged the oratory and other buildings and from 1891 thechapel was no longer used. 33 Brother Kearns was the last survivorof this devoted band and he continued to occupy the premises andwork the farm. He eventually married Sarah Williams and in 1895the place passed to his widow. It passed in 1925 to the O’Riordanswho occupied it down to recent years.Many of the old people in the locality could still recall the monksof St. Ann’s Monastery, the guesthouse presided over by BrotherPaul and the oratory where Mass was celebrated every Sunday.The social parties were also remembered, especially the difficultiesthey experienced in getting the carriages up and down the steephill at Friarstown and how they used to throw down coppers tothe scrambling children.30


GLENASMOLE ROADSThe last phase of Ann Mount as a guest house has tended toeclipse its earlier history as an education centre and with thepassing of the old folks there will be little to remind the cominggenerations of the work of these Carmelite brothers. Themonument in St. Anne’s graveyard, however, to those who knowof its existence, will ever stand as a reminder of Maurice Collinsand his companions. This memorial is inscribed as follows:Erected by a few friends as atoken of respect toMaurice CollinsFor 44 years Prior of St. Anne’s Monasterywho died 31st Jan 1865 aged 94 yearsand his religiousAndrew McGuirk died 13 Nov 1842 aged 46 yearsJohn Farrell died 27th Jan 1854 aged 67 yearsPatrick McGuirk died 16th Oct aged 69 yearsMathew Kelly died 22 June 1873 aged 68 yearsJohn Stewart died 17th April 1887 aged 93 yearsFor 16 years Prior of St. Anne’s.31


GLENASMOLE ROADSMemorial in St. Anne’s burial ground to Maurice Collins and his companionswho lived at Ann Mount.32


GLENASMOLE ROADSKnockanteedanFrom Ann Mount the road continues to descend for half a mile toa bridge which crosses the upper end of Friarstown Glen. Belowthis road and overlooking the lower dam of the water works is agrassy mound 6 feet high and 30 yards in diameter. It is composedof earth with some stones and appears to have been dug into inseveral places and the soil piled about in irregular heaps. In one ofthese excavations part of a large rock has been exposed. Thismound was formerly known as Knockanteedan but that name isnow no longer remembered.PiperstownTo the east of Glassamucky the ground rises up steeply towardsPiperstown. In 1953, as previously mentioned underGlassamucky, Professor Brindley of University College Dublinhad noticed the two small low burial mounds on a flat area southof the summit. The hill was at that time covered with a thin layerof peat and a deep growth of heather. In 1960 an extensivemountain fire stripped most of the hillside of both peat andheather and left it as a barren waste of gravelly soil. This burningrevealed the presence of at least thirteen other prehistoric sitespreviously hidden under the heather.These sites fall into two distinct groups. Along the top edge of thesteep ground were eight small burial cairns some with remains ofkerbs. Scattered over a level area east of the cairns were seven welldefined hut sites, most of which had a stone edged hearth in thecentre of the floor. These were reported to the National Museumand Mr. Etienne Rynne undertook to investigate the sites with thehelp of voluntary labour.He first excavated one of the hut sites where worked flints were tobe seen on the surface of the ground. The outline of the hut wasroughly rectangular and was defined by lines of stones. Thehearth was rectangular in shape, edged by a well fitted stone kerb33


GLENASMOLE ROADSand contained soil which had been burned to a deep red colour.There were two small pits in the house, both filled with stones, soiland charcoal, which had probably been used for cookingpurposes.Scattered about the floor were over 600 flakes of flint, waste fromthe manufacture of flint implements, showing that this hut hadbeen occupied by a flint worker and probably dated back to thelate Stone Age, 4 to 5 thousand years ago. A number of flintimplements were also found. Another hut site excavated was lesswell preserved and produced only 23 pieces of flint.One of the burial cairns was also excavated and was found tocover a small pit, at the bottom of which was a deposit of crematedbone and one flint flake. This deposit was lying on a deep bed ofcharcoal. After examination the soil and stones were in every casereturned as far as possible to their original position. This group ofsites is unique in that it illustrates both the living conditions andthe burial customs of one small community from a very remoteperiod.Partly destroyed cairn in Piperstown.34


GLENASMOLE ROADSPiperstown cist burial site.From Piperstown a mountain road ascends to join the FeatherbedRoad. At several points along this road and also on the adjoiningmoorland are curious structures consisting of deep rectangularexcavations lined with masonry and surrounded by low banks. Inthe nineteenth century this particular area was well known for itsice industry. This was at a time before ice could be artificiallymade and it had to be collected during frosty weather and storedin pits for use during the summer. These pits were large and deepand were lined with masonry. They were enclosed by a sod bankand roofed with thatch. Around each building were shallowponds on which the ice formed. The ice was collected andconveyed to the house in wheel barrows by local men who werepaid three shillings and six pence per day and each man hadcharge of a certain number of ponds from which he had to rake inthe ice and deposit it in the ice house. These ice houses were in usedown to the end of the nineteenth century.35


GLENASMOLE ROADSAt the present time, the western slope or the hill over Piperstownis locally known as Slieve Gorra, a name which may at one timehave been applied to the entire hill.Ice house sites in Piperstown.The mountain ridge which forms the boundary of Glenasmole iscomprised of the following summits, Mount Pelier, KillakeeMountain, Featherbed Bog, Kippure Mountain, SeefinganMountain, Corrig Mountain, Seahan Mountain, BallymorefinnHill, Carrigeenoura and Slievenabawnoge. The nearest of thesemountains to Bohernabreena is Mount Pelier which can bereached from Oldbawn by the Oldcourt Road.36


Allenton and KillininnyGLENASMOLE ROADSOn the south west side of Old Bawn crossroads stood a very oldhouse named Allenton with its gable towards the road. This housewas occupied about the middle of the eighteenth century by SirTimothy Allen who was Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1762. Thepresent house was built early in the eighteenth century onto anexisting house, forming an angle with it. The earlier part was laterdemolished but the remains of it can still be seen in the farmyard.Allenton HouseThe remains of a strongly built rectangular building with a smalltower attached to it could also be seen in the yard. The tower isnow behind a high fence but old photographs show it to be about10 feet square with a doorway on the ground floor and twoopenings on the first floor, now built up.37


GLENASMOLE ROADSWhen O’Curry visited here in 1837 he was able to identify the sitewith a place mentioned in the Martyrologies as Cill na n-Ingen,now Killininny, where there was a monastery founded by the fourdaughters of MacIair. The existence of this monastery was thenremembered in tradition and the site of the burial place pointedout in a small square field near the house. An ancient walnut treewhich stood in the garden had been cut down by the owner Mr.Cotton a few years earlier. 34 Prior to its sale, Allenton had beenoccupied by the Muldoon family for over a hundred years. On 1stJanuary 1984 the front was torn down and the house has sincebeen demolished.Killininny Tower, circa 1950 was located at the rear ofAllenton House. The remains of the tower can be seentoday in Allenton Housing estate.38


GLENASMOLE ROADSRear of AllentonHouse, circa 1950showing the remains ofan earlier house towhich Allenton wasattached.Oldcourt HouseHalf a mile further on is the site of Oldcourt House, part of whichdated from the eighteenth century. It was occupied by theMagranes throughout the latter half of the nineteenth century.Although it was in a bad state of repair it was occupied down to1950 when the roof was removed and the walls demolished.Oldcourt House, circa 1950.39


St. Colmcille’s WellGLENASMOLE ROADSA short way further on at a road junction is the entrance to OrlaghCollege and in a field opposite is the ancient well of St. Colmcille.This holy well had been venerated locally from time immemorialbut was little known outside the district. About 1917 as a result ofthe interest shown in the well by Father Michael Hughes ofOrlagh, a committee of local people collected funds for a statue ofSt. Colmcille which was designed by Mr. Joseph Tierney andexecuted by Mr. Deghini. The well was cleaned out by local men.St. Colmcille’s Well.40


Pilgrimages were firstorganised during theconscription threat in1918. Hundreds ofpeople attended, wherethey were addressed byProfessor Eoin McNeill,Dr. McKenna of Tallaghtand Father Hughes. Theattendance increasedeach year and in 1921the stone canopy waserected by local menworking in their owntime to the design of Mr.Coakley, a local architect.GLENASMOLE ROADSMan and girl praying, St. Columcille's Well,Ballycullen, Co. Dublin WILf3[54] courtesy ofThe National Library of Ireland.Some years ago there was an ash tree growing beside the wellupon which were nailed all the medals left there by pilgrims. Thetrunk of the tree was encased for about 6ft high with thesereligious emblems whichcovered the bark like fishscales. This tree fell sometimearound 1960. In a fieldbehind St. Colmcille’s Wellis a granite field crossprobably erected in the1860s. It is one of manyerected about this time as aprecaution against cattleplague, probably in theform of foot and mouthField Cross in a field at the rear of St.Colmcille’s Well.41disease. There are otherfield crosses in the districtat Kiltipper, Tymon Northand at Firhouse near theCity Weir.


GLENASMOLE ROADSOrlaghThe old house named Orlagh was built by Mr. Lundy Foot about1790 and was at first called Footmount. He was one of the familywho founded the firm of Lundy Foot & Co. Snuff Merchants,whose warehouse stood in Essex Gate. He was a magistrate andwas instrumental in bringing about the conviction of the Kearneysin 1816. He was afterwards fired on and received desperateinjuries from which he recovered but was ultimately assassinatedin 1835 at his estate in Rosbercon, New Ross. Orlagh was boughtthe following year by Carew O’Dwyer, a member of the legalprofession, who extended the house and built a banqueting hall.The place was next let to a family named Brodie for a time andabout the middle of the neneteenth century passed into the handsof the Augustinian Order and is now a retreat and conferencefacility run by the Irish Augustinian Friars.Orlagh is now a retreat and conference facility.42


Dollymount HouseGLENASMOLE ROADSThe next estate to Orlagh was Mount Pelier House or Dollymountas it was originally named. The only surviving part of the house isthe tower known as Carthy’s or McCarthy’s Castle. This housewas built by Lord Ely towards the end of the eighteenth centuryand consisted of a long two storied frontage facing north-east, ateach corner of which was an arched entrance. The roomscontained marble chimney pieces and stuccoed ceilings and overthe hall door were the arms of the Ely family in cut stone.Stretching out from each of the gateways was a long low range ofbuildings terminating at each end in a three storied tower withbattlements and pointed windows. Behind the house wereextensive outbuildings, barns, stables and haggard, and aplantation of trees covered the slope of the hill behind. After thehouse had been abandoned as a residence by the Ely family it waslet to a tenant who cut down the trees and treated the house withsuch neglect that it soon became uninhabitable.Dollymount House or Mount Pelier House, circa 1950.The place had been a ruin for over a century when, in 1950, whatremained of the house was demolished and the materialsremoved. Only the tower at the western end is now standing alongwith some out offices and in the haggard are sixteen large circularplatforms, said to be for the purpose of ricking hay or straw, anda number of long arched structures about 4 feet high. 3543


GLENASMOLE ROADSThe western flanking tower of Dollymount House which is now known asCarthy’s Castle or McCarthy’s Castle. Note the sixteen large circular platforms,said to be for ricking hay or straw.Mount PelierAbout half a mile to the south-east and perched on the summit ofa green rounded hill is the ruin popularly known as the Hell FireClub. This was built by the Right Hon. William Conolly, Speakerof the Irish House of Commons, shortly before his death in 1729.It was situated in the centre of an extensive deerpark and wasprobably used only as a temporary residence. The house consistedof two large rooms and a hall on the upper floor with largewindows facing towards the city. There was a small loft over theparlour and hall. On the ground level was the kitchen, servants’quarters and stairs to the upper rooms. There were also two smallapartments in the return behind the hall. The hall door wasreached by a lofty flight of stone steps and at each side of thehouse was a room with a lean-to roof which may have been usedfor the stabling of horses. There appears to have been very littleaccommodation for sleeping quarters.44


GLENASMOLE ROADSBefore the house was built a large cairn stood on the summit of thehill. Conolly is said to have destroyed this when he built the houseand when the roof was blown off in a great storm sometime later,this was attributed to the work of the devil, in revenge for thedesecration of the cairn. Conolly, however, not to be outdone, builta new roof composed of large stones set edgeways and theinterstices filled with smaller stones and mortar. This great archedroof is still in excellent condition, as is the vaulted ceiling of theground floor despite the fact that the house has been a ruin forover two centuries. Repairs were recently done around thewindow openings which will make it safe for another twocenturies. The only official record of the occupation of this houseis the announcement in July 1751 of the death at Mount Pelier ofMr. Charles Cobbe, the elder son of the Archbishop of Dublin. 36The Hell Fire Club.45


GLENASMOLE ROADSWhile the place is popularly known as the Hell Fire Club, there isno evidence connecting it with the Hell Fire Club, which usuallymet in the Eagle Tavern on Cork Hill in Dublin city. Towards theend of the century when Lord Ely was building his great mansionlower down the hill, he is said to have used the cut stone workfrom this building.A drawing by Sir William Betham shows the house as it stood in1841 and illustrates very clearly how little it has changed in 165years. It was visited in 1779 by Austin Cooper, the antiquary whonoted that the house was out of repair. He described the remainsof the cairn and said that the limits of it had been composed oflarge stones set edgeways. In the centre was a large stone 9 feetlong and 6 feet wide lying flat. This report is of special interest asit would appear from it that up to 1779 the central chamber hadnot been disturbed, the large stone apparently being the capstone.Drawing of the Hell Fire Club executed by Sir William Betham in 1841. Thedrawing shows that it has changed little in 165 years.46


GLENASMOLE ROADSThe remains now consist of a low ring 26 yards in diameter with atrench where the kerb stones were removed. The centre is clearedout completely but a couple of broken stones mark the position ofthe central chamber. 37 The present name of this hill is Mount Pelier,which was introduced by Conolly when he built the lodge andwhich has completely superseded the original Irish name of thehill. It has been suggested that it may be identified with a hillnamed Suide Uí Ceallaig or Suidi Celi which is mentioned in theCrede Mihi of the twelfth century. This was situated in the districtknown as Uí Ceallaig Cualann which included the northernportion of Glenasmole and Mount Pelier is certainly the mostprominent elevation in this area. 38Joseph Holt, the insurgent general, records in his memoirs that inJuly 1798 during the retreat of the rebels from Co. Meath he passedsafely through Dublin and spent the night in the haunted house onMount Pelier. In spite of his perilous situation he was deeplyimpressed by the beauty of the sunrise as seen from this position.He sent a message to his brother who lived in Chapel House,Bohernabreena, requesting a loaf of bread, some cheese and a pintof whiskey. 39An aerial photograph of the Hell Fire Club. The outline of the cairn which saton top of Mount Pelier can clearly be seen at the right of the picture.47


GLENASMOLE ROADSStanding StoneThis standing stone marks the upperlimit of a huge circular enclosure.On the eastern slope of the hillwhere the well troddenfootpath leads down towards afarmhouse there is a largepointed boulder about 8 feethigh. This area is now coveredwith trees but before thesewere planted an aerial photographwas taken whichshowed this stone to mark theupper limit of a huge circularenclosure which was clearlydefined in the photograph butwas not so obvious on theground. The undergrowthbeneath the trees is now sodense that it is quite impossibleto see anything.Piperstown GlenImmediately to the south of Mount Pelier is Piperstown Glen, asteep defile lying directly east and west. There is an old footpaththrough this glen from the Military road above Killakee toPiperstown village. At the eastern end of this defile is a smallreservoir, built to supply Killakee House, the residence of LordMassy, lower down the hill. This spot has been much altered bythe destruction of a picturesque lodge and the widening of theroad which necessitated the felling of some fine timber. Just abovethe reservoir is a domestic ice house with an ovoid brick-linedchamber which performed, on a small scale, the function of thelarger ice houses in Piperstown. At the other end of the glen thereis a large rock in the bank over the road where it is said the piperused to sit while he played for the open air dances in the old days.48


GLENASMOLE ROADSOn the high ground at the southern side of the glen is a large ringfort with a single bank and ditch 36 yards in diameter . It is nowconcealed in the forestry plantation. Nearby on a small summitthere is a small ring feature which may mark a prehistoric burial.The Military RoadAbout half a mile further south the Military road winding its wayup from Killakee House creeps over the rim of Glenasmole andfollows a course along the very skyline until it drops out of sightagain over the Featherbed Pass. This road was constructed by theMilitary in 1802 for the purpose of opening up the WicklowMountains for the rapid movement of troops. The road traversedthe highest and most inaccessible parts of the mountains andstrong barracks were built at intervals for the accommodation ofthe soldiers.After passing through a plantation the Military road is joined bythe bog road from Piperstown, already mentioned. Just fivehundred yards from this junction there is a small gravel pit on theeast side of the road, known locally as the Sweep’s Pit. Here, onthe upright face of a rock is a cross with expanded terminals, saidSweep’s Rock with an incised cross with expanded terminals.49


GLENASMOLE ROADSto mark the place where the body of a sweep was found. He hadbeen overtaken by a snowstorm when on his way to Glencree toclean the chimneys of Glencree reformatory. This type of inscribedcross with expanded terminals, is of a type commonly used inearly times which may indicate an earlier origin for the carving. 40About half a mile further on, another gravel pit can be seen on thesame side and adjoining it is the track of an old overgrown avenueleading out across the bog. It continues for about a quarter of amile and terminates at a grassy patch on which is a pile of stonesand rubble. This is the remains of Latouche’s shooting lodge andis so named on Duncan’s map of 1821.Duncan’s Map of 1821 showing “Latouche’s shooting lodge”.A short way further on stood a Celtic cross erected as a memorialto Captain Noel Lemass whose body was found here on 12thOctober 1923, in the aftermath of the Civil War. He had beenabducted on the previous July 3rd and his fate was unknown untilthe guards, acting on information, discovered the remains hereabout 20 yards from the road.50


GLENASMOLE ROADSOriginal Celtic cross memorial to Captain Noel Lemass.Behind the cross is a stone faced bank marking the boundarybetween the counties of Dublin and Wicklow. This bank runstowards the north and after crossing the old avenue to Latouchelodge turns off sharply to the east. At this corner is a large boulderin which are three artificial hollows of the bullaun type. Two ofthese are unusual in being flat bottomed, somewhat like the insideof a small tub, and are 18 inches in diameter. 41Granite memorial slab to Captain Noel Lemass, 2006.51


GLENASMOLE ROADSLarge boulder withthree artificialhollows of thebullaun type.Featherbed BogThe Military road next crosses the boundary into Co. Wicklow andcommences the long descent into Glencree valley. From this pointthe county boundary extends away southward, almost in a directline towards the top of Kippure Mountain. This boundary wasmarked by a bank and ditch some time in the eighteenth centuryand in 1940 a new road was constructed for a mile and a half alongthe mearing, as far as where it is crossed by Moreen’s Brook, toopen up the bogs for turf cutting.O’Curry described what he called a moat, named “CnocánMheidhbh”, on the edge of Featherbed Bog through which theboundary ditch passed. It had been cut through to a depth of fivefeet but no burial was revealed. It is rather surprising that whenthe road was constructed nothing of this burial mound wasdiscovered. The exact location unfortunately was not marked onthe map but it was very likely on top of the high gravel ridge overwhich the bog road passes 700 yards from the Military road. 42 Thisbog road is locally known as “Moat Road”.52


GLENASMOLE ROADSThere is at present in the National Museum, a weavers comb madeof horn which was found in Glassamucky bog. It is the only one ofits type ever found in Ireland and is believed to be of Iron Agedate.In the adjoining townland of Powerscourt Mountain in 1941 abronze dagger 10.5 inches long was found about 4 feet below thesurface. It was in the possession of Lord Powerscourt. 43Another interesting find was made in Old Bolies which lies east ofthe Featherbed Bog. This was a small wooden vessel of pre-Christian date which was found by the army turf workers duringthe war. 44What must surely be the most valuable object found in these bogswas reported in the Dublin papers of 1788: “Last week as somelabourers belonging to Mr. O’Dogherty of Glannasmole werecutting turf, one of them discovered a gold crown at about 4 feetdeep. It is about seven inches in diameter and weighs 11 ounces. Itis perhaps the crown of some provincial king before theintroduction of Christianity. There are several figures raised on itbut no such thing as a cross.” 45Dá Dearga’s HostelAt the end of the bog road, according to O’Curry, there wasanother moat on the brink of Moreen’s Brook, but no remains ofthis can now be seen. It has been suggested by the late HenryMorris that this was the site of Dá Dearga’s hostel, and the placecertainly fits in with the description given in the ancient literature.Conaire Mór, King of Ireland, and his retainers were travellingsouthward along the Slighe Cualann. They decided to spend thenight in Dá Dearga’s Hostel, and were guided thence byMacCeacht who declared that the road they were followingcontinued until it passed through the house. Conaire and his53


GLENASMOLE ROADScompany were made welcome at the hostel, and supplied withfood and accommodation for the night. It happened that a party ofpirates under Ingcel were sailing along the coast when they sawthe lights from Dá Dearga’s house shining through the wheels ofthe chariots which surrounded it. With the help of spies theydiscovered who was staying in the Hostel, and decided to plunderit that night. They landed on the coast and made their way acrosscountry until they surrounded the hostel. Conaire and his partyput up a strong defence and the hostel was thrice set on fire, andthrice put out again. The robbers having been driven back, theking called for a drink, but no liquid could be found, although weare told that the Dodder flowed through the house. MacCeachtwas ordered to get water, and having fought his way through therobbers outside, proceeded to go the rounds of all the rivers ofIreland seeking a cup of water. In the meantime, those inside thehostel decided to try and break through the encircling robbers.Just at that moment Conaire, being completely overcome with hisgreat thirst, expired of a burning fever. The rest of the companyhaving broken through the besiegers, and the hostel beingdeserted, the robbers entered and cut off the king’s head. WhenMacCeacht returned with the drink of water he found the kingdead, and his friends either killed or scattered. 46Mr. Morris points out that the only part of the Dodder aboveRathfarnham which can be seen from the coast is this place wherethe river rises high up on the county boundary. The name of thestream, Moreen’s Brook, he considered to be the eclipsed form ofbruidin following a preposition and an article as “Ag anmbruidin”. The name Bohernabreena was of course the correctdescription for a road starting at Old Bawn and finishing up hereat the source of the Dodder. 4754


Summits in the AreaGLENASMOLE ROADSThe ridge which stretches from Kippure Mountain toBallinascorney Gap has always been a popular one with Dublinwalkers. This entails a journey of eight miles over some of theroughest terrain in the county, through an area remote fromcivilisation. No one could have foreseen the construction of a firstclass road into the very heart of this wilderness or the erection ofone of our main television and radio transmission masts on thesummit of Kippure Mountain, 3,473 feet above sea level.The slopes of Kippure are covered by a turf bog over 6 feet deepwhich has been cut by the weather into a number of great furrowsconspicuous even from a great distance. The summit had beendenuded of turf and is composed of stones and granite sand. Thetop of the mountain was distinguished by a pile of stones erectedas a survey mark by the O.S. This was replaced around 1930 by aconcrete pillar to define this major trigonometrical station.Summit of Kippure mountain prior to the erection there of the radio andtelevision mast.55


Seefingan MountainGLENASMOLE ROADSThe next summit to Kippure is Seefingan, two miles away to thenorth-west. This mountain has a broad level summit covered withcoarse grass and heather on the western edge of which is a largecairn of granite stones, 80 yards in circumference and 12 feet high.No kerb stones are visible but they are probably buried beneathloose stones fallen from the cairn. It is fashioned into a number ofsheltered nooks by the summer visitors but does not appear tohave been opened.Seefin MountainCairn on the summit of Seefingan Mountain.One mile to the south-west lies Seefin Mountain on the top ofwhich is one of the most interesting monuments in the neighbourhood.The cairn is 80 feet in diameter and 10 feet 6 inches high andis surrounded by a kerb of stones, up to five feet in length and setend to end. In the centre is a stone-lined chamber 13 feet by 6 feet.This is built in the usual manner of large slabs, each oneoverlapping slightly the one below, so that the chamber getsnarrower towards the top where it can be closed with one largeslab. The covering stone in this case has been removed and thechamber half filled with loose stones thrown in by visitors.56


GLENASMOLE ROADSIn 1931 a party under Professor MacAlister cleared out the loosestones and revealed the original entrance passage, 23 feet long andvery low and narrow. There were two recesses on each side of thechamber and one at the end. No finds were made during the work.There were two recesses on each side of the chamber and one atthe end. On one of the stones below the hole in the roof and nearthe north west corner is a carved symbol, considered to representa human hand, and on the highest point of the uppermost roofingstone is a tiny cross with circular terminals. This was consideredCairn on the summit of Seefin Mountain.by Professor MacAlister to be an early Christian symbol, but it ispossible that it was cut to form a seating for some instrument inconnection with the Ordnance Survey. No finds were madeduring the excavation. 48 On the fourth and fifth stones on the rightof the entrance passage as the visitor enters, there is carveddecoration of Bronze Age type consisiting of triangles andlozenges of the type usually associated with this class of tomb. 4957


GLENASMOLE ROADSCorrig and Seahan MountainsA mile and a half to the north of Seefingan Mountain, along abroken and hummocky ridge, is the rounded summit of CorrigMountain. In the valley to the west of this ridge is Kilbride Campand rifle range while to the east the extensive mountain townlandof Glassavullaun stretches away to the upper reservoir atCastlekelly. Corrig is not marked by cairn or tumulus but a smallsquare pillar inscribed W.D. was put there by the military to markthe limit of Kilbride camp.About half a mile to the west of Corrig is Seahan Mountain andfrom the saddle between these two summits a grassy cart trackleads downward into Glenasmole.On the top of Seahan are two large cairns. The eastern one isseventy feet in diameter and has an almost complete kerb ofgranite stone up to six feet long. It has been partly removed and inthe centre is an opened chamber with a huge cap stone and theremains of a passage leading in from the north. The other cairn is75 feet in diameter and 15 feet high and does not appear to haveKilbride Army Camp in the early 1900s.58


GLENASMOLE ROADSbeen opened. No kerb stones are visible but they may be coveredwith stones fallen from the cairn. Both of these monuments werebuilt on the stony surface of the mountain top, apparently beforethe growth of peat which now covers the mountain to a depth ofabout 5 feet.Fifty yards to the south west are the remains of a chamber built oflarge stones and about 9 feet square. There is a slight trace of anenclosing mound 20 feet in diameter and 2 feet high.On the Down Survey map of 1655 and on Rocque’s map of 1760this mountain is named “Seavick na Bontry” or the “Seat of theWidow’s Son” and maps of the early part of the last century call itSlieve Baun, or the white mountain. It is now known only asSeahan. 50Rocques Map of 1760 showing Seahan Mountain named as “Seavick na Bontry”,“The Seat of the Widow’s Son”.From this mountain the county boundary runs westward until itcrosses the road near Kilbride Camp. Just at this point and on theDublin side of the boundary is a farmhouse which is the highestdwelling house in Ireland, 1,400 feet above sea level. 5159


GLENASMOLE ROADSThis farmhouse is the highest dwelling in Ireland.To the north of Seahan lies a long ridge which comprises the ratherinconspicuous summits of Ballymorefinn Hill and Carrigeenowraand which terminates in the steep little hill namedSlievenabawnoge. Just below the summit of Carrigeenowra thereis a small ring fort with a low bank of soil and stones which isknown locally as the Dane’s Grave. It is very high up for apermanent dwelling and may have been built as a shelter orbooley for those who stayed on the mountain with the stockduring the summer months.BallinascorneyA short way further, and on the Ballinascorney side of the ridge, isa small ring barrow which would have been formed to mark theposition of a prehistoric burial. It has a low mound in the centrewhich has been partly dug out.The top of Slievenabawnoge is also marked by a low grassymound with a hollow in the centre. Directly below this hill isBallinascorney Gap, at the top of which is a massive stone crosswhich was erected about the middle of the nineteenth century.60


GLENASMOLE ROADSBallinascorney Ring Barrow.According to Malachy Horan, it was in memory of a man who wassmothered under a load of hay, 52 but a short note written in 1843states that it was put up by or in memory of Mr. Trent, the locallandowner, about 7 years previously. 53Large stone cross, Ballinascorney.In a sheltered valley to the south of this cross stand the walls ofBallinascorney House, once the residence of Dr. O’Rahilly. Thishouse was built in the eighteenth century as a hunting lodge bythe Dillons of Belgard and was first known as “Dillon Lodge”. Itthen stood in the middle of a deer park of about 80 acres.61


GLENASMOLE ROADSBallinascorney House in the 1970s. The house is now in ruins.At the end of the eighteenth century it was occupied as a residenceby the Bagenal family and it was to here that Robert Emmet andhis party first fled after the failure of their insurrection in 1803.They did not remain long but moved on to a more secure hidingplace with the Kearneys of Bohernabreena.The next owner was Gerald Tench who held the post of Registrarin the Four Courts. He was paralysed and moved around thehouse in a wheel chair. The next occupier was Major Knox, theproprietor of the Irish Times. He entertained lavishly here andmusic was supplied by his own band which was recruited fromthe staff of the Irish Times.Lying between the Glendoo Valley and the Military Road where itpasses over the Featherbed Bog is an elevated area, comprising thethree summits of Killakee, Cruagh and Glendoo Mountains. Thisarea is best explored from the Military Road and entails longundulating foot slogging but no steep climbing. There are noancient features on any of these summits. The northern boundaryof this area is defined by a mountain road from which magnificentviews can be obtained over the city and suburbs of Dublin.62


GLENASMOLE ROADSKillakee EstateIn the sheltered valley north of this is the Killakee Estate, now theproperty of the Coillte. After the Norman invasion Killakee wasgranted to Walter de Ridleford. In the thirteenth century it passedto the Crown but was of no value due to the attacks of the Irishtribes. Killakee was later granted by Henry VIII to Sir ThomasLuttrell. During the seventeenth century these lands wereforfeited by the Luttrells and granted to Dr. Dudley Loftus. Thepopulation of Killakee was at that time recorded as twenty-one.Early in the eighteenth century the estate passed to SpeakerConolly and later in that century to Mr. Luke White, a Dublinbookseller, from whom it descended in the female line to LordMassy.Lord Massy was descended from Hugh Massy who came toIreland in 1641 to suppress the rebellion and held lands atDuntrileague, Co. Limerick, as well as at Caher and Mitchelstown.The last Lord Massy to live here was Hugh Hamon CharlesGeorge, 8th Baron Massy. He was declared bankrupt in 1924 andwas evicted from his house. Being ill with paralysis at the time hewas carried out on a stretcher while the bailiffs looked on. He wasallowed to occupy one of his own gate lodges, Beehive Cottage,where he resided with his wife and son until his death in 1958.He seldom visited the city but occupied his time looking after thecottage, while his wife worked in the Hospitals’ Sweep Office. Hespent much time collecting fuel from his own woods which hetransported in a small hand cart.The house was demolished about 1943, the lands were divided bythe Land Commission and the woods were taken over by theForestry Department.63


GLENASMOLE ROADSWithin the estate are many magnificent trees and rivuletscascading down through rocky gorges. There is a fine avenue ofmonkey puzzle trees which leads to the site of the house. Walledgardens mark the site of the orchards and glasshouses and besidethe stream is the ruins of a watermill which was used to power asawmill. Within this forest are some of the finest woodland pathsin the country.An avenue of monkey puzzle trees led to Kilakee House. The trees are now inLord Massy’s Woods.Kilakee House64


GLENASMOLE ROADSBeehive Cottage where Hugh Hammon Charles George, 8th Baron Massy livedout his days after eviction from Killakee House.On a summit over the stream are the remains of a wedge tombdating from the late stone age (about 4,000 years ago). Thisconsists of an enclosed chamber built of large flat stones with anentrance facing the west. There is a revetment wall enclosing thechamber and probably a kerb of stones now concealed from view.The chamber would have been roofed with large slabs andcovered over with a cairn of small stones, all of which have beenremoved to build the stone wall which runs across the front of thetomb.Kilakee Wedge Tomb65


GLENASMOLE ROADSA more detailed account of the Massy family can be found in IfThose Trees Could Speak by Frank Tracy, published by South DublinLibraries in 2005.Mount VenusFurther down the hill from Killakee is the entrance to MountVenus, which was burned down in 1913. The house is nowdemolished but the farm yard and out offices still survive, all ofwhich are vaulted in stone. The house was occupied by theO’Dwyers in the latter half of the nineteenth century and by theTaylors down to the time it was burned down in 1913. GeorgeMoore, the writer, brings Mount Venus into his book Hail andFarewell. He visited the house in 1886 when he was thinking ofrenting it. In the grounds is a huge portal tomb.Entrance to Mount Venus66


GLENASMOLE ROADSMount Venus portal tomb.The Dodder below FriarstownThe river Dodder could justly be described as the lifeline of theparish of Tallaght. It rises at the highest point in the parish onKippure mountain, flows through the valley of Glenasmole andfollows a course through the centre of the parish to Templeoguewhere it enters the parish of Rathfarnham. This river and itstributary streams supplied water for farming, industry anddrainage for land. During floods however it carried everythingbefore it and demolished bridges and weirs throughout its course.Down to the year 1798 there was no bridge crossing the Dodderhigher up than Rathfarnham but fords existed at Templeogue,Firhouse and Oldbawn, which were impassable in wet weather.Bridges were built at Templeogue in 1798, at Old Bawn in 1800 andat Friarstown about 1822. The three arched bridge at Old Bawnwas undermined by frequent floods and replaced in 1840 by asingle span bridge. The floods caused serious damage to the landswhich they overran and great quantities of gravel and silt were67


GLENASMOLE ROADSOld Bawn bridgedeposited over a wide area. This was found to be suitable for roadconstruction and was drawn away to such an extent that the riverlevel was lowered thereby. In 1846 the Drainage Commissionersstraightened the river from Firhouse downwards which enabledmuch wasteland to be reclaimed. The construction of thewaterworks at Glenasmole in 1887 finally brought the annualfloods to an end. The excess water which flowed from the hills inwet weather was retained in the reservoirs and let out at a regularrate during dry periods.Sandbanks composed of deposited sand and gravel downstream fromOld Bawn bridge.68


BawnvilleGLENASMOLE ROADSBeside the Old Bawn Road was a pretty cottage name Bawnvillewhich in the nineteenth century was occupied by James WalterFurlong who was on the sporting staff of the Irish Independent.His two daughters Mary and Alice made names for themselveswriting poetry. Mary was a nurse and died of typhoid in 1898while nursing in Co. Roscommon. Alice Furlong was a singer aswell as a poet who only started writing poetry in 1893. A sampleof her poetry is the following verse on Glenasmole . . .In the heart of high blue hillsWhere the silence thrills and thrillsIn the Valley of the ThrushesFrom the golden low furze bushesOn the mountain winds light feetComes a perfume faint and sweet(from the Cabinet of Irish Literature)Bawnville House69


Firhouse RoadGLENASMOLE ROADSRunning northwards from Old Bawn crossroads is the FirhouseRoad, leading to Firhouse and Butterfield Avenue. There areseveral old houses on this road. Allenton and Killininny havealready been described on pages 37 to 39. Ellenborough is besidethe crossroads, and Killininny House which was near the Dodder,was demolished about 30 years ago. It was a large Georgianfarmhouse.Killininny HouseIn the village of Firhouse is the Carmelite Convent which wasestablished here early in the nineteenth century. The house datedfrom the eighteenth century and was bought in 1800 by Mr. JamesJohnston, who later sold it to Mr. Beresford Burson. He wassucceeded by his son-in-law, Mr. Smith. This house wasdemolished and replaced by a new convent building in 2003.70


GLENASMOLE ROADSThe eighteenth century Firhouse Convent building was replaced by a newconvent building in 2003.The most interesting house in the village is Sally Park which wasthe home of William Domville Handcock, the author of the Historyand Antiquities of Tallaght. The house was purchased by hisgrandfather in 1796, and previous to that had belonged to the Earlof Clanwilliam. In compiling his history he made use of notes onthe area left by his grandfather. The house is now a nursing home.Sally Park71


City Weir and Bella VistaGLENASMOLE ROADSOpposite to Sally Park is an old passage leading down to theDodder where there was in former times a ford now replaced by afoot bridge. Here also is the City Weir.City WeirThe City Weir was built in the thirteenth century to convey waterfrom the Dodder in order to supplement the water of the PoddleRiver which supplied Dublin with drinking water. It was believeduntil lately that the citizens had built this in 1244, but recentresearch has shown that it was built by the monks of St. Thomas’sAbbey in Thomas Street at an earlier date and altered by thecitizens in 1244 to increase the flow of water. In normal states ofthe river almost all of the water was turned into the watercourse.This explains why the ford was located below the weir, in thealmost dry river bed. There were sluice gates to control the water.From 1845 when the Dodder was straightened and deepened therewas a precipitous drop of 20 feet into the river bed where the fordhad been. For many years after this, the only way for pedestriansto cross during a flood, was the dangerous one of wading alongthe top of the weir. A plank bridge was next put up bysubscription, but was soon washed away and a lattice bridge waserected about 1860.72


GLENASMOLE ROADSLattice bridge erected about 1860, this bridge was replaced by the presentstructure when a new bridge was built by South Dublin County Council andopened in 1995.The first mill of many millson the city watercourse wasBella Vista which survived inpart down to about 40 yearsago. The driveway andbridge which existed thenappeared to be part of the oldpassage along the Dodder.The gate lodge also survivedto within the last few yearswhen it was demolished tomake way for the roundaboutat Balrothery. It stood on theopposite side of the road,The engine house of Bella Vista mill.facing the gate and wasexceptionally picturesque. It was described by Maurice Craig as“an exciting incident in an otherwise uninteresting road”. All thatsurvives of the mill is the mill’s engine house.73


GLENASMOLE ROADSField CrossNearby is a granite crossstanding in a field. It bearsthe date 1867 and, as alreadymentioned in associationwith the field cross near St.Colmcille’s Well, was one ofthe many erected about thistime as a precaution againstcattle plague, probably inthe form of foot and mouthdisease. In addition to thecross adjacent to St.Colmcille’s Well there aresimilar field crosses atKiltipper and Tymon North.Field cross at FirhouseDelafordA short distance further on stood until recent years, one of themost attractive houses in the county. Delaford had started life inthe eighteenth century as a carman’s inn, and was then known asClandarrig. It was a two storied house and stood on the roadside.It was taken about 1800 by Councillor Bermingham who alteredthe line of the road in order to create a lawn in front of the house.He also built a single story extension in front containing a hall andtwo large reception rooms. It was rounded at each end and had anexcessively wide hall door. He altered the name of the house toSpringfield.In 1820 the house was bought by Mr. B.T. Ottley of the Office ofPublic Works who had changed the name to Delaford. He alsoextended the house by building a three storey addition to the back.The house and grounds were always kept in fine order down tothe time that it was sold for housing development in the 1970s.74


GLENASMOLE ROADSThe developers Messrs. McInerney made every effort to protectthe house from damage by building up the door and windows,but the vandals made such a wreck of the place that it had to bedemolished.Delaford, circa 1960. This side view of Delaford clearly shows the three phasesof development.CherryfieldOpposite to the front gate of Delaford there was a narrow passageleading down to another ford beside the paper mill at Bella Vista.A short distance further on is another narrow lane which wasformerly the main road and leads to the ford which was used byall traffic before Templeogue bridge was built in 1798. This leadsdown behind a house named Cherryfield which in the eighteenthcentury was called Cherrytree. The river bed at that time was ofimmense width and the water ran in shallow channels through thegravel. As already mentioned, the river was straightened anddeepened in 1846 and it would now be quite impossible to cross it,although this was still possible by means of stepping stones as lateas 1912.75


GLENASMOLE ROADSCherryfield, circa 1960.Below Cherryfield the river forms a number of great loops andcomes very close to the road at a spot known as Pussy’s Lep,where a massive stone abutment has been erected to preventfurther erosion. The water forms a deep pool here and wasformerly a popular swimming place with boys of theneighbourhood.The west bank of the Dodder from Old Bawn to Templeogue hasbeen covered in Patrick Healy’s book All Roads Lead to Tallaght.Author’s AcknowledgementsThese few notes on Glenasmole have covered as far as possibleeverything of interest in the glen, on the surrounding mountainsand on nearby roads. The preparation has entailed a considerableamount of research and a considerable amount of field work. It isto be hoped that it has been of some interest and has given asmuch pleasure to the readers as it has given to the collector.76


GLENASMOLE ROADSOld Firhouse Road in 1992, looking eastwards towards Ballycullen Road.In 2001, Spawell Bridge opened. The bridge is very close to the line of the pathwhich led to the ancient ford of Templeogue.77


GLENASMOLE ROADSThe new Carmelite Monastery at Firhouse was opened in 2003. Thebuilding on the right served as Firhouse National School 1869-1955.The ancient character of Sally Park had been preserved, especially thestabling and farm yard. The outhouses were demolished to make way forthe realigned Firhouse Road.78


GLENASMOLE ROADSAppendix I — Footnotes1 Handcock. History of Tallaght, p. 82.2 Price. “Powerscourt and the Territory of Fercullen”, J.R.S.A.I.1953, p. 130.3 Price. “The Manor of Bothercolyn,” J.R.S.A.I. 1944, p. 107.4 Morris. “The Slighe Cualann”, J.R.S.A.I. 1938.5 Ordnance Survey Sheet No. 21 (6”), 1837 ed.6 Handcock. History of Tallaght, p. 74.7 Dickson. The Life of Michael Dwyer, p. 396.8 Little. Malachi Horan Remembers, p. 43.9 Handcock. History of Tallaght, p. 130.10 Ball. History of the County Dublin, Part III, p. 38.11 Handcock. History of Tallaght, p. 73.12 Stephenson. “Mills on the Dodder”, Dublin Historical Record,Vol. 12, p. 93.13 Dixon. “The Rathmines Waterworks”, Handbook of theDublin District. 1908, p. 392.14 O’Curry. Ordnance Survey Letters, p. 46-48.15 Piatt. Feasta 1952.16 Cobbe Estate Documents in National Library.17 Handcock. History of Tallaght, p. 80.18 Thom’s Directory 1850-1900.19 MacNeill and Dix. “Dolmen at Glenasmole”, J.R.S.A.I. 1926,p. 122-123.20 O’Curry. Ordnance Survey Letters, p. 76-77.21 Handcock. History of Tallaght, p. 83.22 O’Curry. Ordnance Survey Letters, p. 76-77.23 O’Donovan. Ordnance Survey Memoranda.24 I am indebted to Professor James Brindley of U.C.D., for drawingmy attention to this monument and to the tumuli in Piperstowntownland.25 Price. “Antiquities and Place Names”, Dublin Historical Record,Vol. II, p. 121.26 Ball. History of the County of Dublin, Part III, p. 38.27 Handcock. History of Tallaght, p. 78.28 Ordnance Survey Memoranda.79


GLENASMOLE ROADS29 Cobbe Estate Documents in National Library.30 Fitzachery. “The Dodder”, The New and Dublin Lanthorn, 1901.31 Handcock. History of Tallaght, p. 76.32 Henderson in Evening Herald, 27th March, 1915.33 Valuation Office Records.34 O’Curry. Ordnance Survey Letters, p. 72-73.35 Handcock. History of Tallaght, p. 89.36 Ibid., p. 86.37 Price (Ed.). Austin Cooper’s Diaries, p. 43.38 O’Foghludha. “The Irish name of Terenure”, Dublin HistoricalRecord, Vol. XII, p. 64.39 Croker (Ed.). Memoirs of Joseph Holt, Vol. I.40 I am indebted to Mr. Liam Price for directions as to the locationof this rock.41 Price. The Place Names of County Wicklow, Part V, p. 301.42 O’Curry. Ordnance Survey Letters, p. 76.43 Price, “Miscellanea,” J.R.S.A.I. 1941, p. 152.44 Talks for the Troops (Archaeology).45 Faulkner’s Dublin Journal, 28. 6. 1788.46 Stokes. The Destruction of Dá Dearga’s Hostel.47 Morris. “Where was Bruidhean Dá Dearga?”, J.R.S.A.I., 1935,p. 297.48 MacAlister. “Burial Carn on Seefin Mountain”, J.R.S.A.I. 1932,p. 153.49 MacAlister. “Two Carved stones in Seefin Cairn”, J.R.S.A.I. 1937,p. 313.50 Price. “Antiquities and Place Names”, Dublin Historical Record,Vol. II, p. 121.51 Malone. The Open Road, p. 39.52 Little. Malachi Horan Remembers, p. 128.53 Ordnance Survey Memoranda.80


GLENASMOLE ROADSAppendix II — BibliographyAn Act for cleansing and repairing the Water-Course leading from the riverDodeer and to prevent the diverting and corrupting the water therein.Dublin, King’s Arms, Copper Alley: Andrew Cooke, printer to theKing’s Most Excellent Majesty, 1719.Anonymous. “The mills on the Dodder and the City Watercourse.”Dublin Historical Record 12 (1950): 93-95.Anonymous. “Guide to antiquities in the Dublin District.” Journal ofthe Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 44 (1914): 223-296.Archer, Joseph. Statistical survey of the county Dublin with observationson the means of improvement drawn up for the consideration and by order ofThe Dublin Society. Dublin: Graisberry and Campbell, 1801.Ball, Francis Elrington. A history of the county Dublin. Vol III. Dublin:Gill and Macmillan, 1979. (6 vols., reproduced by photo lithographyfrom the 1st. impression of 1902).Available:http://www.eiretek.org/chapters/books/ball1-6/balllist.htm,14th August 2006.Cobbe Estate papers in the National Library of Ireland. (microfilm)P. 4033.Cooper, Austin. An eighteenth century antiquary; the sketches, notes anddiaries of Austin Cooper (1759-1830) Printed by direction of his greatgrandson, Albert Damer Cooper. Ed. Liam Price, M.R.I.A. Dublin:J. Falconer, 1942.D’Alton, John. The history of county Dublin. Cork: Tower Books, 1976.(Originally published Dublin: Hodges & Smith, 1838). Available:http://www.eiretek.org/chapters/books/Dalton/daltindex.htm,14th August 2006.81


GLENASMOLE ROADSThe Destruction of Dá Derga’s Hostel. Translated by Whitley Stokes.Vol. XLIX, Part 3. The Harvard Classics. New York: P.F. Collier &Son, 1909–14. Available:http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/1100derga.html,14th August, 2006 also Available:http://www.bartleby.com/br/04903.html, 14th August, 2006.Dickson, Charles. The life of Michael Dwyer, with some account of hiscompanions. Dublin: Browne and Nolan Limited, 1944.Dixon, F. P. “The Rathmines Urban District Council Waterworks atGleann-na-Smól.” British Association for the Advancement of Science:Handbook to the city of Dublin and the surrounding district. Prepared for theMeeting of the British Association, September, 1908. Dublin: UniversityPress, 1908: 391-393.Dúchas, the Heritage Service. Record of monuments and places protectedunder section 12 of the National Monuments (Amendment) Act 1994,county of Fingal, Dublin County Borough, county of South Dublin, countyof Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown. [Maps and 1 book] Dublin: Dúchas, theHeritage Service, 1998.Duncan, William. Maps of the county of Dublin. Dublin: WilliamDuncan, 1821.Faulkner, George. Dublin Journal, 28th June 1788.Fitzachery, John Christopher. “The Dodder.” Rathmines News andDublin Lantern, (precise date not given) 1901.Fitzachary, John Christopher. The Dodder its history traditions andassociations. Dublin, 1901.Handcock, William Domville. The history and antiquities of Tallaght inthe county of Dublin. 2nd ed. revised and enlarged. Dublin: HodgesFiggis,1899. Facsimile edition. Cork: Tower Books, 1976. Facsimileedition. Dublin: Anna Livia Press,1991. Available:www.eiretek.org/chapters/books/Handcock/tallaghtindex.htm,14th August, 2006.82


GLENASMOLE ROADSHealy, Patrick. “The Valley of Glenasmole.” Dublin Historical Record 16(1960-61): 109-130.Henderson,W.A..”Sunday walks, Firhouse to Glenasmole.” SaturdayHerald 27th Mar 1915: 6.Holt, Joseph. Memoirs of Joseph Holt, general of the Irish rebels, in 1798, ed.from his original manuscript in the possession of Sir William Betham, by T.Crofton Croker. London: H. Colburn, 1838. Vol. I.Irish Manuscripts Commission. The civil Survey, A.D. 1654-1656 Vol.VII County of Dublin, prepared for publication with introductorynotes and appendices by Robert C. Simington. Dublin: StationeryOffice, 1945.Joyce, Weston St. John. The neighbourhood of Dublin. Dublin: Gill andMacmillan, 1977. (originally published, 1912, text of the 1977 editionis a photographic reproduction of the 1939 edition. Available:www.eiretek.org/chapters/books/Neighbourhood/contents.html14th August, 2006.Joyce, Weston St. John. Rambles near Dublin. 2nd ed. Dublin: EveningTelegraph Office, 1890.Lewis, Samuel A topographical dictionary of Ireland, comprising the severalcounties, cities, boroughs, corporate, market, and post towns, parishes, andvillages, with historical and statistical descriptions. 2 vols. London: S.Lewis & Co. 1837.Little, George A.. Malachi Horan remembers. Dublin: M.H.Gill and SonLtd., 1943.MacAlister, R.A.S.: “A burial carn on Seefin Mountain, Co. Wicklow.”Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries 62 (1932): 153-157.MacAlister, R.A.S.: “Two carved stones in the Seefinn Carn.” (note).Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries 67 (1937): 312-313.Mac Giolla Phádraig, Brian. “The Irish Name of Terenure.” DublinHistorical Record 12 (1951): 89-91.83


GLENASMOLE ROADSPetty, William. Hiberniae Delineatio: atlas of Ireland. Newcastle uponTyne: Frank Graham, 1968. (original maps drawn c. 1660, engraved c.1663, published 1685, based on the Down Survey maps).Piatt, Donn S. “Seanghaeltacht Chontae Átha Cliath. (1536-1933).”Feasta Feabhra 1952: 9-12.Piatt, Donn S. “An dara cuid - Seanghaeltacht Átha Cliath An NaoúCéad Déag agus go deireadh. Feasta Márta 1952: 2-4.Price, Liam. “The Antiquities and Place Names of South CountyDublin.” Dublin Historical Record 2 (1939-40): 121-133.Price, Liam. “The Manor of Bothercolyn.” Journal of the Royal Society ofAntiquaries of Ireland. 74 (1944): 107-118.Price, Liam: “Two Bog Finds from Co. Wicklow.” (note) Journal of theRoyal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 71 (1941):151-152.Price, Liam. The place names of Co Wicklow, part 5 The Barony ofRathdown. Dublin: The Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies, 1957.Price, Liam. “Powerscourt and the Territory of Fercullen.” Journal ofthe Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 83 (1953): 117-132.Read, Charles Anderson. The cabinet of Irish literature: selections from theworks of the chief poets, orators and prose writers of Irelands. 4 vols. New ed.revised and greatly extended by Katharine Tynan Hinkson. London:Gresham Publishing, 1902-5.[Rocque, John ]. The A to Z of Georgian Dublin: John Rocque’s maps of thecity in 1756 and the county in 1760. Ed. Paul Ferguson. Lympne Castle,Kent: Harry Margary in association with Trinity College LibraryDublin, 1998.Rocque, John. An actual survey of the county of Dublin on the same scaleas those of Middlesex, Oxford, Barks and Buckinghamshire by John Rocque.(4 sheets) 1760.85


GLENASMOLE ROADSRynne, Etienne and Ó hÉailidhe, Pádraig. “A group of prehistoricsites at Piperstown, Co. Dublin.” Proceedings of The Royal Irish Academy64 (1965-1966), Section C: 61-84.Stephenson, P. J.. “Mills on the Dodder and the City Watercourse.”Dublin Historical Record 12 (1951): 93-95.Taylor, George and Andrew Skinner. Maps of the roads of Ireland.Shannon: Irish University Press, 1969. (originally published 1778,second edition 1783).Taylor, John. John Taylor’s map of the environs of Dublin extending 10 to14 miles from the castle, by actual survey, on a scale of 2 inches to one mile.Dublin: Phoenix Maps, 1989. (single sheet facsimile of the two sheetedition of 1816).Thom’s Irish Almanac and Official Directory. (various dates 1850-1900).Dublin: Alexander Thom, various dates 1850-1900.86


GLENASMOLE ROADSRynne, Etienne and Ó hÉailidhe, Pádraig. “A group of prehistoricsites at Piperstown, Co. Dublin.” Proceedings of The Royal Irish Academy64 (1965-1966), Section C: 61-84.Stephenson, P. J.. “Mills on the Dodder and the City Watercourse.”Dublin Historical Record 12 (1951): 93-95.Taylor, George and Andrew Skinner. Maps of the roads of Ireland.Shannon: Irish University Press, 1969. (originally published 1778,second edition 1783).Taylor, John. John Taylor’s map of the environs of Dublin extending 10 to14 miles from the castle, by actual survey, on a scale of 2 inches to one mile.Dublin: Phoenix Maps, 1989. (single sheet facsimile of the two sheetedition of 1816).Thom’s Irish Almanac and Official Directory. (various dates 1850-1900).Dublin: Alexander Thom, various dates 1850-1900.86


GLENASMOLE ROADSAppendix IIILiosta logainmneacha agus ainmneacha páirceanna i nGleann naSmól a bhailigh Tomás Maher agus daltaí bailíodh ó BhunscoilGhleann na Smól.List of placenames and fieldnames in Gleanasmole collected byTomás Maher and pupils from Glenasmole National School.Name Irish Version English TranslationGaradoo Garrdha dubh Black Cultivated PlotSleecora Sliabh Corrach Rough MountainCleestalk Claí Stáca Fence of StakesPladavore Plodach Mhór Great Slushy or MuddyPlaceMunvore Móin Mhór Big BoglandLockin (Lane) Lochán Pond (Lane)Farnawolla Fearann an Bhólaigh Land of the CattleCora Caol Cora Caol Narrow WeirAill Mhór Aill Mhór Big CliffThe Ling An Linn The PoolMungorives Móin Garbh Rough BoglandMorgawn Mongán Overgrown Swamp87


GLENASMOLE ROADSName Irish Version English TranslationAllagour Aill an Ghabhair Cliff of the GoatCeapóg Ceapóg Little Green PlotMoonatubber Móin an tobhair Bogland of the WellCarraig (Mountain) Carraig Rock (Mountain)Annaleckey Abhann an leice River of the Flat StonesSruans Srutháin Streams (wet place)Spinkín Spincín Little Pinnacle or CragAskanair Easca an Aoire Hollow of the ShepherdThe Ord An Aird The Height88


South DublinCounty CouncilComhairle ContaeÁtha Cliath TheasThis publication has received support fromthe Heritage Council under the 2006Publications Grant Scheme.GLENASMOLE ROADS Patrick HealyPrice 5.00B

More magazines by this user
Similar magazines