Presencing and PrototypingPrinciplesJune 23, 2011, AarhusOtto ScharmerMITPresencing Institutewww.presencing.com
Ecological Divide: 1.5Human - NatureSocial Divide: 1Human - HumanSpiritual DivideHuman - Self© 2011 Otto Scharmer
ABSENCINGSOCIAL PATHOLOGY!Economies of Destruction!holding onDE-SENSINGentrenchingDENYINGblindingDOWNLOADINGSTUCK INONE SELF/WILLSTUCK INONE WORLD(US VS. THEM)STUCK INONE TRUTH/VIEWmanipulatingDELUDINGabusingABORTINGannihilatingDESTROYINGSOCIAL EMERGENCE!Economies of Creation!VoJVoCVoFDOWNLOADINGsuspendingSEEINGredirectingSENSINGletting goOPENMINDOPENHEARTOPENWILLPERFORMINGembodyingPROTOTYPINGenactingCRYSTALLIZINGletting comePRESENCING
© 2011 Otto Scharmer
© 2011 Otto Scharmer1. Practice the U – don’t preach it.
© 2011 Otto Scharmer2. Become a blackbelt observer and listener.
3. Connect to your intention and…© 2011 Otto Scharmer…operate as an instrument.
© 2011 Otto Scharmer4. When reality opens up, be fully present with it– and then act from the NOW.
© 2011 Otto Scharmer5. Follow Your Heart:Do what you love,love what you do.
© 2011 Otto Scharmer6. Always be in dialogue with the universe.
7. Create a holding space that supports your journey.© 2011 Otto Scharmer
© 2011 Otto Scharmer8. Balance your talking-doing ratio.
© 2011 Otto Scharmer9. Identify the crack—the opening to the future—and understand the imperatives for global change
10. Use different languages with different stakeholders—connect to them in terms of what they care about.
11. If you want to change others,you need to be open to changing yourself first.
© 2011 Otto Scharmer12. Co-initiate a core group of local leadersthat lead from the heart.
13. Use sensing journeys that help people to see thesystem from the edges and use collective sensingmechanisms to see the system from the whole.© 2011 Otto Scharmer
14. Create holding spaces that support the team at thetop (and emerging leaders) to lead theirindividual and collective transformation journey.© 2011 Otto Scharmer
15. Prototype by- clarify intention- commit core group- get stakeholder buy-in- involve users and other key stakeholders- fail early to learn quickly: rapid, right, rough- create support structure for the new- imposing tough milestones/feedback cycles- keep connecting the dots(including killing what doesn’t work)- involve community to review results© 2011 Otto Scharmer
16. Create places that support growing the newand that facilitate the emerging whole.
17. Co-evolve the larger system by using the prototypesas seeds for systemic change through linkingmicro-level changes with macro-level leadership.© 2011 Otto Scharmer
18. Never give up. Never give up. You are not alone.© 2011 Otto Scharmer
U Process: Tools/PracticesCo-initiating: 1. Attend to the crack2. Listen to others3. Map / engage the field4. Hold space for uncovering common intentionCo-evolving:Co-sensing:1. Hold space for team2. Identify places and people of most potential3. Sensing: • sensing journeys,• stakeholder interviews,• shadowing…4. Co-sensing synthesis:• Stepping into the shoes• Sculpting• Systems Thinking• Scenario Thinking• Social Presencing TheaterPresencing:Connecting to SourceCo-creating:1. Follow the Crack: feel it. 2. Deepen and clarify purpose + intention3. The universe is a helpful place: "If the future knocks, first say yes.4. Seek it with your hands: engage usersand other key stakeholders to learn bydoing (fail soon to learn fast)5. Create holding space for prototyping (w.multiple milestones and stakeholderfeedback loops that facilitate an intenseculture of fast cycle learning + iteration)
Resources and LiteratureScharmer, C. Otto (2007). Theory U: Leading from the EmergingFuture As It Emerges. The Social Technology of Presencing,Cambridge, MA: SoL Press.Senge, P., C. O. Scharmer, J. Jaworski, and B. S. Flowers. (2004).Presence: Human Purpose and the Field of the Future,Cambridge, MA: SoL Press.www.presencing.comwww.synergos.orgwww.sustainablefoodlab.orgwww.ottoscharmer.com