Village of Folsom Draft

villageoffolsom.com
  • No tags were found...

Village of Folsom Draft

Incorporation of FolsomBy 1880, the area that is now the Village of Folsom was occupied byseveral families. As recorded in the 1880 United State Census,adults in Folsom were listed either as farmers or a housewives. Atthe time St. Tammany continued to be mostly virgin forestland andland used for cultivating crops. The parish was traversed by tradingroutes, including Holmesville Road, which were dirt roads that weremaintained by the St. Tammany Police Jury. Police Juries were theform of local government at the time and semi-annual meetingswere held in January and July. Often, the Jury would wait 3-4 daysbefore a quorum was present to being the meetings and meetingswould last up to 6 days.Land in the area was available for homesteading under theRecovery and Reclaims Acts of 1855 and 1857, averaging about$1.25 per acre. Between 1868 and 1886, over 3,200 new acres ofland were homesteaded, in 1887 another 2,500 acres of land, andbetween 1888 and 1897, another 4,000 acres of land washomesteaded in the Folsom area iii . Amidst this growth in newlandowners, Native American tribes still lived and traded.It was in 1904, when George M. Fendlason and his brother HinesNorman filed for a plat of survey, that Folsom became a village.Since it became a village, Folsom has been known for its toweringpines and its rolling hills. Folsom earned its name from PresidentGrover Cleveland’s wife, Frances Folsom Cleveland, an icon forworking women at the time. One of the first lots was sold inFolsom in November 1904.In 1881, work began on the Northshore’s railroad. Completesd in1887, this railroad connected New Orleans to St. Tammany Parish,including Slidell, Lacombe, Mandeville, and Abita Springs. By 1888,Covington was connected and by 1905, the East Louisiana Railroadhad laid tracks down and built a depot on what is now RailroadAvenue in Folsom.During this time, the principle crops of the area were cane, cotton,rice, and corn, but through the railroad and with the abundance oflocal pine, Folsom was also known as a logging community. In1885, eggs cost 20 cents a dozen, coffee 20 cents a pound, cheese10 cents a pound, and haircuts 20 cents. By 1908, as reported by theSt. Tammany Farmer, the Village had grown to include severalprosperous merchants, including a general merchandise store, drugstore, a barbershop, a meat market, a brick company, a gincompany, and a what was said to be one of the best hotels in thearea.In 1915, the Village of Folsom was incorporated, however Folsomdid not have enough revenue to operate as an incorporated villagebetween 1928 and 1947. Folsom was re-incorporated in 1947 and itwas then that Folsom’s municipal government was established withWilliam P. Dyess becoming the first mayor and HaydenLavinghouse the first policeman. The Louisiana State Tobacco Taxof 1947 provided the much needed tax revenue for the Village.In 1928, the first bridge connecting St. Tammany Paris to theSouthshore and New Orleans opened. This bridge had severalnames including the Ponchatrain Toll Bridge, the Watson-WilliamsBridge, the Five-Mile Bridge, the Maestri Bridge, and finally the USHwy 11 Bridge.Village of Folsom, LADRAFT Comprehensive Master Plan – 11.7.2010 Draft4

More magazines by this user
Similar magazines