Aim: What are some results from stress within the
I. Stress the amount of force per unit that is placed on
a given material.
A. Three types of stress:
1. compression – rocks are squeezed together
2. tension – force that pulls rocks apart
3. shearing – pushes rocks in opposite horizontal
What types of plate boundaries are associated with:
B. Results of Stress
1. Folding – the process of squeezing rocks into folds.
Ex: Himalayas, Alps, Rockies formed from folding.
a. Anticlines – upfolds
b. Synclines downfolds
2. Faulting – a crack in the earth’s surface along which
movement has occurred. Faulting often takes place along
boundaries between crustal plates. Movements of these
plates at their boundaries cause faulting.
More magazines by this user