Your tenancy with us

Your tenancy with us - Viridian Housing

Your tenancy

with us


This leaflet

explains your

tenancy with

us, and what

your rights and


are as a tenant.




Your tenancy

with us

What does my tenancy agreement mean?

Your tenancy agreement is the legal contract between you (the

tenant) and Viridian Housing (the landlord).

We have four main types of tenancy:

• Secure (or fair rent) tenancies - almost all tenancies which started

before 15 January 1989

• Assured tenancies - almost all tenancies which started on or after

15 January 1989

• Starter tenancies - these may be issued for the first 12-18 months

of new tenancies and will automatically convert to an assured

tenancy if the conditions of the tenancy have not been broken in

terms of anti-social behaviour

• Assured Shorthold tenancies - these give tenants a legal right to

live in the accommodation for a period of time

A mutual exchange is when tenants “swap” tenancies (with the

agreement of their landlord) and take over each others tenancy,

including any rights or limitations that go with them. In this particular

instance, a new tenancy has not been created. See the leaflet

‘What is a mutual exchange?’ for further information or contact your

housing officer.

Depending upon your type of tenancy, your tenancy agreement

may not be changed except for the amount of rent and service

charge and the services provided unless:

• we both agree to the change

• we tell you about any proposed change and give you time to

tell us what you think about it. We must take note of what you and

other tenants say, and will give you four weeks’ notice before any

change becomes effective.

Contact your housing officer for further information on how this

affects you.


What are my rights and responsibilities as a tenant

of Viridian?

Although your tenancy agreement gives full details of your rights

and responsibilities as a resident, the main points you should be

aware of are set out below.

• To live in your home (security of tenure)

Your tenancy gives you exclusive use of your home. We can usually

only take it away from you by court order if you have broken a

condition of your tenancy, which could include amongst other


• The tenancy address is no longer your main home

• You have continuously paid your rent late

• You, someone living with you or someone who visits you has:

- damaged or neglected your home

- harassed or caused a nuisance to your neighbours

- been convicted of using your home for a criminal offence

such as drug dealing

• You die and no-one in the property has the right to take over

the tenancy.

Paying your rent

As a tenant, you agree to pay your rent in full and on time. Details

on the different ways you can pay your rent, and what would

happen if you do not, can be found in the information leaflet

‘Paying your rent/service charges’.

Housing Benefit

If you are entitled to receive Housing Benefit, you are responsible for:


• Making your application for Housing Benefit to the local

authority promptly

• Providing all information requested by them as quickly as


• Telling them of any change in circumstances that may affect

your entitlement

• Paying any Housing Benefit paid directly to you into your rent


• Paying any rent or charges not covered by Housing Benefit


As your landlord, we must keep your home in good repair and make

sure it is safe and fit to live in. We are responsible for maintaining the

structure of the building and keeping the plumbing, heating and

electrical systems in proper working order. We are also responsible

for insuring the physical elements of the building such as bricks and

mortar, but this does not include the contents of your home. We

strongly recommend that you arrange your own insurance to cover

your personal contents such as furniture, floor coverings, electrical

appliances, other personal belongings and decorations.

It is your responsibility to tell us about any repairs that are needed.

You are responsible for any damage to the property that has been

caused deliberately, accidentally or through neglect. If we repair

such damage, we reserve the right to recharge you for the cost of

the works carried out.

Providing access for repairs, maintenance and inspections

Under your tenancy agreement you must allow us into your home to

carry out repairs, maintenance and inspections during reasonable

hours of the daytime and at other times in an emergency.

When ever possible, we will give notice of our intention to visit.

Gas safety inspections

As your landlord, we have a legal responsibility to make sure that

all gas appliances, fittings and flues owned by us are safe. The law

states that every 12 months we must arrange gas safety inspections

to be carried out by Gas Safe registered engineers. Within 28 days

of the inspection being completed you will receive a copy of the

Gas Safety Certificate. It is important that you allow access for gas

inspections to take place so that we can ensure you and your

neighbours are kept safe and our appliances continue to work


Decorating your home

You are responsible for keeping the inside of your home clean and

in good decorative order.

Upkeep of gardens

If you have a garden you are responsible for keeping it tidy. You must

keep the grass cut and any hedges trimmed, and keep the garden

free of rubbish.


The right to improve your home

You have the right to carry out improvements to your home

providing you get written permission from us before doing so - this

is explained more fully in the our ‘Repairs’ leaflet. The repairs leaflet

also explains your right to be paid compensation for carrying out

improvements should you later leave your home.

The right to occupy

You have the right to live in your home without interruption or

interference from us as long as you meet all the conditions of your

tenancy, except when we need to carry out repairs, maintenance

or inspections.

Respect your neighbours

You must not cause a nuisance or harass your immediate

neighbours, those living in your neighbourhood, our employees or

contractors working on our behalf.

Frequently asked questions

Can I work from home?

We encourage people to consider working from their homes,

however there are some businesses that we would not give

permission for. These include carrying out vehicle repairs or running

a hairdressing business. Please contact your local or regional office

to discuss working from home. Before you start your business you

must get written permission.

I’m going away, do you need to know?

Your tenancy address must be your only or main home. If you are

going to be away from your home for longer than 28 days, you

must tell us in writing as soon as possible including when you expect

to return or we may consider the property to be abandoned. You

will also need to provide details of who we should contact in your

absence in case of an emergency.

Can I have a lodger or let rooms?

You may not have the right to take in a lodger or let rooms in your

home – contact your housing officer for further information.


What happens to my tenancy if I die?

Succession is when a tenancy is passed to another family member

who was living with the deceased at the time of their death.

Contact your housing officer for further information on how

succession would apply in your particular circumstances.

Can I pass on my tenancy to someone else?

Your tenancy agreement does not allow you to pass on your

tenancy to anyone else, called an assignment, unless:

• You exchange your home with another tenant

• A court makes an order that the property should be passed from

one spouse or civil partner to another

• You are a Secure tenant and the person would be qualified to

succeed to the tenancy if you died, as long as the home meets

their needs

Regardless of the circumstances, you must not pass on your tenancy

without getting our written permission first.

What information do I have a right to?

You have a right to the following information:

• The terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement

• A list of the services that are funded through the service charge

• How changes to your conditions of tenancy can be made

Your responsibilities under the tenancy agreement

• Information about the services you may receive and the

standards of service you can expect

• The complaints and compensation policy

• How we will handle the information you give us

• The relevant tenants’ charter published by the regulator of

affordable housing

• Housing management policies

• Details of any representative tenant groups which you may join

Most of this information is in your tenancy agreement or included

in the information leaflets in your handbook. Other information will

either be sent to you on request or available from your local or

regional office.


Will I be consulted about matters that affect me?

You have the right to consulted about:

• Changes in the management and maintenance of your home,

such as passing certain services to outside contractors

• Improvements or major repairs to your home or estate

• Plans to demolish your home

• Plans to transfer your home to another landlord

Details of how we will consult you given in the information leaflet

called ‘Getting involved’.

Can I exchange my property?

You have the right to swap or exchange your home, but you must

have our written permission before you move. See the leaflet called

‘Mutual exchange’ for further information or contact your housing


How can I end my tenancy?

If you want to end your tenancy, you must give us at least four weeks

written notice before the Sunday on which you want your tenancy

to end.

You can leave your home and return the keys before the notice

period finishes, but we will continue to charge you rent/service

charge for four weeks or until the Sunday after you return all the

keys, whichever is the least. If you do not return the keys to us, we will

continue to charge you rent until we repossess your home. We will

also charge you for the cost of gaining entry to the property and for

changing the locks.

You are responsible for any redecoration and/or repairing damages

that is necessary before we can relet your home to the next tenant,

and we will charge you reasonable costs for any such work that

needs be done.

Upon your death, your executors must continue to pay four weeks’

rent while your belongings are being removed from the property

of until the keys have been returned, whichever is the latest. We will

also charge to your estate the cost of any redecorating or repairs

that are required before we can relet your home to the next tenant.


Can I see personal information that the organisation holds on me?

You have the right under the Data Protection Act 1998 to check the

details we hold on you, we will give you access or supply a copy of

your file within 40 days of receiving your request and payment of

£10 charged for putting the arrangements in place. When you visit

our office, you will need to confirm your identity to us before you

can view the information.

If you disagree with any of the information we hold, you have the

right to ask us to delete it, change it or record your disagreement.

If you feel we have not acted reasonably or if we refuse to change

information you feel is incorrect, you have the right to make a

complaint to us. The leaflet ‘Making a complaint’ gives details of

how this can be done.

Will my information be kept confidential?

We treat all information you give us about yourself and your family

as confidential. We make sure that the information held on our

computer system is accurate, relevant and necessary and keep

access to it secure by using a password system.

We will not provide information to others about individual residents,

including present or former tenants, without permission unless:

• there is a life-threatening situation and we believe passing on

the information is likely to prevent loss of life, serious injury or

risk to health

• it may prevent or assist with detecting a crime

• we have a legal obligation to provide the information

• or to third parities who will assist us in providing a housing

management service.

Anti-social behaviour

Noise – always be thoughtful of your neighbours to avoid disturbing

them. Remember that however good your favourite music or TV

programme is, your neighbours may not want to hear it.

Children – if you have children, you are responsible for their

behaviour in and around your home or on the estate where you live.

We get lots of complaints about the damage children cause when

playing, particularly ball games so try to be aware of what they are

doing. If your children are not playing in your garden or outside your

own house, they may be causing a nuisance somewhere else.


Visitors – you are responsible for all visitors to your property. If your

visitors arrive or leave early in the morning or late at night, please

ensure they are considerate to avoid disturbing your neighbours.

Pets – you must get our prior written permission if you wish to keep a

pet, which may be withdrawn if your pet causes a nuisance. If you

have a dog, remember that not everyone is comfortable with them

and keep it under control at all times. Always keep it on a lead in

shared areas, and if you have a back garden make sure it is secure

to prevent your dog from getting out. You must also make sure it

does not bark constantly.

Please ensure that your pets do not foul in other people’s gardens

or in the shared areas.

Neighbours – try to speak to your neighbours as early as possible

before any problem gets worse. If you feel you cannot talk to your

neighbours yourself, please contact your housing officer for further

advice on what to do.

This subject is covered more fully in the leaflet ‘Anti-social behaviour

and hate crime/incidents’, which also sets out our approach to

tackling such issues.

Help and advice

If you have any questions, need help understanding this leaflet or

would like it in another format, for example in large print, Braille or on

audio tape, please contact your local or regional office. Full details

can be found in our ‘How to contact us’ leaflet or on our website



تشرح لك هذه الكراسة عقد إيجارك معنا،‏ وما هي حقوقك وما هي مسؤولياتك آمستأجر.‏ إذا أردت نسخة من هذه الكراسة بلغتك

الخاصة،‏ يرجى الاتصال بمكتبك المحلي أو الإقليمي.‏


گه تو ه ستاسې

دا معلوماتپاڼه له موږ سره ستاسې د کرايه دارۍ په اړه معلومات ورکوي او د کرايه دار پ

حقونه او مسوليتونه بيانوي.‏ که غواړئ چې يو نقل يې پر خپله ژبه تر لاسه کړئ ل ط ف اً‏ له خپل ځايي يا

سيمه ييز دفتر سره تماس ونيسئ.‏


Niniejsza ulotka objaśnia warunki wynajmu mieszkania z naszej organizacji oraz prawa i

obowiązki mieszkańców. Jeżeli chcieliby Państwo otrzymać tą ulotkę w języku polskim,

prosimy o kontakt z lokalnym lub regionalnym biurem.


В данной листовке объясняются условия найма вашего жилья, а также ваши права и

обязанности в качестве квартиросъемщика. Если вы хотите получить копию этой

листовки на вашем родном языке, обратитесь в местную или региональную



Waxuu buugyarahani kuu sharxayaa kiraysiga aad dhinacayaga ka leedahay, waxa

xuquuqdaadu ay yihiin iyo waxa masuuliyadahaagu ay yihiin kirayste ahaan. Haddii aad

rabto in aad buugyarahan ka hesho nuqul ku qoran luqaddaada gaarka ah fadlan la xiriir

xafiiska xaafaddaada ama gobolka.


Este folleto explica su contrato de alquiler con nosotros, cuáles son sus derechos y cuáles

son sus deberes como inquilino. Si usted desea recibir un ejemplar de este formulario en su

propio idioma, sírvase comunicarse con su oficina local o regionaI.


Bu yaprakçk bir kirac olarak bizimle olan kiraclğnz, hangi haklara sahip olduğunuzu ve

sorumluluklarnzn neler olduğunu izah etmektedir. Eğer bu yaprakçğn kendi dilinizde olan

bir kopyasn arzu ediyorsanz, lütfen yerel ya da bölge ofisiniz ile temasa geçiniz.



This information has been checked by residents April 2010

Designed by

More magazines by this user
Similar magazines