Welcome to the Eynesbury Heritage Trail, which celebrates and interprets the heritage of
this unique property. Numerous points-of-interest and natural features can be found along
our two interconnected trails: 1. The red Homestead Trail (2km long) and 2. the green
Forest Trail (3km long). Look out for the signs which explain the features in this brochure.
Eynesbury Station was originally part of a much larger pastoral run of over 70,000
acres known as Exford which was owned by Simon Staughton. Before his death in
1863, Staughton divided Exford into four properties for his sons. Samuel Thomas
Staughton acquired the section we now call Eynesbury.
Construction of the Homestead began in 1872 and then in 1885 was extended to
include the bluestone Staff Quarters and Stables, creating a clearly defined hierarchy
of purpose-built buildings. Guests were welcomed into the formal rooms and
landscape at the front, far away from the bustling action at the rear.
As part of the redevelopment of Eynesbury, archaeological digs were carried out in
and around these key buildings, uncovering many important artefacts which provide
an insight into the lives of the residents of the day. These include buttons, bottles,
pins, writing implements and shoes.
Grey box Forest
Prior to settlement, the Melton region and surrounds was extensively covered in
Eucalypt woodlands. Grey Box grows much slower than other Eucalypt, and so
Eynesbury’s forest which covers some 268 hectares and is one of the best intact
groupings of the species still in Victoria, is highly significant.
• Please enjoy our heritage experience but remain on the marked trails.
• All native plants and animals are protected: some wildlife including kangaroos
and snakes inhabit the trails. Please avoid touching them.
• As bins are NOT provided, please take all rubbish with you.
• Camping, fires and domestic animals such as dogs are prohibited.
• It is recommended that you carry a mobile phone and bottled drinking water.
The gardens which surround the Homestead
on three sides are an important feature of the
formal landscape of the property and to this day
contain rare plantings including the Pyramid
Tree or Norfolk Hibiscus (Laguniara patersonia),
Canary Island Date Palm (Phoenix canariensis)
and Fiddlewood (Citharexylum sp.).
2 Ha-Ha Wall
The concept of the Ha-Ha wall originated in
England in the 17th century, as a way to visually
connect the gardens to the natural environment
beyond, by allowing extended green views
over a low wall. Eynesbury’s wall, one the only
genuine examples left today in Victoria, was
made from locally quarried bluestone.
3 Myer Houses
Developed in response to the post World War II
housing crisis, these prefabricated homes were
sold at the Myer Emporium and could be quickly
erected in just 15 days. The two homes built at
Eynesbury shortly after the Ballieu family bought
the property in 1947, were actually constructed
at the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation.
4 Timber Header Tank
The Eynesbury header tank was built around the
same time as the Homestead in the 1870’s and is
regarded as an unusual example of a rural water
supply system. Its role is not to collect rainwater
but rather to use gravity to build enough
pressure in order to supply domestic water to a
series of smaller tanks stored at ground level.
5 Butcher’s Shed
During the time that Eynesbury was a full time
pastoral property, on-site butchering was
common practice. Farms such as this, with a fully
occupied residence and a full staff of domestic
servants and station hands to feed were selfsufficient.
Freshly butchered meat was taken to
the meat and smoke house in readiness for meal
time at the residence.
6 Rural Buildings
Eynesbury is home to a variety of rural buildings
dating from as early as the 1840’s right up until
to the 1990’s. The Raised Barn, the Silos and
Dairy Building are significant examples of the
different types used on site during everyday
operations of the property. The Raised Barn was
elevated to protect the grain stocks from attack
7 Meat and Smoke Houses
In the days before modern refrigeration, the
Meat House was an integral farm outbuilding.
Storing meat in an open-sided meat house
has advantages over an underground cellar
which is more suited to longer term provisions.
Here at Eynesbury, they are strategically
located between the Butcher’s Shed and the
The bluestone Stables (now the Golf Pro Shop)
were built during the period from c. 1870 to
1885. The close proximity to the Homestead
reflects the integral role horses played on
the property. Today, the original bush pole
framework remains intact and the original floor
structure is viewable through the glass floor
This lake was intended to be both a landscape
design feature and to serve utilitarian purposes.
The glistening lake with stone and reed islands,
a short walk from the Homestead, provides
an aesthetic contrast against the pastoral
landscape, especially when viewed from a
distance away from the Homestead.
2 Shearer’s Quarters
During Eynesbury’s heyday as a rural station,
about 16,000 crossbred sheep and lambs
were shorn annually. The travelling shearers
were accommodated in these quarters which
comprise a dormitory, dining room, kitchen and
other small rooms. In the mid 1880’s, shearers
could earn £3 to £4 per week, about 8 times
what a shepherd earned.
3 Drop Slab Stables Hut
It is believed that prior to the construction of
the main Homestead, an out-station existed in
the 1860’s where the Drop Slab Stables Hut is
located, as Eynesbury was then part of a much
larger run called Exford. The permanent nature
of the hut and the evidence of other artefacts
from that period, supports the theory that a
settlement existed here.
4 Second Shearing Complex
In 1930, Eynesbury was sold by the Staughton
family to the Eynesbury Pastoral Company,
which operated a second shearing complex
on the western edge of the Grey Box
Woodland likely to have been built before
1947. The Shearer’s Quarters contain a baker’s
oven and a second fireplace presumably used
5 Bluestone Cottage
This cottage, still used as a home until 2006,
was built in 1860 and pre-dates the main
Homestead. It was originally a two room
residence constructed with rough bluestone
walls, but in 1880 two extra rooms and a hallway
were added. Further renovations in 1950 saw
the addition of the front verandah.
3 Drop Slab Hut
The Eynesbury Staff Quarters were built
around 1885 when the Homestead additions
were undertaken. The building, aside from
accommodating servants working in the
Homestead, also housed the dairy where fresh
milk was churned into butter and cream daily
using a small hand-operated churn.
10 Eynesbury Homestead
The magnificent bluestone Homestead was
built in the 1870’s by Samuel Staughton. It was
constructed in two phases: Firstly a doublestorey
bluestone residence designed in the
Georgian style, which remains today as the
central section of the building; and secondly
the extension wings built in 1885 to include the
dining, service and billiard rooms.
Ha Ha Wall
Meat & Smoke
quadrant.com.au VWE 33376
(03) 9971 0407
Guided Groups and School Groups
welcome (minimum of 6 people)
Melton & District Historical Society Inc
(03) 9747 3333
Shire of Melton
(03) 9747 7200
Eynesbury Land and Homes Sales
1300 396 372