Our Story, A Family Legacy Final for Yumpu

You also want an ePaper? Increase the reach of your titles

YUMPU automatically turns print PDFs into web optimized ePapers that Google loves.

Our Story, A Family Legacy

As told by Marjorie Foster Saltzman


Our Story, A Family Legacy

As told by Marjorie Foster Saltzman


Our Story, A Family Legacy

As told by Marjorie Foster Saltzman

Produced by Lisa Kagan Designs

Family Heirloom Art


Portland, Oregon

Lisa Kagan: Director, Oral Historian, Writer,

Photography Editor, Book Designer

Joella Werlin, Familore: Project Consultant,

Oral Historian, Text Editor

Julie Leuvrey: Genealogical Research, Family

History Consultant

Connie Lenzen, CG: Genealogical Research,

Genealogical Chart

Julie Zander: Copy Editor

Content for this book is based on oral history

interviews of Marjorie Foster Saltzman

and her four children: Jeff Saltzman; Barbara

Lovre; Dan Saltzman; and Julie Leuvrey.

Interviews initially were conducted by Joella

Werlin, Familore, beginning in 2004, and subsequently

by Lisa Kagan, Lisa Kagan Designs,


Copyright © 2009

Marjorie Foster Saltzman and her heirs

All rights reserved. Reproduction of the whole or any part of

the contents without permission is prohibited.

Printed by Stevens Printing,

Portland, Oregon.

Book binding by Grossenbacher Bros Inc.

Front cover caption:

A collection of photographs celebrating four generations of the

Saltzman family

Images from left to right, top row:

Goodman family: Lillian and Sam (back), Ophelia, Dora,

Celia, Charles and Rebecca (middle), Helen (front)

Jeff Saltzman, Jack Saltzman during the war years,

Julie Leuvrey

Images from left to right, bottom row:

Barb Lovre, Marjorie Foster Saltzman, Dan Saltzman

Foster family portrait, c. 1929: Shirley and Ophelia (back),

Betty, Jacob and Marjorie (front)

Photo montage by Lisa Kagan.

Specializing in Family Heirloom Art Books



This book has been created

as a way to share


my life experiences and

those of our ancestors

with my children and

~ Preface ~



The Foster and Goodman Families


Growing Up in Sandpoint


Oregon –

Reconnecting Roots



During the War Years


Marjorie and Jack’s Family


Planned Parenthood

Forty Years of Volunteerism


Origins of a Self-Made Man

The Saltzman and Miller Families


An Entrepreneur’s Legacy


Jeff, The First Born


carrying with it the


wisdom and insights

of all that has come

before. I hope that this

collection of our fam-

Barbara, Oldest Daughter


Dan, Youngest Son


Julie, The “Baby”


Three Generations Together

The Later Years


~ Family Tree and

Concluding Thoughts ~




For my family and future generations



This book has been created as a way to share my life experiences and those of our ancestors


think it is important to know where you come from.

with my children and grandchildren. Once all the older generations are gone, I want future generations

to have a place to go to learn about our family. This book is my answer to that. I hope it awakens

their curiosity about the past and encourages them as they build their own lives.

I began this process when Jack’s health was failing, before he passed away, with the idea that our

children and grandchildren also would have the opportunity to know him better through these pages.

I would love to have had a book like this when I was younger. Current technology makes it much

easier to access information than when I was growing up. Research on our ancestry helped us uncover

many stories that I never knew. I only wish I had the opportunity to hear these stories earlier in

my life, but I am thankful that now I can share them with my family. It makes me feel good to know

that younger generations can grow up with more knowledge of our family history than I did when I

was a child.

Life is continually changing, which is quite evident throughout this book. I believe that each generation

creates its own way, yet can really benefit from learning about what came before. I feel optimistic

about the opportunities available to my grandchildren. They will have access to the tools and

resources that they need to pursue their dreams. I think they will be able to do great things. Perhaps

one day when they are older, they will create a book like this about their own lives, weaving together

the stories of past, present and future generations.

I have created this book out of love — love for the future of my children and grandchildren, and

the children they will have one day. It is amazing to see all of the pieces come together.



Goodman Family

Lillian and Sam (back)

Ophelia, Dora, Celia, Charles

and Rebecca (middle)

Helen (front)

The Goodmans


The Goodman and Foster Families

My grandfather, Carl Wilhelm Gutman,

was born in May 1858 in

Latvia. The Gutman family lived

in a town called Sassmachen, in Courland, a

historic area of Jewish settlement in Latvia.

The town is now called Valdemarpils. Around

1882 Carl and his two brothers, Herman

and Joe, immigrated to the United States to

escape the threat of being enlisted into the

Russian army. When my grandfather went

through the naturalization process in the

United States, he decided to Americanize his

name, so he became Charles William Goodman.

Once he was admitted into the United

States, he traveled to Michigan to stay with his

cousin. Charles was a very remarkable young

man. Not only did he quickly learn the watch

repairing trade, but he also taught himself

English. He spoke without any trace of a

foreign accent. He never had a single day of

schooling as a child, and yet his favorite books

as an adult were by Darwin, Shakespeare and

Herbert Spencer (a popular philosopher of the

late 1800s).

Eventually Charles continued west to join

his brother in Chehalis, Washington, where he

Charles Goodman’s father

“Charles was a very remarkable young

man.... He never had a single day of

schooling as a child, and yet his favorite

books as an adult were by Darwin,

Shakespeare and Herbert Spencer.”

Charles Goodman’s mother


owned a clothing store. There, Charles opened

a jewelry shop, which he would continue to

own for many years. It was in Chehalis that

Charles met his first wife, Sarah. They had two

children, Sam and Lillian Goodman. His marriage

to Sarah ended in a tragedy. His wife was

in a horse-drawn buggy with their baby, and a

train whistle frightened the horse. The buggy

Dora’s father and his second wife, matchmakers for Dora and Charles

overturned and she was killed. Their baby,

Sam Goodman, survived the accident.

Following this extremely difficult period as

a widower, my grandfather was introduced to

my grandmother, Dora Hurwitz, in the most

unusual way. Dora was born in May 1874 in

Russia. She had immigrated to the United

States in 1896 to marry a cousin who passed

away shortly after she arrived.

Dora’s father, my great-grandfather,

was a widower, and his second wife

was a relative of Charles Goodman.

Through the two of them, they

arranged for Dora in Minneapolis

and Charles in Chehalis to meet by

correspondence. After exchanging

many letters and pictures, Charles

and Dora met in Seattle and got

married, much to the satisfaction of

their familial matchmakers.

The young couple moved to

Chehalis where they started their

life together. A few years later, they

moved with their young family

to Portland, Oregon, where they

spent the rest of their days. Charles

bought property for the family

home, which he had built at 714 E.

Madison Street in Portland in 1906.

He had the Goodman name carved

on the riser of the concrete steps

leading to the front door. This large

white colonial style house can still

be found in southeast Portland, at the current

address of 2036-2038 SE Madison. My

grandfather re-established his jewelry store

on southwest Morrison Street downtown. He

made an honest living, though the business

was never very financially successful.

Charles and Dora had four girls and two

boys of their own. Combined, they had eight

children in their family. My mother, Ophelia


The Goodman family at their home

at 714 E. Madison Street in Portland

Grace Goodman, was born June 18, 1900, in

Chehalis, Washington. Ophelia’s name, which

she did not like since it was so uncommon,

was inspired by Charles’s love of Shakespeare.

Ophelia was the third child, born a year after

twins Helen and Celia. Her younger siblings

were Rebecca, Louis and Mort. Two of my

mother’s sisters died during childhood. Celia

died of tuberculosis in 1905, at age six. Rebecca

died at age eleven of complications

from diabetes, before the invention of insulin.

Insulin was discovered only ten years after she

passed away.

Rebecca was a frail and beautiful child

with blue eyes and black hair. She did not

attend school because of her illness. Her last

summer was spent in Seaside, Oregon, since

the doctor recommended

the sea air. She died that

summer, but she came out

of a diabetic coma just long

enough to tell her mother,

Dora, that she had seen

heaven and the angels. From

that time forward, when

the children came into the

kitchen for lunch, Dora always

left the back door open

for Rebecca.

The Goodmans were a

very close family. My grandfather

Charles was adored by

his children, whom he loved

deeply. He loved music and

often sat outside his children’s

bedrooms and sang

opera to them until they

fell asleep. At dinner, the

children would take turns

sitting on his lap throughout

the meal. Charles preferred

spending time with his

children and their friends

rather than with his business

associates discussing adult

matters. According to my

Uncle Louis, Charles was

interested in their hearts and

minds, and Dora was interested

in their health and

their souls.

Charles Goodman


When my sisters and I were growing up,

we used to enjoy spending summers with the

Goodman family, and I learned most of what

I know about Orthodox Judaism from my

grandmother. Grandmother Dora was very

religious, perhaps balancing out Charles’s

leaning toward atheism. Dora kept a kosher

household, and I believe they had their kosher

meat sent from Seattle or Portland when

they were living in Chehalis. One infamous

Goodman family tale was the story of “Luke”

Twins Helen and Celia with mother Dora

Goodman. My Uncle Louis came down with

tuberculosis, and was sent to a sanitarium in

Eastern Oregon to recover. When his condition

failed to improve, Dora went to what

many today would call a quack doctor. I

believe he was a religious healer. Upon his

advice, she re-named her son “Luke,” so God

couldn’t find him. Then, she took a chicken,

whirled it around her head and said a prayer.

She believed that is why he survived, because

God couldn’t find him. The chicken-whirling

Rebecca, Ophelia, Helen, Mort and Louis

portion of the story was derived from a mystical,

medieval ritual called Schlagen Kaporas,

performed by very orthodox Jewish wives on

the day before Yom Kippur. Dora had adopted

this practice. It was supposed to transmigrate

one’s sins to the helpless carcass, which was

then given to charity.

Over time Dora adapted her ways slightly

and eventually permitted my Uncle Louis and

Uncle Mort to attend medical school instead

of synagogue on Saturdays. She rationalized

this by telling them that they were learning

to do God’s work of healing the sick. Charles

was determined that his sons, Mort and Louis,

would become doctors. They were both very

original and extremely intelligent. They became

highly regarded and very successful in

the field of medicine.


Mort, Louis, Rebecca, Ophelia and Helen



Postcards from Sandpoint, Idaho

Marjorie, age four

“Sandpoint was a small town of only

about three thousand people at that

time, and for us kids it was like

one big playground.”

Growing Up in Sandpoint


came into this world April 30, 1922, born

in the Sandpoint Hospital in Sandpoint,

Idaho. Sandpoint was a small town of only

about three thousand people at that time, and

for us kids it was like one big playground. We

could walk everywhere and everyone knew

each other and looked out for us. The town

was situated right on the edge of beautiful

Lake Pend Oreille. We heard stories that the

lake was so deep that the bottom was never

found! The beach had wonderful recreational

facilities nearby where we played golf and tennis.

We were always exploring on our bikes,

crossing the long

bridge over the

lake. Some of our

friends had summer

homes across

the lake, and we

would go over

there and swim.

Our high school

was only a block

away, the grammar

school was three

Marjorie and Betty

blocks, and downtown was only four. Everything

was at your fingertips; it was a marvelous

place to grow up.

In a two-story house at 230 SW Fourth

Avenue, I lived with my parents; my older

sister Betty; my younger sister Shirley; and

our fourteen-year-old live-in maid, Anne. It

was on a corner lot surrounded by beautiful

fruit trees. We loved picking the fruit from the

cherry trees for canning and baking pies. The

house was distinctly different than the houses

we are used to today. First of all, in order to

Cousin Harriet Hoeflich (left) with

Foster sisters Marjorie, Betty and Shirley


Foster family home in Sandpoint

get any heat upstairs you had to light the potbellied

stove. On winter mornings my father

would get up early and build a fire, and then

we would all huddle around the heat of the

stove and get dressed. We also had only one

bathroom upstairs with a tub. You can imagine

what a challenge it was having four women

and one man in that household! My sister

Betty and I shared a bed in the little bedroom.

Our sister Shirley had to live with Anne in the

other bedroom, though in the summertime

we all slept together on the sleeping porch,

and Shirley was thrilled about that. We slept

so close to the stars. In the kitchen we had

a wood-cooking stove — you had to start a

fire every time you

wanted to cook or

bake something. The

iceman delivered ice to

the icebox on our back

porch, yet for a good

portion of the year

winter weather kept

things cold.

Snow blanketed the

ground from November

until May, transforming


with its quiet beauty.

We couldn’t wait to

go out and play in the

mountains of snow

piled up by the plows down the middle of

Main Street. They were so tall that you could

not see over the top of them as a child. They

became our “fortresses.” We would slide down

the steep slopes with our sleds. We loved going

ice-skating on the lake when it froze over.

Ice fishing was also popular.

My parents were extremely hard workers

and always provided very well for us. My

father opened his store, J.A. Foster & Co., after

World War I. It sold complete lines of men’s

and boy’s clothing and furnishings, and shoes

for the entire family. When I was a child, he

opened the women’s portion of the store. My

mom worked there since the day it opened, so

Anne cooked and cared for the house. One

of my favorite memories of the store was the

day my dad brought home our dog. A haggard

looking man came into the store with

a dog at his heels. My father inquired about

the dog, and the man said, “Oh, would you

like to have him?” My father purchased the

dog for $5. Later he found out the dog just

followed the man into the store; he didn’t actually

own it. We named that dog Gypsy, and

she lived with us for seventeen years.

My father ran a good business and I think

we were financially better off than most,

Betty and Marjorie


Marjorie, Ophelia, Shirley and Betty

Betty and Marjorie



Foster sisters (left)

Marjorie (right)

Oregon — Reconnecting Roots

“I missed my boyfriend Dick and my

friends in Sandpoint terribly. But, we

adapted quickly. My sisters and I

became known as the Foster girls, and

the boys would come over to call on us.”

Foster family’s rental house in

Portland’s Eastmoreland neighborhood

Our first Portland home, when we

arrived in 1938, was a big historic

house, a rental, right across from

Reed College. My mother, my two sisters

and I, and my uncle Dr. Mort Goodman, all

moved in together. My mother’s sister Helen

had passed away, so her children, Harriet

and Alan Hoeflich, lived with us as well. A

few months later, Uncle Mort married Edith

Schnitzer and she moved in, too. I couldn’t

believe that as newlyweds they would want to

live with all of us teenagers! But I really enjoyed

that bustling household. My sister Betty

and I enrolled in Lincoln High School, across

town. Betty was a senior when we arrived, and

I was a junior.

Shirley in Eastmoreland home

Lincoln was not the neighborhood school,

but I believe we went there because it had

more Jewish students. Uncle Mort would

drop us off at school everyday on his way

to his office in Northwest Portland. It was a

difficult transition for me at first. I missed my

boyfriend, Dick, and my friends in Sandpoint

terribly. But, we adapted quickly. My sisters

and I became known as the Foster girls, and

Marjorie at Lincoln High School

the boys would come over to call on us. It

was easy to make new friends. There were a

lot of Jewish girls’ groups in Portland at that

time, including Kmaia, Sub Debs and the

B’nai Brith girls. They were like little sororities

— you had to be invited to tea and then

you could join. It was popular to spend time


Marjorie with friends at Seaside

Marjorie (left) with friends at Seaside on the Oregon Coast

“It was crazy; you were going along,

enjoying your life as you always did.

Then, all of a sudden, the whole world

changed. Of course at the time we didn’t

realize how much it had changed. We had

no way of anticipating how much hardship

would ensue in the years to come.”

that we’d have breakfast at this spot on Green

Lake the next morning. That was the morning

of December 7th. I met him there and

then the news broke. It was crazy; you were

going along, enjoying your life as you always

did. Then, all of a sudden, the whole world

changed. Of course, at the time we didn’t

realize how much it had changed. We had no

way of anticipating how much hardship would

ensue in the years to come.

I met Jack the following summer, in 1942.

I came back from the University of Washington

to spend the summer in Portland with


my family. Jack had just graduated from the

University of Oregon. I had heard about him

when I was on a date with another guy for

“Junior Weekend” at the University of Oregon.

That same weekend, Jack was inducted into

the Friars, a prestigious group for the highestachieving

students. It was a highly recognized

event down there, so I knew of him but had

not met him yet.

That same summer, I was working at

Lipman-Wolfe in the men’s department. Jack

came in to buy a bathing suit. He picked

everything out himself, but I waited on him.

I can’t remember if I sold him the suit or

not. He seemed to know me, but I didn’t

really know how. I remembered him from

that weekend at the University of Oregon. In

addition to working during the days, I was

taking a business class at Lincoln High School

in the evening. On the way home after class

one night, I stopped at the J.C.C. People were

always hanging out there, and I ran into Jack

again. We starting talking, and he asked me

for my phone number. He didn’t write it

down, so I figured he wasn’t going to call. Sure

enough, he called.

Majorie during summer vacation from the

University of Washington

Jack at the University of Oregon



Jack and Marjorie’s letters and memorabilia from the war years

Newlyweds During the War Years

Newlyweds Jack and Marjorie on a trip with family in Long Beach, California

We arrived in San Francisco, flush

with the excitement of our recent

marriage, to discover that Jack was

going to be shipped out to the South Pacific

with the Navy for two years. Heavy with

disappointment, Jack told the officer at the

Coast Guard headquarters about our recent

marriage and urged the officer to consider

an alternative option. To our amazement, the

officer turned out to be a compassionate man

because he said “Okay, we’ll change your assignment.”

At that moment in our country’s

history, you had to do what you were told.

The fact that this man showed him some

kindness was a real miracle. Our marriage

may have saved Jack’s life, because so many

died in the South Pacific.

As it turned out, we

were able to spend several

months together in San

Francisco. Jack was assigned

to duty on a Coast

Guard ship that traveled

up and down the coast of

San Francisco, protecting

the bay. He would be

out on the boat for three

weeks at a time. Luckily,

I was able to obtain a job

at the Bank of America

transcribing communications from Italian

bankers. I used a Dictaphone to play back

their recorded voices in order to transcribe

their words. Their accents were difficult to

understand, but I enjoyed the job. It kept me

occupied during those long days in an unfamiliar

city. During that time we were staying

in a hotel room, which was rather lonely while

Jack was on the ship. Fortunately, I had a few

friends from Portland who were living in

San Francisco, so I spent a lot of time at their

apartment on the Marina. It looked out over

the Bay, and from that vantage point I could

see when Jack’s ship was returning to the port.

At the end of our time in San Francisco,

Jack received news that he had to go to Washington,

D.C., in preparation for his upcoming

assignment abroad with the Navy. In D.C. he

would be trained to become a high-ranking

officer on the ship. We boarded a train and

headed east. We spent three sweltering

months in D.C., renting the upstairs of an

Jack and Marjorie visiting with family in California


Our Letters, Stories from the War Years

This collection of letters spans the period while we were separated due to the war,

beginning April 15, 1944. Jack returned home in the summer of 1945,

shortly before the United States dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.

Jack spent a lot of time reflecting on love and

our relationship while we were apart. “Booge,”

our nickname for each other, comes up

throughout our correspondence. These

excerpts are highlights from some of his letters.

... You told me about your Mother’s Day dinner at the Mallory Hotel ... and how you went

to revisit the room where we spent our first night. As I sit here thinking about the same thing,

I can feel my heart just skip and jump — and I get the warmest feeling. That night of March

25th was the first time I realized that I had stepped out of an ordinary existence into one full

of warmth and happiness. It was like coming in out of a storm and into a warm room with a

peaceful fireplace — so distinctive was the change I felt. Yes Booge, someday we will go back to

that same room.

... You know Booge I always seem to think of our married life in four distinct phases, which are

classified by the locality in which we lived. Seems to me that in each period we lived in new

and distinct worlds. Each phase seemed better than the last one too because the longer I knew

my Booge the more I discovered, I loved her.

... Does this day, April 15th, 1945, mean anything to you? Today marks one year that I’ve been

away from you. Remember that miserable Saturday when we said goodbye in the little car. I

guess I can stand almost anything now because I never thought I could bear being away from

you for such a long time. I guess we are both a bit stronger now — if only from the heartbreak

and loneliness we’ve both suffered.

Jack during his Navy service

“I would like you to save all of

these letters by clasping them together

in a manila folder or something in

that order. We are not allowed to keep

a diary and I think these letters could

serve the same purpose. It ought to be

fun reading them over about ten years

from now — it will make us realize

then how lucky we are to be together.

Your loving husband, Jack”

May 17, 1944


We spent a lot of time writing about memories and dreams while we were apart. That kind

of time travel provided some relief from the agony of missing each other that we endured.

These excerpts from Jack’s letters show how we struggled to bring ourselves closer together

in spite of the distance.

... One of the songs in the movie “Miss You” certainly expressed the way I feel, especially when

I see and hear things that remind me of all the things we’ve done in the

short time that we have been married. Yes Booge, married life is wonderful

and better with a wife like you. I agree with you — “you don’t

know how lucky you are.”


... Gosh, how all of the small incidences that sometimes didn’t take up

more than a few minutes of time return to me to give me a lifetime of

pleasure reliving them. I remember in Long Beach how I would have to

coax you to get wet. You were afraid your silk bandana wouldn’t do as

a bathing cap and that you would get your hair wet — then we would

hold hands and gradually duck lower and lower into the waves, but

you always held your face up high, and you’d make the cutest noises

and expressions when the cold water would finally run up against your

shoulders. You’d say,“Now Booge, that’s far enough” and I would hold

you with me until a larger breaker came so that I could lift your head

and shoulders above it and then bring you down with your eyes and

mouth wide open from the thrill. I guess you can tell Booge — from the

way I write — that I am nuts about you and how happy you’ve made

me. Some days I think about it so much, I just have to put it in my letters,

and all you get is a lot of writing about it like this.

Jack aboard the Navy ship

in the Aleutian Islands

... I believe that on Sundays you are with me more than any other day

of the week, and I suppose it is because I usually have more time to think, and because Sunday

was a day we always spent together from morning until night.... I’ve never had any happier

days than those in which we were together. Please buy yourself a gardenia and wear it for me

— just as though I had given it to you.


time, Jack got a

job working with

Tom McCall on the

radio station selling


He began working

extremely hard to

provide for us and

establish a foundation

for our future.

I remember the

night I went into

Shirley holding baby Jeff

labor, we were in

the duplex playing bridge and I said, “I think

I better go to the hospital.” Jeff was born on

March 1, 1946, initiating us into parenthood.

Not long after Jeff was born, Harriet’s

husband came home from the war and my

mother decided we needed more space. She

bought a three-plex off of Belmont and Southeast

Twenty-fifth. It had three units, and she

said we could have one. Ours was a two-bedroom;

she lived in one and rented the other.

Two years after Jeff ’s arrival, Barbara was

born, February 23, 1948. We were fortunate

because Mother was right next door, so Jeff

could go over to her place if Barb was crying.

Our second son, Dan, was born December

22, 1953. Then Julie, the baby of the family,

was born May 2, 1961. Jeff was fifteen years

old at the time. I can remember their reactions

— especially the teenagers. Their mother

was pregnant again, having another child? It

was just not heard of in those days. Of course,


Marjorie and Jeff

“During that period, the roles of men

and women were very distinct. The men

worked to support the family and were

not as involved with the day-to-day

tasks of child rearing and running a

household. Very few women went to

work to earn money for the family,

but we had all of the household

responsibility to attend to.”

Jeff and Jack

everyone doted on Julie when she was born.

Barb was very active in helping me take care

of her. Often she mentions to me that she feels

like she raised Julie.

It was my main responsibility to take

care of our children. In addition, it was my

job to make sure that everything was going

smoothly in our household. Jack had a very

high standard, which was often a challenge

to meet when raising four children. During

that period, the roles of men and women were

very distinct. The men worked to support

the family and were not as involved with the

Jeff and Barb

Jeff and Barb



Marjorie leading a Planned Parenthood workshop at Beaumont High School (center)

Marjorie receiving the Silver Award from Elder’s In Action (right)

My first connection with Planned

Parenthood was through Jean

Rustin, a friend in the Council of

Jewish Women, who invited me to observe

her teach one of her sex education classes at

the Planned Parenthood Center on Northeast

Broadway. The center was near a pawnshop,

in a small building with two little rooms

downstairs and offices upstairs. I decided to

take Jean up on her offer, and I was hooked.

That was back in 1968, and marked my initiation

into working with Planned Parenthood.

My interest in Planned Parenthood began

with my own experience of not being able

to control the timing of my pregnancies. My

four children were born over a span of fifteen

years. I love my children, and it worked out

for our family, but the experience made me

realize how important it is for women to have

control over when and if they have children.

A lot has changed over the last forty years.

The only available methods for birth control

at the time when we were starting our family

were the “rhythm method,” which wasn’t

very reliable, diaphragms and condoms. Pills

came in 1964, three years after Julie was born.

Of course, abortions weren’t legal until 1973.

Unfortunately, in those days, there was no

Planned Parenthood

Forty Years of Volunteerism

information available in the schools about

sex, birth control or diseases. As a woman,

once you were married, you would go to your

gynecologist. They were mostly men, although

I had one female gynecologist who delivered

two of the children. If you asked for birth

control, they gave you a diaphragm. They

would fit it, show you how to use it, and that

was all. Diaphragms didn’t work very well if

they were in your dresser drawer! You had to

plan ahead. Many thought that decreased the

spontaneity of your sex life. Through Planned

Parenthood, we emphasize thinking ahead.

When I was younger, nobody showed us

the specific way that condoms needed to be

used in order to be effective. Condoms were

available for sale behind the counter at the

drug store. You had to go up and ask for them.

In those days, women definitely didn’t feel

comfortable asking; they did not take responsibility

for those types of things. People’s attitudes

at that time were also very important.

Married men did not want to use condoms.

When the birth control pill came along, it

made a big difference, because women had

more control over their choices. Unfortunately,

when the pill first became available it

was really strong. I can remember trying it,




Jack with members of the

Portland Development

Commission viewing the

model for the Marquam

Plaza Building, 1964


ack always had an entrepreneurial spirit

and a keen business intuition. He could

anticipate market trends and make sound

investments, just ahead of the curve. His first

business, Oregon Pacific Lumber Company,

which he started in 1950, became quite successful

within a few years. He created a stateof-the-art

organization, implementing the industry’s

latest methods. Jack set up his lumber

business to have specialized knowledge of the

major production facilities and different types

of lumber available in the Pacific Northwest.

His company was well-informed about the

interests of the principal market areas of the

United States and focused its marketing strategies

accordingly. Jack was distinctly different

than other operators who would jump into a

market when times were good and bail when

the market slowed down. He would adapt to

the changing times with innovation. As he

built his business, he surrounded himself with

smart people and had very high standards for

his employees.

An Entrepreneur’s Legacy

“Jack always had an entrepreneurial

spirit and a keen business intuition.

He could anticipate market trends

and make sound investments,

just ahead of the curve.”

Jack working in the Oregon Pacific Lumber Company office



Passing the Torch

My dad’s work in real estate development had a significant impact in shaping my career

aspirations as a young woman. When Eric and I moved to San Francisco in 1984, I was still

unclear of my career path, but I wanted to pursue my interest in real estate. I had an opportunity

to work at a company called Eastdil as an intern. Originally, it was going to only

be a three-month position, but it

turned into a full time job, which I

ended up staying at for two years. I

gained good experience, helping to

acquire and manage real estate for

institutional clients. It was during

that time that I realized how much

I needed to learn about business

and real estate in order to take

my career to the next level, so I

decided to go to graduate school. I

attended University of California at

Berkeley, and earned a master’s in

business, specializing in real estate

and finance.

Upon graduating, I worked for

Co-President Julie Leuvrey

a pension fund advisor that bought

real estate for pension funds. This

job turned out to be an excellent learning experience, because I was able to travel throughout

the country and work with a lot of different types of real estate, in a variety of markets.

In 1991, my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. I was just starting to build my career in

California, so I thought I should stick with it and see how things progressed with his illness.

Yet, by late 1992, I began thinking that I should come home and be closer to my family during

this difficult time. There was no transition plan in place for Oregon Pacific Investment and Development

Company. It wasn’t clear how my dad was going to pass the torch, because he didn’t

perceive himself to be in position where he needed to hand off his leadership in the company.

Co-President Randy Lovre




The Saltzman Family,

Contributing to Our Community Legacy

Every year we sit down together as a family

and make donations to a number of charitable

causes. Over the years we have refined our focus,

because everyone has specific things they

want to see on the contribution list that are

of personal importance to them. One of our

primary focuses is on helping women, children

and families in need, through combating

domestic violence, helping foster children and

giving to the food bank. In 2002, we set up the

Marjorie Saltzman Educational Endowment

Fund for Planned Parenthood. Recently we

made a substantial contribution toward the

construction of Planned Parenthood’s new

Regional Service Center, which is expected to

open in 2010. I am honored that the education

wing of the new building will be called

the Marjorie Saltzman Education Center. This

Regional Service Center will expand health

care access for low-income Oregon residents

by serving 50 percent more patients throughout

the state.

We also contribute to disease treatment

and prevention research through the Alzheimer’s

Association and the Oregon Health

Sciences University (OHSU) Cancer Institute.

In addition, we give to environmental causes

“It means a lot to me that Jack and I

have been able to pass on to our

children the value of giving back to the

community....Through volunteerism

and civic involvement, I feel we can

continue to make significant and

meaningful contributions to

our community.”

and Jewish philanthropic causes. Of course we

always support the Oregon Humane Society,

in honor of our family’s love for animals.

Everyone in our family is committed to

becoming involved with causes that they

feel passionate about. We have volunteered

throughout the years for political campaigns,

organized fundraising events, served on

boards of nonprofits and done grassroots

volunteer work. During the 2008 presidential

campaign, our company distributed voter

registration cards to all of our apartments, and

offered to pay the postage and mail in the tenants’

registration cards. Our family business

reached a lot of people that way.

It means a lot to me that Jack and I have


been able to pass on to our children the value

of giving back to the community. In turn, they

have passed on to their children an understanding

of the importance of helping others.

Through volunteerism and civic involvement,

I feel we can continue to make significant and

meaningful contributions to our community.



Moshe Saltzman

b. abt 1830

bp. Petrikov, Russia

d. abt 1911

dp. Petrikov, Russia

Ephraim Saltzman

b. abt 1863

bp. Petrikov, Russia

d. Jan 28, 1932

dp. Chicago, IL

Joel Golubitsky

Esther Golubitsky

b. 1861

bp. Mozyr, Belarus

d. Aug 11, 1931

dp. Chicago, IL

Rubin Mitnik Miller

m. Jan 1899

Our Family Tree

Harry Braufman


Esther Rachel Braufman

b. Aug 14, 1877

bp. Russia

d. Sep 4, 1962

dp. Portland, OR

Samuel Foster

bp. Austria

Rebecca Shiers

Other surnames:

Wasserman &


b. Oct 4, 1845

bp. Austria

d. Feb 1, 1918

dp. Spokane, WA

Mr. Goodman

Charles William Goodman

b. May 1858

bp. Sassmachen,

Courland, Latvia

d. Nov 15, 1933

dp. Portland, OR

m. abt 1896

mp. Seattle, WA

Mr Hurwitz


Dora Hurwitz

b. Mar 13, 1873

bp. Kovno, Russia

d. Mar 17, 1935

dp. Portland, OR

Samuel Saltzman

b. Jan 19, 1888

bp. Petrikov, Russia

d. May 23, 1972

dp. Portland, OR

m. Mar 16, 1919

mp. Portland, OR

Anna Miller

b. Sep 15, 1900

bp. Orel, Ukraine

d. Nov 29, 1987

dp. Portland, OR

Jacob Akiva Foster

b. Dec 22, 1885

bp. Austria

d. Feb 28, 1945

dp. Portland, OR

m. Aug 20, 1920

Ophelia Grace Goodman

b. Jun 18, 1900

bp. Chehelis, WA

d. Oct. 27, 1989

dp. Portland, OR

Jack J. Saltzman

b. Feb 14, 1920

bp. Portland, OR

d. May 30, 2004

dp. Portland, OR

m. Mar 25, 1943

mp. Portland, OR

Marjorie Cecille Foster

b. Apr 30, 1922

bp. Sandpoint, ID

Jeffrey Foster Saltzman

b. Mar 1, 1946

bp. Portland, OR

Barbara Jo Saltzman

b. Feb 23, 1948

bp. Portland, OR

& Randy W. Lovre

b. Nov 25, 1946

m. Jun 21, 1975

mp. Portland, OR

Daniel Roger Saltzman

b. Dec 22, 1953

bp. Portland, OR

& Tracy Vorster

m. Aug 28, 1988

mp. Hood River, OR

Julie Ann Saltzman

b. May 2, 1961

bp. Portland, OR

& Eric Jacques Adrien Leuvrey

b. Jun 7, 1959

bp. Algiers, France

m. Aug 19, 1989

mp. St. Helena, CA

Alex Norma Lovre

b. Dec 25, 1989

bp. Minneapolis, MN

Adrianne Foster Saltzman

b. Dec 30, 1989

bp. Portland, OR

Nicolas Adrien Leuvrey

b. Dec 16, 1994

bp. Portland, OR

Allisa J. Olivia Leuvrey

b. Dec 5, 1997

bp. Portland, OR



As this chapter comes to a close, the next one begins, carrying

with it the wisdom and insights of all that has come before.

I hope that this collection of our family stories inspires future

generations to continue writing our story, adding their voices,

memories and dreams to our family legacy.



Hooray! Your file is uploaded and ready to be published.

Saved successfully!

Ooh no, something went wrong!