1 year ago

Discover Jacksonville 2017

WELCOME Jaguar mural

WELCOME Jaguar mural panels created by Jacksonville artists Jim Draper and Anne Banas. (Bob Self/Florida Times-Union) ownership, such as a deed or contract. Apply with the Property Appraiser’s office between January 1 and March 1 of the year for which the exemption is sought. Intangible tax: Since Jan. 1, 2007, individuals, married couples, personal representatives of estates and businesses are no longer required to file an annual intangible personal property tax return reporting stocks, bonds, mutual funds, money market funds, shares of business trusts and unsecured notes. The Florida Legislature has repealed the annual tax on these properties. Sales tax: 7 percent in Baker, Clay, Duval and Nassau counties. St. Johns County increased sales tax from 6 percent to 6.5 percent in January 2016. Driver’s licenses: To renew or obtain a driver’s license, Florida law requires you to bring original documents that prove your identity, social security number and residential address. You must visit an office with these documents: • If you are applying for your first driver license or identification card • When your current credential expires and you have already used the onetime “convenience” renewal option • If you legally change your name (e.g., by marriage or divorce) If none of these apply, then you can renew your license online at gorenew. com, or by mail. Car insurance: The minimum coverage requirement is $10,000 personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 property damage liability (PDL). If you have been in a crash or convicted of certain offenses, the Florida DMV can request you purchase additional auto insurance coverage such as bodily injury liability coverage (BIL). Motor vehicles: In the state of Florida, a motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within 10 days of the owner becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency. Registering your motor vehicle goes hand in hand with the titling process. Visit for more information. Termite Protection: Know right up-front that termites are a serious problem in Florida. State law requires that a contract be issued whenever a termite treatment is conducted. If building or buying a new house, make sure that the contractor or developer has a termite protection contract and ask for a copy. Check what kind of warranty the contract has and whether repair to structural damage is included. The warranty must be valid for a year and offer the homeowner the option to extend the contract annually for four more years. If you do not renew your contract, it automatically becomes null and void. If buying a house on the secondary market, make sure that a termite inspection will be done (be present if possible) and get written documentation of any treatments, inspections and contracts issued on the structure for at least three years. You are responsible for obtaining or transferring a contract. For more information, call the Florida Bureau of Inspection and Incident Response at 850-617-7996 or access To check that a company or individual is licensed to perform pest control in Florida, you can use this link: or call the Florida Bureau of Licensing and Enforcement at 850-617-7997. Electric power: Different utility companies often operate within the same areas. Visit county websites for more information. Natural gas: Some communities are piped for natural gas. To find out which areas are served by natural gas, call TECO Peoples Gas at 904-739-1211 or 877-832- 6747, or visit Watering restrictions: Mandatory lawn watering restrictions specify the days when you may water. These days depend on whether you have an odd or even numbered address, and the time of year. For more information, contact: St. Johns River Water Management District: 4049 Reid Street (P.O. Box 1429), Palatka 32178; 386-329-4500 or 800-451- 7106; Garbage/yard waste collection: Different garbage haulers serve within the same areas. Call the county’s Solid Waste Department for more information. For those without curbside pickup of yard waste, county landfills are available, usually for a fee. Yard waste can be tree limbs, grass clippings, leaves, etc. Recycling: Programs are ongoing in all First Coast counties through cityprovided curbside service, private contractors and/or drop-off sites and landfills. In most counties you can use curbside service to recycle cardboard, paper, food boxes, mail, beverage cans, food cans, jars (plastic and glass), jugs, plastic bottles and some glass bottles. For a full list of non-recyclable items, call the county Solid Waste Department. Telephone, internet and cable service: Many communications companies provide all three services in bundle packages that can be purchased at a reduced rate. 20 | 2017 DISCOVER JACKSONVILLE