Competence Passport for Maritime.
All your Certificates and Employment Agreements
in one place.
Simple. Paperless. Authentic. Secure. Safe.
Distributed via Block Chain.
Certificate Mate utilises Block Chain Distributed Ledger
Technology to create a REVOLUTIONARY Certification solution for
the maritime industry.
Created for Seafarers, STCW training organisations, Flag State
Administrations & Regulators to achieve a fully integrated
certificate generation and verification system.
Via Block Chain technology.
No additional IT infrastructure required.
In the maritime industry, mandatory certification of seafarers is critical to ensure the
right skills and competences are in place to achieve a proficient and safe workplace.
The suite of certificates supporting these competences is also a critical pillar for
Proof of training & certification remains paper based and inter-border and inter-agency
connectivity is cumbersome. This causes a great deal of inefficiency in the both the
HRM and compliance chain for shipping and manning companies, seafarers, training
organisations and for both Flag and Port State administrations.
Blockchain technology provides the solution for this. Despite the hype around
Blockchain in the FINTECH arena, the principles at the heart of the technology make it
a perfect fit for certification applications - where multiple parties are involved and the
integrity of the system is paramount.
Certificate Mate provides a block chain based “Competence Passport” for individual
seafarers. This is a secure, tamper proof, electronic passport with a record of current
Certificate of Competence and all mandatory training and undertaken – an infallible
ledger of qualifications that will revolutionise personnel training, competence and
Statutory Certification – Example for an International Seafarer:
• CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCE (SEAFARER HOME FLAG STATE)
• FLAG STATE ENDORSEMENTS (VESSEL FLAG STATE)
• CERTIFICATE OF MEDICAL FITNESS (FLAG STATE ISSUED), AS PER ILO GUIDELINES
• WHERE REQUIRED -CERTIFICATE OF MEDICAL FITNESS (VESSEL FLAG STATE -WITH
• MUTILPLE LISTING OF IMO MODEL STCW COURSES (up to 63 courses)
• ISSUED ONTO THE BLOCKCHAIN BY APPROVED TRAINING ORGANISATIONS
• CURRENT EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT COUNTERSIGNED BY SHIP OPERATOR AND
SEAFARER, AS PER MLC (2006) R2.1
• ISSUES, SIGNED AND DISTRIBUTED ELECTRONICALLY VIA THE BLOCKCHAIN
•• STATUTORY AUDITS (GOVT / FLAG AND PORT STATE, INSURANCE,
•• NEW CLIENT / PROJECT AUDITS
•• INDUSTRY BODY AUDITS (EG CLASSIFICATION SOCIETIES, ASSOCIATIONS)
Competence Passport - Block Chain based suite of Certificates
Certificate Mate utilises a multi-stream block chain to write, record and make data available
for recall. Each of these streams are written to by:
(1) controlling authorities (for example Flag State Administration), and
(2) approved delegates of the controlling authority (for example an approved registered
training authority, approved medical assessment provider, registered ship operator /
How is the Competence Passport Constructed?
The Passport contains multiple block chain streams – each stream containing the secured
certification data for the certificate type.
(1) the first stream will contain all the requisite Identity data for the seafarer – for example
Name, DOB, Homeport, Seafarer PIN, as utilised in paper based documents.
(2) Additional streams will other certificate types - e.g. Certificate of Medical Fitness &
Employment Agreement. These will be written to the blockchain by approved delegates
(i.e. certified medical officer / agency) and contains all relevant information as required by
(3) Approved Agencies/ RTO’s can add qualifications to the relevant block chain stream on
the passport – alleviating the need for timely and labour intensive processing which is
can be cumbersome for all stakeholders - including a delay for the seafarer and the
employing shipping companies…
Certificate Mate solves these common issues:
- LOST / MISPLACED CERTIFICATES
- COUNTERFEIT CERTIFICATES
- NON-STANDARD FORMATS – CERTIFICATES & CONTRACTS
- INDUSTRY DATABASES THAT DON’T EXCHANGE DATA WITH
- REDUCE THE PROCESSING TIME AND WASTE BETWEEN
TRAINING PROVIDERS, FLAG STATE ADMINISTRATION AND THE
- REDUCE COMPLIANCE BURDEN TO SHIPPING COMPANIES IN
CHASING UP AND HUNTING CURRENT CERTIFICATES FOR
- COC, STCW AND CSM AUDITS CAN BE COMPLETED REMOTLEY
AND AT ANY TIME BY FLAG / PORT STATE CONTROL
- IRREFUTEABLE AND COUNTERSIGNED COPY OF EMPLOYMENT
CONTRACTSFOR MLC COMPLIANCE
How Certificate Mate Helps…
Certificate Mate creates Block Chain Certificates. The
COMPLETE SUITE of required certificates becomes an
individual’s COMPETENCE PASSPORT.
Because this is the safest and most robust technique to
store data that needs to be:
(1) Link the data of different Governments and
organisations in a trusted and safe manner
(2) Infallible & Tamper Proof
(3) “Un- deletable”
(4) Delegated agents (e.g. medical providers,
trainers and shipping companies) can add
certificates and contracts to the Competence
Passport in real time.
What the Competence Passport looks like……
See demonstration at www.certificatemate.com
Beneficial for everybody – more than just Less hassle than paper certificates!
Easy to manage CoC cross
No lag between training and
update of CoC
Easier to find seafarers with
full and current qualifications
Better Customer Service –
simplify training evidence
Reduced downtime from
No need to chase up
seafarers for Certification
Simple (even remote)
inspection and auditing of
No lag between crew training
and use of updated of CoC
Easier certification sharing
and checks with employer /
Improved Business Process
with seamless electronic data
Compliant (e.g. AGRkMS)
Training Orgs. Better Customer Service Reduce Admin. Burden
Potential CRM Data for
QUESTIONS WE THINK YOU MIGHT ASK AND WE HOPE TO ANSWER…
1. WHAT IS BLOCK CHAIN?
Blockchain is a secured form of online transaction, creating a decentralised, distributed digital ledger that:
• Maintains a continuously growing list of peer-to-peer transaction records, timestamped and linked to a previous block
• Records transactions on 1000’s of computers, globally
• Is authenticated by mass collaboration
• Are resistant to retrospective data modification
• Relies on established cryptographic techniques & technologies allowing each participant in a network to safely
2. WHY THE BLOCKCHAIN BASED CERTIFICATE MATE AND NOT JUST A NORMAL DATABASE?
Great Question. It depends on your industry and application.
In order to understand the basic requirements of a distributed ledger / block chain, it helps to clarify how these
systems differ from regular databases, which are controlled by a single entity. The two most important
differences between block chains and centralised databases can be characterized as follows:
• Disintermediation. Block chains enable multiple parties who do not fully trust each other to safely and directly share
a single database without requiring a trusted intermediary.
• Confidentiality: All participants in a block chain see all the transactions taking place. Confidentiality is maintained via
Here are five crucial ways in which EXISTING systems (a database or paper based certificates) could fail its users:
• Forgery: Transferring certificates / passports from one person to another without the subject’s permission or through
ill intention of consenting parties.
• Reversal: Undoing a record of training / qualification that took place at some point in the past.
• Illegitimacy: Changing the type of qualification in a system without a corresponding requisite training being
completed by the subject.
• Inconsistency: Giving different representation of data despite international standards being established.
• Downtime: Not responding to incoming requests for information at all or with extreme delay (such as administrative
processing of paperwork within and across borders)
A legitimate block chain solution guards against each of these by removing the need for this kind of central
database operator, by allowing the users of a database to interact directly with each other on a peer-to-peer basis.
BlockChain Mate create private blockchain solutions to remove paper and
frustration from the certification and compliance universe.
Certificate Mate is about to do this for the maritime industry….
Our experiences in a variety of industries, including the International Maritime Sector, have
driven us to create Certificate mate. Conversations with colleagues. Conversations with
auditors. Conversations with people involved in compliance, paper trails – have indicated
needing a solution to make it easier and perhaps even more enjoyable.
To date, blockchain applications have contained a single ledger of information, which is added
to over time (e.g. the Bitcoin public blockchain). BlockChain Mate use a “multi-stream” private
blockchain solution which enables multiple streams of data to be used to create the perfect
solution for electronic certification and compliance applications.
We can integrate with your existing PMS and ERP. A blockchain is a natural technology to sit
across multiple disparate business applications without the need to migrate to a single solution.
No requirement for additional infrastructure.
BlockChain Mate have the techniques and the technology. We hope we can work with you to
make it happen.
Compliance exists for a reason. More than just saving a $.
Making it easy and fun just may save a life!
+61(0)499 731 615
BlockChain Mate – About Us
Co-founder and Technical Lead
Adam holds a Bachelor of Computer Science and a
MBA. Adam is a specialist in leading project teams
in complex technology environments and has been
involved in leading successful technology
deployment in his current role and for other large
companies including ANZ and Telstra. Adam has
significant expertise in knowledge and information
management, and security requirements. Adam is
a blockchain subject matter expert, and will
provide the technical oversight and product
architect role to this project.
Aaron McMurray: Co-founder and Commercial Lead
Aaron holds a Bachelor of Science and a MBA
and is an experienced Business
Strategy Professional who has experience with
several companies in Australia and Europe. Aaron
has a vast “knowledge bank” from a varied
professional background – in maritime operations
and corporate experience in Business Strategy
and Strategic Marketing in Europe and Australia.
Aaron can quickly identify opportunities for value
creation – especially strategic positioning to
maximise opportunities with new technology.
We know blockchain.
We know technology deployment.
We know maritime.