8 x February 16 - March 1, 2017 x www.SouthwestOrlandoBulletin.com Play Tennis Annual Tennis Membership: Enjoy use of a world-class resort with 8 clay & 4 hard courts, pool and health club. Great value, limited number. Leagues/Teams: Women’s Day leagues (levels A-C & Sr. 55+) In House leagues – all matches played at Grand Cypress, (no driving on I-4) Men’s night league 7p.m. Thurs. 5.0+ Shoot-out Sunday mornings CONTINUED FROM PAGE 7 Railroad Museum and is operated by the Winter Garden History Foundation and owned by the city. The first brick lodging property, the Shelby Hotel, opened around 1913, and an automobile repair shop a year later. Tony’s Liquors now occupies the Shelby building. The decade between 1910 and 1920 was marked by construction and large projects. The city’s first waterworks was built, as were an ice plant, electrical plant, streetlights and brick roads. The 1918 Atlantic Coast Line Depot is now the Winter Garden Heritage Museum. The Florida Citrus Exchange was formed in the 1910s, and Luther Tilden served as director. He also operated a grocery store on Main Street and one of the first packing houses. Tilden’s home, also known as Meadow Marsh, was built in 1910 and remains on the National Register of Historic Places. The wood-frame house later received additions for a kitchen, bedroom and parlor. Tilden died in 1929. The home was used as a bed and breakfast for a period of time, but now is a single-family residence. on East Plant Street. He was considered one of the largest producers of lettuce in the 1920s, and two years later he started residential subdivisions. The Ort Law Firm purchased the Britt’s home in 2014 for nearly $1 million and has restored the building to its former glory. The Roaring ’20s & Depressing ’30s By 1920, Winter Garden’s population had reached 1,021. More than 300 new buildings were built between 1920 and 1926. The Winter Garden Rotary Club formed in 1926. Commercial construction also continued, with the opening of a hardware store, theater and department store. The Winter Garden First Baptist Church built a new church on Plant Street in 1922. In 1926, the Pounds Motor Co. Building was finished. The Pounds family sold Ford cars and developed a tractor tire. The Roper Building was constructed in 1927 and contained a hardware store. As with other parts of Florida, the 1920s was a period of great growth, which led to a building boom followed by a collapse. But Winter Garden’s Round Robins: 9 a.m. Saturday morning coed Round Robin – courtside lemonade. Lessons and Drills: Train with the best, whether you're just starting or a seasoned veteran. (Adults & Juniors) Rated Top-50 Best Tennis Resort/Academy Worldwide. Junior Summer Camp: Offered select weeks. For more details or to register, contact our Director of Tennis, Lynn C. Bottger, at 407-239-1944 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Men, women and children work the fields in the 1900s. courtesy of the Winter Garden Heritage Foundation Farmer Morgan Britt came to town in 1909. He grew vegetables and citrus and, in 1929, built a home citrus industry moderated the downturn, until fruit flies arrived in 1928 and curtailed the shipping of fruit.
www.SouthwestOrlandoBulletin.com x February 16 - March 1, 2017 x 9 and processed it in town. According to the county, the home remains a single-family residence. Fruit was packaged in packing houses in 1909 and 1910. In the 1940s, canning juice was popular, and in the 1950s, concentrate came into style. Culture & Entertainment Built in 1935 as a single-screen cinema, Garden Theatre was the first in Central Florida to show “talkies.” It closed in 1963 because of waning interest in films as television became popular. After it closed, the neighboring Pounds Motor Co. Inc. used the building as a storage space for tractors and other machinery. The interior was removed, and the sloped floor was covered with cement. In 2003, the city of Winter Garden purchased the theater at 160 W. Plant St. and granted title to the Winter Garden Heritage Foundation CONTINUED ON PAGE 10 The Historic Edgewater Hotel The Historic Edgewater Hotel in Winter Garden opened in 1927 and reopened in 2003. Construction began on the 52-room Edgewater Hotel at 99 W. Plant St. in 1924. A four-story hotel was planned, but the land bust curtailed the project. A group of investors completed it as a three-story building. It opened Jan. 26, 1927, and was considered one of the safest hotels in the country. It had a sprinkler system throughout and metal furniture. It also featured electric heat, telephones and private baths. The building also housed a barbershop, drugstore, telegraph office and a Pittman Jewelers, which is now located in Clermont. The dining room, called Evergreen, served traditional Southern meals. Local people would come to wander the halls and ride the elevator. Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds brought a new city dock, boat basin, fire station, auditorium, city hall, sports fields, Tanner Hall, Lakefront Park and a municipal pool to the town during the 1930s. George Walker served as mayor during this period. L. Frank Roper built an important home in 1937 at 220 N. Highland Ave. The Ropers grew citrus WILLIAM RIZZO, D.M.D. Most Insurances Accepted Rizzo Dental Group JEFFREY RIZZO, D.M.D. NEW PATIENTS AND EMERGENCIES WELCOME Request an appointment online at www.rizzodentalgroup.com 6150 MetroWest Blvd., Suite 207, Orlando, FL 32835 Central Florida Title Office Now Open! We Want to be Your Key to a Successful Closing! Serving All of Florida with Offices Located in Seminole, Orange and Lake Counties Customer Service is Our #1 Priority! Cosmetic & Family Dentistry 407.521.8765 All Major Credit Cards Accepted -CareCredit®- • Attorney Supported • Free Title Quote App for Real Estate Agents • Traditional, Virtual & Mail-Away Closings • Commercial, Residential, Condos & Mobile Homes • Conventional, VA, FHA, Reverse, FSBO & Cash Closings • Convenient Closings at Any of Our Multiple Offices or at Your Location Contact: Richard Reina, Regional Manager Richard@CentralFloridaTitle.com Maria Collins, Escrow Officer Maria@CentralFloridaTitle.com courtesy of the Winter Garden Heritage Foundation L. Frank Roper’s home was built on North Highland Avenue in 1937. 407-614-0305 213 South Dillard Street, Suite #210, Winter Garden, FL 34787 www.CentralFloridaTitle.com