Council Tax 2017-18



Council Tax 2017-18


• How we spend your money

Council tax bands

• Discounts, exemptions and support


Council tax is a tax on domestic properties. It is collected by local councils and it

helps to pay for services which Rochdale Borough Council provides, such as adult

social care, education, refuse collection and street lighting. Council tax is charged

on all domestic properties, whether they are rented or owned, and whether they

are lived in or not.

This booklet forms part of your 2017/2018 council tax bill. In it, you can find

information and advice, including ways in which you might be able to reduce your

bill. This booklet also provides information and advice about the empty-home

premium. The different sections of this booklet are listed opposite.


The quickest, safest and

easiest way to pay is Direct Debit.

You can reduce your monthly

payment by spreading the cost

over 12 months.

Phone 0300 303 8870 with your

bank details and we’ll set up your Direct Debit in 5 minutes.



Council tax facts 4

Adult Social Care 5

How to pay 5

Unoccupied properties 6

Exemptions 7

Discounts 7

Appeals 8

Local council tax support 9

Where our funding comes from 9

How we spend your money 10

My Account (online services) 13

Contact us 14

If you need help understanding this booklet please telephone

0300 303 8870


Council tax facts

Council tax is set by Rochdale Borough Council, including a charge for adult social

care. We also collect money on behalf of the police and fire services, although

we’re not responsible for running these services. The person who lives in a

property normally pays the council tax, whether they own or rent it.

Properties are given a valuation band based on an estimate of how much the

property would have been worth if it was sold on the open market on 1 April 1991

(not the current value). An officer of the Valuation Office Agency (known as the

listing officer) sets the band. The maximum amount you have to pay is shown

below. You may pay less if you are entitled to a discount, exemption or council tax

support and you can find information about these on pages 6, 7 and 9.

How council tax is calculated

The amount we need to raise from council tax for 2017/2018 is £76.8m. This works

out at £1,671.37 for the average band D property. This includes charges for adult

social care, all other council services, police and fire services:


Adult Social


All other






Council tax (Band D)

2016/17 2017/18

£1,380.25 £1,449.12







£1,596.33 £1,671.37

Increase %











On your council tax bill you will see the increase relating to the council and fire are quoted

at 2.0%, however the actual increase is 1.99% and therefore it is not classed as excessive.

Council tax

Valuation Range of values


(at April 1991) 2016-17 2017-18









Up to £40,000

£40,001 - £52,000

£52,001 - £68,000

£68,001 - £88,000

£88,001 - £120,000

£120,001 - £160,000

£160,001 - £320,000

More than £320,000


















Adult Social Care

The Secretary of State for

Communities and Local Government

has made an offer to adult social

care authorities. (“Adult social care

authorities” are local authorities which

have functions under Part 1 of the Care

Act 2014, namely county councils in

England, district councils for an area in

England for which there is no county

council, London borough councils, the

Common Council of the City of London

and the Council of the Isles of Scilly.)

The offer is the option of an adult

social care authority being able to

charge an additional “precept” on its

council tax for financial years from

the financial year beginning in 2016

without holding a referendum, to assist

the authority in meeting expenditure

on adult social care. Subject to the

annual approval of the House of

Commons, the Secretary of State

intends to offer the option of charging

this “precept” at an appropriate

level in each financial year up to and

including the financial year 2019-20.

How to pay your

council tax

You can pay your council tax in twelve

monthly instalments, instead of ten.

It may not be possible to do this for

2017/2018, but the sooner you contact

us the more months we can offer.

Make life easier - pay by

Direct Debit

Direct Debit is the simplest, safest

and easiest way to pay. This is also

the cheapest way for us to get your

payment. Paying by Direct Debit gives

you lots of options, you can pay:

• every week on a Friday

• every two weeks on a Friday

• every four weeks on a Friday

• every month on either the 1st, 9th,

15th, 19th or 25th

Setting up a Direct Debit couldn’t be

easier, please ring us on 0300 303 8870

with your council tax reference number

and your bank details.

Pay by debit or credit card

and click on ‘Pay your Council Tax

Use our 24 hour automated

telephone system 01706 926 180

Speak to a customer service

advisor 0300 303 8889

You will need your council tax reference

number and your debit or credit card.

Pay by cash

At any Post Office or PayPoint outlet,

using the barcode printed on your bill.

This is a free service.


Pay by Pingit

You can use the Pingit app on your

mobile device to send us a payment.

Simply open the app and scan the QR

code on the front of your bill to make a

quick, easy and secure payment with

no need to enter your card details.

For more information about the Pingit

app you can visit Barclays Bank website


What if you’re

struggling to pay?

It’s really important that you contact

us as soon as you can and we’ll try to

help. We’ll first check your bill is correct

for your circumstances and change

it if necessary. We’ll then discuss a

convenient way for you to pay; this

could be every week, every two weeks,

every four weeks or monthly. The

earlier you contact us, the more options

you might have. For help and advice

about paying your bill or to discuss

payment plan options contact one of

our customer service advisors.

You can do this by:


to PO Box 490, Rochdale, OL16 9AJ

on 0300 303 8870

(8am to 6pm Monday to Friday)

by calling into one of our Customer

Service Centres at:

• Number One Riverside, Smith

Street, Rochdale, OL16 1XU

• Middleton Library, Long Street,

Middleton, M24 6DU

• Heywood Library, Lance Corporal

Stephen Shaw M C Way,

Heywood, OL10 1LL

Unoccupied Properties

• If the property is empty and

unfurnished you can receive the

following discounts. These also apply

to newly built properties after they

are finished as long as the property

remains empty and unfurnished.

• 100% discount for up to one month.

• 25% discount for up to a further

five months.

• After six months, the full council

tax becomes payable.

• If the property is empty and

unfurnished because it needs

structural repairs or alterations to

make it fit to live in you can receive

the following discounts.

• 100% discount for up to one month.

• 25% discount for up to a further

eleven months.

• After twelve months, the full

council tax becomes payable.

Empty-home premium

We will add 50% to council tax bills for

properties which have been empty and

unfurnished for two years or more. This

means that you will receive a bill for

100% of the full charge plus an extra

50% charge on top of this.

We introduced this premium to

encourage owners to bring empty

properties back into use. This is in line

with our Empty Property Strategy.

The empty-home premium doesn’t

apply to the following:

• A home which has been left

empty by a person who lives in

accommodation provided by the

Ministry of Defence (for example,

service personnel posted away

from home).

• A home which is part of another

home (for example, an annexe).

The full council tax charge is payable

for properties which are empty and

furnished or which are a second home.



Sometimes you may not have to pay

any council tax. This is known as an

exemption. Most exemptions only apply

when no-one is living in a property, but

sometimes properties which are lived in

can be exempt.

Exemptions for unoccupied properties;

• where the owner or tenant has died

and a personal representative or

executor is currently responsible for

the property.

• where the owner or tenant is in

prison; is in a residential or nursing

home; has gone to live with someone

else either to take care of them or to be

taken care of.

• which are normally occupied by a

charity (for the first six months only)

or by a religious minister.

• which have been repossessed or

where occupation is prohibited by law.

Exemptions also include occupied


• where all the residents are students.

• where all the residents are under

18 years old.

• where all the residents are severely

mentally impaired.


If you live on your own and are over 18

years old you can claim a discount of

25%. You can also claim a discount of

25% or 50% if you live with other people

who are in a group which receives a

discount. These groups include:

• people who are under 18 years old.

• students, student nurses, apprentices

and some care workers.

• people in care homes or hospital,

or in prison, or who have a severe

learning disability, mental illness or

form of dementia.


A 50% discount is available for

properties with self-contained annexes

that are occupied by family members.

The council tax on the main house

remains unchanged. The discount is

also available to residents of the main

property who are using the annexe.

Local Discount

If you are a member of the armed

forces and your property is left empty

whilst you are on active service, you will

be entitled to 100% discount.

We can also offer discounts to some

foster carers and care leavers. Please

see our website for the conditions and

further information.

Disability reduction

If your property has been specially

adapted to meet the needs of someone

living with you who has a severe

disability (for example, doors widened

to make room for a wheelchair, or a

room set aside for dialysis treatment),

we may be able to reduce your bill.


More information

For more information about discounts,

reductions, exemptions or charges on

unoccupied properties you can visit our

website at:


You can also contact one of our customer

service advisors. You can do this:


to PO Box 490, Rochdale, OL16 9AJ

on 0300 303 8870

(8am to 6pm Monday to Friday)

by calling into one of our Customer

Service Centres at:

• Number One Riverside, Smith

Street, Rochdale, OL16 1XU

• Middleton Library, Long Street,

Middleton, M24 6DU

• Heywood Library, Lance Corporal

Stephen Shaw M C Way,

Heywood, OL10 1LL


We investigate all allegations of fraud,

by checking and crosschecking data,

it’s only a matter of time before people

committing fraud are caught.

Fraud affects all honest taxpayers

so please help us to safeguard your

council tax. If you suspect someone

of fraud against Rochdale Borough

Council, please report it:

01706 926 100

Fraud is a crime and those committing

it could get a criminal record.

Appeals about who


If you don’t agree that you’re responsible

for paying council tax on a property, you

can appeal. Appeals must be made in

writing to the address shown on your bill.

Appeals about banding

You may appeal against your property

banding where:

• You believe there has been an

increase or reduction in the value of

the property due to building work i.e.

demolition or converting the

property from houses to flats.

• You start or stop using part of your

property to carry out a business.

• Physical changes in the locality

affect value, or within six months of

the following: a band change to your

property made by the Valuation

Office; a band change made to a

similar property to yours has been

made by a tribunal; you have become

a taxpayer at the property in the last

six months and the previous occupier

has not appealed.

Making an appeal does not allow you to

withhold payment.

You must still pay your bill whilst your

appeal is dealt with. If your appeal

is successful any money you have

overpaid will be refunded to you.

For detailed information about bandings

please contact:

Manchester Valuation Office,

17th Floor, Portland Tower,

Portland Street, Manchester, M1 3LD.

03000 501 501


Local Council Tax


Council Tax Support helps households

on a low income by reducing their

council tax bill. It doesn’t matter

whether you own or rent your home,

anyone who is responsible to pay

council tax can apply.

The amount you get depends on

your income, savings and household

circumstances and you can get support

even if you or your partner works.

Claim Council Tax


• It’s now quick and easy to find out if

you’re entitled to Council Tax Support

by using our online system.

• You can use the calculator to get

an instant estimate of how much

support you might get and you can

then go on to make a claim.

• You can get an estimate or make a

claim 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• You can find out what supporting

evidence you need to send to us.

To claim

Use the calculator at:

Or if you need help to make a claim:

0300 303 8870

Key features of the

support scheme

• If you are of working age we work

out your Council Tax Support using

the amount of council tax for a Band

A property. This is £1,114.24 and the

most you can get is 85% which is


• If you are of pension credit age you

could get up to 100% off your bill no

matter what band your property is in.

• If there are other adults who live in

your home, for example a grown

up son or daughter, or a friend, the

government assumes that they

could give you some money towards

your council tax and because of

this the amount of support you

can get is reduced. The amount

of this reduction depends on your

circumstances as well as theirs.

• The scheme that was known as

‘second adult rebate’ has now ended

if you are of working age.

Where our funding

comes from

The council’s overall budget for 2017-18

is almost £606m and money is spent

on both providing day to-day services

(revenue spend of £558m) as well as

developing buildings and infrastructure

(capital spend of £48m). The council

receives some income from many of

our services, but the remainder of

the funding comes from a mixture of

central government grants, business

rates and council tax.



Where our revenue

funding comes from £m

How the budget compares

with last year

Rochdale’s net budget requirement has

increased by £15.8m from £180.2m to

£196.0m in 2017/18. This is because of:

27.7 6.8 76.8


Inflation and contract increases 2.9






Demographics and other pressures 24.8

Grant Changes 19.0

Increase in Levies 2.4

Increase in charges -0.3

Savings and Funding Strategy -39.9

Technical and volume variances 1.3

2016/17 One year only decisions 5.6

Total 15.8


Council Tax

Business Rates Retained

Revenue Support & Business Rates Top Up Grants

Other Non Ringfenced Grants

Dedicated Schools Grant

Housing Benefits Reimbursements

Other Grants, Contributions and Income

Fees and Charges

Contribution from Reserves

How we spend your money





Adult Care



Last year


(Adjusted) (£m)

This year



Gross Net Gross Net

Expenditure Expenditure Expenditure Expenditure









Adult social care


This year the Government allowed

councils that provide adult social care

services the option of adding a precept

of 3% on council tax to help fund

services that help to protect the elderly

and vulnerable. As we have an ageing

population it’s important that we

continue to meet the cost. That means

that this year our council tax increase

of 4.99% is made up of a 1.99% increase

to fund services in general and a 3%

increase to fund adult social care.




Public Health

& Wellbeing




Net Budget


Other income



Grant and




Rates Retained

Other Non

Ring Fenced

Grants and
































Council Tax





The 2017/18 figures in the previous table

have been adjusted to take account of

any movement of services in 2016/17.


Budgeted capital spend

The table below shows the various

levies paid to other organisations:

Levies include:

Last year



This year



Greater Manchester Combined Authority 14.7 8.1

GM Waste Disposal Authority 13.5 22.5

Environment Agency (Flood Defence) 0.1 0.1

Total 28.3 30.7

Budgeted Capital spend

Last year



This year



Adult Care 1.3 2.0

Children’s Services 5.4 14.3

Ecomomy 1.9 17.1

Neighbourhoods 11.1 14.1

Public Health & Wellbeing 0.6 0.0

Total 20.3 47.5

Where our capital resources

come from £m

Invest to save












Prudential Borrowing

Capital Receipts

External Funding

Invest to save (Borrowing)

If you would like a copy of the budget

considered at Budget Council,

please visit:

Where our capital resources

come from (£m)

Last year



This year



Prudential Borrowing 7.2 11.1

Capital Receipts 0.1 4.0

External Funding 8.9 18.7

Invest to save (Borrowing) 4.1 13.7

Total 20.3 47.5


Fraud detection and information sharing

We’re legally required to take part in the National Fraud Initiative’s datamatching

exercise. This means the data we hold about your council tax will be

used by the council and the Cabinet Office for the prevention and detection

of fraud.

Any information you provide to us when making claims for an exemption,

discount or benefits will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection

Act 1998.

However, we have a duty to protect public funds and may use information

provided to prevent and detect fraud - this may include matching council

tax data with electoral registration information and residency records of

other organisations. We may disclose relevant information to other council

services where it’s necessary and lawful to do so for the provision of services.

We may also share information with other bodies responsible for auditing or

administering public funds.


Stay in control

Report it, apply for it, find it.

Accessing council services is now even quicker online.

is your online

customer account. It’s a faster,

safer and more flexible way to

access council services saving

time and money.

If you’re not already signed up,

register for FREE now at

• Report a missed bin collection,

fly-tipping and more

• Make a request e.g. bulky waste

collection, new bin

• Check your Council Tax balance

• Find your councillor

• Access details of your transactions


• Manage your Council Tax payments

• Report a benefit change

• Check your benefit payments

• Report a change of address

• Set up a direct debit, paperless billing and more



1. Register for an account online

2. Activate your account by email

3. Log in to your account and get started - that’s it!

Contact us

0300 303 8870

(8am to 6pm Monday to Friday)

Revenues and Benefits Service,

Rochdale Borough Council,

PO Box 490, Rochdale OL16 9AJ

Do it online

Our website has lots of information

about council services and you should

be able to find answers to many

questions you have about what we do

and how we can help.

You can get in touch with us online from

a computer - or even from your mobile

phone! This way you can access our

services any time, day or night.

Some of the things you can do are:

• Search for a job

• Pay your council tax

• View or make a planning application

• Renew a library book

For all this and more visit:

Environmental Management:

0300 303 8884

Rochdale Boroughwide Housing repairs:

0800 027 7769

For other enquiries:

01706 647474

Rochdale Borough Council

Number One Riverside, PO Box 100

Smith Street, Rochdale OL16 9NP

• Check to see if you’re entitled to


• Pay a parking fine

• Apply for school places

• Request a bulky waste collection

Have you found this leaflet useful?

Does it give you all the information you want? Could we improve it?

Let us know what you think by emailing: 14

More magazines by this user
Similar magazines