Views
9 months ago

Bay Harbour: January 25, 2017

PAGE 22 BAY HARBOUR

PAGE 22 BAY HARBOUR Wednesday January 25 2017 Entries with any purchase at SuperValue from 16th January until the 29th January 2017. An Avanti Spice 20 inch bike, Avanti Shadow 16 inch bike and helmets to be won in each store. For more information and terms and conditions see supervalue.co.nz/bike-wise. Fresh NZ Lamb Shoulder Chops Coke/Sprite/ Fanta/Lift/L&P 1.5L $ 9 99 kg $ 2 49 each Sweet Juicy Yellow Hunny Nectarines Just Juice/Citrus Tree Fruit Juice 2.4/2.8L $ 4 99 kg $ 3 99 each Fresh Tegel NZ Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets Sweetcorn Alpine Butter 500g $ 11 99 kg DB/Tui/Export Gold/Citrus 12 x 330ml Bottles/Cans 89 c each Lindauer 750ml (Excludes Special Reserve) $ 4 30 each Talley’s Ice Cream 2L Please drink responsibly $ 17 99 pack SuperValueNZ SuperValue.co.nz $ 9 99 each $ 4 99 each SuperValue Lyttelton: 17 London Street, Lyttelton. Phone 328 7368. Open 7am-9pm, 7 days. SuperValue Sumner: 3 Village Mall, Sumner. Phone 326 5688. Open 7am-9pm, 7 days. Specials available from Wednesday, 25th January until Sunday, 29th January 2017 or while stocks last. We reserve the right to limit quantities. All limits specified apply per customer per day. Trade not supplied. Prepared meals are serving suggestions only. Props not included. Certain products may not be available in all stores. Proprietary brands not for resale. Customer Support Freephone 0800 40 40 40. svbhn2501

Wednesday January 25 2017 BAY HARBOUR PAGE 23 News Steel mesh class action lawsuit looms • By Tom Doudney ABOUT 3000 Canterbury homeowners have been sent letters inviting them to join a class action lawsuit against three companies which allegedly supplied substandard steel mesh. Auckland firm Adina Thorn Lawyers has proposed taking the lawsuit against the companies which are also set to be prosecuted by the Commerce Commission this year under the Fair Trading Act. The steel mesh, alleged to be below the national building standard, is typically used in concrete slab foundations and driveways. The letter stated that if the companies were found guilty in the Commerce Commission’s prosecution they would face fines but this was “very unlikely” to deliver financial compensation to affected home owners. “Unless the owners of affected properties take legal action, they will likely face losses in terms of resale values, as well as possible complications with insurance claims in the event of an earthquake,” it said. The three companies were not named by the Commerce Commission but one, Steel & Tube, chose to identify itself. Steel & SAFETY ISSUE: About 3000 Canterbury homeowners have received letters inviting them to take part in a class action lawsuit over sub-standard steel mesh allegedly being used in their homes. Tube has said the commission’s decision in relation to itself was about the application of testing methodologies and mistaken use of a testing laboratories logo on test certificates, not the performance characteristics of its seismic mesh. Adina Thorn Lawyers senior associate Richard Hart (left) said homes which received the letters had been chosen based on having had a building consent issued during the four years that the non-complying mesh was being supplied. He acknowledged the firm did not know whether it had been used in any of the specific homes it sent letters to. The 3000 was just a subset of potentially affected homes with the total number “too difficult to obtain at this stage,” Mr Hart said. “This is a potentially serious problem, we don’t want to alarm people but on the other hand it’s an opportunity for people to perhaps find out a bit more and find out whether or not [joining the lawsuit] is worthwhile.” Letters had been sent to new Auckland subdivisions as well but Mr Hart said Canterbury had the potential to be worse affected due to the possibility of future seismic activity in the region. Steel & Tube communications manager Tanya Katterns said Adina Thorn had not provided information to support its claims that resale values and insurance claims could be affected. “We believe our seismic mesh ensures building safety,” she said. Last year Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment general manager building system performance Derek Baxter said he was not concerned that the mesh posed a safety risk for newly-built houses and was confident they would still comply with the Building Code. The Structural Engineering Society has also said homeowners should not be unnecessarily concerned about the steel mesh in their houses. The city council referred questions from The Star to the Commerce Commission. A spokeswoman for the commission said it did not wish to comment on the class action. DESIGNER FASHION AT OUTLET PRICES SMART BRANDS SMARTER PRICES HORNBY 409 Main South Road | Open 10am–5pm, 7 days