4 Tuesday August 30 2016 News Proposals to restore church • By Tom Doudney THE HORORATA Community Trust has submitted two proposals on how it could help with the restoration of St John’s Anglican Church. Hororata Community Trust chairman Richard Lang said the trust had put detailed written proposals to the Church Property Trustees. The historic church was damaged in the September 2010 earthquake. The community trust saw its role as fundraising and helping to set the specifications of the repair, in consultation with the community. “Rebuilding the church has always been at the top of our agenda,” Mr Lang said. “There is wide community support to see this building reinstated to its former glory. To this end, we have been working with the Anglican Church since the earthquakes and have been in direct discussions with the Church Property Trustees since late 2014.” The trust was also working with the Hororata Citizens committee and Ashley Hide from Athfield Architects on a project plan for the Hororata Hall. Residents face costly battle • By Tom Doudney LEADLEYS RD residents are facing a costly bill to oppose the presence of a company which has been operating a contractor’s yard without resource consent for several years. Paul’s Excavation Services acquired the 4ha property at 304 Leadleys Rd south of Prebbleton in 2012. It has been using it to store about 10 trucks as well as several diggers, other machinery and piled soil. Four nearby property owners are concerned about noise, dust and traffic movements. One of those residents, Phil Colegate, said he first approached the district council in May 2014 about whether the business should have to obtain resource consent. However, it had been “dragging its heels” in addressing the matter until this month when it notified residents that a commissioners’ hearing on the company’s resource consent application would take place on September 13. The district council also advised that if residents wanted to oppose the application, they should hire planning, health and safety, environmental and legal H90 x W130mm experts which it estimated would cost them about $40,000. “I thought I was being a responsible ratepayer in reporting this business and two-and-a-half years down the road. I am disappointed to find myself in the position of facing the choice of appointing professional experts to defend my rural lifestyle, a duty I entrusted to Selwyn District Council,” Mr Colegate said. Paul’s Excavation Services owner Steve Paul said the business’s use of the site was “very low key” and he hadn’t initially been aware that resource consent was needed. He said he was disappointed that residents had gone to the district council without talking to him first. “We are approachable people, if anybody wanted to come down and say to us: ‘You are making too much noise’ first tell us what the noise is and then we could, with no problem at all, try and contain the noise. But we don’t really make noise, all we do is park up there, start up in the morning and go.” Mr Paul said he had no plans to expand operations on the site. SELWYN TIMES UNWELCOME PRESENCE: Residents of Leadleys Rd, near Prebbleton, are unhappy about the presence of this contracting yard, which Paul’s Excavation Services has been operating without resource consent. PHOTO: GEOFF SLOAN The Selwyn Times asked the district council why it had allowed the company to operate for so long without resource consent. In response, acting chief executive Stephen Hill said a thorough investigation had to be undertaken and evidence of a District Plan breach proven before enforcement action could be taken. “This can be a lengthy process,” Mr Hill said. He also said the company had been slow in providing information requested by the district council. John Sunckell ECAN 2016 “Working together taking us forward” • A steady experienced hand • Strong Mid Canterbury voice • Thriving sustainable communities • Responsible resource use • Simple regulatory processes 0274 542 554 john4ecan firstname.lastname@example.org Authorised by John Sunckell, 100 Caldwells Road, Leeston Maronan Road, Tinwald, Ashburton SundAy 4Th SepTeMbeR Open: 11am - 4pm FATHERS DAY - ALL DADS RIDE FREE with a fare-paying Child on our Railcar. Ashburton Fire Museum and Lynn Museum of Woodworking open, Model Engineers operating. **EFTPOS ON-SITE** Visit www.plainsrailway.co.nz or our Facebook Page for details Phone: 03 308 9600 RICCARTON Gentle family dentistry QcaRd finance available here* *Qcard lending criteria,fees, terms and conditions apply. 62 Riccarton Road | (03) 348 8191 www.riccartondentalcentre.co.nz Don’t Miss Out - Just 2 Cabins Left Christmas Markets by River, November 2016 Fully Escorted by You Travel Ferrymead An amazing and unique opportunity to experience the picturesque European Christmas Markets during the festive season – a must for Christmas lovers! This 20 Day Tour departs 15 November 2016, be quick numbers are limited! *Terms & Conditions: Prices quoted are not guaranteed and are subject to availability at time of booking. All prices, itineraries and special programs are subject to change without notice.
SELWYN TIMES Tuesday August 30 2016 5 News Gang targeted burglar’s home • By Tom Doudney SUSPECTED GANG members raided serial burglar Luke Reich’s home looking for stolen firearms while he was on remand in jail. But police had got there first, finding about 15 shotguns and rifles – some hidden in an electric piano – in the Burnham house. Constable Chris Caldwell said it was a relief that the weapons had ended up in police hands, rather than the alternative. “We all know that firearms get stolen occasionally and we hope they don’t end up in the hands of gangs and the like, but we know some of them probably do,” he said. “To be able to retrieve those ones before possible gang members got hold of them is good for the safety of everyone, including police.” Yesterday, Reich, 21, was sentenced to two years, nine months imprisonment and ordered to pay $10,268 in reparations for 26 burglaries, 10 thefts and six charges of unlawfully interfering with cars. He stole numerous firearms during his crime spree which took place, mostly in Selwyn, between November and February. Police believe gang members REMORSEFUL: Convicted burglar Luke Reich was in the district court last week for sentencing. He plans to sell his motor-cycle to make reparations to his victims. PHOTO: TOM DOUDNEY may have got their information about the stolen firearms, which they believed were still in the Burnham house, from prison intelligence while Reich was in custody. Guns can sell for hundreds of dollars on Christchurch’s black market and have become an item of choice for burglars who are targeting homes where they know there are firearms. Police say the illicit drug trade is fuelling the need for criminals to arm themselves and gangs are key players. They are also being used in armed robberies. There has been a spate of armed hold-ups in recent weeks in Christchurch at bakeries, bars and fast food outlets. At last week’s sentencing in the district court, it was revealed that Reich deliberately avoided taking children’s Christmas presents during his pre-Christmas burglaries. Judge David Saunders said he accepted that Reich was remorseful for what he had done and that he appeared to have a conscience. He also noted that Reich’s employment issues and drug and alcohol problems had been factors in his offending. In not setting a longer prison sentence he had taken into account Reich’s lack of previous offending, his remorse and his potential to make reparations to his victims. Defence counsel Phillip Allan said Reich would sell his motorcycle to put towards reparations and, upon release, would live with his parents while working to pay off the rest of the money. “He wants to put things right,” Mr Allan said. Judge Saunders recommended that Reich be assessed for a drug and alcohol treatment programme. Reich was caught on February 13 by Weedons Rd resident Chris Flanagan who disturbed him in his garage early in the morning and tackled him as he tried to escape. In Brief FIRST ENROLMENT Lemonwood Grove School in Rolleston’s Faringdon subdivision has had its first enrolment. Enrolments opened last week and Angus Winter was the first pupil to hand in his forms. The new school will open in January. BIOSECURITY HUI The Ministry for Primary Industries will be holding a hui and public meeting at Lincoln University on Thursday as part of efforts to create a national conversation about managing biosecurity risks to New Zealand. At the meetings, people will be asked their views on how to keep New Zealand free from pests and diseases. Last month the Minister for Primary Industries Nathan Guy launched a ‘Biosecurity 2025’ discussion document. Public submissions on the document close on September 9. KIWI GUARDIAN SITE The Little River Rail Trail which runs through Selwyn has been added to the list of Toyota Kiwi Guardians sites. The sites are part of the Department of Conservation’s nationwide network encouraging children to get outdoors.