Views
2 months ago

The Canadian Parvasi - Issue 31

The

The International News Weekly india February 09, 2018 | Toronto 10 J&K Police accept security lapses led to terrorist's escape Indo-Asian News Service Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Police on Thursday said the audacious attack and subsequent escape of a Pakistani terrorist from a Srinagar hospital two days back was a well planned and executed conspiracy that threw open chinks in the security setup. Director General of Police (DGP) S.P.Vaid said the militant attack and subsequent escape of Naveed Jat alias Abu Hunzullah on February 6 from the SMHS hospital was not possible without connivance at the Srinagar Central Jail. "An SIT headed by a Superintendent of Police is looking into this incident. I believe a magisterial probe is also being ordered to ascertain all that led to the attack and the subsequent escape," Vaid said. Asked why such a high value catch had been lodged in the Srinagar prison, and not outside the Kashmir Valley, as most other such detainees were, Vaid said Hunzullah had been shifted to Srinagar following a court order. Gaping holes in the security setup came to light following Tuesday's escape of Hunzullah from the Out Patients Department (OPD) of Karan Nagar's Shri Maharaja Hari Singh (SMHS) Hospital, in which two policemen were also killed. Several questions have been raised following the escape in broad daylight: Why were only two policemen escorting the terrorist when he was taken to the hospital along with other detainees for a medical check up? Was the standard operating procedure (SOP) prescribed for such visits strictly followed? Unless the exact movement, time and route was known to the militants planning the attack, could such a successful escape be executed? More important than anything else, unless exact details were leaked to the militants from the Srinagar Central Jail, the attack would not have taken place. As authorities battle answers to these embarrassing questions, intelligence reports here suggest that the escape was planned by the Lashkar-e-Taiba in tandem with the Hizbul outfit. An all-out effort has been launched by the security forces to hunt down the escaped terrorist, who has already joined back the militant ranks if a video clip released by Riyaz Naikoo, a top ranking militant commander active in south Kashmir is to be believed. Actor Jeetendra's cousin claims he sexually assaulted her when she was 18 Indo-Asian News Service Shimla : Veteran Bollywood actor Jeetendra was on Wednesday accused of sexually harassing his cousin, who has come forward to file a police complaint 47 years after the alleged incident. Jeetendra, whose real name is Ravi Kapoor, is the son of the victim's father's sister. The victim made the allegation in a police complaint filed with Himachal Pradesh's Director General of Police. A copy of the complaint is with IANS. As per the complaint, the incident took place in January 1971, when the victim was 18 and Jeetendra was 28. It happened when he "arranged" for the victim to join him from New Delhi to Shimla on the set of his movie without the complainant's "awareness". The victim has claimed that on the night they reached Shimla, Jeetendra returned to the room in an inebriated state, joined the two separate beds and sexually assaulted her. The allegation comes amid the #MeToo campaign as part of which women have come out about facing sexual abuse at the hands of powerful men. While several ladies have accused Hollywood's powerful men, the Hindi film industry -- while admitting the prevalence of abuse -- have not named and shamed as openly. Jeetendra, now 75, is a well-known name in the Hindi film industry. He is also a film producer, and has daughter Ekta and son Tusshar with wife Shobhaa. PM should answer the nation in Parliament, not question opposition: Rahul Indo-Asian News Service New Delhi : Congress President Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi should answer the nation on the Rafale deal, farmers issues and on employment generation, instead of questioning the opposition Congress. Talking to reporters outside Parliament, Gandhi said he can understand that before 2014 Modi was blaming the Congress for everything, but even after being in power for four years he was still questioning the opposition instead of giving answers to the people from the floor of the House. "I can understand that before 2014, the Prime Minister was talking about the 70 years of Congress rule. But today, the BJP is in government, Modi is the Prime Minister not opposition," the Congress President said, soon after Modi finished his speech in the Lok Sabha, in which he fiercely attacked the Congress, during his reply on the Motion of Thanks on the President's Speech. "He can talk about this in a public meeting, but in Parliament, you have to answer to the country," he said. Gandhi raised questions on the details of the Rafale fighter jet deal, alleging corruption, on the farmers' issues and employment generation in the country. "There is corruption in the Rafale deal, Prime Minister should answer on that," he said. The Prime Minister, in his more than one and a half hour long speech, questioned the previous Congress-led government and blamed them for "hastily" bifurcating Andhra Pradesh. Government ally Telugu Desam Party was staging a protest in the House as the Prime Minister came to reply. The TDP members later returned to their seats, but Congress MPs continued to protest. Modi also blamed the former governments under the Congress for not doing enough for the progress of the country, and said India is lagging behind because of them. Violence in Punjab town after 2 die in accident Indo-Asian News Service Chandigarh : At least four vehicles and one liquor vend were set ablaze in the violence that erupted following an accident in which two youth were killed in Punjab's Dera Baba Nanak town on Tuesday, police said. The two were killed while they were riding on their two-wheeler and it was hit by a pick up jeep in the town around 55 km from Amritsar. The speeding pick-up jeep belonging to a liquor contractor hit the victims' scooter from behind. Both died on the spot. Family members of the victims alleged that the liquor contractor had deliberately killed the youth. "We registered a case of murder," Batala Senior Superintendent of Police Upinderjit Singh Ghumman told the media. The police rushed to the spot after violence broke out. However, by then the mob had set the vehicles and the liquor vend on fire. A fire tender was rushed to the spot. Dera Baba Nanak town is around 255 km from here. It lies close to the international border with Pakistan. ’84 riots: Tytler says video fake, to sue DSGMC chief Continued from page 01 Talking to The Tribune on the phone, Tytler said, “It (video) is all ‘bakwas’ (nonsense). It’s not my voice. It’s all concocted. I will file a case against Manjit Singh.”Meanwhile, GK, along with riot victims, today took out a candlelight march here, demanding Tytler’s arrest, even as BJP national secretary RP Singh met Delhi Home Minister Hansraj Ahir and sought an FIR against the Congress leader.GK said he would gherao the Delhi Police headquarters tomorrow if the police failed to take action against Tytler. He said, “I have submitted a complaint against Tytler at the Greater Kailash police station.” He added: “Even if I lose my life, the SAD cannot give up the fight for justice.”RP Singh asked Ahir “to ensure that the Delhi Police do not come under pressure and influence of Tytler and investigate and file an FIR as soon as possible and take required action to ensure justice to the Sikhs.”He had yesterday submitted a complaint to the office of the Deputy Commissioner of Police (New Delhi), seeking the registration of an FIR under Sections 302, 147, 149 and 120-B of the IPC.

The International News Weekly india February 09, 2018 | Toronto 11 Indian Army shall give proper reply to Pakistan: Rajnath Indo-Asian News Service New Delhi: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Monday condemned the cross-border firing by Pakistan in which four Indian soldiers, including a Captain, were killed, saying he has full faith in the valour of the Indian Army and they shall "give proper reply" to the neighbour. "Have full faith in the valour of our soldiers, and they shall give proper reply," Rajnath Singh told reporters. Earlier, Minister of State for Home Affairs Hansraj Ahir also condemned Sunday's ceasefire violation in Jammu and Kashmir's Rajouri and Poonch districts saying that it shall "cost Pakistan dearly". "Pakistan has been violating ceasefire along the LoC. And this year the number of ceasefire violations are high," Ahir said. "Yesterday (Sunday) also, they again violated ceasefire. We will not forgive Pakistan's actions," the Minister said. "The ceasefire violations would prove to be Pakistan's foolishness and will cost them dearly," he added. Union Minister for MSME, Giriraj Singh also slammed Pakistan for the ceasefire violations and said, "Have faith in the Indian Army. When the right time comes they shall give a proper reply to them." Referring to the 2016 surgical strikes, the Minister said, "When the Army carried out surgical strikes it didn't tell the media about it. Similarly they shall act accordingly at the right time." He said India has been following international laws. "There is a Hindi saying in Bihar 'latkhor' (addicted to being beaten), and similarly Pakistan is 'latkhor' and thus proper reply would be given to them," he added. The Minister's remarks came in the wake of the increased cross border firing in Kashmir valley. On Sunday, four Indian soldiers were killed and four others were injured in firing in Rajouri and Poonch districts. The killed soldiers included Captain Kapil Kundu, who would have celebrated his 23rd birthday on February 10. Hailing from Haryana's Gurugram, he is survived by his mother Sunita. The others were Riflemen Ramavatar, 27, from Baraka village in Madhya Pradesh's Gwalior, besides Subham Singh, 23, from Kathua and Havilder Roshan Lal, 43, from Samba in Jammu and Kashmir. Missing oil tanker with 22 Indians aboard released: Sushma Indo-Asian News Service New Delhi : An oil tanker with 22 Indians on board that went missing off Benin coast in the Gulf of Guinea near West Africa on Saturday that was believed to have been hijacked by pirates has been released, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said on Tuesday. "I am happy to inform that Merchant Ship Marine Express with 22 Indian nationals on board has been released. We thank (the) governments of Nigeria and Benin for their help and support," the Minister tweeted. The ship is owned by Mumbai-based Anglo Eastern Shipping Company. AIMPLB demands action against those speaking of building Ayodhya temple Indo-Asian News Service Hyderabad : The All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) on Thursday demanded contempt of court proceedings against those speaking of building Ram temple at the site of the demolished Babri Masjid in Ayodhya. The apex body of the Indian Muslims, which is beginning its crucial threeday plenary here on Friday, said the court and the government should take action against those making such statements. "This is a clear case of contempt of court. The court and the government should take action," said Board spokesman Moulana Sajaad Nomani. He told reporters that the Board would present its case before the Supreme Court and would abide by its verdict. The apex court on Thursday began hearing petitions challenging the 2010 Allahbad High Court verdict in Ayodhya dispute case and fixed March 14 as the next date of hearing. Nomani said the Board had not received any proposal from any organization regarding the Babri Masjid case to queries about reports that some organisations sent a proposal offering alternate land for building a mosque. The Babri Masjid committee of the Board will place its report before the plenary and the same will be discussed. Nomani said the meeting would review all the cases relating to Babri Masjid. The lawyers will brief the meeting on the developments in Babri Masjid demolition case. In April 2017, the Supreme Court had ordered that all cases relating to the demolition be transferred to Lucknow court for day to day hearing and they be dispose of in a year, he said. Another committee of the Board will present its report about the mosques under the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI). Nomani said it was very unfortunate that the ASI does not allow 'namaz' in these mosques but "was blind to all illegal and immoral activities there". The committee, which has done a survey of such mosques, will place its report for debate. The Board will chalk out a strategy for a democratic and legal fight over the issue. Turkish hackers compromise Anupam Kher, Ram Madhav's Twitter accounts Indo-Asian News Service New Delhi : Twitter on Tuesday temporarily shut down the accounts of veteran actor Anupam Kher, RSS leader and BJP General Secretary Ram Madhav and senior Indian journalist and Member of Parliament Swapan Dasgupta after they were allegedly hacked by pro-Pakistani Turkish cyber army Ayyildiz Tim. "Our teams are working to resolve an issue affecting a small number of Indian users. We will notify affected account holders directly. Reminder: do not click on links in DMs coming from unknown accounts," Twitter posted on @TwitterSupport handle. Kher's account handle was changed from @anupampkher to @anupampkhertc and his tweets bore unusual messages. The messages were later deleted. When people tried to access Dasgupta's account, a message read, "Caution: This account is temporarily restricted. You're seeing this warning because there has been some unusual activity from this account. Do you still want to view it?"When users went ahead to see the profile, they could see nothing but promoted posts.Ram Madhav's account displayed a message saying, "Your account has been hacked by Turkish cyber army Ayyildiz Tim. Your DM correspondence and important data have been captured. I Love Pakistan." After the accounts were hacked, #AnupamKher became one of the top trending hashtags on the micro-blogging site with 1,221 tweets bearing the actors name. Officer’s father urges SC to quash FIR against Army Indo-Asian News Service New Delhi The father of Major Aditya Kumar, named in an FIR by Jammu and Kashmir Police in civilian killings during a firing incident, on Thursday moved the Supreme Court to quash the case because it will hurt the Army's morale in fighting terrorism in the state. Major Kumar and other soldiers of 10 Garhwal Rifles have been accused of opening fire and fatally injuring three civilians when a stone-pelting mob attacked an army convoy near Ganowpora village in Shopian district on January 27. The FIR would hurt the morale of Army personnel in discharging duty, Lt Col Karamveer Singh said in his plea filed through advocate Aishwarya Bhati. "The manner in which the lodging of the FIR has been portrayed and projected by the political leadership and administrative higher-ups of the State, reflects the extremely hostile atmosphere in the state. "In these circumstances, the petitioner is left with no other viable option but to approach this Court under Article 32 of the Constitution of India for protection of valuable Fundamental Rights of his son and himself, enshrined under Article 14 and 21 of the Constitution of India," the plea said. It said that Major Kumar was wrongly and arbitrarily named as the incident relates to an Army convoy on bonafide military duty in an area under the AFSPA, which was isolated by an "unruly and deranged" stone-pelting mob.

"1984 Sikhs' Kristallnacht" PDF - Ensaaf
Click open Issue No.39 - Frontier Weekly
issue no-76 - feb - The Delhi Golf Club