Views
2 weeks ago

The Canadian Parvasi - Issue 31

The

The International News Weekly World February 09, 2018 | Toronto 06 India may target CPEC installations: Pakistan Interior Ministry Indo-Asian News Service Islamabad : India plans to attack installations along the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) to sabotage the multi-billion dollar mega project, Pakistan's Interior Ministry has claimed. The Ministry, in a letter to Gilgit-Baltistan's Home Department warned of possible terrorist attacks on the CPEC route, including bridges at Karakoram Highway and other important points. It issued directives for making foolproof security arrange ments to avoid any untoward incident, Dawn online reported on Monday. An official of the Home Department said that the letter claimed that "India had sent 400 Muslim youngsters to Afghanistan for receiving training to be able to carry out attacks". The Gilgit-Baltistan government said it enhanced security on the CPEC route, including two dozen bridges built on Karakoram Highway from Khunjerab Pass to Diamer district. Police officials said the movements of foreigners in Gilgit-Baltistan would be monitored and their documents would be verified. The letter said that police personnel deputed for the security of bridges at Karakoram Highway needed to be put on high alert. It said that local police officers should conduct combing operations, supervise checking at vulnerable points, hotels and guest houses. The project, a key artery of Beijing's mega Belt and Road initiative, has caused much friction between India and China over the past few years. The CPEC links China's Kashgar in Xinjiang province with Pakistan's Gwadar port in Balochistan through a network of roads, railways and highways. India strongly objects to the route of the corridor, which goes through Pakistan-administered Kashmir. Japan launches world's smallest rocket Indo-Asian News Service Bengaluru: In what has been described as "a fantastic achievement", Japan successfully launched a satellite on Saturday using the worlds lightest rocket outsmarting nations trying to develop cheaper light-weight rockets to cash in on the booming market for microsatellites. The SS-520 rocket, about the size of a lamp post and 50 centimeters in diameter, lifted off from the Uchinoura Space Center in Kagoshima and placed its payload in the intended orbit, according to Japan's space agency JAXA. The three-stage rocket carried a micro-satellite weighing about three kilograms developed by the University of Tokyo to collect imagery of the Earth's surface. JAXA's record-setting flight of the smallest satellite-carrying rocket follows an aborted launch last year when the flight of an SS-520 had to be terminated shortly after liftoff due to a communications problem leading to loss of power in the data transmitter. Raghavan Gopalaswami, a retired aerospace systems analyst and former Chairman of Bharat Dynamics Ltd., under the defense ministry, said the Japanese use of a lightweight rocket for satellite launch is "fantastic". He said the Japanese may have used "extraordinarily high propellant specific impulse, extraordinarily high strength-to-weight ratio materials and micro-miniaturization of electronics which they are known for". According to Japanese news reports, the agency used commercially available components found in home electronics and smart phones for the rocket to lower the launch cost. The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has also announced plans to develop small rockets to meet the growing demand for vehicles to take small satellites into space. Its Chairman, K. Sivan, has reportedly said that ISRO is planning to develop a small launch vehicle that could be assembled in just three days, will cost onetenth the cost of conventional launch vehicles, and will be much lighter. Gas station owned by Sikh vandalised with racial slur Continued from page 01 The TV channel said security footage showed a person wearing a ski mask approaching the store just after 11.30 pm.“I was really nervous about that. It happened to me for the first time in this store in four years time. I've never done wrong to the community here. I try to help the community all the time,” Singh said.According to local Daily Mail, there were obscenities and other crudely-lettered markings on the store that appear to say "leave".Singh says he came to America from India in the early 1990s to pursue the American dream, but what happened at his store is more of a nightmare.The Kentucky State Police say they are investigating the case as criminal mischief but they do plan on working with county prosecutors to discuss a hate crime charge on those responsible.Customers hope the disturbing images and hateful act do not reflect on their community.But despite the hateful comments, Singh says he could forgive the vandals, and hopes they do not strike again. Lotus Funeral Home & Cremation Centre Is The Only Funeral Home Owned And Operated By A Licensed South Asian Funeral Director, Kamal Bhardwaj FUNERAL AND CREMATION CENTRE INC. Comfortable Seating for 500! Adaptable rooms for any size funeral. CREMATORIUM INSIDE OUR BUILDING! Special Lotus Room for witnessing & option to broadcast cremation. Our Staff understand the South Asian languages, dialects & cultures We cater to all rituals & religions. Ask about our affordable pre-arrangement plans 121 City View Drive, Etobicoke (On east side of Highway 27) www.lotusfuneralandcremation.com

The International News Weekly World February 09, 2018 | Toronto 07 Still committed to a three-country NAFTA negotiation, US insists The Canadian Press WASHINGTON : The United States is stressing its support for renegotiating a three-country NAFTA agreement after comments from an American lawmaker suggesting it was considering splitting Canada and Mexico into separate talks. "The U.S. objective has been and remains renegotiating and modernizing NAF- TA on a trilateral basis," Amelia Breinig, a spokeswoman with the United States trade representative, said in a statement Wednesday. ''With six rounds of renegotiations completed, some progress has been made, but not nearly enough. As we said (at the last round) in Montreal, we all must redouble our efforts at this crucial time.'' That statement came after a moment of confusion on Capitol Hill. U.S. trade czar Robert Lighthizer held a rare briefing on the state of NAFTA with American lawmakers, updating one of the two U.S. congressional committees overseeing trade. One of the congressmen left that meeting saying it appeared the American side, frustrated by the pace of talks with Canada, was considering concluding a quick agreement with Mexico — and sorting out a deal with Canada later. "He thinks more progress has been made with Mexico. And that there might be a way to wrap things up and down and just maintain ongoing negotiations with Canada at that point," said Ron Kind, a Wisconsin Democrat. "He would not be dissatisfied with just doing a bilateral with Mexico and continuing negotiations (with Canada)." That ambiguity lingered as three other lawmakers who left the meeting wouldn't confirm or deny what Lighthizer said. The U.S. trade czar, for his part, also refused to discuss it: "You know I don't talk," Lighthizer said as he left the meeting. Some meeting participants said any talk of splitting up the negotiations might be tactical — to simply up the pressure on Canada to accede to U.S. demands: ''Negotiations are all about leverage,'' said Brian Higgins, a Democrat from upper New York state. Some Democrats called it strange to say things were going more smoothly with Mexico — when the most fundamental issues involve Mexico and have yet to be settled, including labour rights, outsourced jobs and auto rules of origin. Sander Levin said the U.S. administration might be annoyed at some of Canada's recent trade moves, but he doesn't see how the dynamics of the negotiation have changed much since the U.S. supposedly entered these talks to bring back manufacturing jobs from Mexico. ''I think Canada's filing the (World Trade Organization) complaint (against the U.S.) was very unsettling,'' Levin said. Pakistan raises Kashmir in UNSC, asks for review of 1948 resolution US military strikes kill 100 pro-regime forces in Syria Indo-Asian News Service United Nations : Pakistan has brought up the Kashmir issue in the Security Council, accusing it of "selective implementation" of its resolutions. "Nothing undermines the credibility of the Council more than selective implementation of its resolutions," Pakistan's Permanent Representative Maleeha Lodhi said on Tuesday during a session on its working methods. "The Council should therefore periodically review implementation of its resolutions, especially on longstanding issues like the Jammu and Kashmir dispute," she added. "Failure to enforce its own resolutions undercuts not just the Council's standing in the world, but the UN as well." Her reference was to a 1948 Council resolution that called for a plebiscite to determine the future of Kashmir, while also demanding the withdrawal of Pakistani "tribesmen" who entered the state. India has said that the "tribesmen" were Pakistani troops who tried to annex Kashmir. Given Pakistan's refusal to withdraw its troops, India could not hold hold a plebiscite and New Delhi maintains that by participating in the elections in the state the Kashmiri people have exercised their democratic rights integrating with India. Other Council resolutions relating to Kashmir were about a commission to oversee the plebiscite and, in 1957, on a UN representative mediating between the two neighbours. India also maintains that under the 1972 Simla Agreement signed by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, who was then the President of Pakistan, the two countries have agreed to sort out their disputes between themselves without the intervention of third parties. In 2010, the Council removed Kashmir from its list of unresolved international disputes. At the beginning of every year, Pakistan also asks the Council to keep alive the question of the Hyderabad's integration with India based on a telegram from Nizam Mir Osman Ali Khan Siddiqi Asaf Jah VII asking it to keep India out of the princely state. The Nizam, however, withdrew the complaint after the princely state's integration into India. Indo-Asian News Service Washington: The US-led coalition fighting the Islamic State (IS) conducted air and artillery strikes against proregime forces in Syria, killing over 100 fighters, the coalition said in a statement. The coalition said Wednesday's strikes had been carried out after forces allied with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad "initiated an unprovoked attack" against a well-established Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) headquarters where coalition advisers were working with US-backed Syrian fighters, reports CNN. Some 500 pro-regime troops carried out the attack using artillery, mortar fire and Russianmade tanks, a US military official said. "Syrian pro-regime forces maneuvered T-54 and T-72 main battle tanks with supporting mortar fire in what appears to be a coordinated attack on the SDF approximately 8 kilometre east of the Euphrates River de-confliction line in Khusham, Syria," the military JAIN DENTAL Family, Cosmetic, Implant & Sedation Dentistry STRAIGHTER,BRIGHTER & HEALTHIER SMILES In Just A Few Appointments Not Months Or Years! Brampton Location 905.794.0100 3938 Cottrelle Blvd. Unit #1 Brampton, ON L6P 2R1 Woodbridge Location Email: info@jaindentalclinic.ca 905-832-0050 3971 Major Mackenzie Dr. W, Unit 5 & 6, Woodbridge, ON L4H 4G1 Dr. Meenakshi Jain BDS, DDS official said. The official said that about "20 to 30 artillery and tank rounds landed within 500 metres" of the headquarters before the US-backed fighters and coalition forces "targeted the aggressors with a combination of air and artillery strikes". "We estimate more than 100 Syrian pro-regime forces were killed while engaging (Syrian Democratic Forces) and Coalition forces. "This action was taken in self-defence," the official said, adding that pro-regime forces that returned across the river had not been targeted. No coalition or US personnel were killed or injured, CNN quoted the coalition as saying. The official said the coalition suspected that pro-regime forces were attempting to seize territory, including lucrative oil fields, that the SDF had liberated from the IS in September. The US maintains about 2,000 troops in Syria, who mostly work with the over 50,000-strong SDF, a mix of Kurdish and Arab fighters who have been the primary US-backed force fighting the IS in Syria. Dr Bhushan Jain is a General Dentist & also provides: » Difficult and Complicated root canal treatments » Retreatment of previously done root canal treatments » Dental Implants » All kinds of complicated & wisdom teeth extractions Dr. Bhushan Jain BDS, DDS, FICOI, Cert. IV Sedation • Friendly Treatment For Children • Complete and Partial Dentures • Emergency & Walk-in patients are Welcome • Crown & Bridge Work • All Insurance Plans Accepted • Sleep Dentistry for Kids & Adults • Weekend & Late Evening Appointments Available

"1984 Sikhs' Kristallnacht" PDF - Ensaaf
Click open Issue No.39 - Frontier Weekly
issue no-76 - feb - The Delhi Golf Club