Vanguard Newspaper 13 February 2018
44—Vanguard, TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2018
Vanguard, TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2018 — 45 SABC says Zuma agrees to go, spokesman denies SOUTH Africa’s SABC state broadcaster reported on Monday that Jacob Zuma had agreed to resign as head of state, citing sources, but the embattled leader’s spokesman quickly dismissed this as “fake news”. The rand, which had gained as much as 1 percent on expectations Zuma was on his way out, surrendered some of its gains after the rebuttal by the spokesman but remained 0.5 percent stronger on the day to the dollar. Standing outside a meeting of the top leadership of the ruling ANC, SABC correspondent Tshepo Ikaneng cited “authoritative sources” saying 75-year-old Zuma had agreed to step down and formalities on how to tell the nation were being discussed. The broadcaster also tweeted the report on its Twitter handle @SAfmnews. He provided no further details in his brief live broadcast - the first reports that Zuma might be throwing in the towel after repeated calls from his party to end his scandalplagued second term a year early. Zuma’s spokesman, Bongani Ngqulunga, de- US President Donald Trump has unveiled his plan for a revamp of what he’s called “crumbling” US infrastructure. Mr Trump wants Congress to authorise $200bn (£144bn) over a decade to spend on roads, highways, ports and airports. The president hopes the US states and private sector will stimulate another $1.3tn in improvements. Mr Trump tweeted that it was time for the US to Oxfam Deputy resigns over sex claims OXFAM’s Deputy Chief Executive has resigned over the handling of a sex scandal involving aid workers. The British charity is accused of concealing the findings of an inquiry into claims staff used prostitutes while delivering aid in Haiti in 2011. Penny Lawrence said she was “ashamed” and takes full responsibility. Oxfam - which denies a cover-up - has met with the International Development Secretary in a bid to prevent its government funding from being cut. Ms Lawrence joined Oxfam GB in 2006 as international programmes director, leading teams across 60 countries, according to the charity’s website. “Concerns were raised about the behaviour of nied the reports in a text message, describing them as “fake news”. The meeting of the ANC’s decision-making National Executive Committee (NEC) in a Pretoria hotel had set the stage for a decisive showdown between Zuma stalwarts and those backing a swift transfer of power to new party leader and current Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa. Ramaphosa, 65, says he has held direct talks with Zuma over a transfer of power, and said on Sunday the meeting of the party’s executive committee would be aiming on Monday to “fi- Trump unveils US infrastructure blueprint Liberia’s Sirleaf wins $5m African leadership prize invest in itself after “stupidly spending seven trillion dollars in the Middle East”. The plan calls for $50bn of public funding dedicated to modernising infrastructure in rural areas, many of which voted for Mr Trump in the 2016 elections. The proposal includes $100bn for an incentives programme “to spur additional dedicated funds from States, localities, and the private sector”. nalise” the situation. The party executive has the authority to order Zuma to step down as as head of state, although there is some domestic media speculation that he might resist this. Zuma survived calls last year from within the NEC for him to quit. But analysts say there is greater support for him to step down now. Zuma’s tenure as president officially runs until mid-2019 and he has not said in public whether he will step down voluntarily. Zuma is also facing a no-confidence motion in parliament set for Feb. 22, but has survived several similar attempts to oust him in the past. Former Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate and Africa’s first elected female head of state, has won a $5 million Mo Ibrahim award, designed to improve the quality of African political leadership. Johnson Sirleaf, who handed over leadership of the war-scarred West African state last month to ex-international soccer star George Weah, is only the fifth person to win the 10-year-old award. Since its inception, the prize founded by Sudanese telecoms tycoon Mo Ibrahim has not been awarded on several occasions because there was not deemed to be a suitable candidate. The Mo Ibrahim Foundation praised Johnson Sirleaf for her “exception and transformative leadership” in helping steer Liberia’s recovery from many years of civil war. “During her twelve years in office, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf laid the foundations on which Liberia can now build,” the Foundation said. Candidates for the award have to be democratically elected African heads of state or government who have left office during the previous three years at the end of their mandated terms. The prize is $5 million paid out over ten years, with another $200,000 annually throughout the winner’s lifetime. staff in Chad as well as Haiti that we failed to adequately act upon,” she said in a statement. “It is now clear that these allegations - involving the use of prostitutes and which related to behaviour of both the country director and members of his team in Chad - were raised before he moved to Haiti.” The allegations emerged in The Times on Friday, which said Oxfam’s country director for Haiti, Roland van Hauwermeiren, used prostitutes at a villa rented for him by Oxfam in the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake. According to the paper, Oxfam knew about concerns over the conduct of Mr van Hauwermeiren and another man when they worked in Chad before they were given senior roles in Haiti. Oxfam said allegations that underage girls may have been involved were unproven. Widza Bryant, who worked in HR for Oxfam in Haiti from 2009 for three years, said she shared “ongoing rumours” about locals being exploited with her boss “on many occasions”. She told BBC News: “There were a lot of rumours on the ground about management and leaders exploiting the locals sexually and in other ways to get jobs and to have good standing.” Mark Goldring, chief executive of Oxfam GB, admitted failings to act on complaints and when it allowed Mr van Hauwermeiren to move onto another post after allegations were revealed.