02 CONTENT DAILY HERITAGE. WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2018. DAILY QUOTE Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem --Anonymous ANNIVERSARIES 06 March, Independence Day 30 March, Good Friday 02 April, Easter Monday Published by: EIB Network / Heritage Communications Ltd. Managing Editor: William Asiedu: 0208156974 Editor: Kofi Enchill: 0265653335 ISSN: 0855-52307 VOL 7 Location: Meridian House (Starr FM) Ring Road. Box AD 676, Adabraka, Accra,Ghana. Telephone: +233-0302- 236051, 020-8156974 026-5653335 Adverts/Mktg: Paul Ampong-Mensah 024-4360782 Fax: +233-0302-237156 Email: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org www.dailyheritage.com.gh WORLD South Africa: ANC decides Zuma must go ‘urgently' POLITICS Africa needs dynamic leaders – CPP PG.04 PG.12 VIEW My letter of condolence to father of Ebony Reigns PG.06 HEALTH GHS dispels Lassa Fever outbreak scare PG.07 Kas Estate caught up in sand winning brawl BY DAILY HERITAGE REPORTER REAL ESTATE developer, Kas Estate Ghana Limited has been accused of winning sand on plots of land they’ve sold to individuals and companies in the country. Some customers, who trooped to the office of the DAILY HERITAGE last Thursday, threatened to take legal action against the company for allegedly invading their private property without informing them. The company has, however, rubbished the allegations. As source at the company said illegal sand winners were responsible for the sand wining. The leader of the group, who did not want to be named, said he bought four acres of land in 2013 and was ready to commence his projects on the land only to find excavators on the land winning sand after destroying his pillars. He told the DAILY HERITAGE that the most annoying part was that the perpetrators use the sand for concrete blocks and sell to customers. “Why should the company go behind our backs to do that without our permission? Even if they want to do that they should leave our pillars alone and not destroy them without leaving a trace. “You visit the place, what you see is huge sand has been piled up on the land. You dare not use the sand for your projects. The pillars have the plot numbers on them,” he said. The complainants said they had reported the incident at the head office at Tesano for the broken pillars to be re-fixed, but the officials there rather blamed the land owners for not attending to the land. According to the company, before they could mount the pillars for the affected persons each ought to pay GH¢ 1,000.00. “Without the pillars with the plot numbers on them, they will not hand over the land documents to you as they say the surveying machines could not pick the plot number,” he said. When the DAILY HERITAGE visited the affected parts in Golden City Communities Two and Three, Great City Communities One, Two, Three and Four in the Ga South Municipality in the Greater Accra Region on Friday and Saturday there was evidence of sand winning activities in the communities. On Saturday when the reporter visited Great City Communities One, Two, Three and Four, 10 trucks were seen loading sand to be taken to another place. A caretaker, who had been given the right by the new land owners to cultivate the land for farming till they were ready to start their building projects, said his produce had been destroyed by the sand winners. According to the caretaker, he woke up in the morning and saw them winning the sand. He said at Golden City Community Two at Horbor, it took Ghana Police Service personnel to stop them from winning sand on a seven-acre land. “When you are lucky they will give you GH¢ 1,000.00 as compensation if you are not they give nothing at all,” he said. •Sand winning at Golden City Community Two, Horbor Land expert’s position A land expert at the Lands Commission in Accra told the DAILY HERITAGE in an interview that no real estate company had the right to win sand whether they have the permit or not. “This is a serious matter and I will urge the clients to take them on,” the officer said. Kas Estate Ghana Limited A source at Kas Estate Ghana Limited, when called, rubbished the allegations of being involved in sand winning activities. The source said the sand winning was being carried out by illegal sand miners and not from the company. According to him, the land belonged to the buyer so there was no way they could win sand after selling it out. He noted that the company had communication channels where affected persons could channel their grievances through for redress. “We have asked them to erect corner fence wall which is stronger than the pillars. “It is not compulsory for each affected person to pay GH¢ 1,000.00. You can decide not to pay if you have the time do it yourself,” he explained. 2 jailed 120 months, 10 caged • Over Kwabenya cell break BY MUNTALLA INUSAH email@example.com TWO OUT of 10 accused persons, who are standing trial for the cell break at the Kwabenya Police Station which led to the death of one police officer, have been handed 120 months custodial sentence to share. The two-Prince Osei and Atta Kwadwo were convicted on their own plea by the Circuit Court after pleading guilty to two charges of abetment to escape lawful custody and escape from lawful custody. They are to serve 30 months each on count one and another 30 months each on count two, meaning each serves 60 months on both counts and 120 in total. But, they will only serve the first 30 months as the sentenc es run concurrently. The Circuit Court judge, His Honour Mr Aboagye Tandoh in handing them the sentence said, the maximum punishment for the offense of misdemeanor is three years and it took into consideration, the fact that the accused persons pleaded guilty and never wasted the time of the court. According to him, given the modus oparandi, heavy sentence would have been expected but it also took into consideration their plea for mitigation. The two, together • CONTINUE ON PAGE 3
WWW.DAILYHERITAGE.COM.GH DAILY HERITAGE. WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2018. 03 2 jailed 120 months, 10 caged • READ FROM PAGE 2 with a third person Kofi Darko, who pleaded not guilty, were those who escaped from cells. Master Osei, a 25-year-old scrap dealer lives at Dansoman while Kwadwo, a 20-year-old driver's mate lives at Tema, pleaded guilty to charges of abetment to escape lawful custody and escaping lawful custody. The third accused person, master Darko pleaded not guilty to the charges. The three, together with others escaped when some armed men attacked the Kwabenya Police station killing a police officer. The remaining nine others including one woman Nancy Denteh, a bread seller who were charged for abetting the escape of the accused persons in connection with the attack have been charged with abetment to escape from lawful custody. They all pleaded not guilty. • Over Kwabenya cell break Bail deferred Counsel for the remaining accused persons took turns to apply for bail for their clients and the first to do so was Lawyer Bernard Owiredu, for Nancy Dentah, the only female and the bread seller among them. He told the court that, his client is a single mother and an entrepreneur in her own right, adding that, she has a six-year-old son who always needs her mother. Counsel said his client has relatives ready to stand sureties for her and she would submit herself anytime the court needed her. Counsel for Prince Kofi Acheampong and Edward Lartey, said his clients have sureties to stand in for them and that Lartey is a young man of 20 years and per the facts from the police he was not mentioned anywhere in it. Lawyer for George Yeboah told the court that, his client is a family man and has a wife and that he has competent people to stand sureties including members of his church, Jesus Action International Ministry. Elvis Owusu and Theophilus Bandah through their lawyer said the two are gainfully employed and while Owusu works with Le Maxx Restaurant at Accra Mall, Bandah also had his employee in court, Madam Theresa Gaise to attest to that. Superintendant Kweku Bempah, the prosecutor in the case objected to the application for bail and argued that it would be for their own safety to remain in custody, especially with the public attention it has received. He added that, if granted bail, they may not avail themselves to stand trial and the court should therefore refuse their application for bail. The court subsequently deferred ruling on the bail application to February 26, 2018. Plea not taken The accused persons, whose plea in respect of possessing of firearms without authority and abetment to possessing firearm without lawful authority were not taken, will reappear in court on February 13. The court directed that, the prosecution take necessary steps to get the necessary information by consulting the Attorney General before the next adjourned date. According to the court, investigations must be completed and all those needed to be consulted in respect of the matter ought to be done with immediacy. 12 accused persons The accused persons who were arraigned are Prince Odeon, Atta Kwadwo, Kofi Darko, Nancy Dentah, and George Yeboah. The rest are Prince Kofi Acheampong, Edward Lartey, Kofi Seshie, George Sarbah, Elvis Owusu, George Asante and Theophilus Bandah. The attack on the Police station led to the escape of seven suspects. A police officer on duty was also killed in the attack. Amidu shows resilience BY STEPHEN ODOI LARBI THE NOMINEE for the Office of the Special Prosecutor, Mr Martin Alamisi Burns Kaiser Amidu yesterday told the Appointments Committee of Parliament that in him as an investigator and public prosecutor, President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has made the best choice for Ghana. Should Parliament disagree and rather opt for a different person, he wants the legislature to disapprove his nomination. He told the Committee during his over eight hours grilling that he is non-comparable for the Office of the Special Prosecutor job in terms of investigations and prosecution. Giving an account of a contract he once abrogated during the PNDC regime to buttress his argument, Mr Amidu said “SIC decided to enter into a contract with Elcom • Grilled for 8hrs • Says I’m best choice for Special Prosecutor job 6 for building of accommodation in Accra. We disapproved it. It was in Kumasi when I was coming from the North that I heard it in the air that the Ministers for Works and Housing and the Chairman, Committee of Secretaries, had inaugurated the Board. When I came, I wrote to the Chairman of the PNDC and told him we hadn’t approved it. “A PNDC meeting was called, right? I was able to get the background of the company from the United Kingdom and it showed that the company which was coming to partner the most viable financial institution in Ghana had only £200.00 as stated capital with all the PNDC Secretaries, Committee of Chairman making this thing. That is the job I did,” he noted. He said as then Chairman, Public Agreements Board, he was the gatekeeper against people, ministers and others trying to push through contracts agreements which were not in the national interest. He further told the Committee that he distinguished himself so creditably that unlike his predecessor who lasted for six months on the job, he was able to hold on to his position until the country once again entered into constitutional regime. With his experience in investigations and public prosecution, he said he is the best person for the job, daring the Committee to disapprove his nomination if it prefers a different person to that position. “If you want anybody who will be meticulous with investigations •Martin Amidu during the Special Prosecutor vetting and prosecutions, the President has made the best choice. But if you want somebody who will look the other way, just disapprove me,” he stressed.