Wigan's FREE local lifestyle magazine.
60 Eggs-cellent gesture A Pemberton retailer has pledged to gift a chocolate egg to every child attending Pemberton Community Association’s Easter party this year. Land of Beds responded to the not-for-profit group’s Facebook appeal for donations towards their Easter celebrations, where 80 local children are expected to attend. The news was welcomed by Helen Arrowsmith, chairman of the association, who said: “Funding is always a challenge, so we really appreciate every single donation we receive throughout the year. Our children’s party is set to be another great family occasion within the local community, and Land of Beds’ Easter eggs are sure to go down a treat! ‘On behalf of the association, I would like to thank Land of Beds’ managing director Mike Murray and all the team at Ellesmere Road, who have only recently moved into Pemberton.” The children’s party is set to take place at the Pemberton Masonic Hall on Chapel Street from 1pm-3pm on Easter Monday (April 2). Admission to the event is by ticket only; these are available to purchase from Pemberton Lighting at a cost of £4 per child. An entertainer and spot prizes will be provided, as well as lunch for every child with a ticket. Recently voted Britain’s ‘Retail Family Business of the Year’, Land of Beds invited junior members of Pemberton Old Wigan DW Band to play at the grand opening of their store, which is located at the former Abbott & Smith premises. Discussing his latest community contribution, father-of-two Mike said: “My children, who are aged eight and four, absolutely love Easter, so when we heard about Pemberton Community Association’s appeal, my wife and I instantly knew that we wanted to get involved. ‘Family values are at the heart of everything we do at Land of Beds, so we are delighted to be contributing to a local event that we know will bring a lot of happiness to families in Pemberton.” Sponsorship opportunities and donations continue to be welcomed by Pemberton Community Association. To express an interest or pledge support, contact Helen on 07925 867070.
61 Nursery plan for former Pemberton pub A former pub in Pemberton is set to be given a new lease of life if planning permission goes ahead. Proposals have been made to change the use of The White Lion pub to a children’s day nursery, which will be open from 7am-6pm, Monday to Friday for 51 weeks of the year. Papers submitted to Wigan Council say children will have access to the ground and first floor and walled outdoor area to the rear. But the changeover to a nursery will also provide job opportunities for the equivalent of 13 full-time staff. Four full time staff will have access to the secure car park on Major between 7am-8.30am on the large car park to the Street, Pemberton, and parking is available for 15 left of the building, with short stay drop off and staff on Church Street car park. But car sharing will pick-ups on Major Street and Worsley Street. be promoted among staff. For more information on this planning application, Parents/carers will be able to use drop off parking please visit https://apps.wigan.gov.uk/planapps/ Out of sight An Orrell student has been named as the UK’s top day release student by the Association of British Dispensing Opticians. Rachel Millbank (pictured) from Church Street, has combined working at Hepworth and Hall opticians on Ormskirk Road in Pemberton with studying one day a week at Bradford College. Rachel, who is 28, recently graduated with a degree in Ophthalmic Dispensing and was shocked to hear that she had won the national award, “I was shocked to learn about the national award but I was very proud of myself. The course has been hard work but the achievement makes it all worth it”. No so sweet charity Growth in the number of charity shops is hurting Wigan Council’s coffers. A report to councillors outlined the numerous issues facing the authority’s ability to raise revenue. And although Business Rates collected local can now be retained by Greater Manchester councils, rather than going back to the government, the amount raised is affected by the amount of charities operating in the borough. The report said: “An implication for the council is the increasing number of businesses being classified as charitable organisations. This classification is subject to an automatic 80% relief on business rates with the remaining 20% being subject to local discretion.” The report also warned again of the number of successful appeals against Business Rates, and warned that was likely to remain the case for some time: “The council has lost in excess of £5.5m business rates income since 2010 as a result of successful appeals.”
LocalLife Wigan Edition March 2018
Pemberton Road, Winstanley £180,00
NEW YEAR NEW LOOK! Multifuel Stoves
5 In this issue Water a great legac
7 NEW NEW NEW GREENFORD CLOSE, ORRE