Views
7 months ago

Fitzgerald's Town

courts were therefore on

courts were therefore on the outskirts of the township and somewhere on the land on which St. Patrick’s, the presbytery, and the Glebe subdivision now stand. In May 1887 the club held a novel and entertaining concert as a fund raising effort. The Lincoln and Burnham “Tableaux Vivants” offered their assistance and surprised their audience by the splendour of their costumes and the arrangement of their tableaux. The Burnham Band played appropriate selections for the various tableaux and some were loudly encored, “especially the last scene of Mary Queen of Scots preparing for her execution”. 22 Details of the last years of the 19 th century are uncertain, although the terms of sale of Mr. Wrights land to Bishop Grimes suggest that it was still in existence at the end of the century. There is still a tennis club in Lincoln, but it plays on hard courts and it is possible that the Lawn Tennis Club did not continue long into the 20th century. Swimming In March 1897 (The Press 10 March) a public meeting was held in the schoolroom to discuss the possibility of building swimming baths in Lincoln. 23 It was decided to take immediate action and a committee was elected to work with the school committee to implement the decision. The fact that a boy had drowned in the mill pond a few years earlier may have strengthened their resolve, but swimming baths had been built at other schools in surrounding districts as early as 1895 and the Lincoln decision would have been influenced by this trend. Those elected to the committee at the meeting were the Revd. Northcote, and Messrs Banks (the headmaster), Dunn, Rennie, Raven, McKenzie and Wilson. The swimming pool was built in a corner of the school playground. 24 It was 75 feet long, 27 feet wide, 3 feet 6 inches deep at the shallow end and 8 feet at the deepest end. It was filled with water taken from a race beginning at the Waimakariri River. An asphalt path ran around the pool which was enclosed by a corrugated iron fence on the south and eastern sides and by a macrocarpa hedge on the north and western sides. Public subscriptions, supplemented by a grant from the school committee, paid for the project, organised by a committee of Messrs James Doherty (chairman), William Bartram (secretary), J.C. Revell, Thomas Yarr, Henry Exon, D. Dunn, John McKenzie, James Walton, W. Banks, George Rennie, John Hay, Andrew McKay, and the Revds A.M. Wright and J. Northcote. William Rolleston MHR, and last Superintendent of Canterbury Province, formally 140

opened the baths, and during his speech remarked that the existing system of irrigation needed to be expanded for the continued development of the Canterbury Plains. After the formalities the afternoon was given over to competition during which Rolleston and the local MP officiated as judge and starter respectively. 50. Report of the Annual Carnival of the Lincoln Swimming Club for 1899. The Star. 8 November 1899. Courtesy of Papers Past. The drive to open swimming pools as seen in the late 19 th century has been reversed in recent years and today (2011) there is no pool in Lincoln available to the public although within the next few years there could be a new pool at Rolleston with the most modern facilities available for district use. 141

New Zealand's Premium Food & Wine Tourism Experiences
The 2012 Highlights Report of Universities New Zealand - Te Pōkai ...
S . A . G A L L E R Y SEPTEMBER —OCTOBER 1990 154 Art in the ...