Views
7 months ago

Fitzgerald's Town

1862 – Patrick

1862 – Patrick O’Reilly operates smithy in Robert Street. Advertisements for sale of sections in Lincoln subdivision appear in newspapers. 1863 – Sale of Lincoln sections underway. School transferred to building on land FitzGerald designated as Scotch Reserve. Tancred Report on education presented to Provincial Council. Springs Road Board and Lincoln Road Board elected in accordance with Provincial Council’s Road Board Ordinance. 1865 - The first ploughing match in the district held at Prebbleton. 1866 - Presbyterians build their first church. Provincial government builds primary school. 1867 – Moffat builds mill on the L1. A Lincoln team plays the first cricket match known to have been played in Lincoln. 1868 – Provincial government grants a wine and beer licence to Perthshire Arms hotel. 1869 – First official post office opens, probably in school house, when the local school master, H.C. Jacobson, takes on job of post master. The Lincoln Fair Company begins operations with a capital of 150 pounds. The Unsectarian Sunday School, supported by Presbyterians, Anglicans, and Baptists, starts at the Presbyterian church. 1870 – The first New Year sports meeting with horse and foot races held. 1871 – Roman Catholics build first church on Shands Track. The Lincoln Farmers’ Club formed. 1872 – The Lincoln Farmers’ Club holds its first show in the Fair Company’s grounds. Geddes’ Lincoln Brewery opens. Joseph Henry Sluis holds country hotel licence. 1874 – The Lincoln library opens. New bridge built across the L1. 1875 – The Lincoln railway station opens. Post office opens at the station. 1876 – First police station opens on Boundary Road. Anglicans build their first vicarage (now The Gables) on Gerald Street. 1877 – Bishop Harper dedicates St. Stephen’s Church. Baptists build chapel on Gerald Street. Site now the Vale commercial precinct. A new cricket club set up following demise of the first. 1878 – Joseph and Henry Clark open store in Market Square later taken over by the Howell brothers. 1879 – The Lincoln Farmers’ Club abandons its show. 1880 - The School of Agriculture opens with thirteen students. The Masonic Lodge established. The Star of Anglesea (Druids) Lodge opens. 176

1882 – First services held in the new Presbyterian church. FitzGerald conveys title of the River Reserve to the Crown. Lincoln Domain Board set up. 1883 – The Lincoln Fair Company ceases all operations. The first few miles of the Lincoln to Little River railway line opens. 1884 – New hotel opens on corner of Gerald Street and William Street. 1886 – The old Perthshire Arms hotel building renovated and becomes Lincoln’s town hall. Lincoln Lawn Tennis Club formed. The Lincoln to Little River railway line opens. 1888 – The third cricket club formed after the second had failed several years earlier. 1889 - The town hall burns to ground. 1893 – The right to vote granted to women. Druids build their hall; converted to Community Centre in 1961. 1898 – Swimming pool opened at Lincoln Primary School. 1900 – Library building, now known as Pioneer Hall, moves to present site on north-west corner of Market Square. 177

  • Page 1 and 2:

    FITZGERALD’S TOWN LINCOLN IN THE

  • Page 3 and 4:

    FOREWORD When Fitzgerald’s Town -

  • Page 5 and 6:

    The Methodists ....................

  • Page 7 and 8:

    LIST OF IMAGES The Lincoln and Dist

  • Page 9 and 10:

    42. Presbyterian Church, now Union

  • Page 11 and 12:

    INTRODUCTION I came to live in Linc

  • Page 13 and 14:

    In this context I acknowledge the h

  • Page 15 and 16:

    In June 1862 J. Ollivier & Sons adv

  • Page 17 and 18:

    period and the process was accelera

  • Page 19 and 20:

    THE BUYING OF LINCOLN As agricultur

  • Page 21 and 22:

    were to be found on the western sid

  • Page 23 and 24:

    anging between 12 pounds 10 shillin

  • Page 25 and 26:

    Mary Ann Blythen (née Page) was bo

  • Page 27 and 28:

    BUTCHER, BAKER AND CANDLESTICK MAKE

  • Page 29 and 30:

    The next blacksmith was Keith Forbe

  • Page 31 and 32:

    social centre which not only catere

  • Page 33 and 34:

    in local affairs as his brother alt

  • Page 35 and 36:

    9. Lincoln Store - Howell Brothers

  • Page 37 and 38:

    work, not without reason, for the w

  • Page 39 and 40:

    across the L1 and the mill pond whi

  • Page 41 and 42:

    worked from his cottage in Market S

  • Page 43 and 44:

    11. W. Bartram and Co. Calendar pos

  • Page 45 and 46:

    Bricklayer: William G. Jennings. Bu

  • Page 47 and 48:

    21. Southern Provinces Almanac, 189

  • Page 49 and 50:

    of Canterbury land, including much

  • Page 51 and 52:

    14. McLaren Clayton Mill owned by H

  • Page 53 and 54:

    was seen as a major disadvantage to

  • Page 55 and 56:

    James Gammack discussed the influen

  • Page 57 and 58:

    was decided to disband unless the c

  • Page 59 and 60:

    The Times also commented that the t

  • Page 61 and 62:

    “could walk through the grounds a

  • Page 63 and 64:

    17. H. E. Peryman’s threshing mil

  • Page 65 and 66:

    at public meetings where large comm

  • Page 67 and 68:

    The School of Agriculture 19. The S

  • Page 69 and 70:

    may have worked on the farm or arou

  • Page 71 and 72:

    6. Lyttelton Times. 25 June 1869. S

  • Page 73 and 74:

    DEVELOPING THE INFRASTRUCTURE 22. S

  • Page 75 and 76:

    where he was active in local and st

  • Page 77 and 78:

    end of the century is uncertain, bu

  • Page 79 and 80:

    24. A view of Lincoln Township look

  • Page 81 and 82:

    By the end of 1879 the Lincoln Road

  • Page 83 and 84:

    CONTINUING DEVELOPMENT The Railway

  • Page 85 and 86:

    surface. The following year there w

  • Page 87 and 88:

    However, there was increasing press

  • Page 89 and 90:

    Inevitably there were problems. Pre

  • Page 91 and 92:

    The line to Southbridge was officia

  • Page 93 and 94:

    29. The train from Little River ste

  • Page 95 and 96:

    opened. The post office worked from

  • Page 97 and 98:

    32. Report of an assault at Lincoln

  • Page 99 and 100:

    Some introduced plants, including t

  • Page 101 and 102:

    Sources and Notes 1. The Press 20 J

  • Page 103 and 104:

    READING, WRITING AND ARITHMETIC 34.

  • Page 105 and 106:

    As already mentioned, Mrs Tod taugh

  • Page 107 and 108:

    his tenure there was a period when

  • Page 109 and 110:

    when seasonal work on the farm call

  • Page 111 and 112:

    13. Ibid 1 August 1878, 25 July 187

  • Page 113 and 114:

    The Church of England The first chu

  • Page 115 and 116:

    It was clearly unsatisfactory that

  • Page 117 and 118:

    39. Lincoln Baptist Church assemble

  • Page 119 and 120:

    40. Presbyterian Church, now Union

  • Page 121 and 122:

    service, conducted by the Revd T. B

  • Page 123 and 124:

    42. Roman Catholic Church of the Re

  • Page 125 and 126:

    following from Fr. Foley dated Apri

  • Page 127 and 128:

    ladies and by the bachelors of the

  • Page 129 and 130:

    3. See map of original subdivision.

  • Page 131 and 132:

    44. Report of a new Lodge opened at

  • Page 133 and 134:

    travelled to New Zealand to inaugur

  • Page 135 and 136: healthy and prosperous community. 1
  • Page 137 and 138: PLAYING THE GAME Lincoln pioneers w
  • Page 139 and 140: At some stage the club must have go
  • Page 141 and 142: The club again fell on hard times,
  • Page 143 and 144: 47. The Lincoln Races. Lyttelton Ti
  • Page 145 and 146: A year later the Lincoln folk decid
  • Page 147 and 148: For the first few years competition
  • Page 149 and 150: Lawn Tennis Club A lawn tennis club
  • Page 151 and 152: opened the baths, and during his sp
  • Page 153 and 154: emergencies, and local dignitaries,
  • Page 155 and 156: KICKING UP THEIR HEELS Most pioneer
  • Page 157 and 158: Broadfield schools. In his response
  • Page 159 and 160: for some to entertain their fellow
  • Page 161 and 162: eceived. Of the soloists, Mrs. West
  • Page 163 and 164: The society was still in existence
  • Page 165 and 166: THE LIBRARY 55. Pioneer Hall - the
  • Page 167 and 168: establish a library was made in 187
  • Page 169 and 170: One was to accept the offer from th
  • Page 171 and 172: 56. The Coronation Library built in
  • Page 173 and 174: ACCIDENTS AND OTHER DISASTERS When
  • Page 175 and 176: narrow boot resembling those worn b
  • Page 177 and 178: The first doctor to live reasonably
  • Page 179 and 180: seriously ill with syphilis, agains
  • Page 181 and 182: THE END OF THE CENTURY Lincoln was
  • Page 183 and 184: agricultural and biological researc
  • Page 185: 58. The remains of the mill pond as
  • Page 189 and 190: Goulter M. C. 1957. Sons of France.
  • Page 191: FitzGerald’s Town tells the story
New Zealand's Premium Food & Wine Tourism Experiences
The 2012 Highlights Report of Universities New Zealand - Te Pōkai ...
S . A . G A L L E R Y SEPTEMBER —OCTOBER 1990 154 Art in the ...