Views
7 months ago

Fitzgerald's Town

opposite the Challenge!

opposite the Challenge! Service Station and soon to be the site of a new library and service centre for Selwyn District Council. Although there were tradesmen in the village from the earliest days it is often difficult to uncover details of them. The first shopkeeper was Samuel Fleming who advertised himself as baker, confectioner and storekeeper. On 24 January 1871 he bought a section (Lot 1 Block VII), fronting Leinster Terrace and James St.(now 13 Liffey Place and 3 James St.) for 14 pounds, now subdivided into 15 Liffey Place and 3 James Street next door to the fire station. Five years later he sold his business to John Howard and Henry Dartnall, Springston storekeepers, for 280 pounds 18 . The huge capital gain cannot be attributed solely to the opening of the railway a year earlier, but implies major improvements such as a bake house, a shop, and doubtless a cottage. We know that he sold bread and other baking, but we can only surmise that his store sold a variety of goods needed by a pioneer community. From July 1871 he took on the role of postmaster and it is probable that locals collected their mail from his store. The Flemings’ involvement in village life is sketchy, but Samuel was a member of the New Year sports committee, Mrs. Fleming helped at Presbyterian Church tea meetings, and son W. Matthew Fleming helped organise the New Year sports meeting for 1879. It seems that the Flemings lived in Lincoln for a few years after the sale of their bakery and store. When the Southbridge railway line opened in 1875 the Post Office was moved to the railway station on South Belt at the end of Robert Street, and J. Frame was appointed to the dual positions of stationmaster and postmaster. 24

9. Lincoln Store – Howell Brothers c1900 Others who followed included Christchurch storekeepers Joseph and Henry Clarke, father and son who in August 1876 bought two sections, on which the medical centre now stands, for 40 pounds 19 Two years later they borrowed 450 pounds, using the sections as security, presumably to build a store and to begin business in Lincoln. Unfortunately they failed to meet their mortgage payments and in 1879 the property was bought by local farmer Richard Wright who rented it to Ethelbert Thomas Howell and his brother Herbert Butler Howell, general storekeepers who had moved from Prebbleton. Three years later they leased it and then in April 1894 bought the property to become Lincoln’s principal storekeepers, dealing in groceries, hardware, seeds and drapery, and acting as agents for the Union Insurance company. When Herbert died in 1904, aged 53, Ethelbert retired leaving his two sons, Harold and Charles, to run the business until they sold it in September 1914. Subsequently Charles worked for the former Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) and Harold was employed as a cabinet maker. The Howells probably lived in the accommodation built onto the river side of the store when they moved to Lincoln, but in 1894 they bought ½ an acre (Lots 4 and 5, Block IV) formerly 25

The Star: July 27, 2017
Style: August 03, 2017
Bay Harbour: July 12, 2017
Bay Harbour: November 30, 2016
Bay Harbour: May 04, 2016
Bay Harbour: October 26, 2016
The Star: January 11, 2018
Bay Harbour: April 19, 2017
Bay Harbour: May 11, 2016
New Zealand's Premium Food & Wine Tourism Experiences
St Pauls Papanui Cemetery - Christchurch City Libraries
The Star: July 27, 2017
The Star: January 04, 2018
Christchurch - Audley Travel
Bay Harbour: March 01, 2017
Bay Harbour: August 31, 2016
Bay Harbour: March 08, 2017
The Star: June 30, 2016
Bay Harbour: January 18, 2017
Bay Harbour: August 24, 2016
Bay Harbour: March 22, 2017
Bay Harbour: June 08, 2016
Local History Resources - Christchurch City Libraries
The Star: July 28, 2016
Style: July 06, 2017
Directory - Tourist Guide - Bartercard Travel