2 weeks ago

Fitzgerald's Town

to pay compensation

to pay compensation action in the Supreme Court followed. Two local farmers, William Tod and Henry White, were appointed to assess the cost involved and on their evidence Guild was awarded 73 pounds 2 shillings and 6 pence in compensation 8 . For some years the nearest pound was at Templeton outside the Springs Road Board area. This unsatisfactory situation changed in December 1869 when the Springs Road Board offered the Lincoln Township Fair Company a rental for the use of its yards, adjacent to Lincoln school, as a pound 9 . The offer was accepted, and in May 1870 the Superintendent, W.R. Rolleston, declared the yards a pound under the terms of the Trespass of Cattle Ordinance, 1869, and following the Board’s recommendation appointed the local schoolmaster, Howard Charles Jacobson, the first pound keeper 10 . When Mr. Jacobson left Lincoln in 1874 Joseph Sluis, proprietor of the Perthshire Arms, was appointed to the position, but resigned within a few months of taking the job, forcing the Road Board to find a new keeper from 1 January 1875. This was difficult because there was no house at or near the pound and the Board hoped that the Fair Company would agree to build a cottage on their property, but there was a reluctance to do so. However, when John Goodrick was appointed to the position later in the year the company compromised by allowing him to use their rooms free of charge. Unfortunately Mr. Goodrick died soon afterwards and when the acting keeper’s resignation soon followed, the Board was forced to close the pound “until further notice”. The problems were resolved, for some years later George Ackerman Smith complained that the pound keeper, Mark Finch, had overcharged him, but the Board declined to act because in their view the matter should be resolved between the complainant and the keeper 11 . By this time the Fair Company was no longer active and so when the school committee wanted access to the pound pump they sought permission from both the Road Board and the Fair Company. The Road Board responded by informing the committee that the position of the pound was under review and that it might be relocated to a more central position, and the Fair Company allowed use of the pump. Nevertheless the Board continued using the Fair grounds for several more years until in 1886 it was asked to leave. The Board was given two months to look for a new location and in September of that year the clerk was asked to prepare plans for a new pound to be located at the Springston gravel reserve on the corner of Ellesmere Junction Road and Rattletrack Road 12 . A tender from Alsop, M’Clintock and Co. for 91 pounds was accepted in November and in December the new structure was leased to a Mr Sly, for 16 pounds a year 13 . The history of the pound from 1886 to the 66

end of the century is uncertain, but it is noted that in 1893 residents asked the Road Board to form the surface of North Belt from the old pound, by then part of the school grounds, to the Domain. The rivers and streams in the district needed to be bridged, and at Lincoln the L1, dividing the village into two parts, was a priority. The L1 in Lincoln must have been bridged from the beginning, but the first mention of a bridge is an advertisement in the Lyttelton Times of 4 July 1867 in which the Springs Road Board warns that the bridge was unsafe for heavy traffic until it had been repaired. Six years later the Board reported that the bridge was sound, but that the worn decking was not worth the cost of asphalting, a decision which resulted in the Board paying compensation of one pound one shilling for cancelling a contract for the work. At about the same time residents asked that the bridge be raised, and a plan for this work was submitted to the Board, but again action was deferred because of cost. Nevertheless, a replacement for the existing bridge was needed and so in November 1873 the Road Board offered a prize of ten pounds ten shillings for the best design submitted to it. A few months later the Provincial Government agreed to contribute 400 pounds towards the cost of a new bridge on condition that construction was supervised by the Provincial Engineer 14 . Finally in May 1874 the Road Board invited tenders for an iron girder bridge to be built to the design by John Anderson of Christchurch, but whether he was awarded the prize is not known. However, a claim by a Mr. Cuff for a design submitted by him was rejected. In May 1874 the contract was awarded to John Anderson’s company, the Canterbury Iron Foundry. On 26 December 1874 The Press reported that the new bridge, 35 feet long and 21 feet wide, with stone abutments, wing walls, iron railings and a wooden floor was near completion. The bridge still stands today although there have been various modifications, the latest of which was the erection of new iron rails and lights as a village millennium project. It is assumed that the new bridge was built at a higher level than the old bridge in order to allow for the recently created mill pond. The remains of a road possibly leading to a bridge at a lower level and slightly to the side of the present bridge can still be seen today. For many years there was only one bridge, an inconvenience for villagers who in 1891 asked the Springs Road Board for a traffic bridge to cross the river 15 at North Belt. Instead the Board built a fence across the road to prevent the unwary from injury by falling over the steep edge of the 67

The 2012 Highlights Report of Universities New Zealand - Te Pōkai ...
S . A . G A L L E R Y SEPTEMBER —OCTOBER 1990 154 Art in the ...
New Zealand's Premium Food & Wine Tourism Experiences