2 weeks ago

Fitzgerald's Town

for its approval to move

for its approval to move the building referred the library committee to the Domain Board which was considered the body responsible. The move signalled that the centre of activity had really moved from the north eastern end of the village to the commercial area in and around Market Square and is described in greater detail in the chapter relating to the library. The Road Board was responsible for overseeing the health of the community. Accordingly, when there were outbreaks of diphtheria, as was case when Dr Guthrie and Dr. Cooke were practising, the Board was informed and at the close of its meeting formed into a Health Board to discuss the situation 19 . Earlier when there were health concerns regarding the ponding of water under houses, the Board not only improved the drains, in its role as the local Health Board, but also appointed an inspector of nuisances 20 . New immigrants who obtained work with road boards were often housed in cottages built by the boards with help from the Provincial Government. This topic has been thoroughly discussed by R.A. Chapman (1999) 21 who confirms the presence of immigrant cottages next to the Police Station on Boundary Road. These, built by the Lincoln Road Board, seem to have been the only cottages close to Lincoln, although there were some on Springs Road opposite the Prebbleton cemetery, and others were built at, or close to, Springston on land later used as a gravel pit, then as a rubbish dump and now by the Springston pony club. The cottages were never intended to be permanent homes, but rather to give immigrant families a chance to become established before looking for a home of their own. Because of this road boards were sometimes asked by the government to evict existing tenants in order to make way for a new influx of immigrants who needed a home in order to take up a job to which they had been directed. In 1864 the Government Gazette gave notice that an area of 18.5 acres in the Lincoln road district fronting the Lincoln and Coal Tramway Road (Boundary Road) was set aside for a gravel pit and designated Reserve 343. Fifteen years later an area of 7 acres 1 rood and 5 perches was separated from the reserve for use as a public cemetery, thus relieving pressure on the public cemetery at Springston 22 . The Gazette notice also recorded that William Henry Peryman, William Prebble, Stephen Cole Moule, Patrick Henley, and James Osborne were appointed trustees of the Lincoln and Prebbleton cemeteries both of which came under the jurisdiction of the Lincoln Road Board. W.H. Peryman was first chairman of this Board. 70

By the end of 1879 the Lincoln Road Board reported that fencing at the Lincoln cemetery was nearly finished, that the land had been cleared of gorse and tussock, that the area had been ploughed and sown in grass, and that the secretary was to invite applications from the different denominations for their required plots. However, progress was slow and in May 1880 the chairman reported that the cemetery was not yet ready for burials. Gates had to be altered, more fences were needed, and better arrangements were needed to hold the horses of those coming on horseback for horses were not allowed beyond the entrance gates 23 . Beside the responsibility of putting the cemetery in order the Board had to draw up regulations for the control and management of cemeteries at Prebbleton and Lincoln. These involved the rights of those purchasing plots, the duties of the appointed sexton, and the Board’s responsibility in the management of the cemetery. The Sexton’s duties included those of digging graves, to be “properly habited” at each burial, and of keeping the cemetery in good order. It was the Board’s responsibility to maintain proper records of burials and plots purchased and to make these available on request for a fee of 2 shillings, but not on Sundays and holidays. There were also strict regulations regarding the construction of vaults and any coffins placed in a vault were to be lined with lead and securely soldered. Further, all work necessary for the building or opening of a vault, including the provision of tools, had to be supplied by those applying for the work. Vaults have never been used in either cemetery. The Lincoln Road Board was not only responsible for the Lincoln cemetery. Because the Board boundary ran along Boundary Road, James Street to East Belt, along East Belt and then along Edward Street, the areas to the north and east of these streets were administered by the Lincoln Road Board. Thus when the Presbyterians or the library committee wanted footpaths, or some other service they turned to the Lincoln Road Board for help. As the district grew road boards became counties and in doing so assumed greater responsibilities for their regions. Springs Road Board became Springs County in 1911 and in the 1960’s merged with its neighbour to become Ellesmere County which recently amalgamated with others to form the Selwyn District Council stretching from the coast to Arthurs Pass. This trend may not be over and the possibility exists that Lincoln and its surrounding district may soon become a suburb of greater Christchurch. 71

The 2012 Highlights Report of Universities New Zealand - Te Pōkai ...
New Zealand's Premium Food & Wine Tourism Experiences
S . A . G A L L E R Y SEPTEMBER —OCTOBER 1990 154 Art in the ...