2 weeks ago

Look Inside Young Adult Road Map

5 Guiding Star Point

5 Guiding Star Point five: Find Support Part Two: Be Aware of Your Emotions and Behavior Six Questions to Determine if You Need Additional Support: walk beside me Companioning is a term that describes how a family member or friend can “walk beside you” to give advice and support or help you make decisions. The family member or friend doesn’t take over or make the decisions for you. That person might show you how to do a task or might explain a task and watch as you do it. (For example, the person might say, “When you call the Medicaid helpline, here are three things to say. I’ll stand right here and listen.”) As you make choices, he or she might say, “How did that work for you?” or “Have you thought of this?” However, you choose to have that person involved, you take the actions, and you make the final decisions. Building this type of relationship isn’t always easy, especially if that person is a parent or other family member who had authority over you as a child. This is a big adjustment in your lives! It takes patience. It takes a willingness to speak honestly, listen to the other’s point of view, and start over when things aren’t working. 1. What are you feeling right now and why? Write down what you are feeling and possible causes for those feelings. 2. Are you feeling safe right now? Why or why not? 3. If you are not feeling safe, whom can you contact? Examples might include family members, friends, case manager, therapist, or crisis hotlines. Follow the directions provided by your support network. This might include getting an appointment to see your service provider earlier than planned, having your medication adjusted, or (if necessary) getting temporary inpatient treatment. 4. After speaking with your support network, how do you feel? If you feel fine, that’s great! Continue to follow your plan. If you do not feel safe, continue through the rest of the questions. 5. If you cannot contact your support network, what is the next step? This might include calling a crisis hotline or going to your local mental health center to be assessed for further treatment. 6. If you still don’t feel safe, what is your next move? You may need to go directly to your local mental health center (which may be called a Community Mental Health Agency) for assessment. If that’s not possible and you need immediate help, you may need to call Mobile Crisis or 911. Part Three: Build Your Network of Trust Your goal as an independent adult is to use your own voice and make as many of your own decisions as possible. However, we are really “interdependent,” because we all need help from one another sometimes. (In fact, some transition programs for young adults now feature “interdependent living” options. For example, a less experienced young adult might share an apartment with a more experienced roommate who can teach basic skills. (This is someone with whom the young adult is not romantically involved.) Here are some ways that trusted people in your life might handle decisions about finances (money and bills) or health care. A Durable Power of Attorney (POA) is a legal process for giving a trusted friend or relative the right to handle certain responsibilities for you when you are not physically or mentally able to do so. For example, this trusted friend or relative may pay bills or make medical decisions for you in the event of a serious accident or mental incapacity. 58

I had a huge fight with my mom. She talks to my therapist like I’m not in the room. I can’t take this! Well...I don’t really want...but still... You ought to quit. You don’t need therapy. Stand up for yourself! Maybe SPEAK up for yourself first?? But I can’t say that. I’ll sound like an idiot. We went to a new therapist yesterday and my mom did all the talking. As usual. I HATE that. Well, that might work... You ought to move out. Period. End of subject. Sometimes I need to remind my dad when to let me take the lead. You have to speak up. That went okay. I’m glad I spoke up. The two types of documents needed are the Medical (Healthcare) Power of Attorney and the Financial Power of Attorney. It’s important to know that a POA does not give away your power to make decisions. It only takes effect during the time that you are unable to make decisions. You may also revoke (take back) a POA at any time by filing another legal document. You may give POA to another person without going to court. To find the forms you need, search on the words “power of attorney” to find free and low-cost legal templates (fill in forms). Be sure to choose the template for the state where you live and follow all of the instructions. You don’t need a lawyer to get any of these documents. Guardianship (called conservatorship in some states) is a state court proceeding in which a person is given the legal right to make decisions for someone else. A guardian or conservator can be appointed to make decisions for a person who is under age 18 or is unable to make decisions because of a permanent disability. During this legal process, the court appoints a lawyer to act as guardian ad litem (advocate for the child or person with a disability) to gather information about the person’s choices. If a person is disabled, the court tries to make sure the person agrees to give up his or her rights to make legal decisions. The person may be asked to choose who they want the court to appoint as guardian or conservator. Ordinarily, a person who has a guardian or conservator cannot legally sign a contract (or use a credit card). The guardian/conservator must handle all financial and other legal decisions, including where that person will live. Arranging a guardianship or conservatorship can cost between $500-$2000, depending on where you live and the details of the case. “I” Statements that Lead to Answers Mental Health America offers a short set of “I” statements (such as “I think I’m showing symptoms”) to help you decide whether and how to get help. Each statement is linked to a source of information or support. Go to im-looking-mental-health-help-myself. 59